Skill Tree Format Questions

GeneGene Posts: 98
edited June 2009 in General Modding
Howdy all, I've got a pair(-ish) of questions regarding skill trees that I would much appreciate being answered (if possible, of course).

---From what I read there will be a 'General' tree that all classes have access to, but beyond that, how many skill trees will each class have (one or two, I assume)?

---Following that, how many skills will we be allowed to put in a single tree? Will there be a hard cap to the number?
Building on the above, will the trees be 'scrollable?' By this I mean, if we have a large number of skills in a single tree that are stretched out over a number of levels, will there be any ability to put a scrollbar into the tree so we can scroll down to see more skills (ex. Hypothetically a skill tree can only display five lines worth of skills; if I put in, say, seven lines of skills, will I have some way to access the other two lines?)?

Anyways, thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. :D

Comments

• In addition to his questions,

Will the 'general' tree be able to be reassigned to a Class-Specific tree in mods?

Will the layout of the trees be editable, as well as the breakpoint numbers for learning a new skill? Will we be able to set any requirements for learning skills beyond a prerequisite skill and a level for the first time you learn the skill?

Will we be able to edit the level cap of the skills? What about the level cap for learning the next level of a skill? (e.g. In Diablo 2, if you wanted Clay Golem, you had to be Level 6. If you wanted Clay Golem to have 2 hard points you had to be Level 7. Is it possible to edit this to require a player to be Level 9 before putting a second point into the skill?)
  • cfphelpscfphelps Posts: 33
    I'll give stab at 'em from what I think/remember to have read, but this is by no means definitive ;)
    ---From what I read there will be a 'General' tree that all classes have access to, but beyond that, how many skill trees will each class have (one or two, I assume)?

That's all I've really heard about it as well, I don't believe the number of trees has been confirmed yet, but maybe someone who played at E3 (or has seen/remembered something I didn't) can give more info.
    ---Following that, how many skills will we be allowed to put in a single tree? Will there be a hard cap to the number?
    Building on the above, will the trees be 'scrollable?' By this I mean, if we have a large number of skills in a single tree that are stretched out over a number of levels, will there be any ability to put a scrollbar into the tree so we can scroll down to see more skills (ex. Hypothetically a skill tree can only display five lines worth of skills; if I put in, say, seven lines of skills, will I have some way to access the other two lines?)?

I get the feeling you should be able to do quite a bit with the AI in terms of modding it so all your skills can be viewed. Here's a quote from Travis (who was in turn quoting Marsh):
    Bebop wrote:
    So we are using CEGUI for our UI. You should be able to overwrite the XML files to come up with any kind of UI look you like. With that said, there are some basic core UI functionality that you can't overwrite - for example the menu's that slide in and out from the right and left. You can change the layout on those windows but that's all. Hope that makes some kind of sense.

You can actually do a bit more than that - you could change the dimensions of those, their animations for displaying ( or remove the animations entirely ), and the position and dimensions of the layout on top of them. They're a bit funky,a s it is a combination of a 3d element and 2d overlays that are pinned to it, but that IS alterable.

Travis

From what I've heard elsewhere you can create your own skills, and since it does seem to be possible (provided you know how to create or modify their UI screens as necessary) to modify the UI, I don't see why you couldn't get all your skills to display.

As far as some of the skill level breakpoints, I would think since you can completely create your own new skills, you'd have to be setting them at a certain level requirement, so you should be able to either adjust them somewhere in the PrEditor, or failing that, just "copy" the skill you wanted to change, and set the value to it as if it was a new skill. This does however assume that level will be a set requirement for skills, which I'm not sure if that has been confirmed to be the case yet.

Anyways, hope that was helpful, or at the very least, starts off discussion that will be helpful :P
  • GeneGene Posts: 98
    Spiffy, thanks! My biggest concern was the UI for skills, but since we'll be able to mod it, I don't think I need to be concerned anymore. :D