Level Design Tip Thread

OmnifasOmnifas Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭
edited November 2010 in Levels
Level Design is a long task, and making things look pretty is even longer, so why not?

Why Not a tip thread to make it a little easier, so if you have a design tip, give it here.

I'll go first

Does a Prop made to work standing on the ground need to be for ground decoration? NO, they look just as good as ceiling decorations with the correct height and placement the part that isn't shown on the ground can't be seen.
11202009045045923.png

Dual Monitor, put the palette on the second display(not my tip, but still very useful)

Comments

• AsprosAspros Posts: 79
    1. Take some graph paper and get a basic layout of the flow of your dungeon chunk before you start working in the editor.

2. Use the noshadow version of floor tiles for areas you don't want the player to explore to keep monsters and objects from spawning there.

3. Familiarize yourself with the hotkeys. They speed up level creation by 500%!

4. Restart the editor every now and then, especially after deleting massive parts of your level.
  • 1. Work out the gameplay and the flow of your level before adding too many details

2. Also for the inaccessable areas set the collisions and "visible on map" to false
  • JunoJuno Posts: 19
    1. Holding shift and right clicking allows you to select multiple objects, which is useful if you have to change the variables for a ton of stuff.

2. Try to keep in mind what the player will be able to see when they play the map. This prevents you from wasting time on building cool side rooms that will never be noticed, or fattening up your map with construction that doesn't need to be there. Torch cam does kind of **** this tip up, but it's going to be a trade off.

3.Setting objects so that they cannot collide obviously means your character can pass through them. In addition to this, however, characters can also pass UNDER them. keeping this in mind could result in some REALLY hidden rooms (placing a secret covered passage with an entrance pointing towards the top of the screen, for example).
  • NeuzlNeuzl Posts: 76
    1. Go to Options -> Check Layout and run Start Check, it will detect unnecessary duplicates and you can then delete them.
  • Aspros wrote:
    . Familiarize yourself with the hotkeys. They speed up level creation by 500%!

This is totally true. Shift + Arrow keys will duplicate an object. Ctrl + left or right will rotate an object. Ctrl + up or down will move an object on the vertical axis. Those 3 alone have quadrupled my workflow!
  • MattSMattS Posts: 78
    Juno wrote:
    1. Holding shift and right clicking allows you to select multiple objects, which is useful if you have to change the variables for a ton of stuff.

Wow thanks for this. Ive tried shift/ctrl+left click and no luck!
  • Save often! I just lost an hour of work when TorchED crashed...
  • OmnifasOmnifas Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭
    Save often! I just lost an hour of work when TorchED crashed...

Hahah great tip
    Related with gorogorosama's tip, save before going into game mode, you might accidentally exit game-mode by closing TorchED instead of pressing the stop button.
  • Save often! I just lost an hour of work when TorchED crashed...
    Omnifas wrote:
    Related with gorogorosama's tip, save before going into game mode, you might accidentally exit game-mode by closing TorchED instead of pressing the stop button.

If Torched does crash, or you accidentally close the editor without saving it is possible to recover your work. Check your Torched folder for temp.layout. Every time you switch to Game Mode in the editor to test it creates a temp.layout file.

I can't take credit for this tip. It was originally posted by a developer in another thread that escapes my mind at the moment. Either way, I hope it helps.
  • LayoutChecker

Located under, Options -> Check Layout.

It removes duplicate pieces (not sure if it also does props but it definitely does walls & floors).

I find it really helpful for catching pieces of wall or floor where I've hit 'Shift' without noticing it (double floor pieces do show up on the map as a slightly darker piece but trying to find dupes like this is a pain in the . . .).

The Checker also allows you to not delete dupes / check them out before deleting, too.
  • oh wow, that temp.layout is fantastic! thanks.
  • Tip 1: When placing doors, do not rotate them at 45 degree angles. They will appear in game just fine, but they will not open.

Tip 2: If you are making your own props. a hanging lantern on a post for example, create a group, and place all of the pieces of the prop inside the group. This makes it much easier to locate, move, and duplicate your prop.

Tip 3: Create a no-spawn safe zone near the entrance to your level , using the no-spawn Property node. There is nothing fun about being killed by multiple mobs of monsters before the loading screen disappears completely. ;)

Tip 4: Don't forget to set the Dungeon Rules of your level in the Options screen located in the lower right hand corner of Torched. This will allow you to test your level in the editor using the Ambient light, and monster/item spawn that will appear in the game itself.

Tip5: Using the same Options screen located in the lower right hand corner of Torched you can test your level with spawning monsters within the editor by setting the Populate, and/or Populate Champions flags to True. Very useful for testing the general game play and figuring out where to place no spawns to prevent monsters from getting stuck in level without having to boot up the game every time you need to adjust something.

Thanks to everyone who has posted in this thread. I have learned some really cool things. Keep them coming. :D
  • Save Selection As.

If you find yourself working within one tile set and hate re-setting up triggers for every level then Save Selection As works a treat.

Just select everything you want saved (for example, a logic group, unit spawn, trigger sphere for spawning spiders) and then Save Selection As.

Now when you need to make a quick spider spawner all you have to do is 'Merge Layout' and it will include in the saved selection.

Saves a heap of time. :D
  • CTRL + A,S,D,W,Q,E keys speeds up the level scrolling speed. Useful if you need to scan a really huge level.
    Pressing R while the workspace is active/selected will reset the cam's orientation.

I have a few questions of my own... does anyone know what are the proper mechanics of level creation:
    (a) Especially, are strata layouts randomly generated if no level design is specified?
    (b) Is a level design specific to any selected stratum? Is an exit chunk as essential as an entrance chunk for a level to work in torchlight?
    Torched Templates:
    Map Merchant ; Random Talking NPC ;
    Rashnu's Tear Dungeon @ viewtopic.php?f=20&t=14861
    @ http://vrkmods.viviti.com/
    Looks like Im back in this thread :P

I just ALMOST experienced heartbreak, 10 hours of work ALMOST went in the gutter. I saved after a corrupted memory error when I used a "bad" unit trigger I made and the layout got corrupted, and at the same time the backup saved :shock: . I fixed it by deleting the bad unit in the editor and the unit trigger from the layout file manually.

So the tip: ALWAYS SAVE AS. Create a folder and save as all the time for every single layout. Dont want to lose your work over some corruption.
  • ArmatusArmatus Posts: 22
    Here's a tip, make many many group folders if you are working on a multi-layered level with varying floors. This helps by knowing which group of pieces belong and help if you want to move a bunch of pieces at the same time together with the ctrl button. This is a solution to a problem I face constantly where I click on a room piece I want to select but it ignores it and goes to another piece I don't want to alter, this get's frustrating.
  • AttackGorillaAttackGorilla Posts: 1,656
    edited August 2010
    You can use monsters as props, especially if you scale them. Then you can adjust their animations speed and set the animation to loop.

sneak_hellmode.jpg
    Create a "fake" larger tile by adding 12, 16, 20, 24 to the horizontal snap value of the tile. 3x3 tiles is 12, 4x4 is 16. Helps when making huge maps.
    Got a Great tip for those like myself that don't know how to retexture a tilepiece.

I needed a **** scene, and I don't know how to texture something, so I compromised and did this instead:
    Use a generic model, select the model file of a blend floor piece(the circular texture that blends on the floor, sunken temple has a few labeled decals) and override the texture with the blood texture in the particle texture folder.
    11282010021352907.png
    Note, the blood under the mercs are using, cliffside_flower_blend.
    The others are from Sunken temple decal 5.