Trap skills, worth taking?

EledEled Posts: 79
edited January 2010 in Vanquisher Discussions
If so, which are, which aren't.

Comments

• LillisLillis Posts: 189
    Unfortunately I haven't used traps all that much myself (merely briefly tried out Flechette, to be honest), but I've heard rather bad stuff about the fire-based trap (iirc, it's damage doesn't scale well at all).
  • They are good at keeping low health or slow mobs at bay, but you can not rely on them as your main source of damage, IMHO.
  • Flechette and Shock are pretty good once you get them, especially paired with Devouring.

Fire is...I almost want to say underrated, but it's really unreliable. It works great against non fire-resistant mobs, but against anything with resists...
    112620091755188572.jpg
    not so great :?

Lightning Bomb should get you out of most situations though, it works fairly well even through the end of the campaign if you level it. The hit on that thing is really wonky, sometimes it hits for minimal damage, sometimes it'll hit the same monster twice, sometimes it'll crit for ridiculous amounts.
  • Traps need a mod to scale slightly with weapon damage for late game. :D
  • QuestionQuestion Posts: 322
    Im kinda surprised that traps dont scale.

One point into devouring trap is awesome for -30% armor.
  • They scale, just not with your stats. They scale with your level, as in your traps will always be at your level.
    Of course, that means that no matter how great your gear is, the traps will do the same at each level.
    OTOH, the upside is you can have **** luck with gear drops and still always drop traps that do great damage...
  • UnDefiler wrote:
    the upside is you can have **** luck with gear drops and still always drop traps that do great damage...
    Where are those traps with great damage? At level 71 (my level and mob level) even low health mobs are slowly working their way through both of my level 10 flech traps. Some mobs are not even slowed down/damaged much by them at all.
  • jamesLjamesL Posts: 3,568
    edited November 2009
    are traps considered minions and if so, would they be boosted by Pet Mastery ?
    also, are traps considered weapons ? because magic increases weapon elemental damage, but I'm assuming traps are not considered weapons and that magic doesn't increase elemental damage of traps
    I don't have a sig
  • ergates wrote:
    UnDefiler wrote:
    the upside is you can have **** luck with gear drops and still always drop traps that do great damage...
    Where are those traps with great damage? At level 71 (my level and mob level) even low health mobs are slowly working their way through both of my level 10 flech traps. Some mobs are not even slowed down/damaged much by them at all.

He meant to say on the other hand traps **** regardless of your gear :lol:
  • Shock trap at lvl 10 increases all damage by 63% when it is up Since I always have it up I am doing that much more damage, and it does some electrical damage to foes near me for a little bonus. Whats not to like about 63% more damage?
  • drglock wrote:
    Shock trap at lvl 10 increases all damage by 63% when it is up Since I always have it up I am doing that much more damage, and it does some electrical damage to foes near me for a little bonus. Whats not to like about 63% more damage?

Um, I'm fairly sure that bonus is appleid to the *trap*. Not you. Same for Ember Sentry and the Golems.
  • drglock wrote:
    Shock trap at lvl 10 increases all damage by 63% when it is up Since I always have it up I am doing that much more damage, and it does some electrical damage to foes near me for a little bonus. Whats not to like about 63% more damage?

Um, I'm fairly sure that bonus is appleid to the *trap*. Not you. Same for Ember Sentry and the Golems.

The text for all of the trap spells (and yes, Ember sentry too) clearly say bonus to "all" damage. If you read the golem spells it says "gets upgraded damage" If it were the same for the traps and the sentry it would read the same. "All Damage" means just that.... all damage is increased by ****% for the duration of the spell.
  • phoolphool Posts: 19
    The question isn't what the skill says, it's what it does.

I think you'll find TormakSaber's correct.
  • Eled wrote:
    If so, which are, which aren't.
    IN the early game, I found them mostly worthless. By the time I got to the black lair, however, I had flechette trap at 10 and devouring trap at 1. They are not an army of doom, but they served two useful purposes for me.

a) They allow me to see off the screen. I could throw a trap up the stairs and if it started shooting at stuff, I knew there was potentially something deadly waiting for me.
    b) They can interrupt, which means they can slow down the speed at which monsters get to me.
    c) Very handy for Ordrak... not only do they help chip away at his health, but they also interrupt and reduce his summons

One final little trap trick.... when you go through those teleports in the black lair, your traps go with you. Since you never quite know what is waiting for you on the other side, something to slow down the mobs and reduce their HP is very, very nice. Since I play ****, every little bit helps.
  • lightning bomb scales extremly well off of your magic attribute. just to test things out i used a respec potion on my character, used the respec stats mod and switched to a high magic build on my vanquisher and lightning bomb is doing good damage actually. the thing is it isnt effected by weapon damage, so instead of trying to get gear with +physical and elemental damage you have to stack up gear with as much +magic attribute as possible. it gets like 150% of magic attribute to damage.

the lightning trap damage also seemed to go up quite a bit when i went with this build, but traps dont list numbers like spells and do a large range of damage so its hard for me to say for 100% sure that it was doing more damage than before or if i was just getting really lucky... but it sure seemed like it was scaling off magic attribute really well.

i sort of lost interest in my vanquisher in her late 20's when i saw how pitiful most of her skills were compared to a destroyer, but i was messing around last night respeccing her skills and stats just to try new things, and to be honest i think going with a lightning bomb / lightning trap / wind of justice build was one of the most powerful characters ive had at her level. you just have to spec heavily into magic attribute instead of going the standard dex route.

made me want to play her again, so i guess ill see how it does as i level up higher.
  • I haven't taken a single trap point. Mostly I go old school and use my weapons -- with 1pt of Venomous Dirks for if I get mobbed. I haven't yet seen the reason for anything else, though I'm sure a lot of fun could be had by trying out the different combos. But it was more important for me to get both Armour and Block up to 10 so I didn't keep dying on single hits.
  • TheOgreTheOgre Posts: 90
    Traps are definitely fun. I was rather blown away how Flame Trap with a single point in it at level 5 basically vaporized non-resistants (ie, most things, at that level) that came into range before I could even get the mouse over to the targets in order to toss off a Lightning Bomb or two in support... [still early on that Vanq, but I'll probably respec out of Flame once Flechette shows up]
  • I think so, but I haven't really tried anything else either... I put 1 point in each trap and stacked them around corners before I moved into potential armies. They slow things down and actually do a pretty good job of killing, though I suppose they don't scale well which is only a problem with insane gear. I guess that means you get the respec mod and just aoe with something like explosive shot when you have something good. Personally I didn't like explosive shot but I also didn't have the weapon or the dex for it (I was being a newb and using wands and magic points lol, and lightning bomb was twice as good as a 500 dps rifle I had).
  • chenrychenry Posts: 3
    I use a lvl 10 flechette trap and it is absolutely fantastic. I drop two of them and they support me while i use explosive shot on the rest of the mobs. It works amazingly well, I think. Paired up with my 700dmg rifle + explosive shot, I deal like 1500+ dmg a shot, and my flechette traps deal out a 500 or so damage. Works great especially against bigger enemies like the trolls and such.
  • Trap skills in my experience make for great support, but they're not so powerful that you can toss 'em around and never worry about actually attacking until you're ridiculously maxed out on them.

Flechette Traps don't seem to scale up quite so well as the Shock Trap, but with their fast rate of fire they have more chances to interrupt; anything that keeps those monsters away from my ranged-weapon-using Vanquisher is okay by me! Shock Traps do nice damage but fire pretty slowly. Using them both in tandem, however, is fantastic; I'm running around right now dropping two level 10 Flechette Traps and two level 10 Shock Traps and now I hardly ever have to use my weapon, save for champions... and that's without using the Devouring Trap, which is my next buy.

tl;dr: Traps seem to work better for support until you have them maxed out.
  • GincioGincio Posts: 72
    Depends on your play style.

They can be very nasty. I like them.