[Class]x2 Airbender + Spirit Dancer v2.0

MattNguyenMattNguyen Posts: 90
edited December 2011 in Mod Showcase
This mod adds 2 new classes to Torchlight. The Spirit Dancer blends dancing, spirits, and elements of nature, while the Airbender focuses on Telekinesis and the 'Force'. Enjoy.

Download at: via my public windows live
http://cid-be5de83955b29993.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/AirbenderSpiritdancer-v2-0.zip

Download via runicgamesfansite
http://www.runicgamesfansite.com/torchlightmods/node/306

Be sure to read the readme if you need help installing the mod.
Also be sure to have the latest patched version of torchlight( It'll still work if you don't, but might crash on first load for some people with old versions)

Videos of the Spirit Dancer in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqctcRWLt0s

Videos of the Airbender in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA4dav-aPwE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfS649Z6rJg

Mod conflicts: Conflicts with any mod that adds a class to the character select screen.
However, I have made it simpler to coexist, by putting all conflicting files into the AirbenderSpiritDancerShared folder. Simply remove that folder if you want to experiment with other class mods.

Airbender:
The Airbender manipulates ember dormant in the air, creating force fields to attack, deflect, and defend.

Skills:

Deflection
Energy Shield: Creates an energy barrier that unleashes an electrical beam when hit
Reflection Shield: A protective force field that reflects missiles
Air Ricochet: Launches an energy bolt that can bounce off of air
Air Ripple: Ruptures the air around foes knocking them back
Deflector Shield: Creates a protective barrier that knocks back enemies when struck

Absorption
Vacuum: Pulls enemies towards you draining their life
Vortex: A protective air barrier that absorbs mana
Implosion: A powerful blast that **** all enemies into you
Speed Suction: Drains the speed of your enemies and transfers it to you
Absorb Power: Drains the strength of your enemies and transfers it to you

Concussion
Triple Force: Launches 3 Force orbs at enemies
Force Wave: Projects a force barrier forward knocking all that get in the way
Graviton Shift: Manipulates the gravity around foes to slow and stun them
Shatter: Unleashes a burst of energy in four directions
Force Barrage: Unleashes rapid-fire bolts of energy toward foes

Here are some screenshots:
forcebarrage.th.jpgforcewave.th.jpgimplosion.th.jpg
reflectorshield.th.jpgshatter.th.jpgvacuumk.th.jpgvortexq.th.jpg

Version History:
v2.0
Added the Spirit Dancer Class
v1.09
Again, removed the unittheme files that are unnecessary. If you downloaded 1.08, there's no functional change, just the removed files for compatibility.
v1.08
Fixed Force Barrage, Graviton Shift, and Air ripple to require Line of sight to cast
Fixed Graviton shift, Air ripple, and Implosion correctly showing their stat modifiers
Changed functionality of graviton shift to do damage over time that doesn't stack with other graviton shifts
Lowered stat modifier of Graviton shift to 50 magic attribute
Lowered Cast speed steal from speed suction by half
Reflection Shield gains a duration of .5 seconds per skillpoint
Removed extraneous item files that might conflict with other mods, Sorry, I couldn't remove the base helm file
v1.07
Removed extraneous unittheme files that would potentially conflict with other class mods.
v1.06
Rescaled the size of the air ripple graphic to better match its damage radius
v1.05
Fixed correct voice files
Fixed correct display of equipped items
Slightly modified the visual of triple force orbs

Comments

• Very nice! :mrgreen:
  • Looks good. I hope you create more.
    If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?
    -Albert Einstein
  • how do i install this?
    just unzip Airbender map to my mods folder?

....\mods\Airbender\media (& other files)?
  • VandalDVandalD Posts: 106
    Wow. I love the skills. Nice ideas and particles. Definitely going to put time into playing this class.

Yes, asukhama, that's how you install this.
  • TomaLexiTomaLexi Posts: 303
    Hey. Added this mod to the Ultimate Modlist Thread Website. Let me know if you want the description to be changed by telling me in the Ultimate Modlist Thread or via PM (:

[NEW CLASS] Airbender v1.0 - Fully playable now
    The Airbender manipulates ember dormant in the air, creating force fields to attack, deflect, and defend.
    http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=8650
    Looking for mods? Complete mod-list: http://sites.google.com/site/ultimatemodlistwiki/
  • ombraombra Posts: 1,008
    The pictures look very nice, i am going to download it after work!
    Former Forum Nicks
    Hellgate London: Pumpkinnose
    Mythos: Sanguefreddo
  • Very nice particles. I'm going to give this a try as soon as I can.
  • Add this to the list of classes I would play if it had it's own model.
    In the wake, our existence. In our parades... and in our dances.
    With great spirits proclaiming that capitalism is indeed organized crime - and we're all the victims.

10sdxer.jpg
  • LathlasLathlas Posts: 340
    Awesome, but as soon as I saw this I thought it mught be cool to make him an "Element Bender" instead. Giving him Air, Fire & Water tabs (poor Earth, nobody likes you).

Also, I immediately began working on an Aang skin for this guy... I'm such a dork.

Edit: I hate sounding like one of those people who say s "I love this, but you should totally redo it my way!" sorry about that. :oops:
    And on the sixth day **** said, "They're not bugs, they're features. Let's ship!"

[MODS]
    Merchant Pack
    Potion Expansion
    More Gem Types
    Scroll Cast
    Prism Equipment

It might be a little while before you start playing any new classes then. Do you realize how much time and effort it takes to put a custom model for a class into the game? You can't just whip something up in 3dsmax. You have to create the base model then texture it. After that you need to add a ton of animations. Then you need to make all the custom armor models with textures and correctly bind them to the character. That is a lot of work for a little cosmetics. I know there are some people working on that right now but, as far as I know, no one has yet to completed so much as a new armor set, let alone an animated character. So cut us a little slack for using existing material.

It might be a little while before you start playing any new classes then. Do you realize how much time and effort it takes to put a custom model for a class into the game? You can't just whip something up in 3dsmax. You have to create the base model then texture it. After that you need to add a ton of animations. Then you need to make all the custom armor models with textures and correctly bind them to the character. That is a lot of work for a little cosmetics. I know there are some people working on that right now but, as far as I know, no one has yet to completed so much as a new armor set, let alone an animated character. So cut us a little slack for using existing material.

I know.
    I've been waiting for someone to use Syl or Brink's models.
    But yes... I understand it takes time. Even a little effort to reskin, like what was done with the necromancer class, would suffice.
    With great spirits proclaiming that capitalism is indeed organized crime - and we're all the victims.

10sdxer.jpg
  • Syl and Brink still need new armor packs.
  • I'd be fine playing them without visible armor changes. For the time being, anyway. :)

10sdxer.jpg
  • ConeyConey Posts: 105
    LOOOOVE this! Awesome skills! One suggestion about the **** though... Make them start out as one, and then work up to five as the skill levels up... Makes it more fun to put points in it:) And maybe make it cast a bit faster if that is possible... as of now it is rather dangerous to use:/

Also... Something wierd happened at the loginscreen:
    wutj.png
    I want more mods... And less whining... Get a grip people...
  • I'd be fine playing them without visible armor changes. For the time being, anyway. :)
    Would you be fine playing them without moving? Brink and Syl don't have the animations needed to be a player character either.
  • brennokbrennok Posts: 155
    Add this to the list of classes I would play if it had it's own model.

I know.
    I've been waiting for someone to use Syl or Brink's models.
    But yes... I understand it takes time. Even a little effort to reskin, like what was done with the necromancer class, would suffice.

Then why don't you upload some custom skins? Just because you can mod the skills doesn't mean you have the talent to skin also and I am sure if there were some better skins out there you would see people use them.

Personally for me I would much rather have new skills, modified skills, balancing, etc before someone puts time into changing the appearance of a model that is going to be covered in arnor.
  • Thank you for all your comments!

@dresdondoll: I do hope you try it out, I did try to make the particle effects unique so it should feel like you're playing a new class.

@Lathlas: No worries, I'm glad my ideas got you excited and got you thinking. While I don't plan to redesign the class to be focused on the different elements, I hope it inspires you or somebody else to try to make those skills/classes.

@TomaLexi: Thanks!

@ brennok + Redattack34 + sterlinghurd: Thanks for defending my choice of releasing without a new model.

And to everyone else, thanks for trying it out!

Currently, I have no plans to reskin, or remodel the Airbender, as I don't have the skillset necessary. If someone likes the class, and has a good idea of what it should look like and wants to remodel and animate, please give me a pm.

Also there are some bugs, that I'm still trying to nail down. But they're not gamebreaking. If anyone has encountered the same bugs, and figured out how to fix it, I'd appreciate it.
    1) My skill Vortex doesn't animate the swirls after channeling for 10-12 seconds. This only happens to me in-game. And works perfectly in the editor (making it even more difficult to debug). I've tried reworking how the particle effect is played numerous ways (put it in different triggers, part of the unittheme, etc, but none of that fixed it)
    2) The skills Graviton Shift, Implosion, and Air Ripple currently don't scale with stats. The one thing all those skills have in common, is that they are all skills that trigger another skill, and the damage affix is embedded into that 2ndary skill.
    3) A channeled spell might prematurely end an existing Graviton Shift or Air Ripple. I've never been able to reproduce this, but happens to one of my friends. If you encounter this bug, please pm me, thanks.

Thanks again for everyone who's tried it out. I'll see if i can write up some tutorials to help anyone out trying to make new skills.
  • thisbarbthisbarb Posts: 183
    I'd be fine playing them without visible armor changes. For the time being, anyway. :)
    Would you be fine playing them without moving? Brink and Syl don't have the animations needed to be a player character either.

If they are rigged the same as the players, you can just use the bip files that come with TorchED. Might run into a few minor issues but nothing major, I presume.
    thisbarb wrote:
    I'd be fine playing them without visible armor changes. For the time being, anyway. :)

If they are rigged the same as the players, you can just use the bip files that come with TorchED. Might run into a few minor issues but nothing major, I presume.

I know people had issues when they were looking to replace the pet with Brink. Also I believe they are still working out bugs just trying to keep him with you with the mod Brink the Merc or whatever it is called.

Late response and please dont take this the wrong way, but thats a pretty **** poor thing to say to someone who has taken the time, effort and creativeness into creating something new, no matter how small for a game. Some people just do not possess the skills to create totally new models, myself included. If you wont give a mod a try because they dont make their own models then id just stop looking at mods for Torchlight period. Theres only been a handful of new models made for this game and all of them are weapons.

-OnTopic-

Class looks great dude, ill give it a try tonight at some. Actually to be honest this will be the first custom class ive tried yet, so 8-)
    1213498071323.gif
  • thisbarbthisbarb Posts: 183
    StonerMk2 wrote:
    Add this to the list of classes I would play if it had it's own model.
    Theres only been a handful of new models made for this game and all of them are weapons.

Yes. The simple reason is that it takes a ****-ton of time to create new class models. Besides modeling, rigging, and texturing the base model, you need to do the exact same process for every single armor set the class will wear. -Edit- And modders aren't getting paid a salary to do it.

It grinds my gears when some people in this forum make their ignorance so evident such as some of the replies in this thread.
  • VandalDVandalD Posts: 106
    I don't know about your Airbender, but my Airbender has a female voice. Which is kind of strange when I run low on health. Then dies with a manly Alchemist yell. I'm so confused. :(

He wasn't bashing the mod or anything. If someone doesn't want to try it because of a lack of custom model, their loss. This is the only class mod I've tried that doesn't have some sort of reskin attempt, yet it feels the most unique.
    VandalD wrote:
    He wasn't bashing the mod or anything. If someone doesn't want to try it because of a lack of custom model, their loss. This is the only class mod I've tried that doesn't have some sort of reskin attempt, yet it feels the most unique.

I think the problem is he posts it in every class mod though so people are sick of seeing it. Well at least I know I am.
  • JupiahJupiah Posts: 217
    Heh, if anyone here has the skills to make it, a simple alchemist reskin with the hair shaved off and an arrow tatooed on his head would be awesome. :lol:
  • I was soon to start bugging people for a bald alchemist anyway, so there's plenty of benefit for me along with a cool new class. :)
    I'm not into whatever the Airbender anime(?) is, but I'm digging this.
  • Man, people take things way too personal nowadays. He merely said he's not going to try it for : insert reason here. He didn't call your mom fat or anything so quit trying to turn everything into a flame war. If the OP isn't offended then don't worry about it.

Anyway, veryyyyyyy nice work. Will try this is lath releases his ang skin he's working on lol, and when bugs are fixed. :D
  • Wow... people take things way too personally. I'm ignorant? My opinion is "**** poor", etc?
    I post this in every mod thread?
    Actually... I've posted it in two threads.
    Also, I've praised the guy who made the custom Necromancer class... and his work on the skinning of the model was minimal. I'm not asking for a lot, just a tiny bit of work.
    The sorceress class is starting to look very nice as well. But needs a bit more 'oomph'.

Why don't I make my own? Because I don't want to make my own. Simple.

Brennok, I'm not some kind of troll... so do not treat me as such. If you're so easily offended, you might want to stay away from anything with the slightest semblance of a debate. I'm allowed whatever criticism (positive or negative) I see fit to offer.
    RedAttack34, they have the movement animations already. I think the problem was Syl's attack animation... and armor showing up on the models correctly. Though I could be wrong.

10sdxer.jpg
  • Yes, they have movement animations (although I seem to recall that they don't work correctly for player characters, I could be wrong).

What Brink doesn't have is: Left-handed attack animations, Block animations, Fishing animations, Rifle, Pistol, Crossbow, Polearm, or Wand attack animations, or any of the various special animations used for skills (of which the Alchemist has 18, vanquisher has 11, and Destroyer has 30).

I'm not sure about Syl; I couldn't find her mesh in the TorchED files, but I would assume her list is pretty similar to Brink's.

Also, you may or may not taking into account that some (perhaps most) of the people creating new classes are code monkeys like me; I don't have the first clue how to use any of the art tools, and I don't think I have enough artistic talent to do a decent job of it even if I did. Unless you're looking for an Alchemist with stick figures scribbled on his armor or something, there's not much most of us can do but hope that some kind artist agrees to do it for us.

That said, I can see why you might not want to download a class without new art. Just, y'know, don't be expecting to download many classes.
    Brennok, I'm not some kind of troll... so do not treat me as such. If you're so easily offended, you might want to stay away from anything with the slightest semblance of a debate. I'm allowed whatever criticism (positive or negative) I see fit to offer.

I never called you a troll. I was referring to this thread started by the troll Crucestech in which you posted a comment along the same lines. I never said you posted this in every mod thread, but you have posted in 3 of the class threads of which there are only 4 or 5, and in one of those you posted twice about it. Of those postings I have only seen you ask once if the mod maker would make a custom skin and other than the Necromancer that is your only feedback. If you had asked them about whether they were making a custom skin instead of posting the way you did, I am pretty sure most people wouldn't have been bothered by it.