[WIP] Orange's Female [Alchemist] Model

DeliciousOrangeDeliciousOrange Posts: 14
edited July 2011 in Art and Sound
I've been having some fun with Torchlight and it's been inspiring me to try working on a mod of my own. I figured a good place to start would be to create alternate gender versions of the 3 core classes in the game, starting with my current favorite, the Alchemist.
Torchlight-Alch-Female.jpg

Here's a silhouette test to start things out, focusing on giving her a distinctive outline in game that emphasizes her hips and tries to create a good starting point for the character. I'm batting around some different themes for her equipment, ranging from gothic-**** and steampunk to magical girl and witch motifs, the trick being to blend these ideas into the visual style of Torchlight.

Update 26-December-09:
Torchlight-Alch-Female2.jpg

Happy Boxing Day everyone! I figured it was about time to update on the progress so far. I haven't really had much time to work on stuff with the holiday retail season, but I managed to iron out a new illustration to help clarify her design a bit.

Zelgaris and Dev, I'm treating this less like "What if the Alchemist was female" and trying to reimagine this character from the ground up as what a unique female alchemist might look like. I want this character (as well the other genderbent classes) to stand on their own both visually and as characters in their own right to help expand upon the world of Torchlight. I don't want to fall into the trap of thinking that just because two "Torchlight" characters may share the same class, that they would be necessarily look or behave the same way. However, I also understand that she needs to fit into the visual style of Torchlight as well.

My earlier comments about various themes for her equipment is merely where I'm trying to draw some inspiration from, since Torchlight allows for a robust amount of character customization I'm hoping to provide a variety of "looks" for this character to create the same level (or more) of variation in her armor and weapon sets.

Update 16-August-10:
Torchlight-Genderbend-Alchemist-Render-Mockup.jpg

Welcome back folks, it's been a while (mostly spent working on a different videogame project, but I digress). I'm getting set up to start modeling Ms. Alchemist here. If my understanding is correct, each piece of armor is loaded as separate geometry and combined into one model that uses a single rig for animation. Meaning in layman terms that each section of the model needs to provide a method for potentially overlapping geometry.

I would like to produce 2 different versions of this model, one that matches the original low-poly torchlight specs and another high poly version for players with more powerful systems. I'm a bit worried to see if the current engine can handle a higher poly model with higher resolution textures, considering I've seen some discussion about there being occasional glitches with 512p textures.

Also, how many different sets of armor need to be accounted to match the stock Alchemist?

Another big question is how compatible this is going to be with Torchlight 2? It would be extremely nice to be able to transfer this project over to Torchlight 2 when it comes out, of course I still plan to release a version for Torchlight 1 as well.

@kittynades - While I understand the desire for "enhancing" her chest, one of the key parts of this project is to maintain a unique silhouette compared the current cast of torchlight, which is why this character has a thinner, pear-shaped silhouette in contrast with the Vanquisher's hour-glass figure.

@yoyomon - I don't really see why the platform heels would pose a problem, since the textures and models for each set of boots can be different. As far as the plausibility of her "armored skirt" I think I will leave the internal construction of her clothes to the imagination.

Any thoughts, impressions, or suggestions are more than welcome, they are encouraged.
Orange's Female Alchemist "Gadgeteer" WIP
Upcoming:
Orange's Female Destroyer "Big Momma"
Orange's Male Vanquisher "The Agent"

Comments

• RaffoBaffoRaffoBaffo Posts: 160
    i like it a lot! somehow it reminds me of a female caster class in the phantasy star online series.
  • zelgariszelgaris Posts: 173
    I think you should just use the current alchemist theme and leave the different themes (gothic lolila, witch, magical girl, etc.) for totally different class.
    I personally don't see any reasonable need to change the theme/style of the alchemist character only because of the different ****.

And you should definitely use the alchemist trademark equip - the so-called Ember glove.
  • DevDev Posts: 54
    Welcome to the forums Orange! Nice concept, you definitely have talent. While you're free to go about this character how you choose, I agree with Zelgaris as well. The concept looks like it would fit better as a new class or in another game. It kind of reminds me of the Mesmer from Guild Wars. With that said, I think it's still very possible to modify the current concept to incorporate some of the chunky steampunk style of the male Alchemist from Torchlight. For example, you could replace the bows on her head with giant goggles, add an ember glove (Just seems like a must), and break up the ornate look by giving her some random accessories. Keep in mind, that's just my opinion. Regardless of which way you decide to go with this, I'm very interested in seeing where things go. Keep at it! :D
  • DojoDojo Posts: 84
    I dont know wthat these guys are talking about. It's the perfect alchemist girl. We just have to see it skinned and in 3D.
  • I like the idea behind the shape of her, but somehow the armor concept is looking regal on a level that seems somewhat awkward. That just might be me on odd train of thoughts, though.

Still, great work there.
    SteamProfile.png MSNProfile.png
  • I love the concept silhouettes you have there. I say go for it, unless you have better things in mind.
  • zelgariszelgaris Posts: 173
    Dojo wrote:
    I dont know wthat these guys are talking about. It's the perfect alchemist girl. We just have to see it skinned and in 3D.
    In that case maybe you should try to read what DeliciousOrange wrote below the silhouettes about gothic-**** stuff ^_^
  • Update is in the OP
    Upcoming:
  • Looking good; I think it could use a more rugged wear to really get across that it's not daddy's girl, but an adventurer, but it's otherwise looking very awesome.
    SteamProfile.png MSNProfile.png
  • While I'm not sure the devs would have used those heels (from the update) in the original game, I think they're brilliant. I will say that, objectively, they may not fit the style of the game, which is over the top but still marginally functional (chainmail bikinis notwithstanding).

I wonder if maybe some insanely exaggerated sandals might work? I'll try to come up with a sketch in the next few days to illustrate what I mean. Time's a little tight - I don't have much time to work on anything Torchlight-related, unfortunately - but I'll do my best to find some.

Another idea that came to me when I saw your sketch is the possibility of replacing the Ember gauntlet with a huge, overblown Ember ring or bracelet (for a little tongue-in-cheek play with the concept) if you want to change things up a bit. Could be fun.

Obviously, I wouldn't want to mess with your concept, which I think is great, by the way. Keep up the updates!
    Please check out my WIP class, the Shadowdancer - I'd love to get some feedback!
  • DevDev Posts: 54
    Woah, really digging the direction you're taking the concept. Keep it up man! /stalks thread :D
  • the alchemist really has more of a steam punk style of armor and clothing. which is what your female variation is missing at least that's what i think. the gauntlets really seem to also be a focal point of the alchemist and shouldn't be made very small. you variation has them but they are more like a cloth which by the look of the gauntlet is what give the alchemist the use of his power(hence the glowy thing on it), so it should remain the size of a gauntlet.
  • RhyzardRhyzard Posts: 27
    Wow! :shock: Looking good!
  • make her **** bigger
  • kvdkkvdk Posts: 321
    kittynades wrote:
    make her **** bigger
    stop getting on from pictures >_>

why is it that every **** little kid expects female characters in games to have triple-D ****??? >_<
    dgckdcgecmb.png
  • kitetsukitetsu Posts: 256
    kvdk wrote:
    kittynades wrote:
    make her **** bigger
    stop getting on from pictures >_>

why is it that every **** little kid expects female characters in games to have triple-D ****??? >_<

Because most gamers want their **** habits carry over to practically every avenue of entertainment. Even board games.
  • CelShadedCelShaded Posts: 20
    To deter away from the adolescent discussion, seeing if I can stir up some new information to this idea with a fresh post.
  • yoyomonyoyomon Posts: 38
    The thick soles and heel on her boots are probably gonna cause some texture issues when switching out the boots. You'd probably be safer with flat soles like the vanquisher's. You may want to rethink the dress and armor plate combo. Unless if there is a frame work underneath the dress, the armor bits would squish the dress in.

On a side note, it looks like she's ****. ;)
  • Welcome back folks, updates at the top again.
    Upcoming:
  • DushoDusho Posts: 988
    - there are totally 12 meshes (wardrobes) for each character - I think you should be OK with less meshes and doing only some re-skin (with model re-usage)
    - remember to have your submeshes (in blender - groups) assigned to materials that represent their position (chest, gloves, boots, ... ) - you actually have to have material name ending with 'chest', 'gloves' etc. for engine to identify what submesh to swap
    - 512 pixel textures are no problem as long as you remember to have same size for all of them (again, chest, boots, gloves, ...) that are being blended in.
    - not sure about reusing your model as a playable character in TL2 (as they are introducing character customization) - probably won't work, but I guess you can use it as a 'pet' or mercenary
  • I am definitely liking where this is going. She looks more like a form of Engineer with the style she has with it, it's amazing.
  • robcallisrobcallis Posts: 303
    Indeed this is looking sweet. Hey Phanjam when this is done maybe you could use this for the Enchantress? 8-)
    People motivate themselves, and are inspired by others.
  • AkuraAkura Posts: 56
    I like her but could u make her also as another class not just that?
  • PhanjamPhanjam Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭
    robcallis wrote:
    Indeed this is looking sweet. Hey Phanjam when this is done maybe you could use this for the Enchantress? 8-)
    Hey Rob! The thought would never have crossed my mind! :lol: ! And ONLY with DeliciousOrange's permission of course :)

Hi DeliciousOrange! Sorry but I am having trouble getting through to your DeliciousOrange webserver. Any chance you might post the same pics on a 3rd-party host?
    Torchmodders
    Torchlight 1 Class Pack (TL1CP) Mod for TL2: Steam | RGF
  • robcallisrobcallis Posts: 303
    Phanjam wrote:
    robcallis wrote:
    Hey Rob! The thought would never have crossed my mind! :lol: ! And ONLY with DeliciousOrange's permission of course :)

Hi DeliciousOrange! Sorry but I am having trouble getting through to your DeliciousOrange webserver. Any chance you might post the same pics on a 3rd-party host?
    Indeed, wouldn't have any other way.
    People motivate themselves, and are inspired by others.
  • Though the Enchantress mod is out there, this mod project still intrigues me, if only because I'd really like to play a female alchemist more than the Enchantress as envisioned/designed.

Also, I too am having trouble seeing the images in the OP, which is a bummer.
    Allison wrote:
    I'd really like to play a female alchemist more than the Enchantress as envisioned/designed.
    Hi Allison! Firstly thanks for trying out the Enchantress mod :) ! I'm just curious about your observation, because the Enchantress' skills tree is almost a 100% copy of the Alchemist's. So I wanted to ask you in what ways do you feel the Enchantress could play more like an Alchemist.
    Torchmodders
  • Phanjam wrote:
    Allison wrote:
    I'd really like to play a female alchemist more than the Enchantress as envisioned/designed.
    Hi Allison! Firstly thanks for trying out the Enchantress mod :) ! I'm just curious about your observation, because the Enchantress' skills tree is almost a 100% copy of the Alchemist's. So I wanted to ask you in what ways do you feel the Enchantress could play more like an Alchemist.

I'm glad you asked, and thank you for making the mod. :)

My concerns are admittedly nitpicks, but I'll list them. I'm sure you'll take them in the constructive spirit they were intended. One, is that the enchantress has different summons--skeletons instead of golems. This does match the difference in *image*, and I certainly wouldn't say it's *wrong* (I actually kind of like black-magic schticks), but it does constitute a mechanical difference from the alchemist (unless the change is only cosmetic and the skeletons still use the golem stats and I just happened to miss the note). Two--which is really more of a personal-preference thing--is that I'm not as fond of the cowled look. It gives her more the look of an old-fashioned fantasy mage than the magical scientist the game seems to have been gunning for in the alchemist; I actually think the goggles-and-ponytail look used for the valkyrie would be a better fit. In the same cosmetic vein is the lack of the gauntlet, but I'm aware that this is due to the fact that the Vanquisher mesh doesn't really have the assets for it and that it would require serious graphical tampering.

Of course, in retrospect I can imagine why you might have made the changes you did; it looks like what I'm aiming for might actually be better-covered by the older GenderMod plus perhaps slipping the ponytail mod into the enchanter's folder, and it makes sense that you wouldn't have wanted to simply duplicate it.
    Hi Allison, thanks for responding! And absolutely I am taking your inputs in the same constructive spirit with which you're giving them :D .

I understand your points quite well. I started out thinking that just having practically the same skills tree would give you essentially the same gaming experience. But I see now it's the mod's "feel" as a whole that you're refering to, and what you're after is really a female character that's faithful to the magical-scientist (cyber-punk?) theme of the Alchemist.

Well, it's a good thing Runic Games made TL so easy to mod then! I, or some other enterprising modder, may come up with just that character yet :mrgreen: !
    Torchmodders