Build Guides?

GeminiGemini Posts: 13
edited December 2009 in Vanquisher Discussions
I'm surprised to see a lack of variants on builds listed here for people to use/play and critique. Is it just too early, or are there other places to look?

Comments

  • At least for me personally, there's a reason I don't bother. There are only two "builds" that have any merit in late game. The first is the exploding shot build and it's not all that hard to figure out. Max ranged weapon expertise, crit strikes, and exploding shot. Done.

    The second is a gold finder which uses the same basic structure but also maxes barter and treasure hunter along with optimizing gear for gold finding.

    I'm hoping with the patch after xmas they will itemize higher tiers and there will be more flexibility. But for now, you either have the best build and gear or nothing at all if you want to stand a chance fighting level 75-100 mobs with level 50 gear.
  • GeminiGemini Posts: 13
    I was thinking that a trapper build would be feasible/fun, as well as whether or not to utilize pets (summon skeleton/zombie/archers, etc.).

    But, really this was more of a general question that I dropped here first. It seems that at least the Alchemist and Vanquisher have alternative builds;

    ES/CS/RWExp: the basis for the Ranger build, but what do people use in addition and to supplement this build?
    - For example; I respec'd using Charm Spell Mastery & Pet Mastery, put a Summon Skeleton on myself and my pet. Drop a Devouring Trap in front, let the mobs gather around my skellies/trap, and then use my boom-stick (ES). For mobs that burst through, or when over run by mobs from multiple directions, drop a WoJ and back up. For bosses and/or fire-resistant mobs, I've used SS, however I did run into a situation (no spoiler here) where neither ES nor SS were effective and I was forced to use my normal attack until they were brought down.

    I suppose though, since there are more than enough skill points to go around, and a respec mod, that people could tweak builds to their heart's content with just 1 character of each archtype (although ideal equipment might be a consideration)...
  • *nods* For me, i have a build template I use. But that template is entirely geared towards the twinkee gear in my stash. As you said, at later levels, you've got plenty of points to go around. I think my level 60 is running with barter, treasure hunter, and some adventurer which pretty much tells you how many spare points I felt I had. That's with flechette at 10, lightning at 10, and devouring at 1 also. Her pet mastery is also at 10.

    Traps, in my experience, do an OK job through the part of the game they finished (the mainline story). They fail miserably at later levels although I use them religiously when going through red portals (yes, they go with you) and taking down high armor champions. What would be nice is if they gave us more levels in each skill. That would force some serious compromises. It'd also be nice if the skills scaled differently. Right now, exploding shot is the only real choice because it's the only thing that can really pump out the kinds of damage you need 60+ (arguably ricochet can also, but ES is just plain easier to use). Personally I think weaponless skills need to scale much more quickly than they do so that they keep up with weapon based skills.
  • VantesVantes Posts: 21
    This is the build I use on my lvl 100 very hard **** vanq who is on floor 97

    spells: Web, Haste, Dervish, Elemental Protection

    I keep haste and elemental protection up, I never click to move, always use hamstring. Wind of justice is what helps you go up and down stairs, which are deathtraps. I have two sets of weapons, 90% of the time I use shield and pistol, the other 10% vs bosses I use dual wield pistols. Always keep 100% missile reflect, stack HP, crit, critical damage % and lightning resistance. (insta lightning beam attack bots of doom) I put about 35 points into str and magic, then the rest a 1:1 ratio defense and dex, defense raises both resistances and armor so its worth it, some people say no because of the way crit strikes work, but its definitely saved me. % damage reduction items are good if you can get good enchants without wiping them. Robya's gloves might be best item in game for hc.
  • GeminiGemini Posts: 13
    Vantes wrote:
    spells: Web, Haste, Dervish, Elemental Protection

    I keep haste and elemental protection up, I never click to move, always use hamstring. Wind of justice is what helps you go up and down stairs, which are deathtraps. I have two sets of weapons, 90% of the time I use shield and pistol, the other 10% vs bosses I use dual wield pistols. Always keep 100% missile reflect, stack HP, crit, critical damage % and lightning resistance. (insta lightning beam attack bots of doom) I put about 35 points into str and magic, then the rest a 1:1 ratio defense and dex, defense raises both resistances and armor so its worth it, some people say no because of the way crit strikes work, but its definitely saved me. % damage reduction items are good if you can get good enchants without wiping them. Robya's gloves might be best item in game for hc.

    This is what I mean, there is more than one way to skin a cat. For example, 3 people might use the same base skills (ES, CS, RWExp) and then build out the supplementals differently. I tend to go with pets until they are no longer feasible (one-shotted every encounter), someone else might use traps, the third might use spells.

    So, that's why I was expecting to see some build guides for those skills/spells beyond the baseline.
  • Gemini wrote:
    This is what I mean, there is more than one way to skin a cat. For example, 3 people might use the same base skills (ES, CS, RWExp) and then build out the supplementals differently. I tend to go with pets until they are no longer feasible (one-shotted every encounter), someone else might use traps, the third might use spells.

    So, that's why I was expecting to see some build guides for those skills/spells beyond the baseline.
    Ahhh, I thought we were talking skills, not equipment. I posted a rather lengthy post in the **** forum about my experiences surviving in the shadow vault. She's currently level 64, fighting level 65 mobs and doing OK. She is still able to rely on exploding shot to do the dirty work although she pops out a set of traps (flechette, devouring, and lightning) when going places she can't see (up stairs for instance) and to help the bosses along. She never moves down to a new level without a full array of blood skels, zombies, and elemental protection. Her pet is set on passive with Heal all V and VI being cast. Coupled with the blood skels, that gives me a fairly steady stream of incoming health so that I'm normaly topped off.... very handy when a single crit can lop off about 5k of my 6k health.

    My general goal is to never get close enough to a monster for it to hurt me. I hurl exploding shots down the hall in front of me and frequently find nothing but loot when I arrive, although as level up, that's changing. Monsters are starting to take more than 2 shots to kill. I haven't played with wind of justice, but clearly I need to. I can see how mashing that button when taking a red portal or a stairwell might save me. By the way, traps do, in fact, go with you when you take a red portal. So I deploy a full set of traps before going through one.

    Her gear is, right now, a full justice set (sans amulet). But I'm coming to understand that I need to re-gear her with a focus on +Crit Damage. As Vantes said, 100% missile reflect is critical. Like Vantes, I rely on a pistol/shield and her blocking is at 41% currently. I'd like to get that to 50%. My elemental resists are pretty good, but I have serious doubts whether it's ever possible to get them good enough for ****. Also, as Vantes said, lightning is the big concern due to those cursed little bots.
Sign In or Register to comment.