Will the toolset discourage official expansion?

XanderXander Posts: 410
edited June 2009 in General Modding
First of all, I'm growing quite excited about the overall openness of the toolset for Torchlight, but it has led me to a primary concern: Support. I understand that Runic probably has their plans ready to fix any bugs and issues that pop up after release, but what about additional content? I'm curious if Runic plans to either finish the game and throw the rest to the community to dabble with (since the dev team is working on making such rich tools) or if they will continue to support the single-player portion by offering addition content over time in the form of new models, skills, and characters - perhaps a full-on expansion? Furthermore, is there planned additional support or updates for the toolset, such as the inclusion of new features?

I understand it's a bit early to be asking some of these questions, especially considering that the dev team would most likely be shifting focus towards the MMO after the single player's development.

- Xander
hereo.png

Comments

• In addition to that, John expressed in IRC one day,
    [16:32] <@Volo>; For the single player version, we're actually our own publisher. For the MMO I'm not sure, but I imagine it's complicated, because that stuff always is.
    [16:33] <MrCuddlyTigr> That makes sense, so... if you wanted to support the single player game down the road that would totally be up to Runic Games... like expansion packs or dlc whatever...
    10[16:34] <%TiberiusAudley> You own your IP until you sell your souls to a bank with the IP as collateral? ;-P
    [16:35] <@Volo>; Yeah, we plan to release updates. The size and quantity of those will depend on how well the game does. Perfect World will be paying us to make the MMO, so we'll probably have to pay to expand single player using it's own sales
    [16:36] <@Volo>; If it's popular, it would be nice to hire some people just to look after and update single player.

(Note: Those are just his opinions as far as I know and may not reflect the plans/views of Runic as a whole.)
  • jamesLjamesL Posts: 3,568
    thanks for posting that
    that's a lot of new info for me
    I didn't know PerfectWorld was actually paying them for the mmo
    and I didn't know they were actually publishing he SP version themselves
    I don't have a sig
  • XanderXander Posts: 410
    Alright, thank you! Sorry if the post was redundant because of similar questions. I was searching for others in the wrong place, really.
    hereo.png
  • WebbstreWebbstre Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭
    Xander wrote:
    Alright, thank you! Sorry if the post was redundant because of similar questions. I was searching for others in the wrong place, really.
    Redundant posts are what we are here to answer! :-P
    Administrator/Former Owner of Runic Games Fansite. Be sure to visit RGF for all your Torchlight series needs![/color] Don't forget to check out ModDrop as a one stop solution for installing and sharing mods easily!
  • XanderXander Posts: 410
    Webbstre wrote:
    Xander wrote:
    Redundant posts are what we are here to answer! :-P

Time to post more! :D
    hereo.png