Editor Slip Date

MarshMarsh Posts: 685
edited October 2009 in General Modding
Ok everybody - bad news. We have to hold off on releasing the editor on the same day as the game( 27th ). Our hope is to release it the following Friday or Monday( Oct. 30th or the 2nd ). I won't lie to you that it could use a couple more days to touch up a few things but also - WE CAN'T USE THE NAME PREDITOR!!!!!( AKA The Professional Editor ) So I just wanted to let everybody know that we're really sorry it slipped and we'll be letting everybody know the new name soon.

Comments

• ShardzShardz Posts: 1,384
    edited October 2009
    Well, thanks so much for letting us know ahead of time and that is much appreciated! Take all the time you need to implement everything (like the last monster killed and master key drop, etc) and I'm sure everyone would rather have it completed than to rush it out. It's too bad about that name cause that was mighty catchy (wasn't that the name of the Unreal editor or something?)! Most will be too busy playing the game to miss the editor the first week anyway, but this is all fine with me! I'm assuming we will be able to catch the editor on our respective download sites when it's ready.
  • SoberseanSobersean Posts: 513
    Ah that's too bad about the name, such a clever name I thought.

No problem here about the date, I'll be deep into playing the game for a good long while before I crack open the editor.
    Arguing over a video game? That's just silly.
  • GbrownGbrown Posts: 423 ✭✭✭✭
    Lame. that silly name that I wrote in as a joke so they window title wouldn't be "Form1" just under a year ago is copyrighted by some lousy schmub.

Guess we'll have to think of something else quickly.

..maybe Schmub.
  • PawsPaws Posts: 1,933
    That's unfortunate, but thanks for the head's up.
    PAWS.png
    Reviews and Journalism, RPGamer.com
    Zidders wrote:
    Fyi. Paws isn't a madam. She's a total PIMP.
    /swag
  • AxlerAxler Posts: 163
    Gbrown wrote:
    Lame. that silly name that I wrote in as a joke so they window title wouldn't be "Form1" just under a year ago is copyrighted by some lousy schmub.

..maybe Schmub.

How about "DungeonCAD"
  • PufflesPuffles Posts: 169
    To be honest, I think everyone should sit down for a long gameplay session before creating mods. A complete understanding of the gameplay, the art style, and everything else, will make creating and polishing great mods so much easier.

The release date delay of the editor will just give everyone a chance to play the game thoroughly before jumping in. Nothing bad about that.
    Gbrown wrote:

..maybe Schmub.

Hrmmm. Perhaps TorchLight Conflagration or Configuration...or TLC for short. It has a nice ring to it. :D That is really annoying when people register names and sit on them like they do with domain names. Then 150 years go by and they still haven't done anything to justify it. I'm sure you guys will whip up something in no time, though. ;)
  • MalakiliMalakili Posts: 183
    Its probably not the worst thing really, now I'll actually get to play the game as is for a few days before I dive into the editor full bore.

How about TREditor (Torchlight Runic Editor)?
    Malakili wrote:
    Its probably not the worst thing really, now I'll actually get to play the game as is for a few days before I dive into the editor full bore.

How about TREditor (Torchlight Runic Editor)?

Haha! Cool! Or maybe Runicator! :lol:
  • AxlerAxler Posts: 163
    .... EmberManipulator?
  • VerminVermin Posts: 102
    How about LuminaTed?
    "It's not a skirt"
    Aha!! Now it just came to me with my feeble old memory on the blink and all. PrEditor was the name of the Prey Editor by 3D Realms! I knew that sounded familiar, but my mind never registered it. Perhaps they never registered the name officially, but that's what everyone called it at the time.
  • I like Schmub. I mean who has Schmub copyrighted.
  • NosajiNosaji Posts: 262
    Gbrown wrote:

..maybe Schmub.

"Form1"?? Did you use Visual Studio for that or is "Form1" pretty generic for most IDEs?
    Dungeonville: My game experiment

banner.png
  • Pff, call it Torchlighter.
  • Darker123Darker123 Posts: 304
    Reditor, Runic Editor, RG-Editor, Awesome Editor, Better Editor, Runic's Soilent Greditor.... Torcheditor, McEditor.
    Signature: In Favor of Constant Improvements.
  • "I can't believe its not Preditor"
  • No worries, I don't start editing games until after I played a few times thru, and the 3rd is Dragon Age Release so I'll be busy.
  • darkcougdarkcoug Posts: 152
    Unacceptable!

Just kidding. Please guys, take all the time you need on the editor. We'll have plenty to do until then. Virtually everyone who is going to be using the editor would prefer features and polish over a speedier release date.

And +1 for the TREditor.
  • Bebop wrote:
    Ok everybody - bad news. We have to hold off on releasing the editor on the same day as the game( 27th ). Our hope is to release it the following Friday or Monday( Oct. 30th or the 2nd ). I won't lie to you that it could use a couple more days to touch up a few things but also - WE CAN'T USE THE NAME PREDITOR!!!!!( AKA The Professional Editor ) So I just wanted to let everybody know that we're really sorry it slipped and we'll be letting everybody know the new name soon.

Sad Panda :cry: Ah the joys of game releases and software naming. One of the selling
    points for me was the editor shipping with the game. (I'm an avid modder) Oh well.

/Tinfoil hat
    The Lizard men overseers won't let the guys at Runic Games release such an awesome
    editor without first consulting with the "Council of Bones" and performing the ritual of
    game editor naming while standing near the tomb of Gary Gygax.
    /end Tinfoil hat
  • WolfoxWolfox Posts: 66
    Some name suggestions:

- Runemaster
    - Dungeonator
    - Embernator
    - Embercarver
    - Emberminer
    - Vanquisher
    - Destroyer
    - Alchimist
    - Alchemy Lab
    - Mixing Lab
    - Candlelight (or simply Candle?)
    - Twilight Creator

Ok, I admit it. I **** at naming things. I guess that's why all my RPG characters are named Wolfox, or Schmub at best.
  • Ya know, this cracks me up on account of certain another "engine", along a similar line as Torchlight's, that I know of having their name first yet a certain upcoming game had no issue in using the same word/title for it even though the acronym winds up meaning something different as they are a much bigger outfit...

Feh.

At any rate, I'm sure a nifty name will be arrived upon...though I had gotten pretty used to using PrEditor so it'll take a bit for a new one to catch on and stick.
    I was checking other messages in the forum and read what could be a fantastic name (IMO) for the editor: Epiphany. Not sure if it's taken, though.
  • NosajiNosaji Posts: 262
    Can't you register the offical name as "Torchlight PrEditor" and just call it PrEditor for short when talking about it casually?

Or.. "Pre-Editor" keep the pronunciation the same.
    Dungeonville: My game experiment

banner.png
  • Wolfox wrote:
    I was checking other messages in the forum and read what could be a fantastic name (IMO) for the editor: Epiphany. Not sure if it's taken, though.

HA! To be honest, I'm not certain the name of the editor is the entire "issue". After all, these talented
    guys could whip up a name quick to meet the deadline. I think someone either broke something or they
    came up with an awesome idea today and want to get it into the pipe before release. Naming the
    editor and recompiling the project probably wouldn't take 3-5 days. At least, I hope it's something good
    and not something sinister like marketing or some other "business-like" strategic move. Sigh, after
    dealing with SOE and the beast that is Blizzard, I'm so paranoid when it comes to gaming companies.
  • CaddyCaddy Posts: 61
    TorchLeditor?
    supadutchftcaddy.jpg
    Mythos signature by SupaDutch!
    Mythos Name: Cullinane
  • TRED (Tread)- Torchlight Runic Editor

- see, easy as pie, carry on.
  • I like Schmub. I mean who has Schmub copyrighted.
    I do now, hah! Jk, I like Treditor or TRED, those sound good.
  • Roughshod wrote:
    I like Schmub. I mean who has Schmub copyrighted.
    I do now, hah! Jk, I like Treditor or TRED, those sound good.

Quick! Someone wake up the devs! There's an editor to finish! Sometimes I wish I would have
    chosen to write games instead of Medical Software.
    Carniveron wrote:
    HA! To be honest, I'm not certain the name of the editor is the entire "issue". After all, these talented
    guys could whip up a name quick to meet the deadline. I think someone either broke something or they
    came up with an awesome idea today and want to get it into the pipe before release. Naming the
    editor and recompiling the project probably wouldn't take 3-5 days. At least, I hope it's something good
    and not something sinister like marketing or some other "business-like" strategic move. Sigh, after
    dealing with SOE and the beast that is Blizzard, I'm so paranoid when it comes to gaming companies.

I don't think the name itself is a big issue - I think the devs saw it as a "sign" to polish it a bit more before releasing it, and the name change was the perfect excuse to do that. I may be wrong. Actually, I'm probably wrong.

But I don't think it's some marketing move or something. I'm fairly certain it's not - probably just some devs wanting a little time and space to breathe. ;)