Zidders 1-handed rifle mod

ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,360 ✭✭✭
edited September 2011 in Mod Showcase
Hi all! First mod here. This just changes all of the rifles in game from rifle unit type to pistol unit type. I think there might be a reduction in range...i'm not sure. If anyone wants to take a look at this and let me know how to improve it, please feel free to let me know your ideas ^.^

http://www.mediafire.com/?iyjomenn5nk

The only thing wrong with it that I can see is that the animations are a little screwed up...when firing, the pistol shot effects play but your character will remain holding the rifles in the non-firing carry position.

Ok..sorry for lack of install instructions :/ just unzip into your steam/steamapps/common/torchlight/%appdata%/runicgames/torchlight/mods folder.
ItfooQF.png

Comments

• Sweet, i've been looking for something like this. Thanks!
    "A girl phoned me the other day and said "Come on over, there's... nobody home." I went over. Nobody was home."
  • PhanjamPhanjam Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭
    Zidders wrote:
    The only thing wrong with it that I can see is that the animations are a little screwed up...when firing, the pistol shot effects play but your character will remain holding the rifles in the non-firing carry position.

This mod should get an "excellent" rating if it could include the proper anims! I hope someone works on that!
    Torchmodders
    Torchlight 1 Class Pack (TL1CP) Mod for TL2: Steam | RGF
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,360 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, unfortunately, I think entirely new animations would have to be made, or else someone with the know-how would have to re-rig the rifles to match the pistol firing animation...and make it so that the explosion at the end of the barrel and the tracer-like shot would match up too. Unfortunately, I'm not that skilled.

This was a REALLY easy mod. All you have to do is go into TorchED's Unit Editor, select what kind of units you want to modify, and then just change the unit type. In this case, from something like 'rifle-magical' to 'pistol-magical'. Just do this for every item from each tier you want to change, and yer all set..now you can dual-wield rifles like a pro.

I'd imagine the same can be done for bows, crossbows, etc. I'm still a beginner at modding and nowhere in the league of some of the people that have been modding here. Still...i'm glad at least a few people are enjoying it ^.^
    ItfooQF.png
    Hi Zidders. I hope you don't mind I put in a request for anims to match-up with your excellent original idea.
    It's at this post: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9900&start=0

I can take it down if you object, or if you'd rather be the one to do it :?
    Torchmodders
  • VelariVelari Posts: 376
    This was a REALLY easy mod. All you have to do is go into TorchED's Unit Editor, select what kind of units you want to modify, and then just change the unit type. In this case, from something like 'rifle-magical' to 'pistol-magical'. Just do this for every item from each tier you want to change, and yer all set..now you can dual-wield rifles like a pro.

There is another approach that seems to make it work fine with rifle/shield (it will use the normal rifle attack animation), although dualwielding rifles is another story. You can make it so you'll be able to equip two rifles at a time, but you won't be able to attack, sadly.

Go to your TorchED/media directory, and open unittypes.hie. You can just drag it into Notepad, that's good enough to edit it :P
    Find the entries for rifles. Base rifle entry is ID#116. The others are right below (magic, unique, etcetera). Now, each of these will have <INTEGER>child?:10 somewhere (the question mark is either a number, or nothing at all, you'll see). 10 Is what marks something as two-handed. If you look around near the beginning of the file, ID#10 is two-handed. 9 Is one-handed. If the number 10 is replaced in all the rifle entries by 9, they'll be one-handed rather than two-handed.
    Of interest is <INTEGER>child?:37. This is right handed, which means in which hand the item will be equipped, usually used for two-handed weapons (it's also used for shields, to make them always be equipped on the left). However, you're making it one-handed, making this entry irrelevant, in theory. However, there's only a rifle attack animation for something in the right hand, so you might as well make it only right handed

You'll want to make a copy of the file, change these values in the copy, and place the copy in the appropriate place in a mod folder. Make sure the copy is still called unittypes.hie.

The problem is that it will still use the original rifle animations, it won't suddenly start using the pistol attack animation for them just because they only require a single hand now. Again, this seems to work fine with a rifle in the right hand and a shield in the other.
    If you had removed the right handed property from rifles in unittypes.hie, you'd be able to equip two rifles since it's no longer forced to solely your right hand, but when you try to dualwield rifles you won't be able to attack, presumably because the game is flipping out over how that would work out with just the one right handed rifle attack animation :)

So, yeah. If you want rifle/shield, this seems to work fine, but sadly it doesn't solve your animation problem with dualwielding rifles.
  • ElAmberElAmber Posts: 158
    What I was really hoping for in Torchlight was that after your character got say 100 str and 100 dex you could then dual wield rifles, at least then the proper animations would have been done, however sadly this is not the case. I might give your mod a go but I have about 22 mods installed now, so I would have to see if there were any conflicts with the ones I have already. Thanks for this though, it looks pretty sweet! :)
    ElAmber wrote:
    What I was really hoping for in Torchlight was that after your character got say 100 str and 100 dex you could then dual wield rifles
    That's a good point there, ElAmber.

Zidder, your mod doesn't affect the requirements for the new 1-handed rifles, does it? You'd still need to have the strength, dexterity or magic levels demanded by the original 2-handed weapon?

Thanks.
    Torchmodders
    You're probably correct :/ Like i've said...i'm not a very experienced (or good) modder...this was just something I was asked about and decided to see what folks thought. I didn't change anything besides the item unit type....so the regular 2-handed rifle requirments are (probably) still there.

There's probably a lot more i'd like to do with this mod, but frankly, I've found out in the past that i'm just no good at modding...well...anything, really...so I tend to cross my fingers and hope that others come up with ideas similar to mine and implement them.
    ItfooQF.png
    Take comfort in knowing that I am probably much less skilled than yourself in modding as well :lol: !!!

But it is a good start for a potentially great mod! I do hope more members contribute so that your mod realizes most if not all of it's potential!
    Torchmodders
    I/m bringin' this back from the dead because I want to get back into modding. This was the first mod I ever made, and i'd appreciate folks having a look at it to tell me what I might have done right and what I might have done wrong, especially Phanjam, who has become one of the communities best modders. I would really appreciate the input and especially the feedback from those who might have used it (and remember it).
    ItfooQF.png
    LOL! Hey Zidds - thanks, but I'm just really good at using other people's stuff is all :lol:

I think velari's suggestion to make 1-handed rifles their own 1-handed item type (in the unittypes.hie file) is the best way to go (this is how lightsabers are handled in the Jedi mod). So as she pointed out, these new weapons would automatically use the pistol animation :) .

Then I know someone (just can't remember who) already figured out how to move the muzzle flash further/nearer away from the character. I'll see if I can find that post for you...

I think with those 2 adjustments your mod will be good to go :D !
    Torchmodders
    Was it Dusho? viewtopic.php?f=28&t=9083&p=87198&hilit=pistol+effect#p87198 Becuase changing the 2handed rifle animation to the one handed MIGHT work..yknow, wish I knew how to 3d model, i'd take the 2-handers and make em sawed offs lol.
    ItfooQF.png
    y'know, SoulCommando has a weapons packthat includes a shotgun :mrgreen: ...

(EDIT)
    No I don't think that was the post, but I think I found something useful. The muzzleflash particle is called during the rpistol and lpistol animations. Specifically they call "pistolmuzzleflash.layout" which is in the media/particles/weapons/ directory.

It's possible to (1) modify this layout to have the particle further away from the character (will have to do trial-and-error to get the distance right), then (2) have this new particle layout called by (3) alternate rpistol and lpistol animations for use with the 1handed-rifle weapon.
    Torchmodders