Torchlight Patch Information

Comments

• Like others here I'm a bit peeved about the lack of patch support from Encore, I prefer owning a physical copy whenever possible, I hate activations and drm's...so I got me a disc, big mistake in this case I guess...so I took matters into my own hands and just went to a (ahem) shady website and downloaded the 1.15 version, its cracked but it works fine and who needs a ferret anyways, I don't feel too guilty about it since I've already purchased the game and gotten hosed by Encore, Runic/Encore need to take a heads up here cause the game is available all over the net for free, potential new buyers/players might be more likely to download a full version for free before being honest and a paying for un supported game from Encore.
  • shad46 wrote:
    ...I don't feel too guilty about it since I've already purchased the game and gotten hosed by Encore, Runic/Encore need to take a heads up here cause the game is available all over the net for free, potential new buyers/players might be more likely to download a full version for free before being honest and a paying for un supported game from Encore.

That's actually quite a good point...unfortunately!
  • hi i downloaded the demo version today and paid for it today too... do i still need to download the patch?
  • GrooGroo Posts: 62
    Depends on where you downloaded it from. Check the version on the opening screen and if it says version 1.15, then you are good to go.
    Video Games and the breath of life.
  • Groo wrote:
    When you click on the link that says "I purchased the physical boxed version of Torchlight" it says to go to the encore site to get the patch, but the only patch listed is the 1.12(11/9/09) patch for the digital copy. It states "Patches on this page are ONLY for people who digitally downloaded Torchlight from this site. People who purchased a box copy or who downloaded the game from another site should not download this patch." So where can those of us who bought the game from Gamestop get the 1.15 patch?

It will be available on the Encore page you went to. They are still working on releasing the patch onto their site and should have it updated soon.

Still waiting.......something like a month later?
  • FolkenFolken Posts: 149
    JediJasonA wrote:
    Volbard, and the rest of the Runic staff, have been pretty quiet lately regarding this issue, so maybe they're doing what needs to be done...in whatever form that may take. :?

I would love to think that is that case, but, frankly, I have zero reason to believe that.

I still love playing this game, but what happens when mods start coming out that are incompatible with older builds of the game? Are the people who bought physical copies just out of luck? Isn't the mod community/customization potential supposed to be one of the selling points of this game?

I understand that Runic is a small company and doesn't have an employee dedicated to dealing with customer service issues, but the small company excuse works both ways and they have failed to deliver a fully-functioning product. If they can do nothing to get the newest patches out to those people who purchased the boxed version, there needs to be some kind of replacement deal arranged where we can send in the physical disc or some form of proof of purchase in order to get a free download of the game from the Runic website.
  • Folken wrote:
    If they can do nothing to get the newest patches out to those people who purchased the boxed version, there needs to be some kind of replacement deal arranged where we can send in the physical disc or some form of proof of purchase in order to get a free download of the game from the Runic website.

Yeah, actually, I was wondering that myself - although I'd prefer just to send in some proof of purchase as opposed to sending the whole disc. Or maybe even some kind of electronic verification of purchase since (speaking ONLY for myself) "we" registered our physical copies with Encore (or should I say "None-core"?).
  • Or, even better, just release the patch themselves instead of waiting on Encore to do it. It is becoming painfully obvious that Encore doesn't care about the situation, and since Runic has a patch that they handed off to Encore, it should be easy to just make it available for download, small company or not. If it is the hosting, I am sure that can be arranged; if not, I don't see what the problem would be.
  • On a whim, I decided to register for Encore's forums thinking that maybe there was something there about the 1.15 patch. Would you believe Torchlight isn't even listed as one of their games? I know, technically it belongs to Runic Games (and thank goodness for that!), but not seeing it on Encore's forums was like a slap in the face...and I'm just a player! This is really beyond ridiculous. I know the Runic staff is looking into this, but still. I really don't think I should need to re-purchase TL just so I can be 'updated'. :x
  • ENCORE DIGITAL DOWNLOAD - Build handed off to vendor

It is now available: http://torchlight.encoreusa.com/updates/

The patch for the retail box version from is still not available though...
  • Every other game I have ever bought has one patch version, unless it is available for Macs, in which case it has a patch for each platform. I have never heard of so many different patch versions before for a game. Welcome to the brave new world of digital downloads, I guess. :cry:
  • That's fantastic that Encore consumers get their patch after an excessively long wait. When do the people that bought the game in a box get their patch? It's kind of ironic, really. We had to wait to buy our game in the first place and ended up getting a pet choice that everybody can now get as a mod and now we're dead last in patch priority. I hope this doesn't become a trend in the future.
  • JediJasonAJediJasonA Posts: 103
    edited February 2010
    thejackal wrote:
    That's fantastic that Encore consumers get their patch after an excessively long wait. When do the people that bought the game in a box get their patch? It's kind of ironic, really. We had to wait to buy our game in the first place and ended up getting a pet choice that everybody can now get as a mod and now we're dead last in patch priority. I hope this doesn't become a trend in the future.

Amen to that! In total agreement...regardless of how fun Torchlight is to play. :?

Edit: I'm not sure if an entirely new thread is needed, but for those of us who bought Torchlight in a RETAIL STORE, the 1.15 patch IS now available. Here is the link (AGAIN, ONLY FOR THOSE WHO PHYSICALLY PURCHASED TORCHLIGHT IN A STORE) - http://torchlight.encoreusa.com/updates_retail/index.html

Consider me NOW officially satisfied...'til the next problem. :lol:
  • JediJasonA wrote:
    thejackal wrote:
    That's fantastic that Encore consumers get their patch after an excessively long wait. When do the people that bought the game in a box get their patch? It's kind of ironic, really. We had to wait to buy our game in the first place and ended up getting a pet choice that everybody can now get as a mod and now we're dead last in patch priority. I hope this doesn't become a trend in the future.

Amen to that! In total agreement...regardless of how fun Torchlight is to play. :?

That's part of the problem. If this was a crappy game, it would be aggravating, but you would move on. Since it is so much fun and I want to see the studio do well with this, it hurts to see a group of users get mishandled so badly in the end.
  • JediJasonA wrote:

Edit: I'm not sure if an entirely new thread is needed, but for those of us who bought Torchlight in a RETAIL STORE, the 1.15 patch IS now available. Here is the link (AGAIN, ONLY FOR THOSE WHO PHYSICALLY PURCHASED TORCHLIGHT IN A STORE) - http://torchlight.encoreusa.com/updates_retail/index.html

Hooray, thanks for the head's up. :D
  • JediJasonA wrote:
    thejackal wrote:

*raises his hand* I have the next problem. I downloaded the file and it tells me Torchlight isn't installed on my computer. I moved it to the folder it is installed in and still tells me the same thing. Now I'm just confused.
  • Hmm. I had no problem with installing it. I even took the chance of installing it while I still had the "original" version on my system.
  • I had no problem with installing it either, and I ran it from my C:\My Documents\Patches folder where I keep such things.
  • I downloaded it again and it still says I don't have it installed. Did either of you guys install Torchlight to a different folder besides the default option perhaps?
  • I installed Torchlight in the default folder.

I don't think the installer would actually look around your hard disc though, it would probably check the Registry to see where Torchlight lives. Did you move Torchlight since you installed it?
  • creekchub wrote:
    I installed Torchlight in the default folder.

I don't think the installer would actually look around your hard disc though, it would probably check the Registry to see where Torchlight lives. Did you move Torchlight since you installed it?

Nope. I installed it into my games folder (C:\Games) and didn't move it after installing.
  • Do you also have the demo installed somewhere else perhaps?
  • creekchub wrote:
    Do you also have the demo installed somewhere else perhaps?

Not anymore I don't. I uninstalled that once the disc arrived for me. I did have a thought, though. I read somewhere before about the weird encore_reg.exe file and how some people didn't know what it was. I deleted that file and the reference for it is still in my registry. I wonder if that file might be causing the hangup? The only way I can test it is to reinstall by the looks of it unless someone knows where I can get that file. It's not on the DVD that I can just copy it off.

Oh, and it was earlier in this thread on page 4 where someone mentioned getting rid of that process.
  • I'm not sure if that file would have changed it or not, but I reinstalled and the patch works great. :)
    JediJasonA wrote:

Awesome! Thanks for the link.

While this took entirely too long (and I am just downloading now, so I'm not claiming victory just yet), it is nice to be finally up t date with everyone else. Hopefully we can avoid this wait in the future.
    Victory it is, then.

Download was easy enough. Not sure why other are having problems with the file. I just double-clicked as soon as Windows was done with its virus scan and everything took care of itself.

Again, thanks for the info JediJason.
  • Folken wrote:
    Again, thanks for the info JediJason.

You're quite welcome! It took a little bit of 'creativity' to get to it (at least the way that I went) and when I saw it, I had to do a double-take, LOL. The 'nasty' emails and the prodding by Volbard (and the rest of the Runic staff) must've worked. :P
  • GrooGroo Posts: 62
    Thx for letting us know it's out :). However did anyone notice the release date on the page ... 2/1/2010. They have got to be joking if they think that anyone of us are going to believe that it's been sitting there for the past 25 days.
    Video Games and the breath of life.
  • LOL, yeah...I noticed that too but decided it wasn't worth my time to point that out to Encore.
  • JediJasonA wrote:
    thejackal wrote:

Krazrok wrote:
    ENCORE DIGITAL DOWNLOAD - Build handed off to vendor

It is now available: http://torchlight.encoreusa.com/updates/

The patch for the retail box version from is still not available though...

Heh, you guys beat me to it, OP updated!
    Runic Games Webmaster
    Forum Rules | Support Forums | E-mail Support
This discussion has been closed.