Are there "must have" mods that "fix" this game?

ubitendoubitendo Posts: 5
edited September 2010 in General Modding
I guess a good example would be a game like Oblivion where mods fix the broken leveling system and make the game run a lot smoother.

Are there mods I should get for this game that "fix" things?

This is my first time really playing the game and my character is a level 10 Destroyer.

Comments

• enemantikenemantik Posts: 492
    It depends on which things you want to "fix", I guess. There are many mods around that change the gameplay, but, to my knowledge, there aren't any serious issues with Torchlight (or at least I haven't encountered them); ones that haven't already been fixed with the original patches.
  • Well, I know a lot of people rave about the Merchant Pack. I was wondering if that's one of the mods you "need" for Torchlight.
  • I would recommend the Merchant Pack alone. Them, after playing through, think about things that bothered or, or things you might like to see changed. Compile a list of that after or during your vanilla playthrough, and come to the forums.
  • WebbstreWebbstre Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭
    The first play through is best with no mods. After that it's great to play through with it customized to your playing style.
    Administrator/Former Owner of Runic Games Fansite. Be sure to visit RGF for all your Torchlight series needs![/color] Don't forget to check out ModDrop as a one stop solution for installing and sharing mods easily!
  • AkuraAkura Posts: 56
    Webbstre wrote:
    The first play through is best with no mods. After that it's great to play through with it customized to your playing style.
    thats what i did myself. i beat it first now im trying to beat it with a enchantresss
  • vega82vega82 Posts: 30
    I'll recommend the LowBrightness mod (lowers the annoying bright of some skills as Frost Shield); the PunchingBag mod (perfect for testing new weapons/skills); the Respec mod of course (it's a MUST imho); and I've made for my personal use a potion stacked mod which stacks 50 pots/scrolls and helps in keeping your inventory clean, there are lots of stacking mods but I believe that 50 is a balanced quantity. These are the mods I use.

Aside from those kind of mods, you have lots of cosmetic mods and mods for... pretty much anything, but dramatically changing the vanilla mechanics almost feels like cheating to me (and potentially they can turn your gameplay into a boredom), so I can't recommend any of those.

enemantik wrote:
    to my knowledge, there aren't any serious issues with Torchlight
    True.
  • vega82 wrote:
    enemantik wrote:
    to my knowledge, there aren't any serious issues with Torchlight
    True.

I have been around here for two months, and to me it seems that most people who have experienced more or less serious issues with Torchlight have either a Steam or Mac version of the game. People like myself, who bought a boxed retail PC version don't appear to have any problems with it.
  • Here's a thread that I started in the Torchlight 2 forum as an attempt to highlight mods or applications that were so good that they should arguably be made part of the game when the sequel comes out.

In that list I avoided mentioning custom classes, skills, skins, or dungeon levels (anything that would be easy enough for us to mod back into the game), and focused on mods that impact gameplay. The discussion never really took off over there though. Perhaps this forum would have been a better place to post it.
    Paladin Class: discussion thread, download page
    Shared Animations Library: discussion thread, download page