[CLASS] Enchantress

PhanjamPhanjam Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭
edited August 2012 in Mod Showcase
enchantbanner_4d8.jpg

Allows you to select a class named "Enchanter" in Torchlight. The Enchantress channels the power of ember to attack with deathly magic.

Installation
Extract the folder "Enchantress_Mod" from the archive and place it in your Torchlight mods folder, usually...

[Drive]:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\runic games\torchlight\mods

It's best to clear the mod cache before running the game with this mod for the first time. If you experience a game-crash after the cache clearing, run the game again but without clearing the cache and it should run fine from then on.

Download
You can DL this mod from its RGF file page.

UPDATES
Now Version 2.3, as of Dec.21, 2010
version 2.1 released 18 December 2010.
version 2.0 released 17 December 2010.
version 0.3 released 20 August 2010.
version 0.2 released Aug.10,2010.
version 0.1b initial release

Pls see the latest thread posts for the version details.
Lvw5p3z.png
Torchlight 1 Class Pack (TL1CP) Mod for TL2: Steam | RGF

Comments

• PhanjamPhanjam Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭
    Version 0.1 Info

Similar to the Valkyrie II mod, this Enchtress Mod was culled out of the "Yet Another Gender Mod" (YAGM) by Chazyl.

The only big change was to her Wardrobe. The Enchantress will ALWAYS be wearing a cowl except for 3 armor-sets: Plate, Heavy Plate and Valkyrie (because they already have face-covering helmets, which I thought was essential for her overall look).

Art-wise, I changed her skin to a purplish tone (seemed necessary for magic-types - lol!) and added some glyphic tattoos around the base of her neck.

I also revamped the character creation screens with new charcater selection icons, to better match her in-game appearance. I used fan-art of Raven from the Teen Titan comics.
    Lvw5p3z.png
  • TuishimiTuishimi Posts: 220
    Awesome! :D LOVE THE EYES!
    Getting a mesh/naming issue...

16:25:40: OGRE EXCEPTION(6:FileNotFoundException): Cannot locate resource MEDIA/WARDROBE/VANQUISHER/vanquisher_leather.skeleton in resource group ZIP or any other group. in ResourceGroupManager::openResource at C:\svn\Projects\ogre161\OgreMain\src\OgreResourceGroupManager.cpp (line 799)
    16:25:40: OGRE EXCEPTION(6:FileNotFoundException): Cannot locate resource MEDIA/WARDROBE/VANQUISHER/vanquisher_leather.skeleton in resource group ZIP or any other group. in ResourceGroupManager::openResource at C:\svn\Projects\ogre161\OgreMain\src\OgreResourceGroupManager.cpp (line 799)
    Not sure why it's looking for the skeleton file... it doesn't seem exist in other vanquisher-based mods.
    O.K. Made a few changes. There were some Enchanter (and one alchemist) folder under models and units and such. I renamed stuff, edited the class file itself to make sure the paths were correct, etc.

Working for me now! :)
    edited August 2010
    :oops: Hi Tuishimi! Thanks for taking the time to tell me. I discovered the same problems and I feel so ashamed releasing a glitchy mod like that - my apologies to you and to the community. :oops:

But I just released version 0.1b of this mod which fixes those issues. Pls download it from its RGF file page.
    Lvw5p3z.png
  • RMUKRMUK Posts: 147
    Testing this now Phanjam, thanks - might inspire me to actually play an alchemist past level 10 :lol: Will post here if anything is amiss :!:
    edited August 2010
    Version 0.2 Released Aug.10, 2010.

Version 0.2 basically has new and replacement skills as follows:

Added new skill Repulsion at Level 1, a powerful gust of wind repels nearby enemies. Uses the pre-existing (not sure for which character) "Repel" skill.

Replaced Summon Alchemic Golem with Summon Skeletal Warrior using the "Summon Improved Skeletal Warrior" spell that's available as a scroll, but modified to increase the summons duration (modeled after Xastabus' Minion Madness Skeletons mod). Max of 5 skellies at a time.

Replaced Summon Beam Golem with Summon Blood Skeleton using the "Summon Blood Skeleton" spell that's available as a rare scroll, but also modified similar to the Summon Skeleton Warrior skill

I just felt it was "off" for a magic-based female character to be summoning mechanical golems.

Some Screenshots

The Enchantress and her skellies!
    biwlyf.jpg

The Repulsion skill box
    2irkkcm.jpg

The Summon Skeletal Warrior skill box
    3g8bb.jpg

The Summon Blood Skeleton skill box
    23vky28.jpg
    (I am proud of those last 2 skill icons)

The Repulsion skill in action
    34ervdf.jpg

Pls let me know what you think - balance issues, suggestions, problems - any feedback is very welcome!

Hope you enjoy!
    Lvw5p3z.png
    RMUK wrote:
    Testing this now Phanjam, thanks - might inspire me to actually play an alchemist past level 10 :lol: Will post here if anything is amiss :!:
    yeah i fee the same way :D - must be something about playing with girl characters :mrgreen:
    Lvw5p3z.png
    By the way, the armor the Enchantress is wearing in the last set of pics above, is available as an Armor Add-on Mod for the Enchantress class. It's based on Omunall's DemonHuntress armor which is my favorite armor skin-set mod of all time! Pls visit the add-on's thread for more mod and DL info :)
    Lvw5p3z.png
  • karlkarl Posts: 109
    Just put this mod in. Started a new character. Nice. :)

"My pack is full" and similar utterance are in the male alchemist voice. Is this correct?
    The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.
    Aaarggh! No it's not! Thanks for reporting that glitch :o :oops: :? Will fix it as soon as I can!
    Lvw5p3z.png
    Phanjam wrote:
    Aaarggh! No it's not! Thanks for reporting that glitch :o :oops: :? Will fix it as soon as I can!
    Is this something I can fix myself? Like a text file somewhere i can just do an edit on?
    Hi Karl! Thanks much for offering as I was afraid I wouldn't have time to correct this soon!

Aren't you the adventurous one! Be warned, one bite from the apple of modding knowledge may change your life forever! :twisted: Mwahahaha!!! just kidding :lol:

In the Enchantress_0.2_Mod folder in your TL mods folder, navigate to "\media\units\players\alchemist\". In here you will find the file "enchanter.dat".

Open that file (notepad will work) and search for the line "<STRING>VOICEINVENTORYFULL_SOUND:ACInventoryFull". This is the line that is causing the problem ("ACInventoryFull" is a pointer to a sound file meant for the Alchemist)

Overwrite that line with the folloiwng line instead: "<STRING>VOICEINVENTORYFULL_SOUND:VQInventoryFull". This fixes the problem becasue "VQInventoryFull" is a pointer to a sound file which the Vanquisher uses, thereby giving the Enchanter a correct female voice :) .

This should solve the problem, but let me know if you have any more trouble!
    Lvw5p3z.png
    Done. :) Thanks, dude! :D

Only (minor) problem I had was that the .dat file was not exactly text. Looked to be some sort of double-byte character coding. Was able to work around this, fortunately.

After my edit, I deleted the enchanter.dat.adm, since I remembered reading something about caching and I suspected it was a compressed duplicate of the old version of the enchanter.dat file. When I next ran Torchlight, it regenerated the file, so all seems well.

Enchantress's voice now is as it should be. Thanks. :)
    karl wrote:
    Done. :)Only (minor) problem I had was that the .dat file was not exactly text. Looked to be some sort of double-byte character coding. Was able to work around this, fortunately.
    yeah, .dat files are, I believe, some sort of XML file. So if your PC is set-up to open XML-formated files in a particular program (other than notepad) it may display in that S P A C E D O U T way :D
    I'm glad it's working for you now and thanks really for bringing it to my attention!

Everyone, I'll have a corrected version up ASAP!
    Lvw5p3z.png
    Phanjam wrote:
    Hi everyone! Released version 0.3 as follows:
    1) Corrected a minor bug where the Enchatnress was using an Alchemist voice file by mistake (big thanks to karl for taking the time to tell me about it!)
    2) Version 0.3 also makes an internal clean-up so that the character creation screen draws the Enchantress icons from a new icon imageset in the mod/UI/itemicons folder. This change is supposed to make it easier to combine this mod on a single character creation screen with other custom class characters.

Other than these, version 0.3 makes no gameplay changes to this mod.
    Lvw5p3z.png
  • robcallisrobcallis Posts: 303
    Phanjam wrote:
    Phanjam wrote:
    Hi everyone! Released version 0.3 as follows:
    1) Corrected a minor bug where the Enchatnress was using an Alchemist voice file by mistake (big thanks to karl for taking the time to tell me about it!)
    2) Version 0.3 also makes an internal clean-up so that the character creation screen draws the Enchantress icons from a new icon imageset in the mod/UI/itemicons folder. This change is supposed to make it easier to combine this mod on a single character creation screen with other custom class characters.

Other than these, version 0.3 makes no gameplay changes to this mod.
    Dang, I was hoping the Demoness armor was included with this update. And so your saying we can more than one custom class loaded? But keep up the good work.
    People motivate themselves, and are inspired by others.
    So I've gradually begun to notice a problem. I don't know when the problem started, because it took me a while to realize anything odd was going on. The problem seems to be only happening with my enchantress character, so possibly the problem is caused by the enchantress plugin: i'm not entirely sure.

The actual problem is that some enemies are randomly becoming unattackable. I aim and click and nothing happens. Minions and the pet won't attack it. Odder still, the unattackable enemy is "friendly": it attacks other enemies! Oh, and when this happens, a sort of globe of light hovers over the enemy. Now, I seem to recall that some classes have a charm spell to do this, but I've never used it. My Enchantress focuses on Ember bolt, duel wield, and summoning, so this should not happen. The pet does not use a spell to charm enemies, either.
    • is this problem caused by the Enchantress mod? (some invisible passive spell?)
    • How can I find out the above?
    • Is anyone else having this problem?

The only other mods I'm running are Valkyre 2 and the Banshee.

p.s. - sometimes it happens to a boss! D'oh!
    karl wrote:
    So I've gradually begun to notice a problem. I don't know when the problem started, because it took me a while to realize anything odd was going on. The problem seems to be only happening with my enchantress character, so possibly the problem is caused by the enchantress plugin: i'm not entirely sure.

The actual problem is that some enemies are randomly becoming unattackable. I aim and click and nothing happens. Minions and the pet won't attack it. Odder still, the unattackable enemy is "friendly": it attacks other enemies! Oh, and when this happens, a sort of globe of light hovers over the enemy. Now, I seem to recall that some classes have a charm spell to do this, but I've never used it. My Enchantress focuses on Ember bolt, duel wield, and summoning, so this should not happen. The pet does not use a spell to charm enemies, either.
    • is this problem caused by the Enchantress mod? (some invisible passive spell?)
    • How can I find out the above?
    • Is anyone else having this problem?

The only other mods I'm running are Valkyre 2 and the Banshee.

p.s. - sometimes it happens to a boss! D'oh!
    Check your equipment, you might have something that charms your enemies to fight for you for 20 seconds. And btw how did you get the add-on to work. In my mod directory I have the Enchantress 1st and the add-on after that. In TorchLeech I have it loaded the same way. But it shows the default meshes. :o Help :shock:
    Thanks. When I next run the game, I'll check over what's equipped.

The add on for that armor (whatever it's called) you mean? I read about it but didn't try it, so I don't know. :o

EDIT: that was it. She has a shoulder peice that causes a 2% (or so) chance of enemies becoming friendly. D'oh! That was my mistake. The Enchantress mod is fine! :)
    karl wrote:
    Thanks. When I next run the game, I'll check over what's equipped.

The add on for that armor (whatever it's called) you mean? I read about it but didn't try it, so I don't know. :o

EDIT: that was it. She has a shoulder peice that causes a 2% (or so) chance of enemies becoming friendly. D'oh! That was my mistake. The Enchantress mod is fine! :)
    Cool glad everything is ok :lol:
    Hey thanks Robcallis for helping clear that up!

About the Demon Huntress armor add-ons not showing, it may be that the game has a different interpretation of "load priority" :lol: I put a number prefix on my mod folders (starting at 000) to order how they load, thinking lower numbers should load first. But it seems the game does it the other way around. Could you give that a try first?

Will also work on a complete mod that uses the Demon Huntress armor already, so you won;t have to fiddle around with an add-on :D
    Lvw5p3z.png
    Phanjam wrote:
    Hey thanks Robcallis for helping clear that up!

About the Demon Huntress armor add-ons not showing, it may be that the game has a different interpretation of "load priority" :lol: I put a number prefix on my mod folders (starting at 000) to order how they load, thinking lower numbers should load first. But it seems the game does it the other way around. Could you give that a try first?

Will also work on a complete mod that uses the Demon Huntress armor already, so you won;t have to fiddle around with an add-on :D
    No problem glad to help when ever I can.
    enchantbanner_4d8.jpg

Version 2.0 Information

Hey whatever happened to version 1.0? Well, there wasn;t one. I jumped to 2.0 to signify a REALLY big change in the development direction for this mod, which was to move her completely away from being an ALchmeist gender counterpart and to become a more traditional mage/sorceress type warrior.

I decided to use the skill tree I developed for the AMMUT DISCIPLE mod, because (a) they were the kind of skills I thouhgt a mage should have and (b) I have decided to stop development of the AMMUT mod because of the basic flaw in that mod's use of the Zealot mesh which is the absence of proper animations for all the attacks and very importantly for fishing.

I have also given her all new attack and voice sound files (a little over the top, but hey...) and a new character intro/game-start screen.

You can DL Enchantress 2.0 from its RGF database page...
    Lvw5p3z.png
    Now Version 2.1 (as of Dec.18, 2010)

Just a minor update to clean-up the voice sound files (some of them were difficult to understand) as well as the intro cinematic.

The RGF DL link is still the same.
    Lvw5p3z.png
    [PATCH] For Enchantress Voice

I've made a patch that adds additional voice sound files for the Enchantress. When she attacks or performs skills, this patch will make her either recite a chant or make an evil chuckling sound. Requires at least Enchantress v2.1.

Download link

Didn't release it as a full update since I wasn't sure if this would interest anyone. Just put the [PATCH] folder into your mods folder like any other mod - just make sure it loads before the main Enchantress mod.

I'd like to know what anyone thinks of this please! :)
    Lvw5p3z.png
  • OK, I tried the new enchantress, got up to somewhere in the mid-teens. C&C time. There are a lot of things I like, and also some concerns I have.

I like the new high magic/dark magic theme, but...
    ...She seems like she might be a bit overly elemental in her current incarnation. I know that's hard to avoid in this game, with only four magical damage types (all elemental, effectively) and then just "magic" damage, but for instance, she has two lightning powers: Lightning Orb at 5th (which I admittedly used as my bread-and-butter for quite a few levels due to its reasonable damage and low mana cost, in spite of its unwieldiness), and then Lightning Rage later (and I shudder to think of what I'd be doing with Lightning Rage if I saved points for that rather than spending them all on Lightning Orb). That said, it may have been your intention.
    ...I wanted to summon Nether Imps. Needs more Nether Imps. The class's theme practically screams Nether Imps.
    ...Smite was pretty cool; it has a very convenient area of effect, unlike Lightning Orb, which is a real PITA to aim.
    ...Shadow Chains seems to work better as an ouchie dispenser than a debuff, but it is very expensive, especially considering that it's available at second level. If you intended it as an ouchie dispenser and not as a debuff (which seems likely), I'm inclined to suggest raising it to a higher tier where the mana cost will be less heart-attack-inducing, but it also occurs to me that the raw damage at the start wouldn't be that great at a higher tier, either, so I dunno.
    ...Fiery Breath is really weak, especially when you compare it to the other stuff enchantresses get at level ten.

The voice is excellent, especially with the voice patch (which I installed right off the bat).

Mangle is a nice touch, and definitely keeps a magical feel despite being a melee attack (aside from Magic not strengthening it), and I like that you actually gave it a different (and more magical-looking) particle effect than Slash. I like it, it's clever and I couldn't resist playing with it, and it still has a certain charm. I just don't know what I want to do with it, really. I mean, I'm aware you're supposed to, like, go into melee combat with it, but but but...
    ...I can't use it with staves. I know it's a melee attack and thus not being able to use it with wands makes sense, but staves? It's not unusual for me to have a wand on one weapon set and a staff on the other, but this requires me to actually dedicate one of my weapon sets to a Mangling tool.
    ...It's 100% Strength when I've been pumping Magic like a powdered ember fiend, on top of the fact that I have to wade into the danger zone to play with it.
    ...The above two points might be me missing its point: they're things I'd definitely suggest addressing if Mangle is being marketed to enchantresses in general, but your intention might actually be to throw a bone to enchantresses specifically aiming at melee builds as opposed to ranged nuke builds. That's actually fine, and I'm not knocking it. Even if it's the case, though, I have further concerns, which apply whether it's intended for enchantresses in general or just the oddball melee build.
    ...The mana cost is awfully high, don't you think?
    ...My kingdom for a spell to help me not die while I am mounting this confused suicide. You know, something along the lines of the alchemist's Ember Shield or the destroyer's Frost Shield. Even something like the destroyer's Spectral Echo or Shadow Armour.
    ...And, if it's intended specifically for melee enchantresses, level ten isn't horrible, but would level five fly? It occurs to me that alchemists get Ember Shock at level one.

The skill tree is a bit of a mess, though I imagine you're already aware of it. It occurs to me that you might just be waiting until you've finalized her skills to bother sorting it out, though.

And lastly now that you've diverted the enchantress from her original female alchemist objective, I'm actually going to have to get off my **** and make an actual breakout of the female alchemist. asdflkjsad;flkajfg;oa w8
    Hi Allison! Thanks so much for all this feedback! I really appreciate it :D I have some responses below...

Imps

Did you say Imps?! :) I have been working on an Imp skill for the Enchantress, because I felt she needed summons support earlier in the game (the SkelKnight and the Troll are available at levels 10 and 20 I think). So I modified the Alchemist's imps skill and I give you...
    F I R E I M P S ! ! !
    fireimp.jpg
    Aren't they cute?! They've even got little fire bites!
    I've made this into a patch already :D get it here.
    I think I'll have the Enchantress start out with 1 point in it already. I may have to bump the SKelKnight and the Troll higher tho, idk yet.

Enchantress skills in general

Glad you like the theme! It's a good indication to me that I'm on the right track :) Although I wasn't conscious I was doing it this way at the time, you're right that I'm just sticking in any skills I think are nice at this point.

So it's classic not-seeing-the-forest-for-the-trees; yes the skills mix should be improved (and yes the skill tree IS a mess!) and making it a less elemental-heavy mix is probably the right direction, starting with getting rid of same-element overlapping skills (like Enchanted Breath). Then put in stuff like more buffs (speed, resistances, etc.) and even a small expansion of magic-infused melee stuff, along the lines of the suggestions you made for the Mangle skill.

Beyond that is stuff like tuning the levels at which each skills becomes available, and tuning mana costs for each skill (your point about Enchanted Chains for example). But as a player, I'm not terribly conscious of character builds and how it's affected by skill choice. So my view isn't a good one to use while fine-tuning skills. I guess I wanna say, I'd really appreciate some direction/suggestions in this area from anyone who has an opinion or a philosophy for that :)
    The voice is excellent, especially with the voice patch (which I installed right off the bat).
    Haha! Thanks! I'm glad you like it - I think I'll release it in a full update now, along with the new imp skill :)
    Lvw5p3z.png
    Now Version 2.3

Okay here's the latest update numbered version 2.3.

It incorporates the voice add-ons released earlier as a patch and also the new Fire Imp skill discussed in the previous post.

As usual, feedback is very much welcome! :D
    Lvw5p3z.png