New to ARPG - Some Questions

awestover89awestover89 Posts: 8
edited September 2012 in TL2 General Discussions
So, I am new to this style of game in general, but heard good things and really enjoyed the demo. I just had a few questions that I hope people could answer for me:

1) I keep seeing people talk about NG+. I understand from googling the basic premise of a New Game Plus, in that your existing character starts over at the beginning but stays the same level/items/etc. and in turn the play through is more difficult but provides better items. Is that an accurate explanation or am I missing something?

2) Is there any difference to the various pets other than cosmetics? Do pets have skills/attributes/etc. other than the three items?

3) I always hear people talk about going back and redoing areas, farming for XP, gold, or items. Do you have to do something special to redo an area after you have completed it? I am level 19 veteran embermage and am having some problems with my current quests even though they are 16-18 areas (I think). How can I go back and level up/gear up aside from leveling up a new character and using the shared stash if I get lucky with drops?

4) I keep having a problem with left clicking to run and kite then my character for some reason seems to stop and start running towards/meleeing the boss. This is actually the reason I am dying so much per point 3. Am I doing something wrong or is there a way to prevent this?

5) Since files are saved locally, there is no character limit, right? I can roll as many characters as I want?

6) Related to above, are names for Co-op unique?

7) I am really more of a single player type gamer. Do I miss anything out content wise by playing through entirely on single player?

Comments

• sadronsadron Posts: 809
    1) Yes, you've got it.

2) No, it's merely cosmetic.

3) You would have to reset your world though I think that happens after a time of not playing, the areas reseed.

4) Yeah the hitboxes on monsters are a little large, I've had that same complaint.

5) Yes you can save as many as your harddrive can hold. It's not capped at like, 10 or whatever. You could have 100 if you so desire.

6) I don't know personally but I would assume you'd be able to play with two guys named Bob in the same game.

7) No, all of the content is accessible on Single Player.
  • plndaplnda Posts: 54
    So, I am new to this style of game in general, but heard good things and really enjoyed the demo. I just had a few questions that I hope people could answer for me:

1) I keep seeing people talk about NG+. I understand from googling the basic premise of a New Game Plus, in that your existing character starts over at the beginning but stays the same level/items/etc. and in turn the play through is more difficult but provides better items. Is that an accurate explanation or am I missing something?

2) Is there any difference to the various pets other than cosmetics? Do pets have skills/attributes/etc. other than the three items?

3) I always hear people talk about going back and redoing areas, farming for XP, gold, or items. Do you have to do something special to redo an area after you have completed it? I am level 19 veteran embermage and am having some problems with my current quests even though they are 16-18 areas (I think). How can I go back and level up/gear up aside from leveling up a new character and using the shared stash if I get lucky with drops?

4) I keep having a problem with left clicking to run and kite then my character for some reason seems to stop and start running towards/meleeing the boss. This is actually the reason I am dying so much per point 3. Am I doing something wrong or is there a way to prevent this?

5) Since files are saved locally, there is no character limit, right? I can roll as many characters as I want?

6) Related to above, are names for Co-op unique?

7) I am really more of a single player type gamer. Do I miss anything out content wise by playing through entirely on single player?

1 ) Correct at ng+ the monster will be lvl 51, the drops will be ofcourse better then non ng+ games
    2 ) as far as i know no
    3 ) Make a lan game or internet game and reroll the world
    4 ) Hold shift while attacking
    5 ) Afraid i can't awnser that question only have one char atm
    6 ) no , Account Name | Playing as : Ingamename
    7 ) fun of coop, :P its really fun
  • BonyBony Posts: 182
    edited September 2012
    You will miss no content as a single player. In fact sometimes you see more of the world if you are the person who sets the pace of the game.
  • arkorearkore Posts: 193
    4) Please post a video of this happening. You can use Fraps to record, and upload your video to Youtube account.

7) Not really, however you'll have a more enjoyable experience by playing Co-op with friends. Also, might be a nice experience for you to join a multiplayer game for messing around; playing along side random players.
  • xbonxbon Posts: 316
    for 3, you can't reroll in demo, get full game, enter multiplayer/lan, and reroll.
  • JoystickMonkeyJoystickMonkey Posts: 861 ✭✭✭✭
    4) The Tilde ~ key can be used as an "Always Run" function. You could maybe remap this (It's called "Move") to your middle mouse button or another convenient button under Settings -> Controls. It's sort of like the opposite of the shift key.

7) We specifically made it so that you weren't required to be in MP to access content. If you never plan on going online and if you get tired of the base game, I would recommend experimenting with the console. Sure, you could use it to cheat, but it's also fun to spawn a few hundred skeleton mages and see if you can fight them all. :)
    Runic Level Design
    Teaching my Headcrab the finer points of necromancy.
  • Thanks all for the answers, really helped a lot.

I am definitely much more a single player than a multi player gamer. I even play MMOs and LoL as single player and have a lot more fun that way than playing with other people. Just who I am I guess.

I do have the full version, bought immediately after finishing the demo, so I can do the multiplayer reroll world trick, but I might try again with using the tilde key to fix my movement issues. And I doubt if I'll grow bored with the main game any time soon. After I've played the various classes and some "exotic" builds (I love the idea of a sword/shield mage) and have gained some comfort level, I can do NG+ and HC games

• 7) We specifically made it so that you weren't required to be in MP to access content. If you never plan on going online and if you get tired of the base game, I would recommend experimenting with the console. Sure, you could use it to cheat, but it's also fun to spawn a few hundred skeleton mages and see if you can fight them all. :)

it could be really traumatic if you are playing a **** character! :shock: