Can someone explain to me how he did this?

chilledfrenchchilledfrench Posts: 217
edited September 2012 in General Modding
http://www.runicgamesfansite.com/vbdown ... &fileid=19

I assume that is a rings that is modified, so he found a way to change stats on an item. any idea how that is done? i thought modding couldn't happen until they release whatever is needed to do it (sorry im not very familiar with all this).

Im really interested in what is involved to make something like this.

Comments

• ChewtoyChewtoy Posts: 185
    easy, put item to shared stash, save, exit game, get a hex editor modify the values in shared stash and make item OP.
    9pwcg9.jpg
    (YOUTUBE) N3KIO
    Potions of Chew Respec Sharedstash viewtopic.php?f=48&t=35925
    The Toy Collector (Mapworks Overhaul) viewtopic.php?f=48&t=54724
  • So I assume editing your stash would flag your character?
  • The way he did it was pretty easy actually.

He extracted from the pak files, used cliensaw's dat2txt script to get a txt file of the ring. Added in numbers to 100+. Used txt2dat to re-inject the txt file back into the dat file. Patched the pak file and it works.
    | How to extract/edit TL2 item files, V012 [With images] I am no longer active in the modding community. If you wish to take a project that I have made, besides the 'How to extract/edit TL2 item files', and change it as your own, you may do so.
  • Chewtoy wrote:
    easy, put item to shared stash, save, exit game, get a hex editor modify the values in shared stash and make item OP.
    Actually, that doesn't work so well. Items are controlled by a base values for all items of that type, then by affixes for any magic effects or enchantments. Those crazy enchanted items in TL1 didn't have for example a single affix for physical damage that pushed things over 900, but rather several similar affixes which were added together.

Meaning that item statistics are all derived, rather than unique to that instance. RAM and Hex editors generally don't work well on derived statistics since they end up having to either change one of those base attributes and lead to duplicate results, or having to find some internal multiplier to manipulate.

He extracted from the pak files, used cliensaw's dat2txt script to get a txt file of the ring. Added in numbers to 100+. Used txt2dat to re-inject the txt file back into the dat file. Patched the pak file and it works.
    After seeing this I tried to do the same but don't get how the text2dat and dat2text work at all. Did you make that work? Of so how? I would very much appreciate a bit of help :)!
  • SalanSalan Posts: 2,642
    interesting way to make simple mods for now
    Synergies Conversion mod: http://www.synergiesmod.com
    Elite monsters, Hero monsters, world bosses, rare dragons, rare trolls, three tiers of End Game Raids, Legendary Armor sets, NEW Legendary Weapons, 3 new classes, Mercenaries, and Angels!
    21971.png

moty-250.png
  • plndaplnda Posts: 54
    The really easiest way to do it is to memory edit. you can basically alter anything
  • kalamari157kalamari157 Posts: 377
    edited September 2012
    The way he did it was pretty easy actually.

After seeing this I tried to do the same but don't get how the text2dat and dat2text work at all. Did you make that work? Of so how? I would very much appreciate a bit of help :)!

No problem, making a post right now.

Guide is up.
    | How to extract/edit TL2 item files, V012 [With images] I am no longer active in the modding community. If you wish to take a project that I have made, besides the 'How to extract/edit TL2 item files', and change it as your own, you may do so.

No problem, making a post right now.
    thanks a lot I appreciate!
  • | How to extract/edit TL2 item files, V012 [With images] I am no longer active in the modding community. If you wish to take a project that I have made, besides the 'How to extract/edit TL2 item files', and change it as your own, you may do so.