Embermage Tips & Tricks

2»

Comments

• BoozieBoozie Posts: 3
    Was wondering what spells I should be using on my mage and pet. I currently have 3 summons and a break shield spell on my pet, debating giving him a 4th summon instead. Also are skeletons or nether imps better at any given level?
  • IcefreezeIcefreeze Posts: 22
    Embermage One Point Wonders (skills that provide significant benefit for 1 point):
    Prismatic Bolt - This spell is very helpful for early leveling and down right broken late game. The difference between 1 and 15 points is only 30% more damage.
    At lv15 Primatic Bolt you have 24% deal elemental effect at 3.8s. This is good if you use PB is main skill.
    You can deal all 4 elemental effect constantly, so you can deal more Damage with Fire Damage over time, poison effect, and be support by Light, Ice effect.
    30% of this skill not like 25 % magic damage of Charge Bar.
    Eg:If you character have 1000 Focus. When you full of Charge Bar, call PB lv1 Damage is A,PB Damage level 1 is:
    A + (500% x A) ( from 1000 Focus) + (25% x A)(from Charge Bar full) = 625%A.
    If PB at 15 lv, your PB Damage = (130% x A) + (130% x A x 500%) + (25% x A) = 805%A

Do you think this so
  • FinrazielFinraziel Posts: 505
    Well, the thing is, even lvl 1 PB once you get up in level will obliterate the weaker stuff so fast that the brands don't even really matter yet. So, the brands come into play against champions and bosses, and since the rabble dies so easily, most of the bolts will either be hitting them already, or if not then the rest dies, and then the bolts will all be hitting them.
    If you're focussing on PB you should get faster cast, which means you'll pump out 2 to 2.5 PB's per second. In one cast of lvl 1 PB, that 10% chance per bolt turns into a 41% chance of inflicting that specific element on your target if all five bolts hit that target. Let's say you pump out 4 bolts before having to frost phase to a new location, the chance for any specific element to not be applied by now is 12%. That's per element, so that means that most of the time you'll have most or all of the four statuses applied. These statuses last for three seconds which is plenty because in those three seconds you may frost phase away and then cast another four PB's, most likely refreshing all the statuses again.
    So as you see, it doesn't matter that the chance is so much better at rank 15, because the chance is already really low of not applying all status effects when you're repeatedly casting PB. The only reason you might want to up PB's rank is, paradoxically, if you don't cast it all the time but instead cast it once and then use other spells.
    Finraziel wrote:
    Well, the thing is, even lvl 1 PB once you get up in level will obliterate the weaker stuff so fast that the brands don't even really matter yet. So, the brands come into play against champions and bosses, and since the rabble dies so easily, most of the bolts will either be hitting them already, or if not then the rest dies, and then the bolts will all be hitting them.
    If you're focussing on PB you should get faster cast, which means you'll pump out 2 to 2.5 PB's per second. In one cast of lvl 1 PB, that 10% chance per bolt turns into a 41% chance of inflicting that specific element on your target if all five bolts hit that target. Let's say you pump out 4 bolts before having to frost phase to a new location, the chance for any specific element to not be applied by now is 12%. That's per element, so that means that most of the time you'll have most or all of the four statuses applied. These statuses last for three seconds which is plenty because in those three seconds you may frost phase away and then cast another four PB's, most likely refreshing all the statuses again.
    So as you see, it doesn't matter that the chance is so much better at rank 15, because the chance is already really low of not applying all status effects when you're repeatedly casting PB. The only reason you might want to up PB's rank is, paradoxically, if you don't cast it all the time but instead cast it once and then use other spells.
    Do you use it usually or just say it ? :D
    I use PB already usually and i see if we continue casT PB, your enemy will constantly take all of 4 elemental effect :)
  • Well yes, but that's what I was saying. If you're constantly hitting an enemy with PB then no matter what rank it is at, it will constantly be affected by all four of the effects. That's why it doesn't help much to get a bigger chance of inflicting the status because you can't be more than affected by it, once you have it, that's it.
    Finraziel wrote:
    Well yes, but that's what I was saying. If you're constantly hitting an enemy with PB then no matter what rank it is at, it will constantly be affected by all four of the effects. That's why it doesn't help much to get a bigger chance of inflicting the status because you can't be more than affected by it, once you have it, that's it.

Character can't stand to Fighting against tough boss. With more level for PB, effect time and % deal effect increasing. If just use lv1 PB you can not affect elemental effect constantly to enemies like lv15. I'm bad in English so i can not explain clearly for you by English. So just check it by yourself ;)
  • Icefreeze wrote:
    Finraziel wrote:
    Well yes, but that's what I was saying. If you're constantly hitting an enemy with PB then no matter what rank it is at, it will constantly be affected by all four of the effects. That's why it doesn't help much to get a bigger chance of inflicting the status because you can't be more than affected by it, once you have it, that's it.

Character can't stand to Fighting against tough boss. With more level for PB, effect time and % deal effect increasing. If just use lv1 PB you can not affect elemental effect constantly to enemies like lv15. I'm bad in English so i can not explain clearly for you by English. So just check it by yourself ;)
    You don't have to stand and cast all the time, just cast a couple bolts , reposition, cast some more bolts, repeat ad nauseam (see why I don't like PB). You'll hit plenty to have all effects on most of the time.

I did actually try it out myself now though, because I don't like PB and so I don't have all that much first hand experience with it. Took my lvl 74 veteran mage that I kind of abandoned, respecced to have just 1 point in PB, 1 point in frost phase, 13 points in each of the brands and nothing else. Mostly because I meant to record a video for you, but it seems you have to buy Fraps to make videos longer than 30 seconds, but they don't actually say that on the tab about recording videos and you don't get a proper feedback that it stopped recording, so that just ended in frustration and a lot of crashes (it doesn't like it when you alt-tab while recording and because I didn't realise it was stopping after 30 seconds, I hit the button to stop the video before alt-tabbing which actually started a new video)... So, no video, just take my word for it.
    I had **** gear because I donated a lot of my equipment to new characters, only 5 enchanted items, rest was random **** I picked up and autoequiped. Still had 20% faster cast, but my point is a properly equiped character would be a lot better and I'm not even talking about farmed and optimized gear.
    Just finished NG+ so I went down into the mineshaft to kill the Alchemist and Netherlord again. Was still about 5 levels underleveld, but all the random **** here died so fast to my lvl 1 PB that it really didn't make much sense thinking on how they might die even faster with a higher proc chance. Then both the Alchemist and Netherlord it was very easy to just teleport when something threatened to hit me and immediately resume casting prismatic bolt, flooding the screen with bolts. Any minions they summoned died just about as fast as they came into existence and most of the bolts went straight for the boss. Any time the boss actually wandered onto my screen and I put my mouse cursor on them they had all four of the status effects on them, always. So yeah, higher proc chance would have done absolutely nothing in those fights.

Now I'm not saying there is absolutely no advantage to higher ranks in PB, there's the 30% increased damage from rank 15 and you do get some advantage from having all four status effects on faster (like on champions that may take 5 casts to die instead of 6...), but you should also consider the manacost. With my lvl 1 rank, after about 30 seconds of holding down my PB button, I'm down to about 300/374 mana. That's with only one 1.7 mana recovery per second gem socketed. It would take several minutes of uninterrupted casting to drain my mana. Now I leveled it up to rank 13 which is the highest I can get at my level, and it takes me 7 seconds to get an out of mana message!!! That is an insane difference for a little over 20% damage increase and means that rank 1 will actually pump out more damage simply because you have less out of mana downtime, unless you invest heavily into manaregen.
    Now maybe with really high focus (I had about 500 now) this would be less of an issue, but I expect you'll still have to slow yourself down. At this point where I am now, I took my character into a mapworks map around my level, and I very quickly ran into mana problems, having to hang back to wait for my mana to regen or start up a manapotion addiction. You could compensate for this with lots of manaregen gear, but that means that you'll suffer in other departments (%DR, HP, whatever).
  • VorodarVorodar Posts: 691
    edited February 2013
    Putting a point or two in (or three) in Elemental Attunement should be enough for PB to maintain the status effects forever - 5-6 seconds is plenty of time to reapply effects - at 40% success rate 3-4 casts would very likely reapply the effect and that would only take 3.5-4.2 1.8-2.4 seconds (with no casting rate improvement). If you take Tier 1 PB you get an even larger refresh rate of the status effects (53% chance to trigger per effect per cast, assuming all bolts hit) and almost a second of increased duration (at the very least the increased duration covers one cast of PB).

Still, though - it's not really that much of a deal - you can move when PB inflicts the status effects and it doesn't much matter if you're currently triggering two brands or three - stuff dies anyway. Bosses also take more time anyway and not being 100% efficient with the brands (it would be probably like 90%-95% if you're not bothered at all to try and have them all the time) would only extend the fight by a few seconds. End of the act bosses, on the other hand, would you care if you took 100 or 120-130 seconds to beat? it's all the same after half a minute, at least to me.
    Call your dogs! They can feast on your corpses!
    Grovel before your true master.

I <3 thunderlocusicon.jpg
  • Vorodar wrote:
    3-4 casts would very likely reapply the effect and that would only take 3.5-4.2 seconds (with no casting rate improvement).
    How do you get to that? Without any faster cast gear PB takes 0.6 seconds per cast, so 3-4 casts would be 1.8 to 2.4 seconds. Are you including repositioning or something?
    And obviously a dedicated PB mage should get faster cast gear, so it will be better than this already.
    Finraziel wrote:
    Vorodar wrote:
    3-4 casts would very likely reapply the effect and that would only take 3.5-4.2 seconds (with no casting rate improvement).
    How do you get to that? Without any faster cast gear PB takes 0.6 seconds per cast, so 3-4 casts would be 1.8 to 2.4 seconds. Are you including repositioning or something?

Ah, sorry, for some reason I thought the cast time was 0.7 seconds, I shouldn't have been going from memory. Erm, even then I somehow managed to **** up the maths, though - I was multiplying for 5-6 casts (likely to go with the 5-6 seconds above). Maybe next time I do maths, I should be less sleepy.
    Finraziel wrote:
    And obviously a dedicated PB mage should get faster cast gear, so it will be better than this already.

I just wanted to illustrate that vanilla is perfectly doable and viable, adding cast speed would not affect much the ability to maintain status effects.

• Well, it would make it even easier to reapply all the effects before they run out, because you can get more casts out in the same time... but I mainly meant to aim that comment to those who thought you needed more ranks in PB to constantly keep all the effects applied.
    Yeah, you don't, that's my point. If you really want to, you can get a couple of ranks in EA and that would serve way more than maxing out PB. Tier 1 PB is nice for some extra damage and four ranks aren't really something that would make the build incredibly more awesome if put elsewhere, either but the point stands - unmaxed PB is still efficient enough. If anybody is that worried about efficiency, then PB putting more points into PB is hits a plateau (or very slo climb) very very fast. Putting more points simply isn't that useful than spending them elsewhere.

2»