Winterlight (Mod Teaser)

shibuyashibuya Posts: 11
edited January 2011 in Design
Hey everybody,
not much to say yet. Just wanted to showcase a concept art for the mod i'm working on.
Hope you like it.

*Update*

Winterlight title theme: http://bit.ly/2QZFj0
Just finished the first track of the soundtrack. Enjoy ;)

Planned features:
    New town located in northern area. 3 new environments: Tundra, Taiga, Alpine. New monsters like mutated bears, wolves. New quests. New items. New music!!

Everybody who wants to join developement is very welcome.

winterlight_big.jpg

Comments

• do u do a new town?
  • Yes, my plans are to create a town similiar to Harrogath (D2 Act 5) mixed with Torchlight style.
  • Nice job with the picture, what did you use, photoshop?
  • New class heroes or maybe sub class to the new ones, I'd really love to see a skill separation between them. Cuz having them share same skills is rather stupid imho. Its like everyone got the same passives. Could be used to developing new spells or passive skills.
  • Thanks ;) yeah it's done in Photoshop. The finished graphic will be a little different since i plan to use other mountains and the character will have different clothing. I can't wait what you guys think of the music im just composing. I know it won't be as epic as Matt Uelmen's work but since i'm a musician myself there could be one or two people who like it ^^
  • @BentoBento That would be cool, yeah but since i can't do everything i will concentrate on environment changes. Trying to deliver new worlds and monsters for now, new character class would be an option.
  • I'd very much like to see this.
    In the wake, our existence. In our parades... and in our dances.
    With great spirits proclaiming that capitalism is indeed organized crime - and we're all the victims.

10sdxer.jpg
  • @DresdenDoll Glad to hear ;) Can't wait for the modding-toolkit.
  • Do you have any models or textures prepared for this sort of project?
  • Oh yeah i got plenty of textures in my pool but i think i will alter existing ones to meet my requirements and to keep the "comic" style alive. When it comes to meshes i also got some existing ones but since they don't meet the graphics style i will do everything from scratch. It's my first full mod for a game but i think i can pull it off. Just needs time. Started working with 3D Studio release 3 back then, so i think i can do it. Right now i'm preparing textures and customizing the GUI. Gonna wait with 3D modelling and animation till TorchED is available. Btw.: think of this more like an add-on as LOD for D2, not total conversion. Besides that it will concentrate on new environments and story, not too many new monsters or items. Wish i could include everything i can imagine but since i got to work it's not possible.
  • Updated main post:

Winterlight title theme: http://bit.ly/2QZFj0
    Just finished the first track of the soundtrack. Enjoy ;)
  • Sounds interesting. Gonna keep my eye on this one for sure. :)
  • Definitely looking forward to see what this is going to bring to the table. Though personally, even though the name is good, I thought of something else in mind for the mod title. Just whipped this up in like 5 minutes when I read about this Mod.

tleow.jpg

Also: Just got time to listen to the new song you put up. Absolutely amazing, feels very Diablo-esque, and that my friend is never a bad thing when talking about Torchlight (and who's behind it). Though the beginning does sound like the echoing is coming from an enclosed room, gives a feeling of being in a damp cave or haunted house, not something you'd want to aim for when protraying a vast open mountainside, other than that small bit, it has an amazing feel to it and I love, love, LOVE it.
  • "Embers of Winter" sounds very good to me. Now i'm in trouble because i wonder if "Winterlight" does the trick ;)
    Thanks, glad to hear you like the soundtrack. You're propably right about the beginning. Might cut that small part. So, yeah, the plan was that it would sound diablo-esque. I first thought about naming the track "Trastrim". No, just kidding ;)
  • AlishaAlisha Posts: 32
    Love the Theme, Sound's very Diabloish it should fit well with the style
    zilo.jpg
    Gorgath the 1st - lvl 19 Destroyer HC
  • DushoDusho Posts: 988
    hey, the music sounds perfect !
    looking forward to this.. do you have idea how the Winterlight town will look like?
  • XuvenXuven Posts: 139
    Looking forward to it, sounds amazing :D
    LucasKlauber from the old Mythos Forums
  • shibuya wrote:
    "Embers of Winter" sounds very good to me. Now i'm in trouble because i wonder if "Winterlight" does the trick ;)
    Thanks, glad to hear you like the soundtrack. You're propably right about the beginning. Might cut that small part. So, yeah, the plan was that it would sound diablo-esque. I first thought about naming the track "Trastrim". No, just kidding ;)
    Would the beginning fit? You go from the caves and damp dark areas of the tunnels and it opens up to the vast tundra. I think it would work well.
  • KraidKraid Posts: 11
    This is indeed a well made concept so far!
    Good luck with future plans, I might offer my help once the Editor is out :)
    kraidbannerzx7.png
  • RiaenRiaen Posts: 6
    That bit of moosick sounds epic ^^ I are look forward to thees ^^
  • shibuya wrote:
    "Embers of Winter" sounds very good to me. Now i'm in trouble because i wonder if "Winterlight" does the trick ;)

By all means feel free to use the title if need be, I was just pumping an idea that popped into my mind without a second thought. I am more of a conceptionist in the world of design, I create what others can build off of. :)
  • That sounds great if you need someone for testing or voice acting i would be proud to help you ;-).
  • I'm impressed (and I'm one jaded ****!)
  • VagrantVagrant Posts: 409
    The concept of the mod seems interesting, but the inclusion of Wolves worries me. I suppose they could be cursed or mutated Wolves, but if not... well...

I never understood the reasoning behind using Wolves as an opponent, because any kind of Wolf insofar as it's close enough to reality to still be called a Wolf and not something else really wouldn't just run up to a bloke in armour, one who might have guns, or the ability to toss magic around, and attack them. Not even with a pack. Wolves are a little bit smarter than that, so it's always a bit of an immersion breaker for me.

It's not as bad as being attacked by rabid, feral cows and horses, but it's not that far off. It's like people see what the assume might be a vicious beast and make the illogical leap of poor judgement that just because it looks subjectively vicious too them, it must be the kind of creature which would gut, rend, and tear. To be honest, I thought we would've got past that kind of thinking at some point past the Crusades.

That was one of the deal breakers for me about Oblivion until it was modded, that Wolves would simply charge up to this armoured Knight on horseback and start attacking him. Not to mention that Wolves don't tend to have such unpredictable predatorial mindsets. Our Wolves will either run if they've met dangerous humans before, or in the case of Arctic Wolves, they tend to accept people as fellow predators providing said people don't overstep their boundaries.

That's one of the things I really liked about Torchlight, it wasn't one of those grossly uninformed games whose developer didn't bother to do any research, there weren't any animals present that behaved in such a wholly unrealistic way they'd break immersion, and I was very glad of that.

Just my two pence, anyway.
    I'm many things: a transhumanist, an imagineer, a werewolf fan, and an amateur hypnotist even. But perhaps the most important to keep in mind is that I'm an old-master at tongue-firmly-placed-in-cheek.
  • Thanks for the comments guys. Glad you like the music concept so far. Still learning how to work with TorchED. Here's a screenshot of the town developement:

wldev_screen_001.jpg

As you can see there's already a bit of snow ;)
    ****, this will be lots and lots of work.

@Krummfinger Voice acting sounds like a nice feature but i'm not sure i got time to cover that.

@Vagrant Not sure about new monsters anymore since my timetable is exploding.
  • Wow, that looks great! Can't believe you're already this far hehe
    JamesL is my hero!
    TorchED ****
  • VendettaVendetta Posts: 156
    This could be phenomenal.

The music is good also.
    FYI, *to find good music files, just steal Final Fantasy music)
  • i like the embers of winter compared to winterlight, mabye because im thinking well, a torch is hot, but the opposite of a torch (a hot handheld object) is not winter, it would be more like. . . a frozen icicle, that you have to put up to your face to cool down.
    it sounds good, i would help out but i cant do much in editor yet. im looking forward to how you create the town.
    balrogspainlarge.jpg
  • BissrokBissrok Posts: 654
    Vagrant wrote:
    The concept of the mod seems interesting, but the inclusion of Wolves worries me. I suppose they could be cursed or mutated Wolves, but if not... well...

I never understood the reasoning behind using Wolves as an opponent, because any kind of Wolf insofar as it's close enough to reality to still be called a Wolf and not something else really wouldn't just run up to a bloke in armour, one who might have guns, or the ability to toss magic around, and attack them. Not even with a pack. Wolves are a little bit smarter than that, so it's always a bit of an immersion breaker for me....

That's one of the things I really liked about Torchlight, it wasn't one of those grossly uninformed games whose developer didn't bother to do any research, there weren't any animals present that behaved in such a wholly unrealistic way they'd break immersion, and I was very glad of that.

Just my two pence, anyway.

But teaching your pet wolf/lynx to throw fireballs and summon zombies is okay? Plus, this a cartioonish, fantasy video game, not a nature documentary.