Level 1 Embermage in multiplayer.

SparklySparkly Posts: 19
edited January 2016 in Torchlight II Support
I posted this in the Embermage forums, but I thought I would post it here as well since it is a bug and it is a rather impeding one:

Excerpt from my first post with some modifications for clarity:
Seemingly at random, and without any indication to me, my embermage is seen by other people's clients as being level 1. This only happens during multiplayer games, of course, and I have to ask others I'm playing with to tell me if it's happening; if they see me as being level 1. Some times my name is also changed to "Embermage." When this occurs, all of my abilities and equipment function normally, but the level difference checks when interacting with monsters essentially get me killed in one hit because of this. I cannot reliably play multiplayer for fear of this bug; it really has an awful impact on my ability to enjoy the game.

For the record, it has happened to me on an embermage I used the console on with friends and on an embermage who has never touched the console. Does this happen to anyone else? Does anyone know if there are any plans to fix it? Is there a way to avoid it? I was hoping the most recent patch would address this, but this happened again to me today (October 5th).

My second post in the same thread:
When the bug happens to me, I get hit hard by everything and anything. I usually die in one hit from any attack meant to hit moderately hard or higher. This is at level 20 -- I imagine at much higher levels that anything would murder me outright.

This problem is also mentioned in this thread, but only in passing: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=33428

Press CTRL+F and search for "level 1 embermage." I at least know that it is not unique to me. I can only hope that the developers are aware of it; I'll post this in the bugs forum as well.

Comments

• r10yur10yu Posts: 1
    This issue also happens to my friend's Embermage character. On LAN and Internet, the player periodically shows up as Level 1 Embermage with Fame at 0. The player's name is replaced by Embermage.

The problem seems to occur after going through any instanced transitions such as portals or stairs. My character, Engineer, is not affected by this bug. It may be an Embermage only problem.
  • This happens to me too, and I also play as an Embermage (level 91). My fiance and I play on LAN so I've seen what it looks like on his screen. Unlike what OP experienced, I don't think my stats are affected in any way. I still do level 91 damage, and I still die in about 2 hits. One interesting thing that happens is that my animations are all gone for other players.

I'm a frostmage, so my main moves are Frost Wave, Hailstorm, and Ice Prison. My fiance will hear the Frost Waves and Hailstorms from my computer (and they appear just fine on my computer), but on his screen I'm just standing there doing nothing (with monsters randomly exploding in front of me). When I use Frost Phase, he'll see me teleport from one area to another, with none of that icy blue stuff that usually accompanies the skill. Lastly, the only skill that he does see is Ice Prison, but he can't see me casting it, and he CAN'T MOVE THROUGH IT. So there are times when I accidentally trap him in my Ice Prison along with some monsters, and he can't get out. That last part is probably the biggest problem in terms of multiplayer. No idea what skills get affected in the Fire/Storm tree.
  • runic, any updates on this?
  • Constantly happens to a friend of mine while playing multiplayer. He's the only person it's happening to in our group of 3. Both of the other players see this happening as well. The character seems to stand still and do nothing and is a level one "Embermage" instead of his normal name. He's constantly getting one shotted in ng+ elite. Hoping this will be fixed or at least acknowledged.
  • i put in a bug report on this issue quite a while back that, after a bit of back and forth where the report wasn't really being read properly, is finally being looked at.

yet to have it confirmed that they have discovered what causes it or that a fix is coming though.
    ... give trillbot the love ...
  • is there any update on this one because I think I have this or a similar problem.

I seem to take at least 10 times as much damage as my Co despite I have twice his armour.
    He sees my stats far too low (5% actual). My focus is 0 for him. He doesn't see my spell castings. BTW I created the game.
  • GoboGobo Posts: 15
    I did not know about this thread when I reported this issue two days ago in another thread. And yes, in addition to my findings in the linked post I also noticed the mage player to randomly show up as Embermage instead of the character name. But the age of this topic proves my assumption wrong, I thought the bug appeared after one of the most recent patches.
  • This happens to me as well. At first I thought that the name bug was not really important so i disregarded it. As for getting 2 shotted, I thought it was because i was a squishy mage. Then it started happening in lvl 10 zones. So now I'm here wondering what the **** is going on xD.
  • irismist wrote:
    This happens to me too, and I also play as an Embermage (level 91). My fiance and I play on LAN so I've seen what it looks like on his screen. Unlike what OP experienced, I don't think my stats are affected in any way. I still do level 91 damage, and I still die in about 2 hits. One interesting thing that happens is that my animations are all gone for other players.

I'm a frostmage, so my main moves are Frost Wave, Hailstorm, and Ice Prison. My fiance will hear the Frost Waves and Hailstorms from my computer (and they appear just fine on my computer), but on his screen I'm just standing there doing nothing (with monsters randomly exploding in front of me). When I use Frost Phase, he'll see me teleport from one area to another, with none of that icy blue stuff that usually accompanies the skill. Lastly, the only skill that he does see is Ice Prison, but he can't see me casting it, and he CAN'T MOVE THROUGH IT. So there are times when I accidentally trap him in my Ice Prison along with some monsters, and he can't get out. That last part is probably the biggest problem in terms of multiplayer. No idea what skills get affected in the Fire/Storm tree.

I have been experiencing exactly this, earlier tonight even. Only difference is, it is a Firemage it is happening to.
  • WOW... I had no idea this was actually linked...

I have been searching why my wife embermage was always standing still (no animation of any ability being played)
    (and she was somehow always dying for no reason all the time... i simply thought she was noob) lol...

I am playing engineer and she is embermage (we are at act 4 - normal - lvl 53)

and i also saw her name appear as embermage yesterday for most of the day... thought it was strange seeing "embermage has died"... but now i understand it was all linked!!

I also wrote to Runic directly before finding this... (searched google for a while thinking it was only a rendering bug)

Seems like this has been going on for quite a few months already... sad its not fixed yet...
  • I'm really sad to see this bug is still around! It played a very large role in my taking a break from the game. I was hoping someone would create a mod to fix it if the developers didn't have time to change it, but it seems there's no luck on that front either.

If you could be so inclined to answer, is there any word on a fix for this, developers? It's really frustrating to try to be an embermage among friends when the threat of this bug is looming. D:
    Sparkly wrote:
    I'm really sad to see this bug is still around! It played a very large role in my taking a break from the game.
    Yeah, it's the main reason I am visiting the forum more often than actually launching the game...
    Sparkly wrote:
    If you could be so inclined to answer, is there any word on a fix for this, developers? It's really frustrating to try to be an embermage among friends when the threat of this bug is looming. D:
    Believe me, it's frustrating for the engineers, too. And sadly I didn't notice any official news on this topic among the related threads.
  • Oy, well at least I now know I'm not the only one with this problem. My fiancée and I have been playing this co-op for the past couple of weeks and about every 20-30min or so, after traveling to a new instance, my character would show up as a Level 1 Embermage instead of my level and my character name "Patina". Of course I'd get shwacked in two hits. :| This happens both for online games and for LAN games. Frequently happens after passing through a gateway to an instance. She has always started the games, but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.

The only way to fix it is to close the game, load it back up, and re-join the game and everything work fine for another few instances or so. No other classes seem to have this issue. Other than this issue, Torchlight II has been running flawlessly for us, but it's really frustrating to have to log out and back in every 20min or so. It's like the host is asking for some information from the client, and the client is only responding partially.

In the mean time, on to NewGame+ I suppose... Would be awesome if Runic could fix this after they get back from break and before we go on our Honeymoon in May!
  • My wife and I finished the game... (doing exactly what you just described)... I am still following the thread cause I was curious to see if anyone official would ever come to say its been fixed or something... hehe...

Hopefully it WILL get fixed as it is somewhat of a major issue when playing multiplayer...

And I might do another run in a few years... just like i have enjoyed re-playing some other hack-n-slash dungeon crawler in the past... ESPECIALLY since this one supports nice mods and upgrades! :)
  • SvengeSvenge Posts: 5
    edited March 2013
    I'm surprised there's not more traffic on this issue. I just posted in this thread, about the very same problem.
    viewtopic.php?f=43&t=35546

Also found it here:
    viewtopic.php?f=54&t=36586
    viewtopic.php?f=54&t=42478 <-most comprehensive info

More than a minor inconvenience to unsuspecting players. Please resolve this issue, Runic Games.
  • Hey everyone, just wanted to jump in here to let you know that we are not ignoring this issue. Unfortunately this particular issue is a difficult one to track down with any consistency. We are actively investigating this bug and we may be contacting some of you via our support system or forum PM at some point for some additional information. Thank you all for your patience with this issue.
    Runic Games Webmaster
    Forum Rules | Support Forums | E-mail Support
  • SvengeSvenge Posts: 5
    Thanks JediFreeman, glad to hear back so quickly! I'd be happy to help if I can, feel free to contact me.

As you can see I edited my previous post; make sure to check out this thread, I think it has the most comprehensive info to date and Xeno must have put a significant amount of time into studying the problem already:
    viewtopic.php?f=54&t=42478
  • embermanemberman Posts: 729
    Interesting that this only happens to embermages. I'm just posting here because I've seen this in multiplayer games before, but just thought it was a random glitch and ignored it until I saw this thread.
  • How in the world is this still broken? This game has been out for over half a year with numerous patches and I've had a topic open about it since October (and if this isn't the same problem, then your embermages are just screwed up) that no one has even bothered responding to. I am completely horrified that nothing has been done about this except for a single response (again more than half a year later) that "it's being looked into". I can't believe I bought two of these.
  • BrianWBrianW Posts: 2,310 admin
    How in the world is this still broken? This game has been out for over half a year with numerous patches and I've had a topic open about it since October (and if this isn't the same problem, then your embermages are just screwed up) that no one has even bothered responding to. I am completely horrified that nothing has been done about this except for a single response (again more than half a year later) that "it's being looked into". I can't believe I bought two of these.

We've never been able to repro this issue, but it's not for lack of trying. Are you able to reproduce the problem consistently with new Embermage characters?

The bottleneck is that, although we can ask for your game save, the problem appears to be conditional -- meaning that it doesn't appear to happen to every Embermage character that gets created. Something very specific and rare happened in your case. And, to make matters worse, character files which are already broken unfortunately aren't helpful to us in tracking this issue down.

If we can get repro steps, then it will be very easy for us to find and fix the problem (we do want to fix it!), but as I said before, we've not been able to re-create the problem. Really sorry about that!
    BrianW
    Community Manager // Mr. Nice Guy

Join us on Discord! https://discord.gg/runicgames
    So you're positive it's a character corruption on the embermage side? And new embermages should be relatively safe from this? In other words, it has nothing to do with the engineer character and it is not related to the special pairing of embermage and engineer? It is not related to two player co-op only?

Just curious, because the same embermage that gets so *** squishy in a co-op game with an engineer after a short while can manage flawlessly when playing all alone for hours.

I'll link to my summary on this topic in case it slipped your eyes.
  • We haven't tried it with new characters. I've got an Engineer and my wife has an Embermage. We haven't played this game in months because this issue pops up every time we play. It's not consistent in that it always happens at a noticeable time, but it's consistent enough that each time we play it happens.

You mention that characters that are already broken don't help in finding the issue. Is the character's save corrupted? Do I need to find some editor and remake her character to see if that helps alleviate the issue? If the character's save is corrupted, it's not beyond recognition as it plays just fine and, as others have mentioned, works completely and wholly well for single player.

I don't know when I'll have time to play this again to see what is/isn't still happening, but if there's anything I can report back, or if you want a process dump or something next time I see it happen, let me know and I'll do what I can. I know I sounded a bit harsh with my previous post, but we'd just like to enjoy the game how it was meant to be enjoyed.
  • Hey guys just stopping by to give my two cents on this issue as it is hindering my brother and I gaming experience. Everytime we try to play online together he will be level 26 for a while but then out of no where he becomes level one to me and he has no fame but his armor and weapons still work fine. But it's not just a engie and embermage problem, as I am a outlander and it is happening to us as well. It is annoying as we can not play because he dies every hit he takes. Also I can't see his animations of most of his attacks. Please get this fixed, from looking at this fourm it was brought up quite a while back. And this is a serious bug.

misc. info- we play on a friends only world, set to reroll, and on vertern
    like00111 wrote:
    But it's not just a engie and embermage problem, as I am a outlander and it is happening to us as well.

Thank you so much, this is the very first post to my knowledge that confirms this bug in different class layouts than embermage and engineer.

So I stand corrected and the reasoning about corrupted mage saves is gaining weight in my eyes.
    Gobo wrote:
    So you're positive it's a character corruption on the embermage side? And new embermages should be relatively safe from this? In other words, it has nothing to do with the engineer character and it is not related to the special pairing of embermage and engineer? It is not related to two player co-op only?

Just curious, because the same embermage that gets so *** squishy in a co-op game with an engineer after a short while can manage flawlessly when playing all alone for hours.

I'll link to my summary on this topic in case it slipped your eyes.

It may very well be related to the pairing of the Embermage and Engineer. I'm just saying that we haven't been able to repro it so far, despite our best efforts. :?
    like00111 wrote:
    But it's not just a engie and embermage problem, as I am a outlander and it is happening to us as well.

Interesting. First time I've heard of this issue apply to a non-Embermage character. So you've got an Engineer and an Embermage in-game and it happens?
    BrianW

I think we got you confused, BrianW. It's always the embermage that gets shown as level 1 and getting squishy, but to my knowledge like00111 confirmed for the first time on this forum that this happens in a combination of embermage and outlander as well. The other sightings all happened with the embermage and engineer combo.
    Gobo wrote:
    I think we got you confused, BrianW. It's always the embermage that gets shown as level 1 and getting squishy, but to my knowledge like00111 confirmed for the first time on this forum that this happens in a combination of embermage and outlander as well. The other sightings all happened with the embermage and engineer combo.

Understood.
    BrianW

• Since you guys haven't been able to repro this issue. I thought I'd give you more to go off of.

I played over the weekend with my wife, we were going back through act 3 with level 50 ish chars (me on engineer and her on embermage) to get the robot body. So everything was fine until we got to the Blightbogs--I went in, then when hers loaded, it borked up.30933D1342081200DC32CAB70438C2D0B10F765B. As you can see, it says she's lvl 1. Also, her time played reset to the time it loaded her into that zone. All of her stats are much lower than when looking at the char screen from her computer. I'm guessing it's just showing lvl 1 stats plus the stats straight off of her gear.

So whenever a zone loads for her, for me it just says "Embermage has entered the area" It stays this way until she logs off. As seen in the two images below (in the first image, you'll see it says her name twice. The first time was when she loaded into Imperial Camp, the second was when she loaded into Rotted Path. After that, then when it broke was when we were going into Blightbogs). I was hosting a local LAN game. We didn't try to repro this going through the same areas. It's happened via both LAN and internet play, and in all acts of the game. When this happened, almost all of her ability graphics stopped showing up for me. She would just run around and things would die on my screen. When I'd look over at her screen, the graphics played normally.
    C24F2A988FC175CEE3059F79DFA20AB723071DEC
    A4793BD750CAE03F7554481624C6D846F16DEC53
    Can folks verify that this issue is still happening with the latest patch?

Claude: Can you send a copy of both the Embermage and Engineer game saves to [email protected]? Once you've done that, PM me your ticket number. Thanks!
    BrianW

• I've been playing with my friend who is an embermage and I can confirm this still happens on the latest patch.