Frostmage Build - A Guide to freeze your foes the right way!

1234568»

Comments

• Using the 45% block shield, I usually wind up with too much vit after enchants to need the spell. But I don't aim for very specific enchants.
  • asskickerasskicker Posts: 4
    Graycloud wrote:
    Dexterity is essential for maximizing high-end DPS in any build capable of exploiting critical hits. A Frostmage (or Glaivelander...) with 1500-2000 points in Str+Dex+Foc will hit hardest around 300-380 Dex, depending on the exact point total and any +dmg%/+crit%/+critDmg% bonuses. It's reasonable to have around 100 base Dexterity and get the rest from Borris, and there's a bit of slack in the target value, but with 109 total Dex you're leaving a lot of DPS on the table. (My currently-geared Frostmage peaks at 280/300/920 out of 1500, and gives up about 15% at 5/109/1386.) Minimizing Str and Dex to that degree also implies a lot of tedious and expensive re-enchanting, and there's no point in working harder to get less.

Vitality is indeed The Block Chance Attribute. How much you need depends heavily on the shield you want to use; you can equip a Parma's Coal-Burner and call it a day with a mere 72 (or 184 with no tome), but if your heart is set on the sockets or affixes of a particular 15% shield then you'll need a more substantial 397 to reach 75% block. And if you're not holding a shield then you don't need any Vit, because its other defensive properties really are ****.

So how should the stat allocation go for the first 50 levels? I have currently been going 3:2 with focus:vitality but that isn't working out too good for me. :P
  • First thanks for this awesome guide.

I'm new to TL2 and my following question is probably stupid.
    Can someone explain me how he gets those stats ?
    Str 5, Dex 53, Foc 345 and Vit 137 requires 400 pts and you have 395 pts at level 100.
    A patch has changed the starting stats of an Embermage ?
  • Nobody wants to answer my question ?
    This discussion is dead ?
  • ChthonChthon Posts: 1,855
    kouassy wrote:

Borris.
    Torchlight 2 Rapid Respec - Putting the "hack" in "hack-n-slash"
    StashNinja - INFINITE Stash for Torchlight 2
    NullMod - Play together in the same multiplayer game with different mods!
  • kouassy wrote:
    First thanks for this awesome guide.

Str 5, Dex 53, Foc 345 and Vit 137 requires 400 pts and you have 395 pts at level 100.
    A patch has changed the starting stats of an Embermage ?

If you don't know who Borris is, he's called Borris the Overpowered and is a somewhat rare enchanter that can add dozens to hundreds of stat points to your equipment (depending on item levels and luck).

Items with + stat boni can also be shopped quite easily, or you can find skulls (unique quality gems, drop from blue superchests) with 30-60-ish boni.
  • I know who Borris is ;)
    He can add stats to your items, not to you.
    You don't answer my question.
    Stats shown by Odir are : Str 5, Dex 53, Foc 345 and Vit 137.
    And embermage starts with : Str 5, Dex 10, Foc 15 and Vit 10.
    (53-10)+(345-15)+(137-10) = 43 + 330 + 127 = 500. Odir spent 500 pts in his stats. How ?

I know that it is not important for the guide. I just wanted to know how he did that.
    Looks like nobody knows and it doesn't really matter ;)
  • So i'm trying out this build in elite. It takes me forever to kill stuff and I'm only lvl 9. I found myself on mordox running about for like 3 mins not able to kill half the minions that spawn before he spews out more. I'm chugging pots like mad. Is this normal? I had to quit before dying for being overrun and not being able to dps mordox at all.
  • Is this normal?
    Kind of. Icy blast at low level elite is a grind. To get further, you need either better weapons and constantly paying attention to your dps or 1/15 prismatic bolt. Latter can be respecced every 3 levels or with rapid respec if it is not to be in the final build.
  • First I would like to thank the OP and everyone else who had contributed to this thread. I used it to start my character and it helped me greatly in creating a fun build. With that said I did have a few questions that I have not seen much information on. First, I haven't seen any suggestion for 4 socket weapons for end game builds. I would imagine dual weapons with 4 Rambren skulls and 4 Whorlbarb skulls for 40% crit chance, 240% crit damage would be pretty devastating. Is there something wrong with this setup that I don't see?

At first I was confused as to why only stack focus in sockets, but when I read Armis's "[How Stuff Works] Damage" thread I see any bonus +% damage gets added together making focus the highest return. Focus damage bonus, All damage %, and specific element % are all added together in the damage formula, not multiplied.

I am only mid 40's currently, but I do like to plan for end game. I was curious how much crit chance, crit damage, and focus are added onto ~level 100 items from the enchanter. Trying to figure out which would give me the best return for when I get to that level.

Again thanks for all the information, it has been extremely helpful. I just hope these questions will answer others similar to my own. Also dual Netherrealm Axe is what I am looking to use. They also have the benefit of looking pretty creepy.
  • A couple of months ago I rolled a build based on the frost tree but modified to fit the current trend. I took FW, HS, BP and TL in one build along with basic supports (IA, DB, IP and FP) and the 4/4 rambren/whorlbarb dual wield weapon setup, and then pushed crit chance/crit damage to 100%/500% with stats. It took something like 480 str and 450 dex, I do not remember the correct numbers now. All those skills and also infernal collapse have one thing in common - they do not have crit chance modifier which means they will always crit if our crit chance is 100%.

I also made some calculations to have an idea of how this permacrit build compares to a full focus analogue or intermediate builds. It occurs that on the basis of 2500 total stat points it actually has the highest average DPS of them all. Average means that a build with more focus but less crit chance might get higher critical damage numbers but will also sometimes do normal damage that is substantially lower. While permacrit hits for a bit less but never sees normal hits.

So permacrit frostmage looks like a candidate to be the most overpowered or one of the most overpowered emage builds. On a basis of 2500 total stat points (or more) and if the following gear is used, 4 Rambren, 4 Whorlbarb, Netherrealm axe, Transcendent Mantle.

There is an image I have already posted here somewhere
    Netherrealm_crit.gif
    Two Netherrealm axes may actually be taken; The reason for that wand is that I wanted to use it for autoattacking (and also brought my fumble chance to 0 to accomodate it into the build's concept).
  • TaranTaran Posts: 494
    This is my favorite mage build. I use it on Synergies and it holds up easily.
    file.php?id=4794&t=1
    In every person there are 2 dogs fighting...1 Good and 1 Evil. The one that wins is the one you feed the most.
    Torchlight 2 Syenergies Mod forum / http://forums.synergiesmod.com/index.php
  • Here are details for 4 possible cases out of what is possible with 2500 points

15/15 frost wave damage is 2215-4429, average 3322 per wave. We can get millions if we cast it on the dummy affected by several elemental status effects at point blank, but a single wave out of five does something like that before being modified by focus stat. In the end it is around 150-300K per wave on critical hit.

full focus

cr chance 56
    cr dmg 320
    foc 2475
    dex 10
    str 5 average dps = 124100

130 dex

cr chance 76
    cr dmg 320
    foc 2355
    dex 130
    str 5 average dps = 145600

permacrit

cr chance 100
    cr dmg 500
    foc 1683
    dex 357
    str 450 average dps = 187700 (125100-250200)

interm crit

cr chance 93,5
    cr dmg 440
    foc 1940
    dex 250
    str 300 average dps = 181800
  • BaronBaron Posts: 127
    Greetings.

May I ask how much is your cast speed with your full crit setup ? The damage bonus + permacrit is indeed interesting, but that would also mean losing the potential +51% cast speed given by 2 socketed Blizzard wands + Ice squall armor. Would you consider it worth it (putting apart the personal tastes of one :p) ?
  • Awesome, thanks for the info. I was curious how well that build would play out. I considered trying to max crit, but didn't think it would overcome the focus loss, guess with end game stats it can fairly easily. I'm guessing the enchants are ~62-63 for stats (3 on each weap) and 10% crit damage. What does crit chance look like? I'm guessing only 1-2%, but if it goes all the way up to 5 it might be considered. Thanks again for all the info. I can use these enchant stats in my excel calculator to fiddle around with the dmg output.

Edit: To Baron, I'm not sure where you are getting 51%. I got 27% with the set, maybe 4* 6% cast speed sockets? I don't have my calculator with me, but basically that would net you a ~50% damage increase (1.5* damage ~50% increase in damage) vs not having it. Dual nether axes would net about ~145% (50% 390% damage, 50% 100%) (ofc these calculations do not take into account existing cast speed or crit chance/damage). Also you would get 48% cast speed from 2* Alchemist Ring of Ember and 6 piece transcendent set. Again, I need my calculator to do better calculations for gains vs losses, but the shear qty of crit damage and crit% you can stack to me far out weighs other bonuses.

I'll have better numbers later once I figure out the BiS armors and such. For now I have been basing most of my calculations on the OP suggested equip with no enchants since I don't know their numbers for top tier.
  • Baron wrote:
    Greetings.

May I ask how much is your cast speed with your full crit setup ? The damage bonus + permacrit is indeed interesting, but that would also mean losing the potential +51% cast speed given by 2 socketed Blizzard wands + Ice squall armor. Would you consider it worth it (putting apart the personal tastes of one :p) ?
    No, ofc I had no intention to compare everything to everything so do not have the answer ready. That hero has 65% CS. 15% transcendent icon, 9% ascendant pants, 15% tr. set bonus #6, 14% inquisitor helm, 6% inquisitor gloves, 6% inquisitor set bonus #4.
  • Nice guide.
  • Odir wrote:
    You cant expect to rock from level one because as a Frost Mage you will scale well better in lategame.

It seems to me that melee character classes (bezerker,eng) at low levels are somewhat easier to play than embermage /outlander because they always get up in the face of the enemy, while mage/outlander can pick them off from a distance. So boss fights enclose you in a tight area, and before you have an effective Ice Prison skill, that could be uncomfortable.

I have played engineer, but am just staring embermage (plan->frostmage).

What tips do you guys have for low level frostmage against bosses? Of course, for example an an anti-poison potion against boletus is nice (can't remember what level I am supposed to be for that quest), but what about doing damage to the boss?

Hailstorm up to level 5 is recommended in this guide, and it's good for crowd control but I'm not sure it works well with other skills:

1) no charge
    2) it may stun a boss and may not. It's slow so a level 10 frostmage who depended on hailstorm as the primary weapon against a boss needs to stay alive while it is recharging.
  • What tips do you guys have for low level frostmage against bosses? Of course, for example an an anti-poison potion against boletus is nice (can't remember what level I am supposed to be for that quest), but what about doing damage to the boss?

Hailstorm up to level 5 is recommended in this guide, and it's good for crowd control but I'm not sure it works well with other skills:

1) no charge
    2) it may stun a boss and may not. It's slow so a level 10 frostmage who depended on hailstorm as the primary weapon against a boss needs to stay alive while it is recharging.

I use 5 point Magma Spear as a starting skill on all my Embermages ... Good DoT and excellent range, and not as cheesy as PBolt. Frostmage kind of **** until you get tier 2 Frostwave, which is at level 35, IIRC.
  • All of the skill build links are dead. Any way we can get these fixed?
  • jbass350z wrote:
    All of the skill build links are dead. Any way we can get these fixed?
    Or some prints of the build?
  • jbass350z wrote:
    All of the skill build links are dead. Any way we can get these fixed?
    Or some prints of the build?
    Yea, I wanna find out exactly which skills are in this build.
  • I tried to remake the build from the guide.
    Well, i don't know if is 100% sure but still...
    Charge Mastery - 5
    Icy Blast - 5
    Elemental Boon - 15
    Staff Mastery - 15
    Hailstorm - 15
    Frost Wave - 15
    Frozen Fate - 9
    Frost Phase - 1
    Ice Prison - 15
    Ice Brand - 15
    Prismatic Rift -15

At the end is 5/105/15 .
    It's strange because i used a cheating software to remake somehow the build but fame level "Fame: 33 (Demigod)" i remained with 7 skill points unused.
    So my personal decision was using that points on Charge Mastery.
    Finally i have "Charge Mastery - 12".

I hope this is useful if nobody plays this game!
  • ChthonChthon Posts: 1,855
    Clearly some folks didn't read the entire thread... The build in the OP is outdated. It was created at a time before we understood the game mechanics, so it includes a lot of really bad mistakes that weren't obvious at the time. Please look at this build for a more modern variant.

(I'd also suggest reading this thread from Finraziel's post on page 8 until mammothhunter's last post on page 12.)
    Torchlight 2 Rapid Respec - Putting the "hack" in "hack-n-slash"
    StashNinja - INFINITE Stash for Torchlight 2
    NullMod - Play together in the same multiplayer game with different mods!
  • Hey guy! Sweet topic, i'm playing on casual in order to farm a little, and soon i'm planning on going elite(not HC yet because i still didn't get all the hang of the game)
    And how can i get those itens you told me? Are they random or there are certain bosses/monsters i can get these?

Awaiting any answer :D

Thx
  • GeistGeist Posts: 128
    Drops are random. Basically, kill every champion, loot every chest, gamble, and trade with other players.

Also read the post directly above yours.
  • IcefreezeIcefreeze Posts: 22
    Odir wrote:
    You cant expect to rock from level one because as a Frost Mage you will scale well better in lategame.

It seems to me that melee character classes (bezerker,eng) at low levels are somewhat easier to play than embermage /outlander because they always get up in the face of the enemy, while mage/outlander can pick them off from a distance. So boss fights enclose you in a tight area, and before you have an effective Ice Prison skill, that could be uncomfortable.

I have played engineer, but am just staring embermage (plan->frostmage).

What tips do you guys have for low level frostmage against bosses? Of course, for example an an anti-poison potion against boletus is nice (can't remember what level I am supposed to be for that quest), but what about doing damage to the boss?

1) no charge

Against bosses you can deal more Dmg with Hailstorm debuff, stay close them and use Icy Blast, Icy Blast already have -Enemies Phys Dmg deal to you, and % to freeze/immobilize; if you near die, use Frost Phase to move to enemy's back.

Very good in Crowd control + Boost enemy's dmg taken, i think Hailstorm is already OP skill. With 100%crit build, you can kill all trash enemies on screen with just single Hailstorm =))
  • JorgeappJorgeapp Posts: 1
    Hello thanks for guide! for me start a new game with a Embermage on Elite is very hard i never understand why i die so may times... so with this guide i hope finally finish the 1st stage without death xD.

You can fix the images? some links of pictures are broken.
1234568»