Random crashes during LAN play

joschjosch Posts: 11
edited January 2014 in Torchlight II Support
Hi,

I'm playing the Torchlight 2 Steam version via LAN together with a friend.

During the Tempel Steppes everything went fine but as we progressed into the next area, trouble started. Every five to ten minutes, the game would randomly crash.

Those crashes happened at very different instances: when hovering an item in the inventory with the cursor, while loading a new area or when clicking on buttons in the menu. Crashes never happened during a fight so far. The behaviour of the crashes is the same for both of is.

What is strange is not only that the problems only started after the Tempel Steppes (those were perfectly fine) but also that when each of us plays in single player, then everything is fine.

I just played a new character in single player until the level our characters have in LAN (around 17 I think) without a single issue or crash. As it is right now, we will not continue to play together via LAN because the crashes are just too many to have the game still enjoyable.

I also dont see more information on the crashes. Just the dialogue box, asking for a description of what happened when TL2 crashed (which we always sent so far).

Sometimes before a crash we also see a couple of graphical errors (bitmaps would be missing from the interface or be wrong). An example is the loading screen that looks like this:
ewq3.png

Does anybody else have similar problems with respect to the crashes during LAN play?
Tagged:

Comments

• Sorry I haven't tried LAN as yet, (at least not co-op :P), but does this occur when you play via the internet also? or is it just LAN?
    Possibly a bad fly lead/wi-fi connection (is someone using a microwave by your wi-fi access point :D?

What happens if you are in a game and disconnect your network? Have you tested this?

Basically what I'm trying to say is have you ruled out the possibility that its a hardware issue?
  • WestonWeston Posts: 1,004
    In Steam do a file verification of the game cache files

Right click game name, choose properties, then choose local files then choose verify integrity of cache and see if Steam downloads anything for it which would indicate that something has become corrupt or was delivered corrupted already.

Worth a shot anyway.
  • joschjosch Posts: 11
    JeremyBOB wrote:
    but does this occur when you play via the internet also? or is it just LAN?

We didnt try to play online. It would not be nice if we have to play online because our connection to the outside world is neither the best nor always available so I guess we would get into much more trouble when involving the internet.
    JeremyBOB wrote:
    Possibly a bad fly lead/wi-fi connection (is someone using a microwave by your wi-fi access point :D?

I never mentioned WiFi. The problems occured when playing using ethernet cables.
    JeremyBOB wrote:
    What happens if you are in a game and disconnect your network? Have you tested this?

Why do you think this is relevant to my problem? FYI the game continues running but of course the other person drops out of it.
    JeremyBOB wrote:
    Basically what I'm trying to say is have you ruled out the possibility that its a hardware issue?

I was playing Diablo, Starcraft, Warcraft fine for the past five years on the same network. So I think it's unlikely to be hardware related.
    Weston wrote:
    In Steam do a file verification of the game cache files

Right click game name, choose properties, then choose local files then choose verify integrity of cache and see if Steam downloads anything for it which would indicate that something has become corrupt or was delivered corrupted already.

Worth a shot anyway.

Thank you, good idea! Though after going through these steps, steam tells me "All files successfully validated". But it was worth a shot :)
  • I find it very interesting that it only seems to happen during LAN (possibly online), and that it happens to both of you.

Do you both experience the same problem at the same time or is it *random* for each of you individually?
    Back on the hardware side, do you guys run similar hardware or maybe the same drivers?

Its potentially a bug in the game, but if others haven't mentioned it, it could be fairly rare and hard to detect. Have you queried support?
  • joschjosch Posts: 11
    JeremyBOB wrote:
    I find it very interesting that it only seems to happen during LAN (possibly online), and that it happens to both of you.

Indeed.
    JeremyBOB wrote:
    Do you both experience the same problem at the same time or is it *random* for each of you individually?

Individually. Sometimes I crash and drop out, and once I join again, after some *random* minutes, my friend crashes and drops out.
    JeremyBOB wrote:
    Back on the hardware side, do you guys run similar hardware or maybe the same drivers?

Similar in the way that it's both intel gfx. I have a X3000 and my friend a X2000.
    JeremyBOB wrote:
    Its potentially a bug in the game, but if others haven't mentioned it, it could be fairly rare and hard to detect. Have you queried support?

No we didnt query support yet, as we first wanted to see if others experience the same issue.
    Another curious thing was, that the "Temple Steppes" worked perfectly fine for us. Since we played this part before the last patch and the crashes only started after the patch - maybe it's also the patch that does something weird?

Earlier I said, that I can play perfectly fine in single player. But the character I started to play single player was created after the patch. I didnt use the character with which I play in LAN for single player testing since I dont want to advance ahead of my friend without him.

So next we will try to reproduce the problem. We will start over with new characters each and again play in multiplayer over LAN. We will see if the "Temple Steppes" are still okay and problems only start afterwards. The problems might appear from the start (in this case it's likely that the patch did something wrong) or the problems might be gone for good (in this case it might've been that the patch messed something with our characters we created before).
  • YunnerYunner Posts: 1
    Hey, I play online and my game always crash when it's loading to enter Temple Steppes. It keeps loading forever, and the only way to close the game is by using ctrl + alt + del. Alt + tab doesn't works.
    Maybe it's connected with Josch's problem, I don't know... D:
  • D2HansD2Hans Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forums but this topic is well over a year old. Also this is a technical issue so it is best to be posted with a new thread at the support forums and also creating a new ticket with Runic Tech Support.

Here is the forum for Technical Issues: viewforum.php?f=54

Here is the link to create a new ticket at Runic Tech Support: https://support.runicgames.com/new-ticket
    "Six... one, six... the nuuuumber ooof the beeeaaast!"
  • revevilrevevil Posts: 2

This issue has not been corrected. It is 2017. Why have we not received a fix for this? Where is the team from Runic? Are you guys alive? I asked them if my friend could have his key renewed years ago, and they never contacted me, even after they promised they would do it. We both spent money on this game but never got enough updated to make it 100% stable. I would buy Torchlight 3 right this second if there was such a thing, but this is why I have had to just play other games over LAN that are actually stable, even though I have never liked other hack n slash games as much as the Torchlight series.

I would like to see them finish the updates and make Torchlight 2 100% stable with mods like Synergies. That is real gamer support, not dumping a game and starting another. This is coming from someone who loves Runic and plays multiple games from them still, like Diablo 2 and Fate.

• BrianWBrianW Posts: 2,310 admin

@revevil please contact support@runicgames.com and be sure to reference your previous ticket number for context. thanks!

BrianW
    Community Manager // Mr. Nice Guy

Join us on Discord! https://discord.gg/runicgames