An Announcement From Marsh Lefler

Hey everyone,

It’s been over nine years since a rag-tag team of 17 developers helped open Runic Games. We’ve been so lucky for the community that has supported us and made us successful. Thanks to that support, we have had the chance to meet and work with the best people in the world. Our team here at Runic has released three successful games, and over that time we have seen many changes; team members got married, kids were born, but the most important thing is that we have become a family.

I’m sorry to say that today will be Runic’s last day open. Our focus is on our family here, and helping them find a new place to call home. If you are in games and looking for some of the best talent in the industry, please email jobs@runicgames.com.

For those that love the Torchlight series, there will be some news coming. And for all our fans, our community and multiplayer services will keep running even after the studio's lights go off.

It has been an amazing experience. To my family here at Runic, I know we won’t be far from each other, and I’ll miss seeing you all every week.

You haven’t heard the last of us,

Marsh Lefler
Studio Head

BrianW
Community Manager // Mr. Nice Guy

Join us on Discord! https://discord.gg/runicgames
Tagged:

Comments

• aherinaherin Posts: 54
    edited November 3

:( :( :(
    No words

• BrianWBrianW Posts: 2,310 admin

<3 i know

BrianW
    Community Manager // Mr. Nice Guy

Join us on Discord! https://discord.gg/runicgames
  • vv222vv222 Posts: 14

Now might be as good a time as any to thank all of you for the fun you brought to us…

I just finished Torchlight a couple days ago (but it’s been sitting in my game libraries for years), then sarted a game of Torchlight II with my girlfriend and we’re having a metric ton of good fun!

In my opinion nothing beats the Torchlight series as a modern take on the Diablo formula, and I can’t thank Runic Games enough for them.

I wish you well on your future journeys, and I hope to hear from you soon ;-)

• his1nightmarehis1nightmare Posts: 2

It drives me to tears.

Just thanks for everything and best wishes for the future.

• NetherscourgeNetherscourge Posts: 63
    edited November 3

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

:(

For those that love the Torchlight series, there will be some news coming.

Good news I hope? I really love the Torchlight games.

Torchlight 2 Main Character: Engineer "Tools"; Pet Pitbull "Drools"
  • _Nautilus__Nautilus_ Posts: 14

This is so sad. :''( You guys are a brilliant studio. I wish everyone the best going forward!

• mustang05timmustang05tim Posts: 23

This is quite sad. Your games have brought me hundred of hours of enjoyment, and were ahead of their time. Many other studios used your games as inspirations for their own. I wish all of you the best of luck in your future endeavors!

• hermeticcharmhermeticcharm Posts: 91 ✭✭

Thank you so much for the years of hard work and fun. This is sad but I can't wait to see what is on the horizon for you all!

"And so the endless cycle of life comes to an end - meaningless and grim. Why did they live and why did they die? No reason. . ."
  • gromitnzgromitnz Posts: 5

Bugga! Best wishes and good luck. You guys are diamond!

• EquisilusEquisilus Posts: 2

So sorry to hear Runic goes dark. All the best to everyone and hope to see y'all around out there doing what you do best.

• WebbstreWebbstre Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭

Thank you all. Many of you have been great to me and supported my fansite so much. We'll still be hosting the mods at http://www.runicgamesfansite.com and providing mod support after this forum goes down.

Administrator/Former Owner of Runic Games Fansite. Be sure to visit RGF for all your Torchlight series needs![/color] Don't forget to check out ModDrop as a one stop solution for installing and sharing mods easily!
  • Kva3imodaKva3imoda Posts: 984 ✭✭

It's a sad day for me. Your studio is one of the most honest and open to players. This is a big loss for the whole gaming community. You doing did great games and left behind a great legacy.

4ByzPdz.png 88pn2UZ.pngtrCrfep.png
  • PermaxımumPermaxımum Posts: 1

I was surprised to see this although I have been expecting it since the departure of Max Schaefer. PW started to involve more I guess.

I had great amount of fun playing TL I & II. I hate to admit when I started to get bored of TL 1, I played the forum game and acted a bit aggressive and kinda trollish at times but I had so much fun from the forum game too :) I'm sorry if I ever offended a Runic employee whether it's Dunbar or ex-Runic Baldree. I was mostly joking and pushing the buttons of them most of the time while posting seriously :)

Anyways, it's been a very successful run. Both critics and sales prove your success. Apperantly you've also gained a few die-hard fans. Zidders, Webbstre and more that I can't remember atm. But I also remember Stephen King's Misery so I don't know if it's necessarily a good thing :)

Kidding besides, I wish you good luck on your future endeavours. It will be rather easy this time with having Runic Games at your CV and I'm already looking forward to every one of yours next art and project. But now you can finally enjoy your free time. You earned it.

With Best Wishes
    Permaximum (E.E)

• greenwizard88greenwizard88 Posts: 141 ✭✭

Please let us know where you guys go next. You make some great games, and I hope to see a spiritual successor to TL2 one day.

So long, and thanks for the memories.

supadutchftgreenwizard8.jpg
    R.i.P. HGL Servers, Halloween 2007 - January 2009
  • phredisphredis Posts: 9

Very sad to hear this.
    I wish all of you at Runic good luck in all your future endeavors. Please keep being awesome, wherever you go.

• degrassinoeldegrassinoel Posts: 13

gutted to hear this :/
    Thank you so much for Torchlight and TL2 Runic, (haven't had the chance to play Hob yet)

Wish you all the best in your future careers!

• degrassinoeldegrassinoel Posts: 13

gutted to hear this :/
    Thank you so much for Torchlight and TL2 Runic, (haven't had the chance to play Hob yet)

• WolvenWolven Posts: 174

I'm really sad to hear this. Runic has been my favorite game developer since I first found Torchlight. It feels like the Torchlight series and Runic is a big part of who I am. I've sunk hundreds of hours in TL2, both playing and modding the game. Such great games, (TL1/TL2/HOB) and such a great studio.

I really hope it works out for all of you guys and that we will see more of Torchlight in the future.

Thank you so much for all the fun and for being an honest and awesome game studio, who's really in touch with your community. The gaming industry will not be the same without Runic. <3

TorchModders - A community and resource hub for Torchlight Modders -

.: Collaborate on projects, share your knowledge, seek advice and improve the quality of your mods :.
  • MarikhenMarikhen Posts: 30

As much as this closure saddens people I feel that it's an ending on a good note in a fashion. Not every studio needs to last for decades and produce dozens of games. Runic did a great job with Torchlight, and while I didn't like some of the changes between it and Torchlight 2 I still felt that Torchlight 2 brought several interesting concepts to the 3PIARPG sub-genre as a whole. For that matter as little as what I've seen of Hob appeals to me it also seems to be a good game and doing well.

Over the years I've gotten the impression that some people have been waiting for a third shoe to drop as it pertains to Runic. After the closings of Blizzard North and Flagship Studios under less than auspicious circumstances and considering how many people passed through each team and into Runic Games it seemed like more than a few individuals were halfway to expecting Runic to similarly go out under less than ideal circumstances as well.

That, however, does not appear to be the case, and while I'm not a particularly religious or spiritual person I can't help but feel that Matthew 25:21, however out of context it may be, is appropriate. "His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord."

Runic Games has met and surpassed the tests we gamers put developers to, and while it might sadden us to see them close "too early" we should bear in mind that it is better for a studio to close early in triumph than for it to close too late and in tragedy.

• FrankieDrumsFrankieDrums Posts: 24

I'm a console gamer and loved Torchlight and Hob. Sorry to hear this. I wish the console digital marketplace had a way for developers to advertise, because the current "word of mouth" method is obviously failing. I almost missed Hob entirely, and I'm the target demographic, which says something. This game should have made your studio solvent.

• hermeticcharmhermeticcharm Posts: 91 ✭✭

I have been reflecting a little bit since yesterday's announcement and thinking back to 2010-2012 in particular. Your studio, games, and community inspired me and played a fairly large role in motivating me to go back to school and to get a degree in computer science. I started back in 2012 and just finished earlier this year, magna **** laude, and I now have a really good job until I figure out what I want to do in the long term (make games).

Part of that inspiration I had was the dream of coming to Runic Studios in Seattle and working for you! It really does sadden me when I think that will never happen but you have really changed my life. I was honestly in a bit of a dark place before all of this and going back to school really turned things around for me. Thank you so, so, so much. For the hard work, the games, the community, and everything. I wish you all the best of luck, maybe we will still work together some day :smile:

"And so the endless cycle of life comes to an end - meaningless and grim. Why did they live and why did they die? No reason. . ."
  • PennyT18PennyT18 Posts: 165

So sorry to hear this. Have really enjoyed playing Torchlight and TorchlightII. Was planning to get HOB for myself for Christmas. Really hope you all come up with something new and exciting in the near future. Will be watching for you. Good luck to everybody!

• Anarch16SyncAnarch16Sync Posts: 163

Man this just ****, you just release your new game, and it's awesome... and then PW just close the doors of the studio. It's also a really sad, and shocking news, I personally have a great apreacciaton and respect for the people at Runic and hope for the best to all of you.

PD: If you have (unused or not) assets laying around that you could share for modding TL2 would be really cool. ;)

• ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭

Runic'd Souls
    by Zidders Roofurry

On the cusp of ruination
    funneling tears of pain and frustration
    with forged friendships as their bond
    they stood steadfast and carried on.

Through hard work, toil and lost hours.
    By inspiration, coffee, and muses powered
    no crunch fueled chaos or despair
    could withhold what Runic'd souls would share.

In deepest night their hearts light shines.
    By Torchlight inspiring much love and rhyme.
    Tho Runic's gone its spirit dwells
    in all the tales Runic'd souls will tell.

ItfooQF.png
  • SimonSaysBakaSimonSaysBaka Posts: 648 ✭✭

Dam... Haven't been around for a while, im sorry to hear that you are closing down, I been in game development and I know that things can happen that is just out of our hands, I quit game development cause I lost too much, but I know how talented the runic crew is cause I seen their works since hellgate and Mythos, as well as the new folks so I know you guys will be ok, so dont worry. I would offer you all a job if I could but never had that kind of power.

Thank you all for the amazing work you all have done over the years.
    I really wish you guys the best.

Cheers!

I like Cake!
  • JucJuc Posts: 2

It's so sad to hear such news! Hope, gyus, you'll find some way to rebirth your studio.
    Thanks for so many happy hours with your games!

• BlodstyrkeBlodstyrke Posts: 8

That is sad news.. Your games have always been awesome to me and helped me through troubled times in my life. Being from Washington state always made me feel proud that we have good video games made here, I'll always visit the town of Torchlight and drift around on the servers to keep the Ember glowing.

Best wishes to the staff and thank you for making three beautiful games!

• BarenziahBarenziah Posts: 1

So sorry to hear this. TL1 and TL2 gave me countless hours of entertainment , and I can't thank the people at Runic enough for the talent and energy they put into their games. So many of the best studios are gone, most barely a memory. I've been gaming a long time ( I'm old :) )and watched so many of the best adventure and RPG studios simply fade away: Working Designs, Interplay, Sierra, Westwood, Blizzard North.. so many others all gone. Hopefully these guys will do their Phoenix imitation and rise from the ashes to something even better.

• RinzoRinzo Posts: 1

I am sadden to hear a good studio end like this. I actually bought 2 hobs game even though I have not played them to support the studio. Isn't there any other alternative such as finding another publisher such as Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo that can further support projects? Perhaps the city of Seattle can step in w/ a loan to help save the company. I would be happy to donate to a kick starter. Please let me know what can be done to keep the company afloat.

• D2HansD2Hans Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭

Sad to hear. Thank you for the many years of enjoyment you have brought me. I wish all of you luck and happiness over this season and none of you should have any issues with finding a job, Hopefully one as good as Runic was.

"Six... one, six... the nuuuumber ooof the beeeaaast!"