Any Tips on Gambling?

VicVicVicVicVicVic Posts: 191
edited January 2010 in TL General Discussions
Hey, how's it going?

I'm starting to gamble for the first time today (I'm level 55 or so) and am looking for any information or tips regarding gambling.

The one thing I've noticed is that items, even though they are the same item type, have different costs. For example, a pistol could cost 2,000, 2,600, or 3,200. If that's the case, should I just buy the cheapest one, or does that matter?

Thanks,
ViC

Comments

• ColifColif Posts: 554
    Not sure about price, what I have noticed is the items that have only 2 or 1 lines of stats generally are greens, whereas the ones with 3 or 4 stats are blues or better. I have no proof except that is what happens with me. Barter reduces the prices anyway.
  • MarineMarine Posts: 18
    Gold/Purple items are more expensive than green/blue ones, if they are the same type, in my experience.

I think all unique gold/purple armors requires at least three stats. Some weapons might only requires two, the rest still requires three. For example, a unique chest armor for destroyer normally requires lv, str and def. A unique weapon for destroyer normally requires lv, str, and maybe dex/mag.

Also, unique items always have at least one socket. You can put a socket item in your pet's bag to check. If the socket on it shows up, it means you are pointing to a socket item.

With these two tips, 90% of items I get are unique.
  • Thanks for the replies and information!
    Marine wrote:
    Also, unique items always have at least one socket. You can put a socket item in your pet's bag to check. If the socket on it shows up, it means you are pointing to a socket item.
    Can you clarify this, please? I read that several times and am confused about putting a socket item in my pet's bag to check. Thanks.
  • MarineMarine Posts: 18
    1. Put a socket item, like a socket ring, in your pet's bag.
    2. Move your mouse on an item. If the item has a socket, the socket on the ring will show up.

In the pic the socket on the ring shows up. It's because the sword I'm pointing to has a socket.
    2n9kggw.jpg

You can see the sowrd requires lv, str and mag, and it has a socket. It should be a unique sword. So here it is.
    281vs0m.jpg
  • chebuoichebuoi Posts: 121
    Nice tip thanks
  • QuestionQuestion Posts: 320
    In my experience the most expensive item does NOT guarantee a unique or set....

Except for the 11k epic midas chains. Thats pretty obvious.
  • Marine, thank you for the very helpful tip and taking the time to explain it so clearly, and with screenshots!
  • pmwlpmwl Posts: 1
    Marine wrote:
    1. Put a socket item, like a socket ring, in your pet's bag.
    2. Move your mouse on an item. If the item has a socket, the socket on the ring will show up.

In the pic the socket on the ring shows up. It's because the sword I'm pointing to has a socket.
    2n9kggw.jpg

You can see the sowrd requires lv, str and mag, and it has a socket. It should be a unique sword. So here it is.
    281vs0m.jpg
    nice idea, i will take your advice and have a try
  • Any thoughts or tips on gambling for rings and amulets? Thanks.
  • VZEVZE Posts: 78
    nice work there Marine

thanks
  • Now that's beating the system....
    I used the socket trick and got an Epic Sword of the War Gods (1150dps) and a new chest piece. Takes some of the guessing out. Good find :)
  • My best advice is to gamble as soon as you can afford it... its without a doubt the easiest way to get uniques and set items.
  • I'm trying to get a good shield for my girlfriend's Vanquisher, but barely ever see shields in the gambling store.

Any suggestions on how I can go about getting a nice shield? Thanks.
    Its luck.
  • bmnbmn Posts: 92
    I don't know what you all are talking about with this "put items in your pet's bag" stuff. I tried doing this. It resulted in me buying the item.

Looks like your bug has already been fixed.
  • bmn wrote:
    I don't know what you all are talking about with this "put items in your pet's bag" stuff. I tried doing this. It resulted in me buying the item.

Looks like your bug has already been fixed.
    You're supposed to put an item that has a socket that you already have (not one from the shop) into your pet's bag. After doing so, when you hover your cursor over an item of high value in the store, the item in your pet's bag will show a socket.
  • RensjeRensje Posts: 28
    And sometimes the game makes it a little too easy to figure out if an item is special at all..

oopsk.png
    &$@*!&# elemental doused mah Torchlight!
  • VostofVostof Posts: 48
    Thanks for the info!
  • Great tip posted above. Thank you for the screen shots and detailed explanation. I am eager to test this for myself tonight.
  • [OT]
    Marine wrote:
    2n9kggw.jpg
    281vs0m.jpg
    Sweeeet fonts you have in these screenshots, a LOT more readable than the "regular" fonts!!
    is it a mod you made? is it downloadable from the mod sub-forum?
    [/OT]
    "I WILL EAT YOUR UNHAPPINESS!"
    Caboose, Red VS Blue
  • This tip does not seem to work after installed the TorchED for editing. I can not get the Unique Item anymore, just the Rare ones. Can someone confirm this?
    dyuloose wrote:
    This tip does not seem to work after installed the TorchED for editing. I can not get the Unique Item anymore, just the Rare ones. Can someone confirm this?

Its just luck. There are obviously rares with sockets too.
  • caboose wrote:
    [OT]
    Sweeeet fonts you have in these screenshots, a LOT more readable than the "regular" fonts!!
    is it a mod you made? is it downloadable from the mod sub-forum?
    [/OT]

That's the Diablo Fonts mod, I believe, you can probably find it in the mods section or together with the D2 conversion kit mod.

And thanks Marine for an awesome tip!
    Since learning the socket trick, I combo it with grabbing gear with at least 3 requirements, as I have found gear with less than 2 is always green, whereas the ones with 3 or more are normally blue/uniques. Have never found a green using this technique with more than 2 requirements.
  • VostofVostof Posts: 48
    Colif wrote:
    Since learning the socket trick, I combo it with grabbing gear with at least 3 requirements, as I have found gear with less than 2 is always green, whereas the ones with 3 or more are normally blue/uniques. Have never found a green using this technique with more than 2 requirements.

This is what I've been doing also and it's been working well.
  • VZEVZE Posts: 78
    ive noticed that the rares are 70% of the time cheaper to buy..

scroll over 2 sets of gloves that sockets show up

the cheaper one is usually the unique

ive spent hundreds of thousands on the gambler....

yeah im stickin buy my 70% theroy

*burp*
  • chunyuchunyu Posts: 1
    Marine's tip is very helpful.

Also, try the official Torchlight database at the website below:

torchlightdb.com

It contains all the details of every single item (including what the icon looks like in the Gambler's interface). Hope that helps.