Warmages combine their combat training with the knowledge of ember to succeed in battle.
[Current version: 1.2, Updated on February 23th 2011.]
Here is my attempt to add a new enjoiable, different (and balanced) class to the game. It is meant as a melee/caster class but can be turned into an efficient short-range/caster with the right skills and equipment.
(Uses the Alchemist Model and the Runed Alchemist Skin)Features:
- All skills based on "weapon damage" are based on the actual damage of attacks, not on the damage listed on the weapon.
- Some skills get a special bonus at max rank
to further improve their effectiveness
- Counter Skills. Skills labeled as "Counter skill" in their description won't work unless an enemy has hit the player in the last 2 seconds
- Ranged Weapon PENALITY
: +100 to requirements of ranged weapons.
- All Active skills (including buffs) now require a melee weapon
equipped in your right hand to be cast.
- The mana pool
starts and stays always at 500 (does not increase with level).
- Negative mana regen
: To gain mana you have to use various techniques (advanced spellcasting also decreases this penality so your mana pool can last longer).
- Buffs do not require mana to be cast and last 1 hour, but each buff has a max mana penality
- Potion effectiveness
is reduced to 0, use them to heal your pet.
- All warmages start with a small passive life steal bonus (5) to help healing in the first few levels.
Mana is used as a sort of "rage" meter similar to the World of warcraft warrior class. However Buffs will reduce it's maximum value, reducing the player possibility to use skills multiple times. This should be a good way to keep the "mana management" feature of this class even with the new changes. DOWNLOAD (v.1.2)DOWNLOAD (v.1.2): alternative mirrorKNOWN BUGS:
- The Character selection screen shows stuff it should not show when selecting the warmage class (it shows particles of some of the skills)
SPECIAL THANKS TO: v.1.2
- Improved compatibility with Jarcho's Class compilation: in that mod the Lightning Shield skill is unusable because it is replaced with the Shaman's lightning shield skill (same name :/). This has been fixed
- Potion effectiveness penality is now -200% instead of -100% (no big change though)
- Meditation doesn't dispel Ember garment any more
- Mage Rage, Mana Shield and Ember Garment are now toggleable and don't need to be recasted every 10 minutes any more
- Mana Shield: Increased Health Bonus, Lowered Level requirements
- Static Field: new Max Rank Bonus - 5% Chance to Shock Target for 6 Seconds
- Bonechill: Removed Cooldown
- Phoenix Wings: Added Chance to Burn Targetv.1.1
- Fixed the Freeze Bug
- Lightning Shield: Increased chance to cast lightning bolts when struck, added Percent based Defense bonus (23-50%)
- Corrode Weapons: Cooldown reduced to 15s
- Ember Garment: Reduced Damage reflection to 10-37%, max rank is now 10
- Static Field: reduced range and damage
- Meditation: added armor debuff during healing to prevent exploiting the skill to tank enemies.v.1.0
- All Active skills (including buffs) now require a melee weapon equipped in your right hand to be cast
- Whirlwind shield: added 60% weapon damage
- Lightning Shield: greatly increased damage reduction
- Renamed "Adventurer" to "Explorer" to avoid confusion when you find items with the "+1 to adventurer skill" affix. This skill is a different one so they don't affect it.--- TEST VERSIONS ---v.0.94 pre-release
- Attempt to fix the freeze bug (EDIT:does not work)
- Bonechill: reduced number of ricochets, increased missile speed, increased mana cost at higher ranks, added 1 second cooldown.
- Ember Stream: major balance work, fixed a few bugs. Missiles don't pierce and are not homing anymore.
- Phoenix Wings: reduced damagev.0.93 pre-release
- Probably solved the freeze bug (!!!): It seems to work but only on new characters. (EDIT:does not work)
- windgust: increased cooldown and reduced stun duration at higher ranks (sorry guys, it was still too strong
- Removed a bug that let you use an insanely imba skill v.0.92 pre-release
- Phoenix: improved healing effect, corrected mana cost at higher level
- Aventurer: Each rank now grants 2% health leech, i thought it increased your current health leech by a percentage, but actually it steals life based on the damage you deal, so 2% per rank should be good
- Meditation: improved healing effect
- Wind Gust: changed animationv.0.91 pre-release
- Windgust: reduced chance to stun, cooldown is now 1,7 seconds
- Lightning Shield: Now the "on hit" proc works fine; other minor changes
- Phoenix Wings: changed animationv.0.9 pre-release
- first release
- Lothario for it's major support and its useful advices;
- Lothario and Archanoth for allowing me to use part of their work to create some of the skills;
- Andariel, jadewah and JoeShmo for testing and giving feedback on game balance;
- Jezter for it's "Runed Alchemist" Skin;
- BrotherLaz (creator of the MedianXL Diablo 2 mod) for its posts about game design on the phrozen keep forums that taught me a lot;
- Runic Games for this amazing Game&Editor.SKILLS AND DESCRIPTIONSChanges to Passive skills
New Active Skills
- Removed Ranged Weapon Mastery for obvious reasons
- Removed Magic Weapon Mastery: I did this to nerf wands, since their ranged AoE attacks causes easy mana/life leech and easier spell spamming; you can still equip wands and staves if you want but their damage will be lower (but you can spend those points elsewhere so i guess it's still balanced).
-Adventurer: renamed to "Explorer", removed the potion effectiveness bonus; added a passive percent based life leech (+2% per rank).
Icon (max ranks) SKILL NAMEDISCIPLINE SKILLSLevel 1 (5)MAGE RAGE:
Buff. Increase attack speed and use weapon attacks to gain mana needed for magic techniques.
- 50-90 mana leech
- -50 to maximum mana
- 10-30% increased attack speed (1)MEDITATION:
Free healing skill to balance the -100% potion effectiveness. It's meant to be used only out of combat.
- Scales with Defense stat
- Increases damage taken during healing
- -1000% running/attack/cast speed during healing
- Cooldown: 5 seconds
Note: it is similar to the "healing mantra" skill from Lothario's Kensai class (that by the way is great).Level 5 (10)RETALIATE:
Cunter Skill: a nova strikes enemies.
- Weapon Damage: 100%
- Carries Life and Mana Leech
- Range: 2,5-10 meters
- Cooldown: 5 seconds
- Max Rank Bonus: 40 KnockbackLevel 10 (5)MANA SHIELD:
Buff. Draw from your magical strenght to defend yourself.
- rank 1: +100 max life, -50 max mana, reduces all physical and elemental damage taken by 3%
- rank 2: +500 max life, -100 max mana, reduces all physical and elemental damage taken by 6%
- rank 3: +1000 max life, -150 max mana, reduces all physical and elemental damage taken by 10%
- rank 4: +1700 max life, -200 max mana, reduces all physical and elemental damage taken by 15%
- rank 5: +2500 max life, -250 max mana, reduces all physical and elemental damage taken by 25%
- Notes: This skill should be the main way to decide how much "defensive" or "offensive" your character is. Level 15 (6)MANA HARVEST:
Corpse Skill. Consuming a corpse grants additional mana regen.
- +5-15 mana regeneration for 10 seconds
- Cooldown: 10 seconds
- MAX RANK BONUS: doubled durationLevel 20 (10)EMBER PHASE:
Phase to a new location
- distance increases with level.
- 50% stun for 2 seconds
- 30 Knock Back
- Cooldown: 5-1 secondsLevel 25 (10)ELEMENTAL CHAOS:
Instantly Gain mana and raise your critical hit chance for 10 seconds.
- Cooldown: 30 seconds
- Duration 10 seconds
- Mana gain: 1000 over 5 seconds
- Critical hit bonus: +5-15% chance to score a critical
- MAX RANK BONUS: Cooldown lowered to 20 secondsDESTRUCTION SKILLSLevel 1 (10)BONE CHILL:
Create one or more ice shards in front of the caster to damage and freeze enemies.
- Mana Cost: 50
- Increasing number of shards at higher ranks (max 3)
- Damage: 70-100% weapon damage (for each shard) (cold damage conversion)
- Freeze: 50-70% chance to freeze for 3-7 seconds (for each shard)
- MAX RANK BOUNS: 100% movement speed reduction for 1 second
- Notes: The shards travel randomly in front of the caster and the skill works better in corridors and tight places because the trails bounce off walls (Doomquake-like) many times. Great crowd control skill with less damage potential than firestrike.Level 5 (10)FIRESTRIKE:
Counter Skill. Create a powerful explosion right in front of the caster.
- Mana Cost: 50
- Cooldown: 2 seconds
- Damage: 100-180% weapon damage (fire damage conversion)
- AoE (of the explosion): 3,5-8m
- MAX RANK BONUS: Double Explosion: the explosion triggers twice doubling the effect of the spell. Mana cost is raised to 75.
Notes: It's actually a modified explosive shot. It's a very straightforward skill and a solid choice for dealing damage.Level 10 (10)STATIC FIELD:
Electrify the ground to strike enemies around you.
- Duration: 5-30 seconds
- Can be cast multiple times
- Hits once every 2,5 seconds
- Damage:40% weapon damage
- Electric Damage
- Range: 4 meters
- Mana Cost: 100
- Cooldown: 3 seconds
- MAX RANK BONUS: 5% Chance to Shock TargetLevel 15 (10)PHOENIX WINGS:
Phoenix Wings cause heavy fire damage to enemies. For each enemy killed by this skill the caster recovers some health.
- Mana Cost: 150
- Cooldown: 7 seconds
- Weapon Damage: 150-240%
- 7-70% Chance to Burn Target fo 7 seconds
- Healing effect scales with skill level and defense statLevel 20 (10)EMBER STREAM:
Channeled Skill. Release a stream of enchanted ember fragments which slowly seek out and pierce enemies.
- Mana Cost OT: 7-25 per second
- 3-12 fragments
- Weapon damage: 6% (for each fragment)
- 1% chance to cause target to flee for 1 secondLevel 25 (10)EMBERGEDDON:need suggestion on this one, post yours! ALTERATION SKILLSLevel 1 (6)WIND GUST:
Use the power of wind to charge toward enemies and stun them. Enemies hit get covered in a protective wind for a few seconds
- Mana Cost: 25
- Cooldown: 1 second
- 65-90% chance to stun for 4-7 seconds
- 15 KnockBack
- Physical and Elemental damage (taken) reduced by 50-25% for 5 secondsLevel 5 (10)LIGHTNING SHIELD:
Channeled Skill. Requires a shield. Electricity flows through your shield reducing damage taken, reflecting missiles and damaging enemies that hit you
active shield skill
+5-15% chance to block
10-100% Chance to cast a lightning bolt when you get hit (piercing missile carrying 200% weapon damage)
30-100% chance to reflect 80% missile damage
reduce all phisical and elemental damage taken 50%
MAX RANK BONUS: 500% chance to reflect 100% missile damage (should allow to reflect missiles 5 times as much)Level 10 (5)WHIRLWIND SHIELD:
Counter Skill. Requires a Shield. Channel a powerful wind blast to hurl enemies away from you
- Mana Cost: 25
- Cooldown: 7 seconds
- 40-80 knockback
- 50-90% chance to stun for 6 seconds
- 20-50% reduced movement speed for 6 seconds
- MAX RANK BONUS: Cooldown reduced to 2 secondsLevel 15 (10)CORRODE WEAPONS:
Corrosive waves shatter enemies' weapons reducing their phisical damage
- 13-40% reduced damage
- Cooldown: 20 seconds
- Duration increases with skill levelLevel 20 (10)EMBER GARMENT:
Buff. Ember covers your body to reflect damage taken back to attackers
- -100 to max mana
- Magic Damage
- 10-37% reflected damage
- MAX RANK BONUS: Halved Mana PenalityLevel 25 (10)SKULL BREAKER:
Counter Skill. Shatter enemies' armor to increase the damage they take.
- -20-45% physical and elemental armor
- 30 Knockback
- Max Rank Bonus: Carries 75% weapon damage