HotSpot Beta starts... NOW!

Want to share your mod with the world? Feel free!

HotSpot Beta starts... NOW!

Postby ugmojoe » Thu May 12, 2011 5:43 am

The day many of you have been waiting for is finally here! HotSpot, our community-built replacement for Torchleech is finally in the open beta stage! In case you haven't been following the site news, let me explain.

Torchleech, while a wonderful application that has gained a huge amount of popularity in the community for its ability to automatically install mods and detect conflicts, has been a bit lacking in updates for a variety of reasons, one of the main being that it requires manual updates to any and all mods within its system. At the beginning of this year community member ugmojoe approached me hoping to create a new, open-sourced mod manager that could be updated automatically. This being one of my original hopes for hosting Torchleech, I immediately drafted him into the staff and handcuffed him to a computer.

One day, this is where you will choose which game you want to manage mods for.

Several real months later, ugmojoe, with some help from Dusho and Arkam, and myself of course, have created HotSpot. HotSpot is fully integrated into RGF's mod database, and is automatically updated once an hour for any new mods uploaded to the site. But that's not all, let me give you a list of current and planned features for the program:

Current Features
  • A one-time install with auto-updating software, meaning you'll never need to keep track of HotSpot's version number and update it.
  • Directly integrated in RGF's Mods Database, and automatically updated every hour for new files or updates to current files.
  • A preview pane that features an extremely cut down version of the site, displaying Mod Descriptions and previews exactly as the author posts them.
  • ugmojoe's classic Class Creator and Item Fixer tools already installed.
  • A Splash screen which provides you links to the latest Torchlight and Runic Games-related news
  • The ability to search for mods via a searchbox (for Name and Author), by categories, and/or by Name, Download Count, and Rating.
  • Conflict checking, to know if your mods are going to break each other.
  • Every mod that was in Torchleech (even some that no longer existed anywhere else) are also now included within RGF's database to make sure you can always find your favorite mods!
  • During mod installation HotSpot cleans out the .adm files for you, to prevent problems between Mac and PC based mods.

As great as these features are, they are nothing compared to the planned (possible) features for future updates, including...

• Support for Torchlight 1 AND Torchlight 2 mods, selectable via the Splash Screen.
  • Advanced Conflict Checking, including pre-installation file conflicts, Unit name conflicts, and Menu conflicts
  • The ability to use HotSpot to package mods of your own creation to be easily compatible and optimized to add to our mod database.
  • A number of useful modding tools, including a Class and Pet combination tool (No more class conflicts again!)
  • Warnings for when you are hitting the limits of Torchlight's mod loading capabilities
  • Mod Profiles for easy storage and separation of mods between characters.
  • Account Integrated features, using your RGF Username and Password to access new parts of the program.

You can download the HotSpot installer from this link to our mods database, although we will be creating a custom homepage for it in the future as well. Keep in mind that it IS in beta form right now, which means it is very likely that you will encounter problems that we haven't yet. If you do find problems, or have suggestions or other feedback, you can post them within the various new HotSpot Forums.

Yes, these are the same images I used before. Teehee!

Side Note: Because supporting three file formats would make development harder, and because it was such a problem for our Mac users, we're no longer allowing new .7z files to be added to the database. .zip and .rar will always be available, and you will eventually be able to create them within HotSpot as well.

No more waiting for updates again! Download HotSpot today!
Cheers,

Dan (ugmojoe)

web: daniel.walsh-au.com
ugmojoe

Re: HotSpot Beta starts... NOW!

Postby Webbstre » Thu May 12, 2011 5:49 am

Just so people don't wonder how ugmojoe enslaved himself, that was a copy of my news post from RGF :P
Administrator of The Original Runic Games Fansite - News - Forums - Torchlight 1 Mods - Torchlight 2 Mods - Wiki - IRC Chat - HotSpot - and more!
Webbstre

Postby ugmojoe » Thu May 12, 2011 5:56 am

Good catch. I'm waaaaay too tired to realise that.
Cheers,

Dan (ugmojoe)

ugmojoe

Postby Zidders » Thu May 12, 2011 6:34 am

Wow guys...fantastic work! This is definately welcome.

EDIT:Ok, first bug. When checking for conflicting mods, the conflict summary window cannot be closed. It doesn't have an 'x' in the upper right corner, and cannot be closed by right click/closing via the bottom tab. I had to close it out via the task manager.
Zidders

How to I join the Beta

Postby OutlawStar » Thu May 12, 2011 11:02 am

How to I Beta test Torchlight 2? I've beaten Torchlight 1 many times and still play it for 6 plus hours per day almost everyday.
OutlawStar

Postby Zidders » Thu May 12, 2011 11:19 am

Currently, there's no info on when or if there's going to be a Torchlight II beta. This beta is just for the mod manager that is replacing Torchleech. If/when any TL II beta info comes out, the Runic Games Fansite and these forums will be the first to know about it.
Zidders

Postby ugmojoe » Thu May 12, 2011 1:41 pm

Zidders wrote:Ok, first bug. When checking for conflicting mods, the conflict summary window cannot be closed. It doesn't have an 'x' in the upper right corner, and cannot be closed by right click/closing via the bottom tab. I had to close it out via the task manager.

Thanks for the feedback Zidders, much appreciated. I thought this might come up pretty quickly. Any chance you could please log it as a new bug here?

Thanks mate
Cheers,

Dan (ugmojoe)

ugmojoe

Postby ugmojoe » Sat May 14, 2011 2:38 pm

Version 0.6.1.1 is now live. Just open up HotSpot for it to update automatically.

If you haven't downloaded it yet, click here to download HotSpot.

Change log - v 0.6.1.1
Added:
User logon - Log in with your RGF user account to get access to more features.
Mod ratings - After logging in, Right-click on a mod to rate it.
New column (Filetype) - Shows the mod file compression type.
Logon status - Displayed in the bottom status bar, lets you know if you're logged in already.
Cheers,

Dan (ugmojoe)

ugmojoe

Postby Zidders » Sat May 14, 2011 4:35 pm

I went to start hotspot (the last version) to do an auto update, and as soon as I clicked the shortcut, my computer BSOD's. Kinda afraid to download the new version lol.
Zidders

Postby ugmojoe » Sat May 14, 2011 5:05 pm

Wow, after all the test builds, environments and revisions, I haven't seen that happen. Ever.

Have you looked into other possible causes? Memory issues? Overheating? Did you catch the message on the BSOD screen?
Cheers,

Dan (ugmojoe)

ugmojoe

Postby Webbstre » Sat May 14, 2011 5:22 pm

Yeah, you'd have to do it twice in a row to make sure it's the cause, otherwise we can't know what the cause is.

BSOD seems a bit extreme for a small program like this though :P
Administrator of The Original Runic Games Fansite - News - Forums - Torchlight 1 Mods - Torchlight 2 Mods - Wiki - IRC Chat - HotSpot - and more!
Webbstre

Postby StonerMk2 » Sun May 15, 2011 12:31 pm

Love HotSpot...great update to Torchleech...hate looking at the mod manager and it telling me all my torchleech installed mods are now unsupported and have to redownload and install them
StonerMk2

Postby ugmojoe » Sun May 15, 2011 2:37 pm

StonerMk2 wrote:Love HotSpot...great update to Torchleech...hate looking at the mod manager and it telling me all my torchleech installed mods are now unsupported and have to redownload and install them

Torchleech has the same behaviour: if the mod wasn't downloaded with Torchleech it marks it an angry red and advises that you have to delete it and download it via Torchleech.

How many mods would you have to re-install?
Cheers,

Dan (ugmojoe)

ugmojoe

Postby StonerMk2 » Sun May 15, 2011 4:49 pm

ugmojoe wrote:
StonerMk2 wrote:Love HotSpot...great update to Torchleech...hate looking at the mod manager and it telling me all my torchleech installed mods are now unsupported and have to redownload and install them

Torchleech has the same behaviour: if the mod wasn't downloaded with Torchleech it marks it an angry red and advises that you have to delete it and download it via Torchleech.

Lol....52 :lol:
StonerMk2

Postby bradster91 » Sun May 15, 2011 9:32 pm

StonerMk2 wrote:
ugmojoe wrote:

Lol....52 :lol:

What the hell you have 52 mods installed, doesn't that make your game run like crap?
bradster91

Postby StonerMk2 » Mon May 16, 2011 8:26 am

Uh...no. Why the hell would it run like crap? It might take a minute or so to actually start up, but otherwise it runs perfectly fine. If i knew TorchED better, i would have a lot more. I had a ton of personal mods for Dungeon Siege when i was into modding that game, and would likely have a lot of personal mods for this one too if i had the patience to learn TorchED.
StonerMk2

Postby bradster91 » Mon May 16, 2011 1:50 pm

Um I am confused and cannot seem to locate the download link anymore since RGF changed their site around.
bradster91

Postby bradster91 » Mon May 16, 2011 1:52 pm

StonerMk2 wrote:Uh...no. Why the hell would it run like crap? It might take a minute or so to actually start up, but otherwise it runs perfectly fine. If i knew TorchED better, i would have a lot more. I had a ton of personal mods for Dungeon Siege when i was into modding that game, and would likely have a lot of personal mods for this one too if i had the patience to learn TorchED.

Sorry I did not mean to offend you I was just curious as to if it slow the game down any. My bad.
bradster91

Postby ugmojoe » Mon May 16, 2011 2:11 pm

bradster91 wrote:Um I am confused and cannot seem to locate the download link anymore since RGF changed their site around.

Any of the umpteen HotSpot links in the first post will take you to the download ;).
Cheers,

Dan (ugmojoe)

ugmojoe

Postby bradster91 » Mon May 16, 2011 2:14 pm

ugmojoe wrote:
bradster91 wrote:Um I am confused and cannot seem to locate the download link anymore since RGF changed their site around.

Any of the umpteen HotSpot links in the first post will take you to the download ;).

Um do not laugh but when I got to the download page I can't find the download sorry!
bradster91

Next

Return to Mod Showcase