[Class]x2 Airbender + Spirit Dancer v2.0

Want to share your mod with the world? Feel free!

[Class]x2 Airbender + Spirit Dancer v2.0

Postby MattNguyen » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:36 pm

This mod adds 2 new classes to Torchlight. The Spirit Dancer blends dancing, spirits, and elements of nature, while the Airbender focuses on Telekinesis and the 'Force'. Enjoy.

Download at: via my public windows live
http://cid-be5de83955b29993.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/AirbenderSpiritdancer-v2-0.zip

Download via runicgamesfansite
http://www.runicgamesfansite.com/torchlightmods/node/306

Be sure to read the readme if you need help installing the mod.
Also be sure to have the latest patched version of torchlight( It'll still work if you don't, but might crash on first load for some people with old versions)

Videos of the Spirit Dancer in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqctcRWLt0s

Videos of the Airbender in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA4dav-aPwE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfS649Z6rJg

Mod conflicts: Conflicts with any mod that adds a class to the character select screen.
However, I have made it simpler to coexist, by putting all conflicting files into the AirbenderSpiritDancerShared folder. Simply remove that folder if you want to experiment with other class mods.

Airbender:
Spoiler: show
The Airbender manipulates ember dormant in the air, creating force fields to attack, deflect, and defend.

Skills:

Deflection
Energy Shield: Creates an energy barrier that unleashes an electrical beam when hit
Reflection Shield: A protective force field that reflects missiles
Air Ricochet: Launches an energy bolt that can bounce off of air
Air Ripple: Ruptures the air around foes knocking them back
Deflector Shield: Creates a protective barrier that knocks back enemies when struck

Absorption
Vacuum: Pulls enemies towards you draining their life
Vortex: A protective air barrier that absorbs mana
Implosion: A powerful blast that sucks all enemies into you
Speed Suction: Drains the speed of your enemies and transfers it to you
Absorb Power: Drains the strength of your enemies and transfers it to you

Concussion
Triple Force: Launches 3 Force orbs at enemies
Force Wave: Projects a force barrier forward knocking all that get in the way
Graviton Shift: Manipulates the gravity around foes to slow and stun them
Shatter: Unleashes a burst of energy in four directions
Force Barrage: Unleashes rapid-fire bolts of energy toward foes

Here are some screenshots:
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Version History:
Spoiler: show
v2.0
Added the Spirit Dancer Class
v1.09
Again, removed the unittheme files that are unnecessary. If you downloaded 1.08, there's no functional change, just the removed files for compatibility.
v1.08
Fixed Force Barrage, Graviton Shift, and Air ripple to require Line of sight to cast
Fixed Graviton shift, Air ripple, and Implosion correctly showing their stat modifiers
Changed functionality of graviton shift to do damage over time that doesn't stack with other graviton shifts
Lowered stat modifier of Graviton shift to 50 magic attribute
Lowered Cast speed steal from speed suction by half
Reflection Shield gains a duration of .5 seconds per skillpoint
Removed extraneous item files that might conflict with other mods, Sorry, I couldn't remove the base helm file
v1.07
Removed extraneous unittheme files that would potentially conflict with other class mods.
v1.06
Rescaled the size of the air ripple graphic to better match its damage radius
v1.05
Fixed correct voice files
Fixed correct display of equipped items
Slightly modified the visual of triple force orbs
Last edited by MattNguyen on Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:41 pm, edited 12 times in total.
MattNguyen

Re: [Class] Airbender v1.0 - Fully playable now

Postby Bigbangnick » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:20 am

Very nice! :mrgreen:
Bigbangnick

Postby MetaSieg » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:26 am

Looks good. I hope you create more.
If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?
-Albert Einstein
MetaSieg

Postby asukhama » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:29 am

how do i install this?
just unzip Airbender map to my mods folder?

....\mods\Airbender\media (& other files)?
asukhama

Postby VandalD » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:35 am

Wow. I love the skills. Nice ideas and particles. Definitely going to put time into playing this class.

Yes, asukhama, that's how you install this.
VandalD

Postby TomaLexi » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:40 am

Hey. Added this mod to the Ultimate Modlist Thread Website. Let me know if you want the description to be changed by telling me in the Ultimate Modlist Thread or via PM (:

[NEW CLASS] Airbender v1.0 - Fully playable now
The Airbender manipulates ember dormant in the air, creating force fields to attack, deflect, and defend.
http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=8650
Looking for mods? Complete mod-list: http://sites.google.com/site/ultimatemodlistwiki/
TomaLexi

Postby ombra » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:00 am

The pictures look very nice, i am going to download it after work!
Former Forum Nicks
Hellgate London: Pumpkinnose
Mythos: Sanguefreddo
ombra

Postby brennok » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:18 am

Cool I will give the class a try tonight.
brennok

Postby sterlinghurd » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:05 am

Very nice particles. I'm going to give this a try as soon as I can.
sterlinghurd

Postby DresdenDoll » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:37 am

Add this to the list of classes I would play if it had it's own model.
In the wake, our existence. In our parades... and in our dances.
With great spirits proclaiming that capitalism is indeed organized crime - and we're all the victims.

DresdenDoll

Postby Lathlas » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:19 am

Awesome, but as soon as I saw this I thought it mught be cool to make him an "Element Bender" instead. Giving him Air, Fire & Water tabs (poor Earth, nobody likes you).

Also, I immediately began working on an Aang skin for this guy... I'm such a dork.

Edit: I hate sounding like one of those people who say s "I love this, but you should totally redo it my way!" sorry about that. :oops:
And on the sixth day God said, "They're not bugs, they're features. Let's ship!"

[MODS]
Merchant Pack
Potion Expansion
More Gem Types
Scroll Cast
Prism Equipment
Lathlas

Postby sterlinghurd » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:42 am

DresdenDoll wrote:Add this to the list of classes I would play if it had it's own model.

It might be a little while before you start playing any new classes then. Do you realize how much time and effort it takes to put a custom model for a class into the game? You can't just whip something up in 3dsmax. You have to create the base model then texture it. After that you need to add a ton of animations. Then you need to make all the custom armor models with textures and correctly bind them to the character. That is a lot of work for a little cosmetics. I know there are some people working on that right now but, as far as I know, no one has yet to completed so much as a new armor set, let alone an animated character. So cut us a little slack for using existing material.
sterlinghurd

Postby DresdenDoll » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:51 am

sterlinghurd wrote:
DresdenDoll wrote:Add this to the list of classes I would play if it had it's own model.

It might be a little while before you start playing any new classes then. Do you realize how much time and effort it takes to put a custom model for a class into the game? You can't just whip something up in 3dsmax. You have to create the base model then texture it. After that you need to add a ton of animations. Then you need to make all the custom armor models with textures and correctly bind them to the character. That is a lot of work for a little cosmetics. I know there are some people working on that right now but, as far as I know, no one has yet to completed so much as a new armor set, let alone an animated character. So cut us a little slack for using existing material.

I know.
I've been waiting for someone to use Syl or Brink's models.
But yes... I understand it takes time. Even a little effort to reskin, like what was done with the necromancer class, would suffice.
With great spirits proclaiming that capitalism is indeed organized crime - and we're all the victims.

DresdenDoll

Postby sterlinghurd » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:54 am

Syl and Brink still need new armor packs.
sterlinghurd

Postby DresdenDoll » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:07 am

I'd be fine playing them without visible armor changes. For the time being, anyway. :)

DresdenDoll

Postby Coney » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:29 am

LOOOOVE this! Awesome skills! One suggestion about the balls though... Make them start out as one, and then work up to five as the skill levels up... Makes it more fun to put points in it:) And maybe make it cast a bit faster if that is possible... as of now it is rather dangerous to use:/

Also... Something wierd happened at the loginscreen:
I want more mods... And less whining... Get a grip people...
Coney

Postby Redattack34 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:30 am

DresdenDoll wrote:I'd be fine playing them without visible armor changes. For the time being, anyway. :)

Would you be fine playing them without moving? Brink and Syl don't have the animations needed to be a player character either.
Redattack34

Postby brennok » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:20 am

DresdenDoll wrote:
sterlinghurd wrote:

I know.
I've been waiting for someone to use Syl or Brink's models.
But yes... I understand it takes time. Even a little effort to reskin, like what was done with the necromancer class, would suffice.

Then why don't you upload some custom skins? Just because you can mod the skills doesn't mean you have the talent to skin also and I am sure if there were some better skins out there you would see people use them.

Personally for me I would much rather have new skills, modified skills, balancing, etc before someone puts time into changing the appearance of a model that is going to be covered in arnor.
brennok

Postby MattNguyen » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:02 pm

Thank you for all your comments!

@dresdondoll: I do hope you try it out, I did try to make the particle effects unique so it should feel like you're playing a new class.

@Lathlas: No worries, I'm glad my ideas got you excited and got you thinking. While I don't plan to redesign the class to be focused on the different elements, I hope it inspires you or somebody else to try to make those skills/classes.

@TomaLexi: Thanks!

@ brennok + Redattack34 + sterlinghurd: Thanks for defending my choice of releasing without a new model.

And to everyone else, thanks for trying it out!

Currently, I have no plans to reskin, or remodel the Airbender, as I don't have the skillset necessary. If someone likes the class, and has a good idea of what it should look like and wants to remodel and animate, please give me a pm.

Also there are some bugs, that I'm still trying to nail down. But they're not gamebreaking. If anyone has encountered the same bugs, and figured out how to fix it, I'd appreciate it.
1) My skill Vortex doesn't animate the swirls after channeling for 10-12 seconds. This only happens to me in-game. And works perfectly in the editor (making it even more difficult to debug). I've tried reworking how the particle effect is played numerous ways (put it in different triggers, part of the unittheme, etc, but none of that fixed it)
2) The skills Graviton Shift, Implosion, and Air Ripple currently don't scale with stats. The one thing all those skills have in common, is that they are all skills that trigger another skill, and the damage affix is embedded into that 2ndary skill.
3) A channeled spell might prematurely end an existing Graviton Shift or Air Ripple. I've never been able to reproduce this, but happens to one of my friends. If you encounter this bug, please pm me, thanks.

Thanks again for everyone who's tried it out. I'll see if i can write up some tutorials to help anyone out trying to make new skills.
MattNguyen

Postby thisbarb » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:09 pm

Redattack34 wrote:
DresdenDoll wrote:I'd be fine playing them without visible armor changes. For the time being, anyway. :)

Would you be fine playing them without moving? Brink and Syl don't have the animations needed to be a player character either.

If they are rigged the same as the players, you can just use the bip files that come with TorchED. Might run into a few minor issues but nothing major, I presume.
thisbarb

Next

Return to Mod Showcase