Sound Issues

Community support forum for the Torchlight single-player game.

Sound Issues

Postby Nitex » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:46 pm

I'm not sure if this is just happening to me, or if it's just how the game is. What happens is the sound effects seem to have a very short range. Lets say I'm standing near the entrance to the level and my pet ran off and start fighting just a bit in front of me. While I'm standing at the door I hear no sound effects coming from the fight between my pet and the mob. But, when I walk right next to the fight I start to hear the sound effects of the battle. Does the sound work like this for anyone else? Or is something screwing up on my end? I have a Creative X-Fi Titanium with a 5.1 speaker setup, and I have the newest drivers.
Nitex

Re: Sound Issues

Postby Basics » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:02 pm

I believe I have the same issue (I haven't really noticed it was distance related), with sometimes stuttery sound and quite often sound effects disappearing, even when going into melee with the Destroyer =/. If anyone's got a clue, I'd be happy to hear it!
Basics

Postby loseless » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:42 pm

i got a similar problem, when i use a portal to get back to town and go back again, some of my sound effects disappear, e.g. casting spells have no sound anymore..
i then have to restart the game and all is well again untill i use a portal again.

Edit: its not just the portal its allso when it has to load a new level e.g - when you go down stairs.
loseless

Postby Marijuana » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:26 pm

Bumping because I have the same issue. I can go maybe 5-10 minutes having perfect sound then something happens and suddenly the only sound I have is the music. The sound sometimes comes back briefly if I keep spamming spells. This game blew my mind, but the sound issue really dulls it down. Has anyone got a fix for this yet?
Marijuana

Postby darkedone02 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:24 pm

I also got the same problems as you guys got on the sound, however the sound gets louder when it studders... and the studders was so annoying I turned off my sound and music as both was studdering.
darkedone02

Postby nashwan » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:26 am

also having soundissues, everything seemed to work at first but not long into the game i only had music =/

game from steam on an XP SP3.
nashwan

Postby Marijuana » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:23 am

Bumping because it seems to be a pretty rare issue because no one's talking about it on the forums. I hope the devs see this thread. :/
Marijuana

Postby Nitex » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:41 am

You guys should post what sound cards you have, if you know what you have. I'm guessing this isn't an X-Fi only problem?
Nitex

Postby GanjStar » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:37 am

i have an x-fi latest drivers. the only bug that i have is that i can only hear a short distance ahead of me. feels very strange tos ee a fight at the end of the screen but no sound :D
GanjStar

Postby travisbaldree » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:08 pm

As a test, would one of you mind going to the Sounds and Audio Devices area in your Windows Control Panel?
Open up the Audio tab -
then for the sound playback device, choose Advanced

There should then be a Performance tab -

Try sliding the Hardware Acceleration to None, and then running the game ( remember to turn this back on when you're done, especially if it doesn't help! )
And please let me know how that goes-
travisbaldree
Runic Retired

Postby jamesL » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:16 pm

I have 2 problems with the sound

1: I can't hear any footsteps;
maybe that's not a big problem, but it sure seems to take away a lot of atmosphere; it just seems weird having all this runnng and no footstep sounds

2: the spell casting noise is way too loud; I gave my pet a heal spell and now I'm sorry I did;
he casts it every 10 seconds and its LOUD compared to the other sounds; even my gunshots aren't as loud as it is
I don't have a sig
jamesL

Postby Infiniteloop » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:27 pm

That worked for me Travis! I have sounds in combat now. Previously was only getting music and a few other sounds. Running xp, with on board sound...err realtek alc889a if that helps.
Infiniteloop

Postby Nitex » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:54 pm

travisbaldree wrote:As a test, would one of you mind going to the Sounds and Audio Devices area in your Windows Control Panel?
Open up the Audio tab -
then for the sound playback device, choose Advanced

There should then be a Performance tab -

Try sliding the Hardware Acceleration to None, and then running the game ( remember to turn this back on when you're done, especially if it doesn't help! )
And please let me know how that goes-

I'm guessing this is for XP? I can't seem to find that in Vista, I think it was removed.
Nitex

Postby McKertis » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:15 am

That fixed the sound disappearance, but now ever so often static can be heard cracking. Especially in loading screens.
McKertis

Postby SchaF » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:12 am

You can also change the sound acceleration in DirectX. Go to Win -> Run and write "dxdiag". You can select the level of sound acceleration on the Sound tab. I'll test this asap.
SchaF

Postby Nitex » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:24 pm

I set my speaker options to 2.1 instead of 5.1 to see if that would do anything and it did not. I still cannot find any sort of way to lower vista sound performance. Is there anyway to force Torchlight to use software sound in the config file?

[EDIT]

Ok new little thing I just found. I just used a fish to turn my pet into a ummm... tree, forgot the creature's name but yeah it looks like a walking tree. Well anyway ALL I hear is the tree walking around, it's incredibly loud compared to everything else. I almost can't even hear the music anymore.
Nitex

Postby DrZettl » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:39 am

I am also encountering this problem with sound.
Has there been any progress or information on this issue?

The same issue has been described in the following threads:
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1833
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2072

Travis, turning my sound acceleration off appeared to solve the problem, but this is annoying since other games choke without it.
I have a SoundBlaster Live card in my PC, and I'm running on WinXP.
DrZettl

Postby SchaF » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:15 am

Do not turn it off completely, set it to Basic. I have it now at Basic acceleration and it works all right.
SchaF

Postby Pookah » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:52 pm

I have the same "missing action sounds" issue, where the sound is fine and then in the middle of playing the action sounds are gone. The music and voices stay the whole time. I played like that for a while to make sure. It gets a bit spooky as even exploding barrels make no sound. I tried going up and down floors and even switching characters and the problem persisted.

Like DrZettl, I have a SoundBlaster Live and Windows XP. I downloaded the game from Steam, if it matters.

I'm going to try switching it to Basic and see if that prevents the issue from happening.
Pookah

Postby ZagMadFany » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:26 pm

Hey! Sorry but my english is bad. Yesterday i have same problem then you. I set in soud card preferences 2 channel mode and now all sounds working perfectly. I have 2.1 Speakers and headphones . Earlier i'd have 6 channel enable and then somes sound doesent working.
ZagMadFany

Next

Return to Torchlight Win/Mac/Linux Support