FAILED GAME CREATION

Community support forum for the Torchlight single-player game.

Re: FAILED GAME CREATION

Postby cametall » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:20 pm

I just launched the demo again and received the message, as usual it resets all of my video options. It sets it back to windowed mode and the resolution back to 640x480. My sound options didn't get reset.
cametall

Postby Kein » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:04 am

Same here.
Enabling AA breaks the game.
Vistax32SP2/GeForce 182.50/DX9upd_aug09
C2Q/GTX260/4Gb
Kein

Postby berendjan » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:36 am

got that error also

got an Acer Aspire 5536

AMD Turion X2 2.2 GHZ
4 GB Ram
Radeon 4570
Vista 32bit
berendjan

Postby mrfg » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:11 am

I'm having this problem everyday...

1) I try to run the game, and then the message FAILED GAME CREATION shows up, and close the game.
2) Then I try to run it again, and it works, but on Windowed Mode (and resolution is set to 640x480, but it is actually 1024x768, same as desktop).
3) I set it to 1024x768 Fullscreen Mode, and it works just fine (no AA though, with AA the game crashes with the same error)
4) I play the game normally, then close it.
5) Next time I try to run it, it goes back to (1), same error, closes, etc.

I am using the client downloaded from the Runic Site. The same problem happened with the Demo downloaded through Steam (uninstalled before installing the full version).

I can play the game, but its annoying having to run it twice and setting Fullscreen before playing every time...

My System:

Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400
nVidia GeForce 7950 GT 512MB
2 GB of RAM

[]s mrfg
mrfg

Postby Vocal » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:07 pm

Just to provide more information about this Error, I too got the Error upon starting the game from the ICON. However I had previously been clicking start>>programs>> (torchlight) to run the game.

The game still loaded. But the error was on my desktop when I alt tabbed.

I exited the game (thinking I don't want to start playing while theres an error with the startup.)

I then came to the forums here and searched for the error thinking I must have broken something. After reading a few posts on the problem it appears its almost random and although it may seem like its an AA problem, I usually do not mess with my video card settings at all.

I thought ok if I can duplicate this problem then maybe I can help. So.. I ran the game again by clicking start>>programs>>torchlight

And it started fine with no errors.

I then exited the game and clicked on the icon that I had created the last night before I went to bed (wich I clicked on originally to produce the error) and I did NOT get the error again. So, at this point I do not know what the problem could have been.

I know this really doesnt Help anyone but it does provide more information on at least my situation. So far I am playing the game with no problems.
Vocal

Postby madbrahms » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:54 pm

It doesn't actually seem to be an AA problem, at least for me. I've been able to get around it about 50% of the time by setting the game to 640x480 FS w / AA at first, then coming back and changing the resolution; it seems if I change the settings one at a time I have more luck.

This is really sort of a voodoo fix, though, rather than anything sure-fire. Runic seems to be patching all sorts of things (woo!) so my money is on this disappearing soon - hopefully really soon, since it's damn annoying!
madbrahms

Postby bidget » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:25 pm

I am having the same problem, only I have just recently installed the game and it hasn't even opened properly yet... I installed it originally on Windows 7 Pro 64bit, and it didn't even give me the "FAILED GAME CREATION" error. The icon would just appear on the taskbar, and I would have to end task because nothing would show up. I uninstalled it and tried installing it again in Windows XP Mode (for anyone unfamiliar it is a Windows XP emulator that comes with Windows 7 in case of compatibility issues) and now a Torchlight window will display, but after a second or two a box appears saying FAILED GAME CREATION and the program exits. I haven't installed the game under steam because paying for a game twice just seems like a waste... Sounds like this has been happening to a lot of people though so I hope someone can figure this out :) Oh and it's most likely not anything to do with my drivers or operating system as I just recently installed Windows 7 3 or 4 days ago.

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
AMD Athlon X2 5000+ BE
Gigabyte M57-SLI-S4 Rev 2.0
2GB OCZ XTC Platinum Rev.2 PC2-6400
eVGA GeForce 8800GT 512MB
bidget

Postby ProfessorMamet » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:53 pm

*bump* - Exact same issue!
ProfessorMamet

Postby Naihonn » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:55 am

Yes, it really looks like Windows Vista/7 problem. My brother has Vista 32bit and of course same thing... 8-)
Naihonn

Postby StonerMk2 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:18 am

Ah was wondering about this little bug...ive gotten used to it and have started to just ignore it mostly. Sure its a slight hassle to have to reset my display settings everytime i launch the game, but id rather have the game work then have AA on.
StonerMk2

Postby Anti » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:38 pm

Same problem here, i hope it gets a fix soon.
Anti

Postby travisbaldree » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:00 am

If any of you get the updated version and it works for you, please let me know-
travisbaldree
Runic Staff

Postby mrfg » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:55 am

travisbaldree wrote:If any of you get the updated version and it works for you, please let me know-

I'll try it as soon as I get home (i'm at the office) and patch it in my desktop.

TL works fine on my notebook (with WinXP), so the patch didn't do anything i could notice (besides opening faster).

[]s mrfg
Last edited by mrfg on Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrfg

Postby mrfg » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:27 pm

travisbaldree wrote:If any of you get the updated version and it works for you, please let me know-

mrfg wrote:I'll try it as soon as I get home (i'm at the office) and patch it in my desktop.

Perfect! It worked right after installation! The game was launched straight into Fullscreen mode, with the correct resolution and, to top it off, with AA activated! Amazing!!! :D

Thank you!!!! :D

[]s mrfg
mrfg

Postby RnF » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:42 pm

All is good for me now. It did start in windowed mode, but I was able to reset to my native resolution with AA on with no problems.

Thanks!
RnF

Postby mvMcfly » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:54 am

I am having the Failed Game Creation error on the 1.2 version of Torchlight

Hardware: MBP CoreDuo 2.16 2GB RAM Running Windows 7 Pro in Virtual Box (Will try Bootcamp soon) (Side Note-This error appears under XP SP3 as well)
Graphics Card: ATI x1600 256MB

I have video memory in VB set to 128 (highest it allows me) and "Enable 3D Acceleration" checked.

When I do the Windows Start icon > dxdiag [enter]: DirectDraw/Direct3D/AGP Hardward Acceleration all are Not Available

Should I be trying anything else to get this to work or should I wait to try this all under BootCamp?

This was a copy purchased on Runic Games site.

Edit: This error appears under Play Torchlight Safe Mode and Play Torchlight
mvMcfly

Postby Spikez » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:48 pm

Hey there. New to the game and the forum, had the problem from this thread and thought I'd share my solution. Was just out of date video drivers. Worth looking at after you do the dxdia thing. Nvidea has a tool for checking their cards drivers on their site.
Spikez

Postby dakotareese » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:21 pm

Bump.

I just downloaded the demo and am running Windows 7 64-bit on a Bootcamped Macbook Pro.
dakotareese

Postby tlabresh » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:06 pm

rfranknj wrote:Hey guys.

Go to start > run and type dxdiag, hit enter, go to 'Display' and make sure it says 'Enabled' after 'Direct3D Acceleration'.

This is usually a problem with drivers being improperly installed / not up to date.

Ok, mine says it is not available. How do i make it so? Running windows7 on a bootcamped Macbook.
tlabresh

Previous

Return to Torchlight Win/Mac/Linux Support