(UPDATED 12:08 PM 11/11/09)Runic Patch 1.12 - Vendor updates

Community support forum for the Torchlight single-player game.

Re: Current Bugs under Investigation and Status

Postby Sojyn » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:15 am

As foot note for ISAWHIM's fix. Check / redrfrag your disk after doing the procedure. In my case, the original pak file was not fragmented. The new one came up as being fragmented. Might help for people who it seems the fix didn't work.

Cheers
Sojyn

Postby Wellisk » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:20 am

are you guys looking to the AA problem too?
thanks and great work!
Viva a suinocultura de porcos!
Wellisk

Postby Suzi » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:41 am

Inverness wrote:I hope the bug fixing being done now hasn't pushed the release of the editor back. :cry:
Suzi wrote:I want to report that the workaround did NOT work for me, my load times hardly quicker. Windows XP Pro SP3 still needs ages to open the zip if i double-click it. Same with a zip created with 7-zip.
What level of compression and algorithm did you use to create the zip file? The fix instructions involved using the normal Windows compression which uses the Deflate algorithm with a normal level of compression. Specifying a higher level of compression or a different algorithm in 7-Zip will invalidate the performance gains.

Since I can't change anything using the windows compression, that should work but didn't. With 7-zip i used normal compression and Deflate. WinRAR didn't work either.

I think it's a general problem with certain PCs, nothing Runic can fix probably: http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp& ... 2da62f92ea
Suzi

Postby Eisberg » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:46 am

Any chance the patch will be ready today or friday, perhaps saturday morning? The Brink bug is killing me, can't stand it when I am missing a part of the storyline.
Eisberg

Postby dyze » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:08 am

for a future patch, i suggest adding a visual aid when your health is low, as opposed to the speech, which really cant be heard when there is a lot going on.
some red faded red flashing near/above the healthbar would do nice
dyze

Postby Huggs » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:09 am

travisbaldree wrote:L) Console not activating on Steam builds - fixed

How do we get this update??
Last edited by Huggs on Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Huggs

Postby ibitato » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:10 am

Thanks for the updates

And regarding AA in game setting, not working ???

There is a work around, you select not full screen, set AA, then back to full screen and it stays.
But if you go out of the game, and run it again the setting it's gone

also, with multiple screens it messes all opened windows positions and size......
ibitato

Postby Eisberg » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:14 am

Huggs wrote:
travisbaldree wrote:L) Console not activating on Steam builds - fixed

How do we get this update??

Bascially what you are seeing is issues they have fixed and should appear in the first update. First update should be released soon. One of the devs said they have pushed back the TorchED to early next week because they wanted to get the patch out first.
Eisberg

Postby skudfisher » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:28 am

Good to know about this recompressing the zip file fix for load times! I'll have to try it when I get home from work. The load times on my system are somewhat ridiculous...

Can't wait for this patch now!
skudfisher

Postby Zaurok » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:00 am

Suzi wrote:
Inverness wrote:I hope the bug fixing being done now hasn't pushed the release of the editor back. :cry:
Suzi wrote:I want to report that the workaround did NOT work for me, my load times hardly quicker. Windows XP Pro SP3 still needs ages to open the zip if i double-click it. Same with a zip created with 7-zip.
What level of compression and algorithm did you use to create the zip file? The fix instructions involved using the normal Windows compression which uses the Deflate algorithm with a normal level of compression. Specifying a higher level of compression or a different algorithm in 7-Zip will invalidate the performance gains.

Since I can't change anything using the windows compression, that should work but didn't. With 7-zip i used normal compression and Deflate. WinRAR didn't work either.

I think it's a general problem with certain PCs, nothing Runic can fix probably: http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp& ... 2da62f92ea

I received a popup telling me that in order for Compressed "zipped" Folder to work, it must be set as the default ZIP program(currently have winzip set as default). Maybe you didn't do that? Might want to check it out.

On a side note, why didn't Runic use a pak file? Just kidding. :mrgreen:
Zaurok

Postby Inverness » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:09 am

Zaurok wrote:I received a popup telling me that in order for Compressed "zipped" Folder to work, it must be set as the default ZIP program(currently have winzip set as default). Maybe you didn't do that? Might want to check it out.
That is certainly not the case. The zip file just needs to have been correctly created for the game to read and use it. The default program used to open zip files is irrelevant.
Inverness

Postby tuffjuff » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:12 am

Sojyn wrote:As foot note for ISAWHIM's fix. Check / redrfrag your disk after doing the procedure. In my case, the original pak file was not fragmented. The new one came up as being fragmented. Might help for people who it seems the fix didn't work.

Cheers

It probably depends on how fragmented the person's hard drive was before they re-packed the ZIP file.
2.26Ghz Core2Duo
4GB DDR-2 667
GeForce 9800m GT 512MB w/ 186.81
320GB 7200RPM Seagate
Windows Vista 64-bit SP2 (2 week old, fresh install)
tuffjuff

Postby BiffMan » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:26 am

ISAWHIM wrote:NOTE: I have set my max FPS to 30FPS now. No sense processing 200 FPS when most monitors only display 60 FPS. (60 Hz is 60 FPS, You get more screen tearing and drive CPU use up higher when you try to process 200 frames. At 100Hz, 200FPS translates into two half-screens being drawn. Read the HZ of the monitor and set the maximum FPS to match that. Unless you are benchmarking, which destroys hardware and consumes tons of wasted power, you don't need more frames than can possibly be seen by the human eye or displayed by the monitor.)

Question - Would that advice be any different for folks running X-Fire or SLI cards? I'm not as up on the current methods of workload sharing in an SLI setup as I was a few years ago, so wasn't sure if they would benefit from extra frames of data being created, otherwise I'll bump it down to 60 fps max. Awesome tips and info though!
Ooooh! Shiiiiiiny....
BiffMan

Postby Wiggle » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:28 am

Any status on the missing saved games? I lost my lv 25 Vanq last night and now Im afraid to play anything in fear of losing it again.
Wiggle

Postby Gunnilx » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:12 am

Wiggle wrote:Any status on the missing saved games? I lost my lv 25 Vanq last night and now Im afraid to play anything in fear of losing it again.

Need to know...

LvL 20 exitus...
Gunnilx

Postby tableux3 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:22 am

"B) Long load times - We are actively investigating this now, and have some possible leads (UPDATE - FIXED - 2 fixes actually! ISAWHIM's fix, as well as several internal fixes to the way that resources are handled should really help this )"

How does one go about fixing this bold part?
tableux3

Postby Needlehawk » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:31 am

tableux3 wrote:"B) Long load times - We are actively investigating this now, and have some possible leads (UPDATE - FIXED - 2 fixes actually! ISAWHIM's fix, as well as several internal fixes to the way that resources are handled should really help this )"

How does one go about fixing this bold part?

I think that the part in bold will be fixed in the patch.
Needlehawk

Postby LarsDomus » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:37 am

So, I'm one of those poor bastards who can't get ISAWHIM's fix to work. I followed his instructions to the letter, but load times didn't improve. I've timed it, though, and opening both the file created with ISAWHIM's method and Runic's original file as a compressed folder in explorer takes more or less exactly 50 seconds. And yes, ISAWHIM's method produces a smaller, more compressed file. I'm crossing my fingers it's something to do with how my Windows (XP Professional, SP3, 32-bit) creates zip files, rather than with how it opens them, though. I can't find any solution or explanation on the net.

The damnedest thing is that WinRAR will open both files instantly :x
LarsDomus

Postby Volbard » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:54 am

Gunnilx wrote:
Wiggle wrote:Any status on the missing saved games? I lost my lv 25 Vanq last night and now Im afraid to play anything in fear of losing it again.

Need to know...

LvL 20 exitus...

As a temporary measure, you can copy your save files out of the folder and back them up. I know that sucks to do, sorry. This bug is a top priority, and we'll get a fix to you as soon as possible.
Volbard
Runic Staff

Postby sankgreal » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:55 am

Has anyone else "lost" a saved game? Unless you can only have 2 characters at a time I lost my main vanquisher and now only have my 2 random characters ; ; Anyone know if this can be fixed or am I SOL?
sankgreal

PreviousNext

Return to Torchlight Win/Mac/Linux Support