(UPDATED 12:08 PM 11/11/09)Runic Patch 1.12 - Vendor updates

Community support forum for the Torchlight single-player game.

Re: Current Bugs under Investigation and Status

Postby Hyfar » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:07 pm

May I ask how to backup my characters? Should I just copy my save folder somewhere on my disk?
Hyfar

Postby Tiamat » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:10 pm

Monsters not dropping loot on death due to DoT damage: Fixed

Mods crashing for users with special characters in account name: Reproduced and under investigated
Tiamat
Runic Retired

Postby sos4tw » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:12 pm

I know this is stupid but my friend thought he lost his characters too but just didn't realize he had to hit Load Character ... I hope that isn't the case for people having this problem lol.
World of Warcraft is the Devil.
sos4tw

Postby AVHero » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:19 pm

Is this repack solution only for XP? I run Windows 7. Should it work for me, or is It XP specific?
AVHero

Postby Darien » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:29 pm

sos4tw wrote:I know this is stupid but my friend thought he lost his characters too but just didn't realize he had to hit Load Character ... I hope that isn't the case for people having this problem lol.

Not for all of us, anyhow. But definitely a good first thing to check. :-)
Darien

Postby ISAWHIM » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:02 pm

I have not tried it on windows 7 or vista... (I don't have them to try.)

For those not seeing any loading-time changes... (Remember, this fix is a specific issue fix for only some of these loading issues. If it does not work, your issue is not due to the oversized zip-file. Expect that the other mentioned patch will fix your problem.)

For those having trouble zipping, due to other decompression programs...

In the uncompressed folder where it says "media"...
- 1. Select the second-mouse button in any open area in the window for the folder. Choose "NEW" and then "Compressed (Zipped) folder".
- 2. Rename it to "Pak.zip"
- 3. Drag the "media" folder over the newly renamed Pak.zip and drop it into the file.

That should force windows to use the native compressor. If that has no change, and the other compressed files didn't result in a change, then you just need to wait for the patch to come out. (I believe it is certain systems that depend more on virtual-memory and have limited RAM and have specific issues with large-zips, that suffer from this problem. That may be a majority of the people with this loading issue, but it is not the only loading issue. We still have long loading times, they are just not as long as before.)
Looking for a break from the game? Waiting for more content?
Read my short story... [Story] Miles deep and miles away
Story by: Jason D'Angelo
ISAWHIM

Postby userfriendly » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:06 pm

About the loading delay, won't it be faster if we unzip the resources and just leave them. Won't it be faster just to read them off of the file system then to unzip a file?
Proudly presents an Online Tactics Game
userfriendly

Postby Darien » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:26 pm

Not really. Modern computers generally have CPU time and RAM well in excess of what Torchlight demands, but disk read speeds are still comparatively low. You can, in some situations (and apparently this is one of them), get a performance increase by reducing the size and quantity of the reads in exchange for spending CPU time decompressing the data.

If you mean unzipping the data completely into a directory full of files, that will give you far worse performance, since you'll be adding a ton of extra tiny little seeks and reads. Disk I/O is the bottleneck here, and that's why the compression trick seems to be working.
Darien

Postby Magister » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:28 pm

uhm i did the ishawim fix but now the game crashes randomly ...
btw maybe it could be an incompatibility with the original pak zip?
i have both "OriginalPak.zip" and "pak.zip" files , do i need to delete one of those ?
Neverdie --- Vanquisher [HC/VH] ---> LvL 31 DEAD
Magister

Postby Fencer » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:22 pm

ah man that missing saves bug is fucked, twice it happend to me first time my lvl 26 destroyer disappeared 2nd time it was a lvl 5 Vanq.
Fencer

Postby sos4tw » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:27 pm

Fencer wrote:ah man that missing saves bug is fucked, twice it happend to me first time my lvl 26 destroyer disappeared 2nd time it was a lvl 5 Vanq.

The only real problems I've come across are the long loading screens and the sound bugging out. I'm sorry your characters are getting deleted and I expect it to happen to me soon :P. I've stopped playing to prevent any further upsets. I'll wait for the patch and cross my fingers!
Last edited by sos4tw on Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
World of Warcraft is the Devil.
sos4tw

Postby Adicne » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:41 pm

The unpakking and zipping back seems to have improved my FPS when skeletons crawl out of the ground, traps spring and when I use a large AoE attack on lots of enemies. My pc would get a short halt before I re-zipped the Pak.zip file. The loading times though, seem to be longer now. Especially the initial start-up is much longer. 85 seconds now, which is about 25% longer then normal. Level loading is just a tad longer.

So in short: Better FPS at some points, longer loading times.

Guess I'll have to wait for the official patch ;)
Adicne

Postby Fencer » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:48 pm

sos4tw wrote:
Fencer wrote:ah man that missing saves bug is fucked, twice it happend to me first time my lvl 26 destroyer disappeared 2nd time it was a lvl 5 Vanq.

The only real problems I've come across are the long loading screens and the sound bugging out. I'm sorry your characters are getting deleted and I expect it to happen to me soon :P. I've stopped playing to prevent any further upsets. I'll wait for the patch and cross my fingers!

my loading time are fine, running on my 2ghz, 2gb ram labtop (win7)
Fencer

Postby ISAWHIM » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:49 pm

Magister wrote:uhm i did the isawhim fix but now the game crashes randomly ...
btw maybe it could be an incompatibility with the original pak zip?
i have both "OriginalPak.zip" and "pak.zip" files , do i need to delete one of those ?

Try the defragment issue first. (I can confirm that the created file does get fragmented the way I outlined for the creation. That is not an issue with the original file, as it was created all at once, and never moved. With my original method, the file becomes fragmented because it is being created at that moment. As opposed to creating it on another drive, and then copying it as one large file to a new destination.)

If the defragment still results in crashes... Delete the smaller file, and restore the "OriginalPak.zip" by renaming it to "Pak.zip".

Do not delete the original, as the update may require you to restore that file, as it may be expecting that exact uncompressed ZIP file. I can not guess on the operation limitations of the update program. If I encounter an issue with the update program and the compressed file, I will let everyone know. I assume they are looking into making arrangements so the update will not require this re-zipping process in the future.
Looking for a break from the game? Waiting for more content?
Read my short story... [Story] Miles deep and miles away
Story by: Jason D'Angelo
ISAWHIM

Postby Suzi » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:52 pm

ISAWHIM wrote:For those not seeing any loading-time changes... (Remember, this fix is a specific issue fix for only some of these loading issues. If it does not work, your issue is not due to the oversized zip-file. Expect that the other mentioned patch will fix your problem.)

Well, (my) windows xp needs ages to open pak.zip, so I guess it is the same problem, except the fix ain't working.

I'm curious: can your windows open the new 300 MB .zip instantly?
Last edited by Suzi on Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suzi

Postby Bissrok » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:52 pm

Not to be overly impatient, but is there an ETA yet on this patch? It seems like you've fixed a few things that are sort of big issues, so it'd be nice to get what we can, at least before you guys go on break for the weekend.
Bissrok

Postby SirPenguin » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:06 pm

Just wanted to cross post this discover in this thread as well. The RespecMod is causing at least two of us INSANELY long loadtimes. I'm currently using the re-zipped pak file.

WITH the RespecMod, start-up load time is around 2 minutes
WITHOUT the RespecMod, start-up load time is under 25 seconds!

Pretty crazy
SirPenguin

Postby Blitz » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:24 pm

I did the isawhim fix, rezipped using default windows 7 zip program. Defrag harddrive afterwards.

No improvement. still 1 minute load times.
Blitz

Postby pleasedpig » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:54 pm

The brink bug is kicking my ass, but I'm a very pleased pig to see the fix in progress!

Shoot a patch out ASAP, because clearly you don't need sleep this weekend. And neither do I, so patch this puppy so I can successfully waste the weekend
pleasedpig

Postby Needlehawk » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:55 pm

I did the isawhim fix and defragged my drive (which badly needed it). Without the mods, it now gets to the continue screen in about 45 seconds (a significant improvement). With HeronMod and RespecMod added in, it takes 1 minute and 23 seconds to load. So a significant difference.
Needlehawk

PreviousNext

Return to Torchlight Win/Mac/Linux Support