(UPDATED 12:08 PM 11/11/09)Runic Patch 1.12 - Vendor updates

Community support forum for the Torchlight single-player game.

Re: Current Bugs under Investigation and Status

Postby Inverness » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:25 pm

SirPenguin wrote:Just wanted to cross post this discover in this thread as well. The RespecMod is causing at least two of us INSANELY long loadtimes. I'm currently using the re-zipped pak file.

WITH the RespecMod, start-up load time is around 2 minutes
WITHOUT the RespecMod, start-up load time is under 25 seconds!

Pretty crazy

Needlehawk wrote:I did the isawhim fix and defragged my drive (which badly needed it). Without the mods, it now gets to the continue screen in about 45 seconds (a significant improvement). With HeronMod and RespecMod added in, it takes 1 minute and 23 seconds to load. So a significant difference.
I believe this is due to how the game is searching folders for files. I've logged CreateFile calls again since I've installed the RespecMod and notice that game is now searching for all files in the mod folder along with locations outside of the Pak.zip before finally loading the data file from Pak.zip. This is also bugged because it seems to be searching twice the same unnecessary location now that there is a mod installed. The devs are aware of this bug and I'm sure it will be fixed in the upcoming patch.

Here are two screenshots showing what I'm talking about.

http://inverness.dreamhosters.com/images/TL03.jpg
http://inverness.dreamhosters.com/images/TL04.jpg
Inverness

Postby piratepwnsninja » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:33 pm

Has anyone that has the Steam version tried ishawim's fix?
piratepwnsninja

Postby Inverness » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:39 pm

piratepwnsninja wrote:Has anyone that has the Steam version tried ishawim's fix?
I have, and it has worked extremely well.
Inverness

Postby Shardz » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:03 pm

ISAWHIM wrote:I have not tried it on windows 7 or vista... (I don't have them to try.)

For those not seeing any loading-time changes... (Remember, this fix is a specific issue fix for only some of these loading issues. If it does not work, your issue is not due to the oversized zip-file. Expect that the other mentioned patch will fix your problem.)

For those having trouble zipping, due to other decompression programs...

In the uncompressed folder where it says "media"...
- 1. Select the second-mouse button in any open area in the window for the folder. Choose "NEW" and then "Compressed (Zipped) folder".
- 2. Rename it to "Pak.zip"
- 3. Drag the "media" folder over the newly renamed Pak.zip and drop it into the file.

That should force windows to use the native compressor. If that has no change, and the other compressed files didn't result in a change, then you just need to wait for the patch to come out. (I believe it is certain systems that depend more on virtual-memory and have limited RAM and have specific issues with large-zips, that suffer from this problem. That may be a majority of the people with this loading issue, but it is not the only loading issue. We still have long loading times, they are just not as long as before.)

I initiated your fix and got about a 20% speed increase and the game seems to run fine, but my computer is an old P4 2.4 and I wasn't expecting any miracles anyway. :) My question for you is this; upon creating the zip file with the Windows compression, a box popped up asking if I wanted to associate Windows with that format of compression and seemed to take it away from WinZip. How can I give the association back to WinZip in the future?
Shardz

Postby eviltypeguy » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:43 pm

Citizen86 wrote:So your new compressed zip file works faster than the uncompressed zip file that came with it? That's weird...

Not really. It all comes down to which is faster; your CPU or you I/O device (hard drive). Most CPUs these days are so fast that it is actually better to write compressed data to disk and then decompress it every time you need it then to write uncompressed data to disk.

By writing the data to disk in compressed form, you have less data to read from disk, which allows you to essentially read more data in less time.
eviltypeguy

Postby Maldrow » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:38 pm

Have the Devs died to exhaustion? lol no word in a long time.
Maldrow

Postby wikkid » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:27 am

Under stand that Needle Arc massive xp was fixed in the upcoming update does it also fix the massive xp from a pet killing something with frost as well as the last tick is on the dot it seems to give even more xp than Needle Arc.
wikkid

Postby void242 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:51 am

another question:
how will the guinea pigs distribute the fixes?
will it be send out to the distributors or will runic post an .exe to patch the files?

dreaming in digital
living in realtime
thinking in binary
talking in IP

Get Dropbox (2GB) and additional 250 GB for free
void242

Postby Carniveron » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:28 am

Inverness wrote:
SirPenguin wrote:Just wanted to cross post this discover in this thread as well. The RespecMod is causing at least two of us INSANELY long loadtimes. I'm currently using the re-zipped pak file.

WITH the RespecMod, start-up load time is around 2 minutes
WITHOUT the RespecMod, start-up load time is under 25 seconds!

Pretty crazy

Needlehawk wrote:I did the isawhim fix and defragged my drive (which badly needed it). Without the mods, it now gets to the continue screen in about 45 seconds (a significant improvement). With HeronMod and RespecMod added in, it takes 1 minute and 23 seconds to load. So a significant difference.
I believe this is due to how the game is searching folders for files. I've logged CreateFile calls again since I've installed the RespecMod and notice that game is now searching for all files in the mod folder along with locations outside of the Pak.zip before finally loading the data file from Pak.zip. This is also bugged because it seems to be searching twice the same unnecessary location now that there is a mod installed. The devs are aware of this bug and I'm sure it will be fixed in the upcoming patch.

Here are two screenshots showing what I'm talking about.

http://inverness.dreamhosters.com/images/TL03.jpg
http://inverness.dreamhosters.com/images/TL04.jpg

I have added the RespecMod and can confirm this problem as well.
Looks like we're just going to have to wait and see if this patch fixes the problem.

Cheers
Carniveron

Postby Maestroni » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:37 am

Eep I did not know how buggy this game is. It is working fine for me up until the last boss. I had him down to about 70% hitpoints and then the game crashed because of a C++ error I did not read the whole thing because my laptop auto restarted. Now I can't even start up the program. I double click on the icon and nothing happens. Believe it or not I have been sitting through all the long loading I just thought it was because I have such a old laptop. I see that most of the problems people are having have been fixed and will be patched. Any idea when that will be? I hope my character is still there if I am ever able to play again. I did not know people have their characters deleted. The game is very fun and I like it very much. Not being able to finish the game when so close is really sad. Please help. Thank you.
Maestroni

Postby Marshel » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:48 am

I hope you will get the life and mana leech bug wich doeasnt affect to any skills also on your list. :)
Marshel

Postby Bremze » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:07 am

Extracting the Pak file, defragmenting my hard drive and then re-ziping it, cut loading times in half and improved the framerate but after around 3 hours of playtime, loading times and framerate became even worse then before. I'm guessing it has something to do with the way sounds and music are streamed, the waterfall sounds had a big impact on the framerate. I have also heard people saying, that muting sounds and music gets them a large increase in fps, going to try that later today.
Bremze

Postby Huggs » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:49 am

Eisberg wrote:One of the devs said they have pushed back the TorchED to early next week because they wanted to get the patch out first.

Noooo!
Huggs

Postby Zorglon » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:13 am

Two gameplay bugs:

Spell Mastery: change in rank was not applied to known summons when I put points into Charm Mastery. Spells learned after that showed the correct rank.

---------------------
Access to the Infinite Dungeon: after I retired my main character, I lost access to the infinite dungeon. Here's what I did and what might have caused it:

Timeline phase 1:
I have two characters: Greta (main character - just finished campaign) and Jim (level 1)
- at this point both characters have access to the ID, with monsters scaling correctly on the first floor.

Phase 2:
I delete Jim. *Greta is my only char now*.

Phase 3:
I retire Greta and immediatly create Greta jr.
-Greta jr. and all other new characters don't have access to the ID.
(GAME_COMPLETED_ONCE :0, RETIREE_QUEST :COMPLETEDONCE)

Phase 4:
I set GAME_COMPLETED_ONCE :1, but it doesn't seem to have any effect.
Last edited by Zorglon on Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zorglon

Postby Inverness » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:23 am

Bremze wrote:Extracting the Pak file, defragmenting my hard drive and then re-ziping it, cut loading times in half and improved the framerate but after around 3 hours of playtime, loading times and framerate became even worse then before. I'm guessing it has something to do with the way sounds and music are streamed, the waterfall sounds had a big impact on the framerate. I have also heard people saying, that muting sounds and music gets them a large increase in fps, going to try that later today.
One of the devs said that music was streamed from the HD (don't know if that applies to other sounds). I personally don't like that, I do have 4GB of RAM and would rather just have the game cache the music in RAM rather than stream it from the HD.

So this is my latest suggestion to the Devs, make music streaming optional so I don't have a bunch of disk I/O while I'm doing nothing.
Inverness

Postby Bremze » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:31 am

Well then I'm better off with streaming because of my 512mb ram. :lol:
Bremze

Postby Aaron » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:25 am

I have tried the pak.zip repacking as instructed on the first page but that hasn't made much of a difference afaik, but I am unsure if my load times are considered bad compared to others, have a look below:

Starting game from Steam to char screen: 23 seconds
Loading a saved game on a floor populated with monsters: 12 seconds
Going up a floor that is empty: 4 seconds
Going back to the floor populated with monsters: 8-9 seconds.

Windows 7 and Torchlight resides on an OCZ Agility 60GB SSD, running on a Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz with 4GB of DDR2 RAM.

Also, can Torchlight be set up to use both of my cores? I find it uses 100% of my first core while core #2 is idle or ~20% (Edit: this seems to be at 100% when tabbed out only, not sure why)
Last edited by Aaron on Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron

Postby Inverness » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:43 am

Aaron wrote:I have tried the pak.zip repacking as instructed on the first page but that hasn't made much of a difference afaik, but I am unsure if my load times are considered bad compared to others, have a look below:

Starting game from Steam to char screen: 23 seconds
Loading a saved game on a floor populated with monsters: 12 seconds
Going up a floor that is empty: 4 seconds
Going back to the floor populated with monsters: 8-9 seconds.

Windows 7 and Torchlight resides on an OCZ Agility 60GB SSD, running on a Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz with 4GB of DDR2 RAM.

Also, can Torchlight be set up to use both of my cores? I find it uses 100% of my first core while core #2 is idle or ~20%
Games have to be designed from the ground up to be multithreading.
Inverness

Postby escapedturkey » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:55 am

My FPS fluctuates a lot. Strangely in places that it shouldn't. How do you set the max FPS to 30 in the game? Is there a console command?

Update: I set my CPU affinity to 1 vs. 2 cores and FPS seems much more stable. Is there a problem with multi cores?

Specs: ThinkPad T60 (2 ghz Core Duo, 2 gigs ram, ATI X1400, Win XP Pro SP3).
escapedturkey

Postby Nitex » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:17 am

Are you working on fixes for missing sounds? I did not see it mentioned any where. And it's really the only problem I have with the game so far.
Nitex

PreviousNext

Return to Torchlight Win/Mac/Linux Support