Torchlight II Beta Question

Hardcore Discussion :: Guild Discussion

Torchlight II Beta Question

Postby Destro168 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:39 am

Hello,

I saw Torchlight on the sig of some guy on the HoN forums and bought Torchlight for $20 AND NOT ON SALE a few months ago. :O

Anyway, I don't really browse the forums that much (I used to when I was looking for mods back in the day), but I remember reading somewhere that people who Torchlight will be able to get into the Torchlight II Beta. I was kinda disappointed with the original Torchlight but meh I digress, I feel like I supported a small gaming company. The only thing I knew that would ever give me hope again for Torchlight was multiplayer (which I remember seeing some small projects working on it). With Torchlight II promising multiplayer, I'm very excited.

Anyway, I was wondering if this was in fact true that original Torchlight buyers will be able to participate in the beta (assuming their is one) and if the offer still stands.

Thanks,
Destro
Empty lil' sig
Destro168

Re: Torchlight II Beta Question

Postby Webbstre » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:20 am

No one from Runic ever said that people who bought the original would get into the beta. That was purely a wish from the fans on the forums. They DID say they wanted to do something special for those who bought the original game, though they never said what.
Webbstre

Postby Destro168 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:29 am

Ah, ok thank you for the response. I must have got confused.
Empty lil' sig
Destro168

Postby StonerMk2 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:19 am

Webbstre wrote:No one from Runic ever said that people who bought the original would get into the beta. That was purely a wish from the fans on the forums. They DID say they wanted to do something special for those who bought the original game, though they never said what.

That's pretty awesome. Kinda interested to know what they could be cooking up for us that bought TL.
StonerMk2

Postby wolfmane » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:16 am

Everyone gets a pony?!?
wolfmane

Postby Paws » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:21 am

wolfmane wrote:Everyone gets a pony?!?

When I dream, I want a pony.

There really isn't much external "beta" testing in a single player game. Generally they'll send out pre-release copies (which may or may not be called a beta) to relevant press outlets. So I'd imagine the gift to the single player crowd will be something tangible in-game. The question's going into the RPGamer interview in a form, so hopefully we'll get a glimpse of an answer.
Reviews and Journalism, RPGamer.com
Zidders wrote:Fyi. Paws isn't a madam. She's a total PIMP.
/swag
Paws

Postby Volcronis » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:21 pm

Now here's my question. How do you get the freaking betas? Because so far my attempts at getting blizzard game betas and those that run along blizzard's path (torchlight for example) have failed. i really dont like to be left out in the dark (i guess that goes for most people) and wait sitting on my arse, thumbs twiddling around. some ppl say that you enter to get it almost like getting picked from those that entered in.
I leave destruction and despair in my wake, my blade thirst for blood and craves for flesh, my staff eager to gorge itself in souls and mana. I walk forward leaving no regrets and leaving no survivors.
Volcronis

Postby Destro168 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:41 pm

Volcronis,

With regards to betas, most are indeed 100% chance based. However, some also have invite systems. I was invited into the HoN beta by a friend very early on. The SCII beta was waiting + luck. Bloodline champions was also just waiting to be sent a key + luck.

In my experience, I enjoy game betas more than the released game usually. I was hoping I could add TL2 to my list of beta tested games :P. Me and some friends would play together via Hamachi.
Empty lil' sig
Destro168

Postby Paws » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:40 pm

With MMOs, it is a combination of opt-in and luck. Some MMOs choose from their community (WarRock/K2 comes to mind) while others choose from existing customers (SOE). Some betas specifically eschew media whenever possible (FFXIV) while others specifically invite the media (Blizzard). Still others give raffles for their beta keys (Pretty much everything ChangYou, most recently Zentia).

When it comes to single player games, like Torchlight, most won't have betas outside of their internal / QA testing teams. If you wanna grab a copy of those games early, generally you have to be a writer or F&F.
Reviews and Journalism, RPGamer.com
Zidders wrote:Fyi. Paws isn't a madam. She's a total PIMP.
/swag
Paws

Postby hawkn » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:49 pm

Yep. VERY few single, and even multiplayer games have open, or even closed betas. So odds are they won't let us test this game, but I'm sure some members of these forums who have game review sites will get a hold of the game a few days early.
...I most certainly am not the meanest person on these forums, I defer that position to hawkn. ~ AMB2010
Runic Games Fansite My Deviant
hawkn

Postby Seph79 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:29 am

Not a pony, no. Word on the street is that you don't get a pony but...an amazing horse...much like this one ....http://www.weebls-stuff.com/songs/Amazing+Horse/
If this were real life, I'd be dead....
Seph79

Postby Destro168 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:02 pm

I think the Runic Staff is going to read this thread and go:

"Hey, Destro seems like a cool guy that doesn't afraid of nothing. I think we should let him beta test out our game because he said that he was a little disappointed with our first release. That way, if we can make him a believer that the sequel is good, we already know that our sequel is far better than our first game. Plus he even has added beta testing experience as a bonus."

Lol, ok that's probably unlikely but I still hope they offer some kind of minimal beta testing that I can opt into. Just being a part of beta tests makes me feel special, which is good for the soul.
Empty lil' sig
Destro168

Postby gluemchen » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:41 pm

Realease TL2 as an open beta with act 1 only. Like a pre demo.
gluemchen

Postby hawkn » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:53 pm

gluemchen wrote:Realease TL2 as an open beta with act 1 only. Like a pre demo.

Unlikely.
...I most certainly am not the meanest person on these forums, I defer that position to hawkn. ~ AMB2010
Runic Games Fansite My Deviant
hawkn

Postby Tanuki » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:13 pm

Seph79 wrote:Not a pony, no. Word on the street is that you don't get a pony but...an amazing horse...much like this one ....http://www.weebls-stuff.com/songs/Amazing+Horse/

I'd prefer something more exotic
Tanuki

Postby adoomgod » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:18 am

Friend wants to know if they bought TL now would they still get the something special, because they didn't want TL without multiplayer but they want TL2.
I put the "DOOM" in "Sexy."
adoomgod

Postby Zidders » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:30 am

If your friend buys Torchlight now, they do indeed get somethign special...a really great single player game that also has a lot of great mods available for it (have him check out the Runic games fansite or look up torchleech). Just because it's single player doesn't mean it's a bad game, and I can't imagine that one spends every game-playing moment playing it with other people.

If so....man, he's missing out on a great game, so are all the other people who didn't get it just because it didn't have multiplayer. Have him get the free demo, either from steam or from Runic.
Zidders

Postby adoomgod » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:05 am

No he knows it's good but he argues he can play at my house or my other friends houses. His only consideration in getting himself is to mess with moddings and if there is still time to get the something special runic promised people would get in TL2 if they bought TL1.
adoomgod

Postby ThndrShk2k » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:10 pm

Beta is far off anyway, if they're releasing early 2011, then beta would be around the end of the year, beginning 2011.

Worms: Reloaded from Team17 recently had a beta thing through steam, which is a great system for managing and making sure the beta doesn't somehow leak out(although still possible, it's more manageable). While I know Runic Games has other vendors they release through, Steam users are a big part of their player-base.
TL2 Dwarven Class Mod Discussion
Current Goal: Milestone 1 - Model Insertion
ThndrShk2k

Postby adoomgod » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:02 pm

The only thing that intrigues me bout the beta would be if i could load my beta character into the game, otherwise I could wait to play the full version.
adoomgod

Next

Return to Torchlight II General Discussion