Torchlight 2 for owners of Torchlight 1

Hardcore Discussion :: Guild Discussion

Torchlight 2 for owners of Torchlight 1

Postby vileguy » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:09 pm

I purchased Torchlight pretty much as soon as I heard about it. I think it was technically a preorder. I read that it was a singleplayer game, but that multiplayer was in the works. I then came to find that several days after I purchased the game, the company posted that the multiplayer version was going to be a separate release. The only reason I bought this game was because I was promised multiplayer in the future, but it was not clear at the time of my purchase that this was going to be an additional purchase. I am not much of a singleplayer gamer; ever since I started playing games online with others, this is all I do with little exception. I certainly would not have purchased Torchlight if there was no promise of multiplayer.

Now I played Torchlight 1 for a few hours, maybe 10, and it was a fairly fun game, but it was also pretty disappointing. If it were multiplayer, I probably would have gotten my money's worth and been relatively pleased, but I had some problems with the game's system and it couldn't keep me interested when I'd rather play other games with friends.

My question is: will there be any subscription fee for the game, and is there any discount on the $20 purchase price of the game for owners of Torchlight? $20 isn't a lot of money for Torchlight 2, and $40 is still cheap for a multiplayers game, but I can't help but feel like I was deceived into purchasing Torchlight.
vileguy

Re: Torchlight 2 for owners of Torchlight 1

Postby DarkTails » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:29 pm

TL2 is going to be a third the price of most games nowadays, I don't know how a 66% discount for such a huge game isn't enough xD

I guess you could wait a few months and there might be a sale on Steam or something.

Also, no subscription fees, $20 and you play all you want to your heart's content.
DarkTails

Postby prestige » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:37 pm

vileguy wrote:I purchased Torchlight pretty much as soon as I heard about it. I think it was technically a preorder. I read that it was a singleplayer game, but that multiplayer was in the works. I then came to find that several days after I purchased the game, the company posted that the multiplayer version was going to be a separate release. The only reason I bought this game was because I was promised multiplayer in the future, but it was not clear at the time of my purchase that this was going to be an additional purchase. I am not much of a singleplayer gamer; ever since I started playing games online with others, this is all I do with little exception. I certainly would not have purchased Torchlight if there was no promise of multiplayer.

If you believed Torchlight I had multiplayer, it was your misunderstanding. Runic never "promised" such a thing. Runic stated that they planned to make an MMO (a separate game) after the release of the single player game. That was 100% clear. You were not "deceived."
The Basement My random mini-dungeon mod
Here comes Leviathan! Starch 2 mod
prestige

Postby hawkn » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:33 pm

Yeah, the only party at fault here is you. It was very clear that TL1 did not have multiplayer.
...I most certainly am not the meanest person on these forums, I defer that position to hawkn. ~ AMB2010
Runic Games Fansite My Deviant
hawkn

Postby outspokened » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:46 pm

hawkn wrote:Yeah, the only party at fault here is you. It was very clear that TL1 did not have multiplayer.
and to add, not that I want to be rude or anything, $19.99 for a quality game is just beyond me...I mean compare it to the other Steam titles for the same price...I believe I've had my money's worth well spent at 20 dollars and It's still on my laptop for two or so years now. I believe Runic got ripped off by that price but then again that's Runic being nice to everyone's budget <3 :lol:
Stop making Torchlight 2 a Diablo 3 wannabe, stop asking why it's not competitive. Shut up and enjoy the damn game.
outspokened

Postby Zidders » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:51 pm

You weren't decieved, you just didn't do your research well enough. Not their fault. As far as you not liking the game..there WAS a demo, you had a chance to play it before you bought it.Again, if you'd bothered to look things up and do some research before you bought something, you wouldn't feel like you wasted $20.

As far as being promised multiplayer...no, we weren't. It was always promoted as a single player, with the devs stating that they would be working on an MMO at some point after the single player game came out. Plans change.

You're getting a great single player game, a great multiplayer game, and possibly a great free to play MMO at some point. Ever heard of the phrase 'looking a gift horse in the mouth"?
Last edited by Zidders on Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zidders

Postby Webbstre » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:52 pm

Going to parrot the others and say that unfortunately it was your own mistake.

Torchlight 1 = Single Player, moddable
Torchlight 2 = Multiplayer, moddable
Torchlight MMO = Massively Multiplayer, no mods, secure servers.
Your support has saved Runic Games Fansite and has given it at least another year on life! Thank you, and be sure to visit RGF for all your Torchlight series needs!
Webbstre

Postby Omnifas » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:58 pm

No one was deceived since the MMO which will probably still be F2P will "eventually" come. So even if you were correct and you were "promised" free Multiplayer, they still haven't broke that promise.

The MMO hasn't been cancelled yet.
Omnifas

Postby Jerich » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:14 pm

If $20.00 is out of your pricerange there will likely be a steam sale within the first 6 months for $10.00. Just watch for it.
Jerich

Postby RizzRustbolt » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:37 pm

Webbstre wrote:Torchlight 1 = Single Player, moddable
Torchlight 2 = Multiplayer, moddable
Torchlight MMO = Massively Multiplayer, no mods, secure servers.

Torchlight 3 = Return of the Dwarves-i
..(>'o')> (::) <('o'<)..
"Using them for wickedness would be like beating a unicorn to death with a bag of rainbows..."
"There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs!"
RizzRustbolt

Postby SamuelMarston » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:47 pm

Really? Someone tricked you into purchasing a singleplayer game?
SamuelMarston

Postby outspokened » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:52 pm

Isn't it like 15 dollars now I just remembered? Torchlight 1 is 15 dollars now according to the Runic Mainsite
Stop making Torchlight 2 a Diablo 3 wannabe, stop asking why it's not competitive. Shut up and enjoy the damn game.
outspokened

Postby hawkn » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:49 pm

I believe it's still $20 on Steam, but I picked it up for like $2.50 for a friend not long ago...
...I most certainly am not the meanest person on these forums, I defer that position to hawkn. ~ AMB2010
Runic Games Fansite My Deviant
hawkn

Postby Webbstre » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:53 pm

Your support has saved Runic Games Fansite and has given it at least another year on life! Thank you, and be sure to visit RGF for all your Torchlight series needs!
Webbstre

Postby vileguy » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:09 pm

You can say what you want, but I spent hours researching it before I bought Torchlight. It was made very clear that the game did not have multiplayer, and it was also made very clear that they were working on multiplayer for torchlight.

In contrast, it was not made clear that the multiplayer that was in development would require an additional purchase, let alone that it would be a separate title. This was posted a while after I made my preorder. There also was no playable demo when I bought the game. I've already said that $20 isn't a lot and neither is $40, but I have no idea of how much content is in Torchlight 2 so I can't know if it's a "huge" game, nor do I know if it's quality. I didn't care much for Torchlight 1; as a big Diablo fan, I found it to be a poorly done clone of a diablo clone (see Fate). There were many things I didn't like about the game. Now I wouldn't say it wasn't worth the $20, just that I didn't want to buy a singleplayer only game. I bought it with the belief that I would be able to take advantage of multiplayer in the future. I was not under the impression that this was to be a separate release, and it was not clearly stated that it was at the time of my purchase.

I don't expect any discount, the price is fair, I was asking if there would be one. It is also not my fault that I was under the impression the game was going to have multiplayer added in, it was the fault of misleading advertising. It would be nice if there was some reward for players who purchased Torchlight 1, even if it's just a cosmetic item.
vileguy

Postby Webbstre » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:22 pm

I can find no further way to respond without making it sound unintentionally insulting, so I'm just going to leave it at: http://www.google.com/search?gcx=w&ix=c ... ultiplayer
Webbstre

Postby Paws » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:24 pm

I can't find anywhere it was advertised beyond "multiplayer could be modded in with enough creative people behind it." Mind you, I also couldn't give a full list of the number of sites, reviews, and player discussion that derided the game for not having multiplayer and citing it as a reason for the reason not to buy it except pasting in a google link. I'm sorry you made a mistake, but there's no award currently planned for TL vets.

Edit: Dang, Webb beat me to the link idea!
Reviews and Journalism, RPGamer.com
Zidders wrote:Fyi. Paws isn't a madam. She's a total PIMP.
/swag
Paws

Postby Perictione » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:26 pm

Paws wrote:...but there's no award currently planned for TL vets.

Ah ha ha ha ha ha :lol:

Classic. Absolutely classic. You've made my evening!

- P.
I guess I'm gonna have to up and kill ya even if yer already dead, Zombie-boy

Vanquishers: All our lines are busy at the moment, please hold the line and a customer service representative will be with you shortly...
Perictione

Postby Metro » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:35 pm

vileguy wrote:You can say what you want, but I spent hours researching it before I bought Torchlight. It was made very clear that the game did not have multiplayer, and it was also made very clear that they were working on multiplayer for torchlight.

Baloney. At no time did any developer say anything like that at all. Only fans/players were suggesting/wishing for it.
Metro

Postby Zidders » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:36 pm

vileguy wrote: It would be nice if there was some reward for players who purchased Torchlight 1

There is, you're getting a $40-50 sequel four times the size of the original that comes WITH multiplayer for $20 (even less if you get it on sale).

Oh, and btw, from Runics official Torchlight website FAQ

http://www.torchlightgame.com/faq/#faq16
"Q: Will I be able to play Torchlight online?

A: Because of the relatively short development window and tiny development team, we decide to focus our efforts on making a complete single-player experience. However, we are already in development of a massively multiplayer action-RPG set in the world of Torchlight for future release."
Yeah...very, very sneaky of them to hide that info in plain sight like that.
Zidders

Next

Return to Torchlight II General Discussion