what do you think its the biggest different between TL & D

Hardcore Discussion :: Guild Discussion

what do you think its the biggest different between TL & D

Postby Cinur » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:35 am

yes, torchlight and diable are two different games in a lots ways.
but the biggest different to me is their graphic style.

what are you guys thought on this?
Cinur

Re: what do you think its the biggest different between TL &

Postby carrierx » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:44 am

Graphic style is a big one. I have not played TL2 so I cant say anything about the gameplay. If its anything like TL1, it feels more natural and less disconnected than the D3 beta does. Time will tell.

The $20 price point is beginning to be really significant. Judging by the screenshots, I think you are getting a ton more than 1/3 of D3.
I need to see Stanos
carrierx

Postby westwood » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:47 am

if its TL2 & D3 I would say biggest difference is TL2 does NOT require internet to play single player game
westwood

Postby laharl9999 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:55 am

- OFFLINE play
I want to be able to play without internet connection.

- No RMAH
It's a loot game, real money mustn't be introduced in this kind of game otherwise there is less real reward of acquering an item when you know somebody will have it buying.Moreover I have the feeling that blizzard will "force us" to buy more and more things, services that they will slowly add month after months : just read daeity blog : stash size, experience gain potions, cosmetic changes, gold find radius...
Blizzard wants to make as much money as possible and when you have played a game for years you are ready to spend more and more money on it.I fear Diablo 3 might become a kind of free-to-play with cash shop or pay-to-play...

-UPDATES and NERFS
Building a strategy to minmaxing a character, skills, equipments without fear of constant updates and nerfs.
I don't want to begin building a character and on month after the game is uptaded, skill power changed, new items introduced which render my current build worthless.

-MODS
Of course if Torched is improved there will be a lot of awesome mod increasing game replayability years after the game is released
laharl9999

Postby Aeox » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:47 am

laharl9999 wrote:- OFFLINE play

- No RMAH
It's a loot game, real money mustn't be introduced in this kind of game otherwise there is less real reward of acquering an item when you know somebody will have it buying.Moreover I have the feeling that blizzard will "force us" to buy more and more things, services that they will slowly add month after months : just read daeity blog : stash size, experience gain potions, cosmetic changes, gold find radius...
Blizzard wants to make as much money as possible and when you have played a game for years you are ready to spend more and more money on it.I fear Diablo 3 might become a kind of free-to-play with cash shop or pay-to-play...

-UPDATES and NERFS
Building a strategy to minmaxing a character, skills, equipments without fear of constant updates and nerfs.
I don't want to begin building a character and on month after the game is uptaded, skill power changed, new items introduced which render my current build worthless.

-MODS
Of course if Torched is improved there will be a lot of awesome mod increasing game replayability years after the game is released

I understand points one and two as they are common fighting battles, however your 3rd and 4th points contradict eachother completely.

I dont think Diablo III will be anything like WoW with content updates, you can be sure of that. Secondly mods cause alot more change with the game compared to "developer updates" this is certain.
This does not mean mods or bad or good, they are in a completely different ball park and are USER BASED. You can choose to use them if you want to, if not you can just play what you paid $20 for.
Aeox

Postby DocSun » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:47 am

What makes it for me is the Offline and LAN modes. Perfect for time for myself and my buddies. That plus encouraging us to mod is always a nice thing to see, my buddies and I may end up over playing this more than D3.
DocSun

Postby Derekffs » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:07 am

Aeox wrote:

- No RMAH

-UPDATES and NERFS

-MODS

I understand points one and two as they are common fighting battles, however your 3rd and 4th points contradict eachother completely.

I dont think Diablo III will be anything like WoW with content updates, you can be sure of that. Secondly mods cause alot more change with the game compared to "developer updates" this is certain.
This does not mean mods or bad or good, they are in a completely different ball park and are USER BASED. You can choose to use them if you want to, if not you can just play what you paid $20 for.

Wrong. A game like this with good mod tools and a mod community can make hundreds of classes and multiable new levels. On a hard mmo thats subscription that would be true, but on a arpg that will have around 100,000 modders, I think it will add more content. So far as single player, torchlight will be better then diablo 3. But for over the internet I think the secure economy will make diablo be funner.
Derekffs

Postby laharl9999 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:12 am

Aeox wrote:I understand points one and two as they are common fighting battles, however your 3rd and 4th points contradict eachother completely.

If you don't want to use mods you don't.
I only use mods after completing the game and minmaxing exactly the characters and equipment as I planned.
Contrary to updates and nerfs which are not chosen when you play an online game.
My points doesn't contradict each others !
TL2 will have patches to correct bugs or add small content but it will not be as sensible as in MMOs or as in Diablo 3.
laharl9999

Postby Aeox » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:29 am

Derekffs wrote:
Aeox wrote:

- No RMAH

-UPDATES and NERFS

-MODS

Wrong. A game like this with good mod tools and a mod community can make hundreds of classes and multiable new levels. On a hard mmo thats subscription that would be true, but on a arpg that will have around 100,000 modders, I think it will add more content. So far as single player, torchlight will be better then diablo 3. But for over the internet I think the secure economy will make diablo be funner.

This is exactly what I said why wrong?
Aeox

Postby ombra » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:12 am

For me it is the speed, TL2 seems to be way more fast paced than D3 besides a lot of other differences.
Former Forum Nicks
Hellgate London: Pumpkinnose
Mythos: Sanguefreddo
ombra

Postby automated » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:21 am

Biggest diiference for me.......

One is developed by Runic, and one isn't.
automated

Postby LegionXIII » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:24 am

Diablo 3 will have less hacking while Torchlight 2 will be full of it unless Runic can grab a couple of servers off Perfect World and make a closed battlenet like system.
LegionXIII

Postby Perictione » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:49 am

LegionXIII wrote:Diablo 3 will have less hacking while Torchlight 2 will be full of it unless Runic can grab a couple of servers off Perfect World...

This may be true; this may be untrue.

Personally, I intend on playing the game with folks I feel I can trust or stick to my own LAN. Hackers can try their best to upset this - much like hackers will inevitably tamper with and upset B.Net....

(I mean, really, hackers love challenges. They can't resist 'em any more than Americans can resist the allure of all you can eat buffets. And if they can break into a secure server at the Pentagon - as they're alleged to have over the years - d'ya think Blizzard's system will be that much more secure than that of my own? Again maybe, maybe not)

....But that's just a sad fact of the digital world. Ya pays yer money, ya takes yer chances. Me, I'll happily admit my bias and suggest the biggest difference between 'Torchlight 2' and 'Diablo 3' will not be security, speed of play, "funnerness", developer-maintained real money auction houses, the ability to mod or not, and so on and so on. The biggest difference is that I'll be playing 'Torchlight 2' and not 'Diablo 3'.

Of course, the question becomes 'Why should you care what I play?' My answer is, you shouldn't. Nor should any one else.

Fact is, everyone has their preferences and their likes and dislikes. And that's all there is to that, you know? As for thinking one game is superior to another, that's simply a statement of preference... and so it's a discussion that can only be an exchange of views, not one that's winnable.

That said, I'm always interested to read the posts that are made in threads like this as the opinions of people are always interesting!

- P.
I guess I'm gonna have to up and kill ya even if yer already dead, Zombie-boy

Vanquishers: All our lines are busy at the moment, please hold the line and a customer service representative will be with you shortly...
Perictione

Postby laharl9999 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:54 am

LegionXIII wrote:Diablo 3 will have less hacking while Torchlight 2 will be full of it unless Runic can grab a couple of servers off Perfect World and make a closed battlenet like system.

Just to say there is now a way to dupe items in the Diablo 3 RMAH...
Maybe this will be patched but you might also consider buying items a way of cheating in Diablo3...
laharl9999

Postby RizzRustbolt » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:07 am

Fun and Silliness.

Blizzard's made it abundantly clear that they'll be having none of that.
..(>'o')> (::) <('o'<)..
"Using them for wickedness would be like beating a unicorn to death with a bag of rainbows..."
"There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs!"
RizzRustbolt

Postby turnipz » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:38 am

Visuals: This one is pretty obvious, torchlight is a lot brighter, hopefully less resource intensive.

Less scripting: I think runics decided to do it classic arpg style, more time put into cool environments rather than scripted events, which I think most people find rather annoying and less immersible in the end. Look at duke nukem classic vs duke nukem forever, not exactly an improvement; much more controlling and predictable.

Widespread skills: Blizzard is leaning more towards micromanagement and balance it seems, we have timers put on everything, skills are capped to affect a smaller area, resources are limited. I think torchlight is doing away with this a lot and leaning towards fun rather than manufactured strategy, while I haven't played it yet from the videos it appears we will have a lot more action and a lot more fun wiping out hordes.
turnipz

Postby coldbomber » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:54 am

how long is D3 going to be any way i heard TL2 was going to be 30+ for one single play through. (not including new game plus)
coldbomber

Postby MeVe » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:15 am

coldbomber wrote:how long is D3 going to be any way i heard TL2 was going to be 30+ for one single play through. (not including new game plus)

Probably around the same but D3 will offer 4 level of difficult, so you have to complete the game 4 times and than hunt for gear.
Reaching end-game with TL2 I guess will be faster.
Lack of secure server ( atleast for character saves ) is the biggest disappoint I have on TL2, I'm going still to buy the game and play it but I'm sure at some point it will turn me off ( hoping runic change idea about it )
MeVe

Postby Queench » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:26 am

I think its just the biggest different is blizzard - runics/ if blizzard will make tl 2 now people will talk like tl2 is 100 times better then d3 not like now.
Its like highly costing cars of just becouse its mercedes or bmw or just like high costing clothes from d&g gucci and others.
Queench

Postby WreakingHavoc » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:40 am

There is alot of difference, they are actually completely different games.
Comparison is pointless. Diablo 3 Guide
Last edited by BrianW on Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: not a hundred percent sure if this is a bot, so i've removed the link as a compromise, but left the post. if it's a real person, then the poster can come back later and justify it. :P
WreakingHavoc

Next

Return to Torchlight II General Discussion