Skill Calculator?

Hardcore Discussion :: Guild Discussion

Re: Skill Calculator?

Postby DarkTails » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:46 am

...you can change your stats using the console.
DarkTails

Postby FrostyNinja » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:48 am

FluffyMittens wrote:Hey Runic, any chance that you guys could put out a skill calculator sometime before the release, or even after? I love playing with calculators looking at all the different possible builds I can make. Just wondering :D

If, by any chance, I round up being in the beta, I'll make sure to put one up on my site as soon as possible.
FrostyNinja

Postby Teppec » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:51 am

Please understand. This is a game being made by a team of maybe 30 people or so.

Let them focus on making the greatest ARPG ever :) They are already working hard, doing lots of nights and weekends.

Skill calc is fun for a few hours, but I'm sure we'll live without it.
Teppec

Postby Webbstre » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:11 am

Once the beta is out we'll have one up on RGF as well. Taylor Balbi (who made the original one on the old Torchlight Insider site) whipped up the code for us. It's just waiting for data now. Precious, precious data...
Administrator of The Original Runic Games Fansite - News - Forums - Torchlight 1 Mods - Torchlight 2 Mods - Wiki - IRC Chat - HotSpot - and more!
Webbstre

Postby Syl » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:32 am

nice, can't wait to see it :)
Syl

Postby Rusty » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:54 am

The calculators are super helpful, especially for those who feel like it is a waste to throw points into something and then realize it didn't help in the long run. It can also take away the need to respec so much. Glad you will host this.
Rusty

Postby FluffyMittens » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:38 am

From what I have seen syl all the skills are unique. But that brings me to another question I have about the skills. Alot of the skills i have seen seem to base their damage off of fixed damage associated with the level of that skill. The problem I have with this is that sooner or later as you keep playing you will reach the point where the monsters keep getting stronger but your skills dont because they are already maxed. After a while those types of skills soon become useless. This worries me with what I have seen with the skills so far because a lot of them have fixed damage like that but also the ones that are based off of your characters dps are extremely low like 20%. My worries is that if they dont somehow change or adjust how the skills scale that late into the game or maybe on playthrough 2 all your skills will slowly become too weak forcing you to rely mostly on your standard attack which we all know cant get you very far on higher difficulties. This was kind of a problem in T1. Some of the skills were too weak in the end because they were already maxed with no way to increase there damage or effectiveness as the enemies grew stronger.
FluffyMittens

Postby xani » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:22 am

There are problems with both ways:
* If you have % of DPS as skill, you have to increase it with skill points and if you have 15 skill points it's hard to balance "low end" in a way that adding more than one point feels worthwhile
If "magic missile" have 100% of weap. dmg and each point adds 10% (so at end its 250% weap. DPS).. why player would want to use more than 1 point ? put one point and put rest in passives

* If you do flat dmg, hard to scale at high end, also builds heavily focused on spamming skills it encourages to completely ignore offensive stats and just build defense and get all DPS from skills

The best would be probably both, some static dmg + 10% of DPS or sth like that

D3 doesn't have that problem because skills in D3 does not have levels so they can just use pure %
But tbh I'd wait for more info, skills could change A LOT since last runic event
xani

Postby Syl » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:45 am

@FluffyMittens: I think missed the fact that skill damage is based on a % of weapon damage.
it means you skill damage scales with your weapon damage, the better weapon you get, the more damage your skill does.
Syl

Postby FluffyMittens » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:41 pm

Hmm yea thats true. Now that you mention it most of the skills did have both. That does seem to be the best route for skills which can be leveled. But still games in the past that had skills which relied entirely on static damage modifiers which scaled with levels became somewhat obsolete near the end of the game or second playthrough. Im really hoping this doesnt happen in T2. But honestly i have faith in runic. They seem to have come a very long ways since the days of T1 and I think they know what their doing with the skills. Also the info I was looking at was pretty dang old and I highly doubt that its the same any more.
FluffyMittens

Postby Syl » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:35 pm

Agreed, that's why they changed it.
Now you can use a 2H sword with your wizard and deal some nice damage ^^
Attack speed also has an impact on skills, I don't know if it works with channeled skills though.
Syl

Postby dreamrider » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:32 am

Syl,
The Skills have been largely/totally (subject to change) published on the official site.

They are completely different from the TL1 Skills and Skill trees, in keeping with the 4 completely new character types.

dreamrider
dreamrider

Postby ombra » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:17 pm

Webbstre wrote:Once the beta is out we'll have one up on RGF as well. Taylor Balbi (who made the original one on the old Torchlight Insider site) whipped up the code for us. It's just waiting for data now. Precious, precious data...

Awesome I can't wait for a calculator too... I would also love to a new video showing the actual development of the skills.
Former Forum Nicks
Hellgate London: Pumpkinnose
Mythos: Sanguefreddo
ombra

Previous

Return to Torchlight II General Discussion