Will there be Gamepad-Support?

Hardcore Discussion :: Guild Discussion

Will there be Gamepad-Support?

Postby Galrikh » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:57 am

Hi,

I am new here and want to ask a question :)

I played Torchlight 1 on the PC, but I couldn't play it long because I couldn't play it good with the keyboard and Mouse, don't know why, but it was uncomfortable for me. After you released it on Xbox Live Arcade I bought the game again and I loved it to play with the Xbox 360-Pad, that was perfect! Like it should be!

Will Torchlight 2 on PC support the Xbox 360-Gamepad? I hope so, really really hope so. Please say yes
Galrikh

Re: Will there be Gamepad-Support?

Postby DapperDab » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:10 am

I know there is software out there for such things but I honestly couldn't imagine playing an ARPG with my 360 controller. I use it for a lot of stuff but shooters and arpg games is kind of where I have to stop with it.

I'm imagining that they should be able to have it work with the 360 controller at least on Windows, most games that support the 360 also support the 360 controller on Windows. However, I don't know if they rolled their own input system or used one so I can't tell you if they support it or not. :p If I remember correctly, the last input system I used in Ogre3D had native support for my 360 controller.

However, I only run wired controllers and actually picked up a razer controller for my fps needs on the 360 which i use for a few pc games. I think to do wireless, you need some silly adapter.
DapperDab

Postby Galrikh » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:24 am

If you play long enough with Gamepads you could play Shooters better with Pad then with Keyboard and Mouse, like me ;)

And I know how I connect the Xbox360-pad on the PC, no panic ;) I play with them on the PS3, too, with Adapter

I only want direct support for the Pad in the game. I have Xpadder, too, but this is sometimes a little fiddly and not always useable. Diablo 3 (go to hell, bad game) is the best example
Galrikh

Postby DapperDab » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:28 am

Galrikh wrote:If you play long enough with Gamepads you could play Shooters better with Pad then with Keyboard and Mouse, like me ;)

And I know how I connect the Xbox360-pad on the PC, no panic ;) I play with them on the PS3, too, with Adapter

I only want direct support for the Pad in the game. I have Xpadder, too, but this is sometimes a little fiddly and not always useable. Diablo 3 (go to hell, bad game) is the best example

Xpadder was something I was going to suggest. There's another option though, it's paid.

However, I disagree with playing better with a controller. I have more precision with a mouse. :p It's a fact. I have a really nice 360 controller which I wreck people with on the 360 but you will never beat my counter-strike friends with a 360 controller on the pc. :p

Anyways, I think the best option is making suggestions for 360 controller support. It's not that hard, I just did it in a little open source project I'm working on. If you feel passionate about it and others, mention and and if it's not there, they'll add it I would hope. :p
DapperDab

Postby Kurrus » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:01 am

The developers have said a few times the game would have (at least initially) mouse support only with keys for skills and menus. Full keyboard support (for movement) has been said to be much harder to design code-wise and implement than it may appear, for relatively small results (the majority of the playerbase would stick with mouse), so they're letting that pass.

Adapting the game to gamepads would require a power of the work needed to adapt the game for full keyboard support. In fact, they'd need to remake the entire interface and mess with quite a few different gameplay mechanics. They've also said the first thing they're going to do once the game is out will be a Mac port, which will take some time.

In conclusion: unfortunately for you, Runic most likely aren't going to bring gamepad support to TL2 on the PC ever. You could wait for a possible XBLA port, but due to memory issues the possibility of this remains uncertain. Your best bet would be using this long, agonizing period of wait before TL2 arrives to get yourself comfortable with the keyboard+mouse configuration - or stick with the original TL on the Xbox.
Kurrus

Postby Webbstre » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:54 am

Kurrus wrote:In conclusion: unfortunately for you, Runic most likely aren't going to bring gamepad support to TL2 on the PC ever. You could wait for a possible XBLA port, but due to memory issues the possibility of this remains uncertain. Your best bet would be using this long, agonizing period of wait before TL2 arrives to get yourself comfortable with the keyboard+mouse configuration - or stick with the original TL on the Xbox.

That pretty much sums it up.
Administrator of The Original Runic Games Fansite - News - Forums - Torchlight 1 Mods - Torchlight 2 Mods - Wiki - IRC Chat - HotSpot - and more!
Webbstre

Postby Galrikh » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:56 am

Damned, now I'm sad. In a Beta-preview of the german gamezine "PC Games" on the DVD, they said the control of the game is a little bit overloaded.

I know I will buy the game and I hope I will get in the control of the game with keyboard and mouse.

I will try it with xpadder first, that#s what I say you! ;)
Galrikh

Postby Saethori » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:19 am

I'm very comfortable with controller usage, so playing games with a keyboard-and-mouse setup is virtually impossible for me.

...Using a trackball instead of a mouse, on the other hand, feels comfortable enough that I have absolutely no problems with it.

(As a downside, though, there are so ridiculously few wired trackballs that are any good. They all got discontinued for some reason.)
Saethori

Return to Torchlight II General Discussion