Specific Question About LAN Play

Hardcore Discussion :: Guild Discussion

Specific Question About LAN Play

Postby ncielieska » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:37 am

All,

Thanks in advance. I'm faced with the following scenario. I want to play TL2 with my two kids. We have three computers in the house and the only time they will be playing the game is when I play with them using the LAN option at our house. One caveat though is that we will interchange between the computers. Sometimes I'll be on Computer A, Sometimes Computer B. What is the most efficient way to satisfy these requirements in the least amount of cost what would I have to do to have all three of us play interchanging computers? I'm hesitant to spend the $59.99 for the 4 copy preorder because they won't be playing it as much to warrant setting up a steam account for them for that purpose only. I will do this if I have to but I just a definitive answer before I drop that coin. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks..
ncielieska

Re: Specific Question About LAN Play

Postby travisbaldree » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:40 am

Well, if you want, you can also buy a copy from our site tomorrow, which will allow you 10 unlocks. You can then just use one copy, and unlock it on all 3 computers.
You'll have to manually copy saves between them if you're skipping from machine to machine ( no Steamcloud in that circumstance ), but it's certainly the most cost-effective way to go.
Bear in mind that this also means you get no Achievements-
travisbaldree
Runic Staff

Postby gold163 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:42 am

buy ONE copy from Runic, and use three license keys for three different computers. All three of you can play on LAN at the same time. Only one will be able to play on the internet at a time, however.
gold163

Postby FlamingPhoenix » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:42 am

travisbaldree wrote:You'll have to manually copy saves between them if you're skipping from machine to machine ( no Steamcloud in that circumstance ),

Heard there was a service on the net that did something similar...can't remember the name of it though.....
FlamingPhoenix

Postby travisbaldree » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:43 am

Yes, thanks for mentioning that, I forgot - you get only one online account per purchase, so be aware of that. LAN and singleplayer do not require an online account.
travisbaldree
Runic Staff

Postby ncielieska » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:50 am

Thanks for the insight, I like the idea of achievements and game saves to the steam cloud so we can just login to Steam to get our respective characters. The game is worth $59.99.

Thanks again.
ncielieska

Postby gold163 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:56 am

FlamingPhoenix wrote:Heard there was a service on the net that did something similar...can't remember the name of it though.....

There are plenty of cloud file services such as Drop Box, Google Drive, and Microsoft Sky Drive. The caveat is, of course, that you need the internet to access them first, but then I believe you can set any folder to automatically save to the cloud.
gold163

Postby Barold » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:57 am

travisbaldree wrote:Well, if you want, you can also buy a copy from our site tomorrow, which will allow you 10 unlocks. You can then just use one copy, and unlock it on all 3 computers.

Pointing out the warm inner glow I feel from a mod explaining that you don't have to buy 3 copies of their game. No less than I expect from this team, but vastly more than I'd expect anywhere else. Especially the day before release when they're probably a *little* busy.
Barold

Postby Chthon » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:08 pm

Barold wrote:
travisbaldree wrote:Well, if you want, you can also buy a copy from our site tomorrow, which will allow you 10 unlocks. You can then just use one copy, and unlock it on all 3 computers.

Pointing out the warm inner glow I feel from a mod explaining that you don't have to buy 3 copies of their game. No less than I expect from this team, but vastly more than I'd expect anywhere else. Especially the day before release when they're probably a *little* busy.

No kidding.
Torchlight 2 Rapid Respec - Putting the "hack" in "hack-n-slash"
StashNinja - INFINITE Stash for Torchlight 2
NullMod - Play together in the same multiplayer game with different mods!
Chthon

Postby gerdez » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:34 pm

travisbaldree wrote:Bear in mind that this also means you get no Achievements-

Nooooooo!!!! :,(
Toons: Jagermeister | Motorhead
Transmute even more, including fish! --> Hermetix Mod
gerdez

Postby deoxys » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:43 pm

gold163 wrote:buy ONE copy from Runic, and use three license keys for three different computers. All three of you can play on LAN at the same time. Only one will be able to play on the internet at a time, however.

This is probably what I want to do but how do you get multiple licence keys for lan play ?? or do you mean use the same licence key on all 3 computers but only one of them will be able to go online at the same time ?

also are achievements the only difference between steam and regular version ?
deoxys

Postby ObiRobKenobi » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:58 pm

deoxys wrote:
gold163 wrote:buy ONE copy from Runic, and use three license keys for three different computers. All three of you can play on LAN at the same time. Only one will be able to play on the internet at a time, however.

This is probably what I want to do but how do you get multiple licence keys for lan play ?? or do you mean use the same licence key on all 3 computers but only one of them will be able to go online at the same time ?

also are achievements the only difference between steam and regular version ?

You don't need "license keys". You can activate the single copy of the game up to 10 times. You can play all of those copies at the same time on LAN or Single Player. The only thing that is linked to each individual copy is your Runic Account which is only needed for Online multiplayer.
ObiRobKenobi

Postby gold163 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:01 pm

Sorry -- just to reiterate, the language I used was incorrect. I apologize for the confusion this may have caused.
gold163

Postby ObiRobKenobi » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:09 pm

Nah, you're good. I'm just glad you understand.
ObiRobKenobi

Return to Torchlight II General Discussion