Difficulty in multiplayer?

Forum for discussing Torchlight II.

Difficulty in multiplayer?

Postby Kyuushuu » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:03 pm

Hey guys, I've got a group of friends together to play some torchlight 2 :D .

However, I can't seem to find the answer to one thing: Does difficulty scale in multiplayer? Will I need to set it to the hardest difficulty to get any challenge at all with multiple people, or will it scale based on the amount of people?
Kyuushuu

Re: Difficulty in multiplayer?

Postby BlueGod » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:10 pm

I'm sure if you or anyone that creates a game online you be able to choose the setting you want to play on.

"If you didn't know,ya best be asking somebody"
BlueGod

Postby GuardTower » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:26 pm

Kyuushuu wrote:Hey guys, I've got a group of friends together to play some torchlight 2 :D .

However, I can't seem to find the answer to one thing: Does difficulty scale in multiplayer? Will I need to set it to the hardest difficulty to get any challenge at all with multiple people, or will it scale based on the amount of people?

yes.. the more players are in a party the harder the game it tends to be

from my POV i think it goes up 1 notch higher per player

so if you set up a veteran mode multiplayer.. it will become Elite in 2 player... and god hells know how difficult in 6players

i think i watch or read this in one article that its recommende that you just stick to the 4 man party... having a 6man is still viable but its going to be one hell of a punishment
GuardTower

Postby PatrickB » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:29 pm

It does, but you all need to be within a proximity to each other for it to kick in. That way if people on the same server are spread out doing different things, it doesn't inhibit them from soloing if they wish.
PatrickB
Runic Staff

Postby vibrant » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:35 pm

It depends on what exactly you mean by difficulty. The monsters have more health, but they don't appear to hit harder... and playing in a group is much easier than soloing. The group I was playing hardcore elite with finally got to act 2 (yay!), and we all found it MUCH easier to play together, than solo (melee can tank so that the ranged guys can unleash hell, and each melee guy finds that the other players distract some of the monsters so they don't ALL go after just him)
vibrant

Postby GuardTower » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:54 pm

PatrickB wrote:It does, but you all need to be within a proximity to each other for it to kick in. That way if people on the same server are spread out doing different things, it doesn't inhibit them from soloing if they wish.

is there an estimated range for the elastic difficulty to kick in?

like if both are in the same map, how far should we be with each other inorder for the difficulty to ramp up?
GuardTower

Postby PatrickB » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:59 pm

GuardTower wrote:
PatrickB wrote:It does, but you all need to be within a proximity to each other for it to kick in. That way if people on the same server are spread out doing different things, it doesn't inhibit them from soloing if they wish.

is there an estimated range for the elastic difficulty to kick in?

like if both are in the same map, how far should we be with each other inorder for the difficulty to ramp up?

They should be roughly on the same screen, or just off.
PatrickB
Runic Staff

Return to Torchlight II General Discussion