Change difficulty on the fly?

Forum for discussing Torchlight II.

Change difficulty on the fly?

Postby Tizerak » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:06 am

I don't know why I assumed this but I couldn't find a way to do it anywhere, is there a way to change the difficulty while you're playing single player? I played normal for about 2 hours and was like damn this is easy i'll go up a difficulty level, and then found I couldn't so my current work around has been to just make LAN games and change the difficulty.
Tizerak

Re: Change difficulty on the fly?

Postby JaggidEdje » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:09 am

I don't believe it is currently possible.

You could just continue your game as a LAN game though and you can select whatever difficulty you want each time you launch the game that way.

BTW, the difficulty does ramp up considerably as you progress. Act I appears to be stupidly easy no matter what difficulty you choose.
JaggidEdje

Postby Wuffletronics » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:09 am

Sadly, once you choose a difficulty, that's set in stone for single player. You can remake your character and transfer gear via shared stash or wait til late game for more of a challenge.

Ferrets are so freakin' cute.
Wuffletronics

Postby Hydrargent » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:39 am

If you enable and use the console, you can change difficulty with the command "setdifficulty #" where # is a number between 0 and 3, from easy to elite.

To enable the console, open the settings.txt file located in My Documents/My Games/Runic Games/Torchlight 2/Save
Then scroll down until you see CONSOLE: 0, and change the 0 to a 1.
To open the console ingame, press CTRL+SHIFT+NUMPAD_0.

If you use the console, it flags your character as a console user. Other players online will be able to see a mark next to your portrait. If you don't care about this, go ahead, otherwise I'd stick to just remaking LAN games and changing the difficulty there.
Hydrargent

Postby Exiled » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:19 am

I hope it won't flag you as cheater or something... I think Runic has to fix this one.
Exiled

Postby Tizerak » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:44 am

Yeah I don't want to be "flagged" ill just keep doing LAN games it not a huge deal, thanks for the info.
Tizerak

Postby Rly » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:27 am

Don't really mind being flagged since I'm probably going to be playing with my friends exclusively. But there really should be an easier way. Maybe just patch a little drop down menu in on the settings? :(
Rly

Postby lukian » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:45 am

Does upgrading the difficulty in single player (normal and/or NG+) flag your character as suspicious?
lukian

Postby Innomen » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:36 pm

This makes exactly zero sense. If difficulty doesn't change drops or experience then why prevent it from being as flexible as the music volume? If it's going to be unchangeable without hacks/console/whatever then then why not give xp and drop bonuses to harder difficulties since obviously the intent is to punish people who don't play like they have something to prove?

"Oh you play casual? Just like my newb girlfriend HAR HAR HAR!"

I started on casual because I have no experience with torchlight till today, but now my character is killing stuff so far ahead of him in levels that he can't use any of the drops. I'd like to crank up the difficulty until I'm forced back into my proper area. And I have to "cheat" to do it.

That's just stupid.
Innomen

Postby Baron » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:47 am

Greetings.

Pay attention to "old" informations like this, and don't jump into conclusions so fast, as they are often mistaken. I know for a fact that opening the console and changing your difficulty for Single Player will not flag you. As a matter of fact, there are many console options that don't flag you whatsoever.
Baron

Postby Innomen » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:34 am

How do you know for a "fact?" I'm not doubting you, I'm just curious. Citation needed, as wiki might say :)

And thank you for correcting me :) I'm glad to hear it. But if it doesn't flag me, isn't that all the more reason to just put the setting in the options?

Also for the record, what's the current way to do this? (For future Google searches.)
Innomen

Postby Vorodar » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:47 am

Innomen wrote:If it's going to be unchangeable without hacks/console/whatever then then why not give xp and drop bonuses to harder difficulties

Because if you do, the higher difficulties wouldn't be as difficult. With an increased levelling speed you would outlevel your enemies, with an increased item drop rate you would would outgear them.

Also, if you don't want to use the console or Rapid Respec (for whatever reason), you can still start a multiplayer game (even if it's just LAN) on a higher difficulty and play alone. There is no real reason not to, except it takes two more clicks to start a game.

Innomen wrote:since obviously the intent is to punish people who don't play like they have something to prove?

How come? The lower difficulties are far more permissive, you can play any build and play any style you want there. On higher difficulties, especially elite, you need a more in-depth understanding of the game mechanics and how things work together, even then, that just allows you to reduce your failure rate, you can still die pretty easily.

Innomen wrote:Also for the record, what's the current way to do this? (For future Google searches.)

difficulty #
Where # is a number 0-3 each corresponds to a difficulty between casual-elite. Alternatively Rapid Respec allows you to change the difficulty of your character, among other things. Or there is always the multiplayer option.
Call your dogs! They can feast on your corpses!
Grovel before your true master.

I <3 Image
Vorodar

Postby Innomen » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:26 am

Thanks much :)

...for whatever reason...

Happy to use console and Rapid Respec. Sort of. :)

In fact if it weren't for RR I wouldn't even be playing TL2. Generally when I speak on the forum (anywhere in gaming) I'm speaking of the default game and the "official" experience. For some reason (which I have been trying to purge from my mind) hacking/editing/modding/cheating, all ruin "the feel" for me. For example, even though it's a hack fest and is no more "legitimate" than open, I still prefer Diablo 2 closed battle net non-ladder. And even that feels like I'm cheating a little since it's not the true default mode. (Ladder)

Speaking of "reality" in the context of gaming, may seem absurd but the fact is the default/intended experience for me is more enjoyable simply because it feels more real. By that, I am aware, I must mean more official, more like canon. As opposed to fan fiction that, while equally imaginary, and perhaps even better in quality, still lacks some (admittedly conformist on my part) rubber stamp appeal.

So for me, a console command that doesn't flag the player is better than using RR, and flipping an in game, gui setting toggle would be better still.

With an increased levelling speed you would outlevel your enemies, with an increased item drop rate you would would outgear them.

But that bridge is already burnt by having difficulty settings at all. It doesn't matter which end you put weight on, it's the same scale. Especially with a shared stash.

How come? The lower difficulties are far more permissive, you can play any build and play any style you want there.

Because it requires a console command, which is a save hack more or less, or save editor, or game mode restriction (the lan "trick") to change it. Also clearly the names of each difficulty imply achievement or the lack of it. Though I admit "casual" is a lot more friendly and flattering than "easy" though it might just as well have been called "pansy" "lamer" or "newb" for what it feels like to me :)

Off topic tangent hidden by spoiler tags :)

Spoiler: show
To me it's not about beating the game on the hardest possible settings, to prove I'm "elite" it's about figuring out what the default, and thus most canon, setting is. Right now I believe that to be "normal" because of its name. I see the various efforts to get away from that kind of mentality, most obviously by making the game extremely mod friendly, to the point of releasing an official modding tool, and I say bravo. But again, that just goes back to the fan fiction comparison for me.

The only way around that for what its worth would be to somehow make mods a part of the canon. To put the mod manager in the game menu itself, and make it so that they are more like plugins designed to improve subjective experience, rather than mods which to me are as I've said, equivalent to retellings of the default story.

By making them integrated with the primary in game settings menu, or better yet a character panel, as in the plugins/extensions menus in firefox for example, you invite the world of modding into the canon. It would be even better still for me and my weirdness if they somehow made it part of the story. Like how Rifts opened the door literally to every other game universe by having rifts. Since the plot of torchlight involves a character trying to change the very nature of magic, it could easily accommodate the chaos and paradox that clashing mods would inspire.

If mods are ever "welcomed in" in this way, the resulting game will outlast tetris and chess.

Difficulty #

For the record and future searches: To access this mode...

Alter the file “settings.txt” found in your Torchlight 2 Save file. (%userprofile%\My Documents\My Games\Runic Games\Torchlight 2\save) Open the file with a text editor, then press Ctrl+F and search for Console :0. Change the parameter from Console :0 to Console :1 Now that console is activated, you can open the Console window while in-game by pressing Insert.

That this mode requires an outside edit breaks canon for me, so I'll just continue to rationalize my use of RR since it boils down to convenience. Until such time as I get tired of "compensating" and go to a different game :/
Innomen

Postby Baron » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:30 am

Innomen wrote:How do you know for a "fact?" I'm not doubting you, I'm just curious. Citation needed, as wiki might say :)

And thank you for correcting me :) I'm glad to hear it. But if it doesn't flag me, isn't that all the more reason to just put the setting in the options?

Also for the record, what's the current way to do this? (For future Google searches.)

I tried ;).

As for the command, I believe it is "setdifficulty # (1-3). "Difficulty" will just reveal your level.
Baron

Postby Vorodar » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:05 pm

Baron wrote:As for the command, I believe it is "setdifficulty # (1-3). "Difficulty" will just reveal your level.

Ah, right, my bad. I knew difficulty with no arguments showed it but I thought if you supplied an integer, it changed it. I forgot about setdifficulty.
Call your dogs! They can feast on your corpses!
Grovel before your true master.

I <3 Image
Vorodar

Postby Hungry » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:27 am

Hydrargent wrote:If you use the console, it flags your character as a console user. Other players online will be able to see a mark next to your portrait. If you don't care about this, go ahead, otherwise I'd stick to just remaking LAN games and changing the difficulty there.

Not everything in the console will flag you as a cheater. Changing the difficulty does not flag you.

There is a console command that will tell you if you have been flagged as a cheater. Type in "doicheat" (without the quotes), and it will tell you whether or not you have been flagged. Unfortunately, there is no way to know beforehand which console commands flag you as a cheater and which ones don't, without actually trying it. Things like giving yourself extra levels, extra Attribute and Skill points, better equipment, etc., will flag you. Changing the difficulty setting will not. If you don't want to be flagged as a cheater, my suggestion is to make a dummy character and try whatever you want to do with the dummy character first, then use the DOICHEAT command to find out if that character has been flagged (flags are on the character, not on the account, so the rest of your characters are safe). If the dummy character has been flagged, you know not to use that command with characters you actually care about.

BTW, when you use the setdifficulty 0-3 command to change the difficulty setting, the game will tell you that the change has taken effect immediately, but in actual practice I don't think it changes until you exit and restart the game. At least that has been my experience.
Hungry

Return to Torchlight II General Discussion