fumble reduction and monster lvls

Hardcore Discussion :: Guild Discussion

fumble reduction and monster lvls

Postby Sdra » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:21 am

Hello there.

during my time in TL i have encountered some major issues. what bothers me most though, is "fumble".
so, the purple dmg number indicate a fumbled attack.
EVER SINCE LVL 4, when i first looked out for fumbled attacks i get 2s and 4s for dmg and i put 50points into dex and upped my weapon dps by 200.
as far as i can tell, fumble reduction through dex is not working at all!
as it is for me now, the fumble mechanic is a 20% decrease to my dps. sucks to be me.

so, what am i doing wrong? is there a way to reduce the basic 21% chance to fumble?
EDIT: perhaps i should mention i play an engineer with 1hand+shield

also, how does the monster lvl influence your dmg output?
i end up constantly underleveled by 2-5 lvls compared to the mobs and my dmg is no where near to what is says in the statistics.
i am in no way rushing the content, but this happened since act 1.
it feels like if you dont kill every single mob in each area you get more and more behind.

enlighten me please :D

p.s.: other than that i am having a blast, great game!
Sdra

Re: fumble reduction and monster lvls

Postby arsonist88 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:49 am

At 100% fumble recovery, you will still have a fumble attack in purple, but the damage will be the same as normal damage.
Just found out: some items decrease in fumble chance.

What I want to know is, do special attacks (skills) fumble also?
arsonist88

Postby Sdra » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:12 pm

arsonist88 wrote:At 100% fumble recovery, you will still have a fumble attack in purple, but the damage will be the same as normal damage.
Just found out: some items decrease in fumble chance.

What I want to know is, do special attacks (skills) fumble also?

yep, thats also how i understood it should work.
but it doesnt.

Edit: look at the tooltip when you hover over your fumble chance in the statistics. i think it says: chance your BASIC attacks will fumble.
so, no.
Sdra

Postby lightmgl » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:20 pm

Fumble is really harsh, I've found myself using wands on my Outrider lately because they don't seem to fumble whereas my guns/bows fumble like crazy on Elite and with them I do almost no dps at all when not using skills.

I'm fine with it but it seems a bit awkward.
lightmgl

Postby Answermancer » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:23 pm

Well, it certainly seems broken to me.

My fumble reduction is listed in stats as -48%, and my normal hits hit for anywhere from 30 to 130, and yet every single purple number I see is a 1 or maybe a 2. I have never seen a purple number that is actually half of my normal damage, this is really easy to test on the targetting dummies in town.

I hope runic responds to this thread and let us know if this is a bug or intended behavior, but I just don't see how -48% should result in always getting 1's.
Answermancer

Postby Untamed » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:32 pm

Answermancer wrote:Well, it certainly seems broken to me.

My fumble reduction is listed in stats as -48%, and my normal hits hit for anywhere from 30 to 130, and yet every single purple number I see is a 1 or maybe a 2. I have never seen a purple number that is actually half of my normal damage, this is really easy to test on the targetting dummies in town.

I hope runic responds to this thread and let us know if this is a bug or intended behavior, but I just don't see how -48% should result in always getting 1's.

Let's say your damage is 200 and your fumbled hits are penalized by 50%. So against 0 armor mobs you would deal 100 damage on fumbled hits. But if mob has, let's say 90 armor, you would deal 120 damage in normal hits (200-90=110), but fumbled hits would be 10 (200*50%-90=10). That explains the numbers you see.
Untamed

Postby Answermancer » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:51 pm

Hmm, well I guess I forgot armor was subtracted instead of a percentage, and that the armor would be subtracted after the scaling from Fumble. So I guess that makes sense, I'm still surprised I only ever see 1s and 2s though, maybe I'll go mess around in low level areas later where enemies should have lower armor.

I guess the moral of the story is to really crank the dex if you want to get rid of them.
Answermancer

Postby Sdra » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:26 pm

Untamed wrote:Let's say your damage is 200 and your fumbled hits are penalized by 50%. So against 0 armor mobs you would deal 100 damage on fumbled hits. But if mob has, let's say 90 armor, you would deal 120 damage in normal hits (200-90=110), but fumbled hits would be 10 (200*50%-90=10). That explains the numbers you see.

wow thats how armor works in this game?
each point of armor is one point of physical dmg mitigated... shits crazy
but that is one clear explanation to the things ive seen.
thank you!
Sdra

Return to Torchlight II General Discussion