What is End game?

Hardcore Discussion :: Guild Discussion

What is End game?

Postby Corpsie » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:44 pm

So basically I haven't finished Torchlight 2 yet but i'm curious to know what exactly is considered "end game" in this version?

In torchlight 1 there was the bottomless dungeon and random maps, is it the same here?

Also in a single player game why is my world NOT repopulating when I restart my game, even with full map clears and 100% quest complete im starting to notice my level drop below the quests because I simply don't regenerate mobs on game entry/exit.
Corpsie

Re: What is End game?

Postby JPrime » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:48 pm

There are NG + - NG ++++ for you to do if you're into the story quests and a rising difficulty, or after you beat the final boss you unlock the map works. I had a chance to mess around with the map works last night and I'll just say it had me up until 7 this morning! You buy maps with random affixes to the player and the monsters in the dungeon. Like +25% potion effectiveness but monsters all attack 15% faster. (Just an example) :lol: Lots of fun to be had in my opinion.

E: from what i can tell the maps are 1-2 floors followed by a boss battle. To reroll your world just make a LAN game and select the reroll world option. Going back to singleplayer should keep your world repopulated.
Last edited by JPrime on Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JPrime

Postby RizzRustbolt » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:50 pm

A Dwarven Food Fight.
..(>'o')> (::) <('o'<)..
"Using them for wickedness would be like beating a unicorn to death with a bag of rainbows..."
"There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs!"
RizzRustbolt

Postby lorien1973 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:57 pm

If you mean, what happens after you finish the game; there are several options:

1 - you get a maproom, where you can purchase maps and do them. Each are like 2-3 levels long and have one of the bosses at the end. The boss will not necessarily appear in the same environment you originally encountered him in (ie, I had General Grell in a cave not in a broken crypt thing like in Act 1). He'll be a lot tougher, more HPs, does more damage and might be with a few elites. The loot is a little better too. This is a little buggy and the boss at the end can spawn in places that makes death quite inevitable - so that kind of sucks. I had the spirit dragon spawn right on top of the boss teleportal thingy and he killed me before I even saw what was going on.

The maps are cool cuz you can spawn a dungeon with unique benefits (10% magic find bonus, enemies take more damage, take less damage etc).

2 - you can start new game plus; which essentially resets the story and lets you start from act 1 again. Keep in mind, by doing this you will lose your gambler/enchanter/etc for a while. They will only be accessible via the portal (to the maproom) and not in the etherean enclave, for example. This was a silly design choice, IMHO.

Yeah, if you leave the game and come back the world doesn't repopulate. I think the idea is to push you forward, not rehash old content. It's nice, but not common for an ARPG so it takes a bit to get used to. I've never had your level problem. I'm always above the level required for the content just by murdering everything in sight.

FYI - new game + starts off way easier than the maps of your level. I'm about done Act 1 on new game + and those first few bosses (mordock, general grell, etc) die within a few moments normally. Not sure how it works out later on, but thus far, if you want a challenge the maps are the way to go.
lorien1973

Postby evilmogwai » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:15 pm

To repopulate areas go into a LAN game and there is a "reroll world" button. This will respawn everything so far.
evilmogwai

Postby Darksoul » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:28 pm

As others have said map works and ng+. However, there will always be content mods that will change the game and give all new quests so you'll always have something to do.
Darksoul

Postby bradbury » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:49 am

An "end game" is something games need when they are too boring to play through again. Even then, most end games are too boring to bear. See Diablo 3, DC Universe: Their end game consists of re-doing the same Tasks, killing the same monsters day after day after day after day, for some miniscule rewards.

Titan Quest, Go, Magic, Sim City, Chess, Rock climbing, Sex: They don't need end games. Neither does TL2. Because they all are fun, every time.
bradbury

Postby dozey » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:03 am

bradbury wrote:An "end game" is something games need when they are too boring to play through again. Even then, most end games are too boring to bear. See Diablo 3, DC Universe: Their end game consists of re-doing the same Tasks, killing the same monsters day after day after day after day, for some miniscule rewards.

Titan Quest, Go, Magic, Sim City, Chess, Rock climbing, Sex: They don't need end games. Neither does TL2. Because they all are fun, every time.

What? I.... I don't even know where to start with this. I guess the you're comparing things that are nothing alike spot is the easiest.

The current "endgame" is the ability to reiterate through the main story multiple times. Oh and i almost forgot the mapworks! You can also just start a lan game and click repopulate to make the world fill up with monsters again should you need to slay things for more shinies. Also I could be doing it wrong, but I don't think sex is a game. You seem to be confusing a subjectivity and objectivity.
I don't think highways should have these cars on them.
I'd rather bike to my destination. There'd be more room for us cyclists if there weren't these cars.
They're getting to their destination faster than me and that bothers me. It devalues cycling.
-KFP
dozey

Postby Heathy » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:06 am

I'd say the end game, like it is with all arpg's is a gear grind, once you reach max level the only real way to improve on your character is to find all the best bits of gear or sets, then gemming and enchanting it all.

after that you can start a brand new game and see if your next character turns out any more or less powerful than your last.

at least doing this gives you 200+hrs of game play, took me about 70-80hrs to reach level 100, x4 (at least) lots of replayability.
Heathy

Postby bradbury » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:14 am

dozey wrote:
bradbury wrote:An "end game" is something games need when they are too boring to play through again. Even then, most end games are too boring to bear. See Diablo 3, DC Universe: Their end game consists of re-doing the same Tasks, killing the same monsters day after day after day after day, for some miniscule rewards.

What? I.... I don't even know where to start with this. I guess the you're comparing things that are nothing alike spot is the easiest.

The current "endgame" is the ability to reiterate through the main story multiple times. You can also just start a lan game and click repopulate to make the world fill up with monsters again should you need to slay things for more shinies. Also I could be doing it wrong, but I don't think sex is a game. You seem to be confusing a subjectivity and objectivity.

I was listing fun activities rather than games. Rock climbing is no game either (belive me).

And, what you state as end game is what I call replayability, which I like just fine. Most people and games define end game as a repetitous task you have to do after you played the game through. Some even state, everything before the end game is simply a tutorial and by that, meaningless. As I tried and played different games and lurked around in their forums seeking tipps for having fun with the game, I have grown to despise the term "end game". Because mostly, end games are grinding, a cheap scam to fool you into thinking there is more content and fun to be had than there really is, while giving you an elitist feeling. So that's why I deem TL2 not to be having an end game. Which I think is a good thing.

But we do agree at our core arguments: TL2 is fun to play again and again and again. We just disagreed on terminology. Agreed?
bradbury

Postby Shades » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:29 am

bradbury wrote:Titan Quest, Go, Magic, Sim City, Chess, Rock climbing, Sex: They don't need end games. Neither does TL2. Because they all are fun, every time.

Actually, the concept of the endgame is an extremely important consideration in chess. So much so that I was actually under the impression that it's where the term originated.
If you were looking for the next Diablo, you've found the wrong game. This is not the game you're looking for. Move along. No, they're not going to fix that. It was a design decision. That's right, they did it on purpose. This is Torchlight.
Shades

Return to Torchlight II General Discussion