Outlander - problem with Veteran difficulty

Hardcore Discussion :: Guild Discussion

Outlander - problem with Veteran difficulty

Postby shannshann » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:13 am

I finished D2 on Hell, Torchlight 1 on all difficulties. But I have problem with Veteran difficulty with my Outlander. I invested points mainly to Rapid fire, +ranged dmg/rng, +shootgon, + darkelings (+glaive later). I'm switching bow / shootgon as needed. I finished side-quests, have decent level and gear..
1.) ACT I - ok, it takes time to take down opponents but it's fun
2.) ACT II - Opponents are tough, starting to die many times, I have no money because I spent all money for potions on boss-fights, I started to use my glaive skills for DPS, my darklings sucks..
3.) ACT III - It takes so much time take down even common opponents, it's too slow and boring..

Deleted my Outlander and started as Engineer on Normal difficulty. What's your opinion about outlanders and difficulty? I heard Embermage is very powerfull..
shannshann

Re: Outlander - problem with Veteran difficulty

Postby Zergrocklord » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:16 am

I finished an outlander on veteran difficulty my first play through and had no real problem with it.. but it was not a dex/str build like yours but a focus build so they might not be comparable..

so I had no problems with outlander and veteran
Zergrocklord

Postby hitmanov » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:48 am

I, too, noticed that I was loosing much by choosing bow/crossbow.
Only viable and simple Dex/Str build (which I assume you used) is dual pistols I think.
Eventually I end up Dex/Foc build to which people refer as Glaivelander (it's pure focus though I find 90% crit chance and 75% dodge very handy) using a shield.
Also I wipe stuff on Elite easilty while most of the "stuff"has 12.5% chance to 1hit me :D (50% block also).
hitmanov

Postby CaptCommando4 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:04 am

I'm starting to feel major pushback for my lvl 42 outlander in Act 3.

I'm

I'm not at the point where I'm getting one shotted by everything, but those trolls pretty much take me out with one swing. Firstly this is teaching me to position myself better and use my skills more efficiently in fights. The real troubling part of Veteran for me has been the dearth of unique items dropping for a good half of Act 2. Pretty my squishiness stems from the fact that my armor values are probably pretty sub-standard at this point(lots of gear in the 20 range).

It still doesn't feel quite as unfair to me as D3 was for my WD on Hell though and I find myself still having fun even though my used potion count is getting pretty high.

Hopefully some higher level Outlander's will share their experiences so I can stop feeling inadequate.

Cheers.
CaptCommando4

Postby joesblg » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:07 am

lvl 31 Outlander playing Veteran in A2... No problem at all (although I'm mainly a dual-wield normal attack Outlander so we'll see how it goes in A3 but I'm having too much fun playing w/ my lvl 62 Embermage in NG+ A2... so... :P
ihaveanothereye wrote:Eye mane is pokey because I get poked im butt...
joesblg

Postby pieman280 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:08 am

Playing as a normal outlander, and have been using shotguns (Honestly I can't memorize the properly weird name of it), and switching around side weapons but almost always using the shotguns anyways. I went for an even distribution, although I probably ignored focus a bit more than others. I was doing fine with act 1, and 2, I literally had over 60 health potions collected just sitting in my inventory by the time I was halfway through act 2. However act 3 was a sky high difficulty spike and was a real nightmare. I'm starting to get used to it, but I can't help but feel forced to throw points into focus just to survive (oh, and now they nerfed the only survivable outlander build without helping anything for the other play styles... yay?). So I can't really blame you for quitting your character, however I'm still having some fun. Its just that its starting to feel a bit more punishing than it needs to be. I really hope that some day a mod hits to buff up the shootylander or other potential playstyles, it really needs it. You shouldn't have to feel forced into using a focus build by act 3.
pieman280

Postby mibuwolf » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:14 am

shannshann wrote:I finished D2 on Hell, Torchlight 1 on all difficulties. But I have problem with Veteran difficulty with my Outlander. I invested points mainly to Rapid fire, +ranged dmg/rng, +shootgon, + darkelings (+glaive later). I'm switching bow / shootgon as needed. I finished side-quests, have decent level and gear..
1.) ACT I - ok, it takes time to take down opponents but it's fun
2.) ACT II - Opponents are tough, starting to die many times, I have no money because I spent all money for potions on boss-fights, I started to use my glaive skills for DPS, my darklings sucks..
3.) ACT III - It takes so much time take down even common opponents, it's too slow and boring..

Deleted my Outlander and started as Engineer on Normal difficulty. What's your opinion about outlanders and difficulty? I heard Embermage is very powerfull..

All classes can beat elite hc equally. Your build and your skill as the player is the only thing that limits you in this game.
mibuwolf

Postby joesblg » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:24 am

pieman280 wrote:Playing as a normal outlander, and have been using shotguns (Honestly I can't memorize the properly weird name of it).

It made me laugh so bad when I first saw it. I thought it was a mistake "Shotgonne" then I was like... It's probably on purpose and hilarious anyway so

Kudos! You did not forgot to add some "funny/wtf" part into the game
ihaveanothereye wrote:Eye mane is pokey because I get poked im butt...
joesblg

Postby DidNotShowUpAgain » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:35 am

shannshann wrote:1.) ACT I - ok, it takes time to take down opponents but it's fun

Weird. I had also tried out a shotgun Outlander, and in act 1, enemies were dying pretty darn quick. At the level I got a shotgun from the quest by talking to the regent for the first time, the shotgun actually killed little skeletons in a single shot, and still kept very strong. It seemed so good it was hilarious.

Maybe it's your stat build? They changed stats a lot in this game, they're nothing like the first game. I'm thinking you went like lots of dex because that's what used to increase ranged weapon damage? In this one, strength increases the weapon damage of ALL weapons, dex is just dodge and crit chance, and fumble reduction.

joesblg wrote:
pieman280 wrote:Playing as a normal outlander, and have been using shotguns (Honestly I can't memorize the properly weird name of it).

It made me laugh so bad when I first saw it. I thought it was a mistake "Shotgonne" then I was like... It's probably on purpose and hilarious anyway so

Kudos! You did not forgot to add some "funny/wtf" part into the game

In the first game, they had rifles (which they just changed to additional shotguns in this game because apparently they weren't different enough from the other ranged weapons). Rifles were called polegonnes.
a +health gear a day keeps the death screen away
DidNotShowUpAgain

Postby Neant » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:07 am

I ma playing as Barserker with dual claws, and I feel exactly the same - Act 1 was very easy on Veteran difficulty, the second half of Act 2 begun to be tough and I can't cope with Act 3.
It seems that the difficulty is not linear distributed with the player level.
Neant

Postby Jathra » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:06 am

Act 3 isn't so bad for outlander on vet you just need A: Cursed Daggers and B: Stone Pact and C: some resists.

Without the DR from cursed daggers though it can get hairy, with decent resists (300ish), CD and SP I face tanked every boss in the act on veteran and can face tank most of em in NG+

That being said shooty builds for outlander are still far inferior to glaive builds for the most part. A shooty build is certainly viable but it requires a lot more planning and precision.

Check the outlander forums, there are a few threads about shooty builds there.
Jathra

Postby bitterkitten » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:13 am

I think I'm a level 43? Outlander on Veteran. I built the character nearly evenly, point-wise. I'm in Act III: definitely in close quarters I get smacked down by big trolls if I'm not careful, but I have been playing for a while using a shield (which helps a lot) and a one-handed weapon, usually a pistol. Recently I found a unique axe that I've been using instead, which does melee as well as ranged attacks, even though I'm pretty sure that my skill points that only work on 'bows, crossbows, shotgonnes, and pistols" do not apply.

So yeah, now my Outlander is using only 'lander spells along with non-Outlander specific weapons. : ) I mix it up using a variety of Glaive, Sandstorm, Stone Pact, and that hex spell that keep local nasties away. I have 'accidentally' put skill points into skills that I don't use much during the game, but unlike a lot of other folks I don't freak out about "oh noooooo i've wasted skilll points....". I just like the discovery aspect of it. I'm sure based on my very evenly distributed stat points and experimentally-built sills, my glavie-ing is way less powerful than other folks at my level.

Act I was fine
I did feel like for the first half of Act II, I really struggled to get ahead, because I felt like I was only able to afford the bare minimum amt of potions to stay alive in a lot of fights.
Act III is ok. Generally I have found that I am sort of a get-level-increased-by-general-hacking-and-slashing-in-general-open-areas-before-doing-quests player, so that often when I go into dungeons and what not my level is one or two above the 'recommended' levels that are usually stated at the entrances. I found this helps me die a lot less.
bitterkitten

Postby tsuelue » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:33 pm

So, I started a "shooty" Veteran Outlander, dual wielding pistols and rapid fire as main attack. Splitting my stat points between dex & strength so far, ´til i got my 109/110 dex, then (propably) strenght only. (Inspired by Empyrean´s thread http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=38767&hilit=rapid+fire+build+main+stat)

Man, i got my asskicked big time! ;) Compared to my main, a very tanky Engineer, this is far from easy. I really had to learn how to engage certain mob types and especially bosses. It´s hard.
Yet fun. Movement is is the key, a little tactic helps too. The hell will i delete my Outlander. :roll:
Well, i knew I was building no easy going char, so I guess i mustn´t complain.

Btw: I am allergic to glaives. ;)
tsuelue

Postby Demonizerqt » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:40 pm

I had no problems except with act 3 arena xd, needed a engi friend for it, dual pistols with good str and focus mainly hits hard,also u must get stone pact, that saves a lot of potions, got the sandstorm glaive too for spaming in close areas full of shit and uhm ur basic kite skills vault and the other thing forward xD also the hex that pushes back everything is a good survival tool
Demonizerqt

Postby tsuelue » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:51 pm

Demonizerqt wrote:I had no problems except with act 3 arena xd, needed a engi friend for it, dual pistols with good str and focus mainly hits hard,also u must get stone pact, that saves a lot of potions, got the sandstorm glaive too for spaming in close areas full of shit and uhm ur basic kite skills vault and the other thing forward xD also the hex that pushes back everything is a good survival tool

Repulsion Hex and Stone Pact, sure. Sandstorm I just don´t like and Vault... I can´t use. I keep vaulting INTO mob groups, and get clobbered. I am used to smashing my shield into the mobs faces until they stop moving, and of course my Heal Bot.
Engineer is quite a bit less challenging. :lol:
tsuelue

Postby Vagrant0 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:00 pm

With rapid fire... Weapons and gems that add x damage over y seconds are your friend who you should never leave home without. This is because the damage from each hit stacks and gets around the significant armor difference of most A3 mobs as well as the built-in weakness of rapid fire as it now stands*.

Sandstorm glaive is one of the better skills to use in tight spaces since it hits everything, generating a good deal of charge, then bounces to hit more things. It's quite simply your best option when you have enemies lined up in a hallway or when they're chasing after you, with shotgun being a close second. Flame glaive is better for open areas though if you have the mana for it since it burns everything around you.

*rapid fire lost alot of potential now due to how it factors damage since each burst is 3 shots, so ends up doing 75% damage with each individual shot being reduced by armor. About the only thing it has going for it now is that each hit procs and has a chance to apply elemental effects.
Vagrant0

Postby Fion » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:04 pm

I'm playing a duel pistols Outlander, lvl 41 in Act 3 (normal) and not having to much of a problem. Chaos Bolt, Cursed Daggers and Stone Pact are my main skills. Cursed Daggers and Chaos Bolt destroy shit (I get 1k+ crits pretty easy with execute). My attribute build is Str 2/Foc 2/Dex 1 with decent Vit boost once in a while. I keep a high Focus because it counts for half the damage in '% dps' skills as well as the heavy amount of poison damage I get from Venomous Hail and Poison Burst. Chaos Bolt seems strong since the last patch though I didn't notice anything about it in the patch notes. Combined with Poison Burst they absolutely rip through groups of mobs. Cursed Dagger just drops trash mobs in seconds and is a very valuable dps boost against bosses. Against very large groups, bosses phase instances etc, I drop Stone Pact and Venomous Hail and I can toe to toe pretty easily with just about anything.

My build is;

http://torchlight2armory.com/skill-calc ... SwrN2WP-1Y
Last edited by Fion on Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fion

Postby Vagrant0 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:09 pm

Fion wrote: lvl 41 in Act 3 (normal)

That's the difference right there /\.
Vagrant0

Postby unrealmack » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:14 pm

shannshann wrote:What's your opinion about outlanders and difficulty? I heard Embermage is very powerfull..

I played all four classes at level 100 in elite difficulty while testing things, and from that i felt personally that embermage was the strongest, again this was just my opinion.
unrealmack

Postby tsuelue » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:24 pm

Vagrant0 wrote:(...)
*rapid fire lost alot of potential now due to how it factors damage since each burst is 3 shots, so ends up doing 75% damage with each individual shot being reduced by armor. About the only thing it has going for it now is that each hit procs and has a chance to apply elemental effects.

I know, that RF is not the most effective skill, but frankly, I use it because it looks cool and like it.
Ok...fine, and I like pain. :lol:

X damage over time gems I currently don´t have for my lvl, will use them later, thanks for the info.
tsuelue

Next

Return to Torchlight II General Discussion