Playing TL2, Playing TQIT with Mods, and Still Weary.

Hardcore Discussion :: Guild Discussion

Playing TL2, Playing TQIT with Mods, and Still Weary.

Postby Mikesla » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:09 pm

Hi.

I have been playing TL2 pretty much everyday for a few hours, and then I read a few posts about how TQIT is far superior, and you know I have to say that both games are good at what they do, there is however two thing that really annoy me in TQIT, and that is when you save the game, and leave, you spawn back at the well (you last visited), and all the monsters have respawned which is a real pain to have to travel back to where you were. I mean I'm okay about the Maps being the same (not random), but they could have made it so #1: Saves your location when starting the game, and #2: STOP the damn monster spawning. TQIT is incredible for Character building, nothing beats it. In my opinion hands down if I had to choose between the two games, I would have to say that TL2 wins out.
What is this Guy up to now? Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Justallino ... ature=mhee
Mikesla

Re: Playing TL2, Playing TQIT with Mods, and Still Weary.

Postby Srikandi » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:17 pm

Most multiplayer ARPGs respawn enemies, starting with Diablo 2; TL2 is the exception here, but I am with you in preferring the TL2 system. The reason for respawn is so you can pretty much grind to any level you want by replaying areas, which means the devs aren't responsible for ensuring that you get the level you need with initial clears. But it removes any sense of progress you get.

I don't think there's any concensus that TQIT is the better game, btw. Some people prefer it, just as some people prefer Path of Exile, Sacred 2, Dungeon Siege 2, Borderlands 2, or *gasp* even Diablo 3.

Lots of different ways to combine all the different elements that make up an ARPG, and lots of ways to come out with a very playable result.
Last edited by Srikandi on Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Srikandi

Postby PabloFajita » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:20 pm

Mikesla wrote:Hi.

I have been playing TL2 pretty much everyday for a few hours, and then I read a few posts about how TQIT is far superior, and you know I have to say that both games are good at what they do, there is however two thing that really annoy me in TQIT, and that is when you save the game, and leave, you spawn back at the well (you last visited), and all the monsters have respawned which is a real pain to have to travel back to where you were. I mean I'm okay about the Maps being the same (not random), but they could have made it so #1: Saves your location when starting the game, and #2: STOP the damn monster spawning. TQIT is incredible for Character building, nothing beats it. In my opinion hands down if I had to choose between the two games, I would have to say that TL2 wins out.

Why are you comparing TL2 to a 10 year old game? And most games like this auto-reroll mobs after a save/exit, along with moving you to last save point/wp/town. It's generally how people farm areas/bosses. TL2 is the same if you select "Reroll World", it just doesn't do it automatically even though it's generally the norm. It's neither good nor bad.

And TQ with Underlord mod I still consider one of the best "loot based ARPGs" with a mod... Really wish that game wasn't optimized so bad though, the rubberbanding still gives me nightmares to this day, and it doesn't run extremely well on todays top end computers either.

But it's still my 2nd favorite game of the genre next to D2.
PabloFajita

Postby Indimion » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:49 pm

Other than character classes, there is no way TQIT is better than TL2, heck I even prefer TL2 to D3.

ROFLMAO
Indimion

Postby Terikan » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:10 pm

There's more people who find TQ downright awful than those that think it's good. I'm more in the former category obviously.
Terikan

Postby abutterf » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:45 pm

TQUIT

Titan quest immortal throne

I had to google it

This game is from early 2007

abutterf

Postby beaverusiv » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:47 pm

I love TQ, I've spent well over 2,000 hours on it. lol, I even developed a tool for use with it. (TQ Collector).
The loot system is awesome (MIs), but some of the mechanics (-recharge and CtAP etc) needed rejiggering.

As has been said; there is a lot of things devs can pick and choose when making an ARPG and they can get it right for different reasons. TL2 has got me right now, but I'm still doing a couple of Trav runs in D2 and TQ never gets uninstalled from my comp.

I think what can make TL2 undisputed is if we get some real kick-ass quality mods. Things that mean you can chop and change and cater to what you want.
beaverusiv

Postby citizensam » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:11 pm

Most of the people who didn't like Titan Quest probably pirated it and ran afoul of the DRM.
citizensam

Postby Grandegear » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:45 pm

I played Titan Quest, and enjoyed it - and I'm still shocked anyone remembers it for comparison to TL2. :)
Grandegear

Postby Shades » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:55 pm

Titan Quest was interesting for a couple of acts. After that it bored me so much I stopped playing.
If you were looking for the next Diablo, you've found the wrong game. This is not the game you're looking for. Move along. No, they're not going to fix that. It was a design decision. That's right, they did it on purpose. This is Torchlight.
Shades

Postby Xenesis » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:13 pm

Shades wrote:Titan Quest was interesting for a couple of acts. After that it bored me so much I stopped playing.

That was pretty much my experience. Finished it co-op once, finished it solo once with a different character. Great character build system but the game is a bit slow and gets a bit dull after a while.

That being said, it was fairly pretty after so many years of Diablo 2 :)
Xenesis

Return to Torchlight II General Discussion