Dig for Buried Treasure Challenge TREASURE MAP

Hardcore Discussion :: Guild Discussion

Dig for Buried Treasure Challenge TREASURE MAP

Postby Say10 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:13 am

So in ACT II our favourite Phase Beast can take us to a new challenge - Dig for Buried Treasure! After going through it with two different characters I believe some things are common in it. To see possible treasure locations You have to kill skeleton pirate captain (central part of the map) and pick up Treasure map. And here's the tricky part: there is 20 spots, and just a few shovels to dig. So first goal is to get maximum number of shovels. There are two merchants in the western part of the map who sell one shovel each. First one will do it for 1000 gold and second one for 5 crab legs. How to get crab legs? Kill red crabs, which spawns randomly on the map as long as You don't kill CRAB KING (located in north-east corner of the map). Some of those crabs will drop crab legs. Just run around in central part of the map and surely those crabs will appear from time to time. Sadly collecting 10 crab legs won't give You 2 shovels at the merchant. 2 extra shovels You will get from CRAB KING. One is laying next to him and second one will drop after killing him. His death means no red crabs will be spawned on map so do it only when You have collected 5 crab legs.

ow where to dig? After 2 game plays with different characters and maaany reloads of this challenge I found that some spots are fixed for items, some are random. I might be wrong about it, surely third gameplay would give more accurate results but for the time being here is what I found.

Spoiler: show
LEGEND:
BT - Big Treasure
ST - Small Treasure

SH - shovel

Other spots may contain: Shovels, Mines or simply nothing.

PLEASE VERIFY THIS INFORMATION AND POST HERE IF YOU HAD TREASURES AT THE SAME SPOTS!
Say10

Re: Dig for Buried Treasure Challenge TREASURE MAP

Postby BrianB » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:05 pm

There will always be 1 big and 3 small treasure chests buried in the sand, but their locations are entirely random. Any spots without a treasure chest have a random chance to have a mine or shovel, but most likely nothing.

Also, killing the Crab King has no effect on the red crabs. They will continue to spawn until you have picked up 5+ crab legs.
BrianB
Runic Staff

Postby Say10 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:34 pm

BrianB wrote:There will always be 1 big and 3 small treasure chests buried in the sand, but their locations are entirely random. Any spots without a treasure chest have a random chance to have a mine or shovel, but most likely nothing.

Also, killing the Crab King has no effect on the red crabs. They will continue to spawn until you have picked up 5+ crab legs.

Thanks Brian for giving these details. That's mean I've been just extremely lucky with finding Big Treasure two times on the same spot!
Say10

Postby Jack40m » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:16 am

This is the easiest money grind there that l have come across so far.

As the previous poster has said there is 1 Big buried treasure and 3 small. As well as 2 destructible boats and 3 skeletal remains to examine.

I found by accidently logging of after completing the phase event that when l logged back in, the Phase event was reset. Thus l merrily grinded away farming about $300,000 worth of coins, loot and the odd gems. Even if you die, it is worth paying the extra money to resurrect inside the phase event so you can keep on grinding. So long as you don't port back to town, or leave the phase event, you can reset it by quiting inside the game and "LOAD"ing the game again.

On Level N+ with about 75% gold drop bonus, l was earning about 25,000-30,000 in gold per run. Each run is about 15mins or less.

Details
When you enter the event, you start of with 1 shovel. The maximum number of shovels you can have is 5.

There are 2 NPCs in the event who sell shovels. One for 1000 gold and another for 5 crab claws which randomly drop of the crabs that spawn within the event. The Crab boss in the North East Corner drops another Shovel and the 5th shovel is next to the npc which sells one for 1000 gold.

But you only need 4 shovels. So save your 1000 gold and just farm the crab claws to get the 4th one.

Bosses:
There are 3 bosses. The Crab king - slow moving tank type boss surrounded by 4-5 small crabs, and the 2 pirates next to the treasure chest - one does range damage with a pistol and the other is a melee with a sword.

When you go near the treasure chest, it disappears and the 2 pirate bosses activate. They also spawn mini me's of them selfs until they are both dead.
Looting the treasure chest will spawn big X on the ground with "Dig here". There is 20 buried sites to choose from. There is 1 big treasure chest which has a load of coins and sometimes a lucky coin, epic item, rare item or gem. There is also 3 small treasure chests which just has coins.

I have farmed this over a 4 day period and found the chests all spawn in the same spot. It may vary depending on your own game. But it is easy to find them. Once you have the 4 shovels (go buy the 5th one till you know all the locations), take a screen shot of the map and save it. Load it into a image editor and then go around all the sites till you find all the locations. Once you run out of shovels, QUIT, and LOAD the game again. It should take 5 resets to check them all out.

the map shows the locations of the chests for me. The white dot is where the Big Treasure chest is. Pink is where spare shovels spawn.

Jack40m

Return to Torchlight II General Discussion