Release on gog?

Forum for discussing Torchlight II.

Release on gog?

Postby ELF » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:39 pm

Hi
As my first thread/post here I wish to ask for a release on http://www.gog.com.
Torchlight 1 is allready there, so why not yeat Torchlight 2?
If it's because of the multiplayer part of the game. Well, ok I understand. But hear here, I 'm sure most customers on gog could go without the multiplayer ascpect of the game. Well, ok, playing coop with a friend would most likely be really fun. But still, having Torchlight 2 crippled would be better than not having Torchlight 2 at all :)

And the wish on gog...
http://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/torchlight_2
ELF

Re: Release on gog?

Postby D2Hans » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:46 pm

Welcome to the Forums.

The game is just over a year old and I do not think it is old enough to be on GOG yet. The game needs to mature first. Right now TLII is in the rebellious teenager phase. :lol:
D2Hans

Postby ELF » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:14 pm

D2Hans wrote:Welcome to the Forums.

The game is just over a year old and I do not think it is old enough to be on GOG yet. The game needs to mature first. Right now TLII is in the rebellious teenager phase. :lol:

It's old enough for Steam but not GOG?
I you mean not old enough as the name GOG states. Well, the devs have stated that a game don't need to be old to be sold on gog. And also, gog is at the time the best drm free game distributor (that I know of).
If that isn't the case, then what do you mean by not old enough?
ELF

Postby D2Hans » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:31 pm

Runic will decide when the game is ready for GoG if it will be released there.

It took quite a few years before TLI was released on GoG and I believe it will be a few years for it as well. Since TLII is still too young to join that club of Great Old Games.

I do like GoG but I feel it is too early for TLII to join the line up.
D2Hans

Postby Serkevan » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:38 pm

Besides Runic won't want to sell a crippled version (without multiplayer) and they probably won't want to do away with the only form of DRM (the online activation) they have.
Serkevan

Postby Zidders » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:54 pm

I seem to remember the reason having to do with them needing to sell it the way they are now is so that they can offer a demo. If you buy directly from Runic, the only DRM is an online activation, you get ten of those, and if you run out for some weird reason, they're willing to give you more. Plus, they've stated that if anything happens to the company, they'll patch out the DRM.

So really, while more platforms is always cool, and is potentially (but not definitely) more profitable for them, it's not like it's necessary.
As my footsteps on the roadway click
There's a place I've yet to be.
My heart is always homesick
For a place I'll never see.
-Zid, "Homesick"
Zidders

Postby MrImmoli » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:07 pm

-- removed by moderator --

Anyway, they wouldn't have to do anything with the multiplayer. GOG already includes games with DRM-ed multiplayer (ARMA 2, and Brutal Legend). And they plan on letting games like Planetary Annihilation on that have a central server + LAN (Just like Torchlight 2).

All they'd have to do is remove the online authentication.
Last edited by BrianW on Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: violation of forum rules
MrImmoli

Postby Serkevan » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:05 pm

-- removed by moderator --

I honestly didn't know about MP games being sold on GOG, thanks for the heads up.

EDIT: and removing the online authentication probably won't happen anyway, because to play online you need an online account, to which you have to log in.
Last edited by BrianW on Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removing response to previous post as it was removed due to a rule violation
Serkevan

Postby Jonny8787 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:53 pm

Not trying to necro this thread or anything but, I'm still waiting on Runic to release this game DRM Free on GOG. :-)

It's been 1 year and a half since this game has been released and tbh I'm not sure what Runic is waiting for, the game is still wanted by the GOG community.

I'd be more than happy to be able to play the game in Single Player Mode or across LAN only, I'll pay full price I don't care, I just want a simple DRM Free version.
Jonny8787

Return to Torchlight II General Discussion