Release on gog?

Hardcore Discussion :: Guild Discussion

Release on gog?

Postby ELF » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:39 pm

Hi
As my first thread/post here I wish to ask for a release on http://www.gog.com.
Torchlight 1 is allready there, so why not yeat Torchlight 2?
If it's because of the multiplayer part of the game. Well, ok I understand. But hear here, I 'm sure most customers on gog could go without the multiplayer ascpect of the game. Well, ok, playing coop with a friend would most likely be really fun. But still, having Torchlight 2 crippled would be better than not having Torchlight 2 at all :)

And the wish on gog...
http://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/torchlight_2
ELF

Re: Release on gog?

Postby D2Hans » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:46 pm

Welcome to the Forums.

The game is just over a year old and I do not think it is old enough to be on GOG yet. The game needs to mature first. Right now TLII is in the rebellious teenager phase. :lol:
"Six... one, six... the nuuuumber ooof the beeeaaast!"
D2Hans

Postby ELF » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:14 pm

D2Hans wrote:Welcome to the Forums.

The game is just over a year old and I do not think it is old enough to be on GOG yet. The game needs to mature first. Right now TLII is in the rebellious teenager phase. :lol:

It's old enough for Steam but not GOG?
I you mean not old enough as the name GOG states. Well, the devs have stated that a game don't need to be old to be sold on gog. And also, gog is at the time the best drm free game distributor (that I know of).
If that isn't the case, then what do you mean by not old enough?
ELF

Postby D2Hans » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:31 pm

Runic will decide when the game is ready for GoG if it will be released there.

It took quite a few years before TLI was released on GoG and I believe it will be a few years for it as well. Since TLII is still too young to join that club of Great Old Games.

I do like GoG but I feel it is too early for TLII to join the line up.
D2Hans

Postby Serkevan » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:38 pm

Besides Runic won't want to sell a crippled version (without multiplayer) and they probably won't want to do away with the only form of DRM (the online activation) they have.
Serkevan

Postby Zidders » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:54 pm

I seem to remember the reason having to do with them needing to sell it the way they are now is so that they can offer a demo. If you buy directly from Runic, the only DRM is an online activation, you get ten of those, and if you run out for some weird reason, they're willing to give you more. Plus, they've stated that if anything happens to the company, they'll patch out the DRM.

So really, while more platforms is always cool, and is potentially (but not definitely) more profitable for them, it's not like it's necessary.
Zidders

Postby MrImmoli » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:07 pm

-- removed by moderator --

Anyway, they wouldn't have to do anything with the multiplayer. GOG already includes games with DRM-ed multiplayer (ARMA 2, and Brutal Legend). And they plan on letting games like Planetary Annihilation on that have a central server + LAN (Just like Torchlight 2).

All they'd have to do is remove the online authentication.
Last edited by BrianW on Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: violation of forum rules
MrImmoli

Postby Serkevan » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:05 pm

-- removed by moderator --

I honestly didn't know about MP games being sold on GOG, thanks for the heads up.

EDIT: and removing the online authentication probably won't happen anyway, because to play online you need an online account, to which you have to log in.
Last edited by BrianW on Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removing response to previous post as it was removed due to a rule violation
Serkevan

Postby Jonny8787 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:53 pm

Not trying to necro this thread or anything but, I'm still waiting on Runic to release this game DRM Free on GOG. :-)

It's been 1 year and a half since this game has been released and tbh I'm not sure what Runic is waiting for, the game is still wanted by the GOG community.

I'd be more than happy to be able to play the game in Single Player Mode or across LAN only, I'll pay full price I don't care, I just want a simple DRM Free version.
Jonny8787

Postby MrImmoli » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:33 pm

Bump. Pirates have the game already. Why not sell it to people who want to pay for it?
MrImmoli

Postby D2Hans » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:51 pm

MrImmoli wrote:Bump. Pirates have the game already. Why not sell it to people who want to pay for it?

You can buy the game from Steam and Runic. Having it on GoG would be nice addition
D2Hans

Postby dreamrider » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:02 pm

Umm...
I don't think there really is any DRM on this game. Go ahead and get it from runic.

dreamrider
dreamrider

Postby Zidders » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:19 am

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=53545#p452129

Quoting Jedi:

Spoiler: show
"We currently do not have any announcements about bringing Torchlight II to GOG.

Our DRM is something we have talked about before - this is an updated version of the statement I made on the subject before we launched (updated language now that we have launched):

1 - We have, to date, NEVER turned down a single request for additional activations on Torchlight. It is actually rare for someone to consume TEN activations over a multi year period. I think we have had maybe 2-3 dozen?

2 - If you ask us for activation increases - We have access to the activation logs - if we see you requesting large volumes of activations from different regions of the world and different computers within a short time, We will be concerned and will ask you about it. We will want to know what is going on in that kind of sketchy situation (which, you must admit, would be really rare unless you managed to be plane hopping around the world and re-installing the game on a new computer at every airport and hotel along the way - at which point we will ask why, the story alone would be worth hearing :-P ). If you ask us for activation increases and we see you have activated a bunch from your same computer or IP address, we will know that too.

3 - We want you to be able to play the game the way you want. I want to stress this in a way only Dr. Seuss can:

We do not care if you install it on all the computers in your house. We do not care if you use your mouse. You can try to install on WINE. If it works, that's mighty fine! You can play it on your LAN, you can play it on the "can" (although that might be difficult). We will up your activations, Sam-I-Am.

4 - There are only two versions of the game: Steam and Runic. All our non-steam partners (Perfect World, Daedalic, IWAN) use the Runic version. The Runic DRM is essentially the same as we had on Torchlight 1 - that is, a key with a generous number of activations by default (the default is ten activations).

5 - The Runic Version is an "unlockable" demo similar Torchlight 1. This means you can download, install and play without ever purchasing a key, the game just has some restrictions. In Torchlight 1, we had a timed demo - 2 hours of gameplay time (only counting time you are running the game. In Torchlight II, the game restricts your character to level 15 and the areas in Act 1 that are level appropriate (IIRC that gets you up to around General Grell). In addition, you cannot play LAN or Internet Multiplayer in the demo. If you like the game, you can click "buy now" from the launcher and get a key, put it in and never get bothered again. No re-downloading. No re-installing. Just unlock and get back to the loot.

6 - With our DRM you will only need to activate ONCE on a computer, it will never dial home again (normal caveats about re-activating after reformatting your computer apply). There are no rootkits. There are no custom driver bullshit. There is nothing that accesses or interferes with ANYTHING ELSE on your computer. PERIOD.

7 - If you have no internet access, we can still activate you! Send us an email at support@runicgames.com requesting offline activation and include your key, we will provide you with a few quick steps to have you generate an "authorization request" code from your game launcher and send that to us, and we will generate you an "activation" code that you can put into the client to activate it without any internet connection at all.

8 - To play internet multiplayer, you need a Runic Account and that account needs to "own the game". You can create your account here: https://secure.runicgames.com - if you have the Runic version, you can register your key which will flag your account with game ownership. Doing so gives you access to internet multiplayer AND the convenience of knowing where to find your key if you lose the email we sent it to you from. If you have the game on Steam, you can link your Steam account and our system will check with Steam and flag your account if you own the game as well. Steam account linking is also useful to help you find your Steam friends when playing internet multiplayer.

9 - Your Runic Account is what you will log into for INTERNET multiplayer. LAN multiplayer has NO LOGINS or any other requirement. You just start a game and start playing.

10 - As we have stated before. In the extremely unlikely event that something happens and we have to stop supporting our product. We WILL release a patch that will remove ANY activation requirements at all. I know some of you will see this as an empty promise and there is not really anything I can say that will convince you otherwise. I can only say that has been our statement from the beginning and will not change."

In my opinion using 'it's already been pirated a bunch, so you might as well' isn't really the best line of reasoning to go about using, no matter how logical it is. The fact that it's been torrented isn't cool and is a really demoralizing fact for them, so it's kinda like trying to ask a favor of someone and pouring salt in their wound while you're doing it.
Zidders

Postby Jonny8787 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:19 am

Not sure why Runic keeps on insisting about not releasing this on GOG, what's there to lose? There are people out there that are still waiting for this game to go DRM-Free so they can buy it. The game has reached a certain level of maturity and if not mistaken it hasn't received a patch in months so it's not like Runic have to release special patches for GOG all the time.

I for one don't give a damn about online Multiplayer in this game, LAN is always there so I don't have to worry and besides I enjoy the game by myself either way. Just look at the recently released Divinity Original Sin on GOG, no online Multiplayer yet it's the number 1 top seller on the site.

And something regarding piracy: Yes pirates are all merrily playing this game DRM-Free (and cost-free for the matter) but DRM or not they'll still pirate this game because piracy is unavoidable and some people just don't want to pay a cent no matter what.

DRM is stupid plain and simple and doesn't do anything to prevent piracy, no matter how light the protection is ultimately the one that suffers is the honest customer. When I bought TL1 I was happy there was no DRM and was the reason why I bought it and enjoyed it, when TL2 was released I changed opinion regarding Runic and unfortunately it's still that way to this day.
Jonny8787

Postby Serkevan » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:30 am

The only DRM to TL2 is the online activation for playing online. Crazy, huh. I don't know if it counts as DRM for GOG, honestly, but that's pretty much the only thing Runic's launcher does.
Serkevan

Postby Mygaffer » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:40 pm

I really want a GOG release as well. I bought Torchlight 1 on Steam and GOG, and would gladly buy a completely DRM free version of Torchlight 2 on GOG.com as well, even though I already have it on Steam.
Any of my favorite games that go up for sale on GOG.com are instant buy for me. Runic seems to know how many us, especially the old school PC gamers, value the DRM free stuff.
Mygaffer

Postby Mygaffer » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:43 pm

Zidders wrote:http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=53545#p452129

Quoting Jedi:

Spoiler: show
"We currently do not have any announcements about bringing Torchlight II to GOG.

Our DRM is something we have talked about before - this is an updated version of the statement I made on the subject before we launched (updated language now that we have launched):

1 - We have, to date, NEVER turned down a single request for additional activations on Torchlight. It is actually rare for someone to consume TEN activations over a multi year period. I think we have had maybe 2-3 dozen?

2 - If you ask us for activation increases - We have access to the activation logs - if we see you requesting large volumes of activations from different regions of the world and different computers within a short time, We will be concerned and will ask you about it. We will want to know what is going on in that kind of sketchy situation (which, you must admit, would be really rare unless you managed to be plane hopping around the world and re-installing the game on a new computer at every airport and hotel along the way - at which point we will ask why, the story alone would be worth hearing :-P ). If you ask us for activation increases and we see you have activated a bunch from your same computer or IP address, we will know that too.

3 - We want you to be able to play the game the way you want. I want to stress this in a way only Dr. Seuss can:

We do not care if you install it on all the computers in your house. We do not care if you use your mouse. You can try to install on WINE. If it works, that's mighty fine! You can play it on your LAN, you can play it on the "can" (although that might be difficult). We will up your activations, Sam-I-Am.

4 - There are only two versions of the game: Steam and Runic. All our non-steam partners (Perfect World, Daedalic, IWAN) use the Runic version. The Runic DRM is essentially the same as we had on Torchlight 1 - that is, a key with a generous number of activations by default (the default is ten activations).

5 - The Runic Version is an "unlockable" demo similar Torchlight 1. This means you can download, install and play without ever purchasing a key, the game just has some restrictions. In Torchlight 1, we had a timed demo - 2 hours of gameplay time (only counting time you are running the game. In Torchlight II, the game restricts your character to level 15 and the areas in Act 1 that are level appropriate (IIRC that gets you up to around General Grell). In addition, you cannot play LAN or Internet Multiplayer in the demo. If you like the game, you can click "buy now" from the launcher and get a key, put it in and never get bothered again. No re-downloading. No re-installing. Just unlock and get back to the loot.

6 - With our DRM you will only need to activate ONCE on a computer, it will never dial home again (normal caveats about re-activating after reformatting your computer apply). There are no rootkits. There are no custom driver bullshit. There is nothing that accesses or interferes with ANYTHING ELSE on your computer. PERIOD.

7 - If you have no internet access, we can still activate you! Send us an email at support@runicgames.com requesting offline activation and include your key, we will provide you with a few quick steps to have you generate an "authorization request" code from your game launcher and send that to us, and we will generate you an "activation" code that you can put into the client to activate it without any internet connection at all.

8 - To play internet multiplayer, you need a Runic Account and that account needs to "own the game". You can create your account here: https://secure.runicgames.com - if you have the Runic version, you can register your key which will flag your account with game ownership. Doing so gives you access to internet multiplayer AND the convenience of knowing where to find your key if you lose the email we sent it to you from. If you have the game on Steam, you can link your Steam account and our system will check with Steam and flag your account if you own the game as well. Steam account linking is also useful to help you find your Steam friends when playing internet multiplayer.

9 - Your Runic Account is what you will log into for INTERNET multiplayer. LAN multiplayer has NO LOGINS or any other requirement. You just start a game and start playing.

10 - As we have stated before. In the extremely unlikely event that something happens and we have to stop supporting our product. We WILL release a patch that will remove ANY activation requirements at all. I know some of you will see this as an empty promise and there is not really anything I can say that will convince you otherwise. I can only say that has been our statement from the beginning and will not change."

In my opinion using 'it's already been pirated a bunch, so you might as well' isn't really the best line of reasoning to go about using, no matter how logical it is. The fact that it's been torrented isn't cool and is a really demoralizing fact for them, so it's kinda like trying to ask a favor of someone and pouring salt in their wound while you're doing it.

Asking to buy their game all over again isn't asking for a favor. No DRM and no activations has value, as evidenced from the people like me who buy games a second time when they hit GOG.com

The piracy argument has no place here, history has shown us that the GOG versions of games get pirated the least. Just go check any torrent site.

I have faith Runic will release a GOG.com version, just as they did for Torchlight 1. To not do so would be short sighted and a slight to the fans, in my humble opinion.
Mygaffer

Return to Torchlight II General Discussion