Tundra Berserker

Discuss the Berserker, a savage barbarian.

Tundra Berserker

Postby Ihategoldenrods » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:36 pm

I was thinking of rolling an axe/sword and shield Zerker since I did in the beta but I don't see anyone talking about the Tundra spec. Is it really that inferior to Hunter and Shadow or is there just less known about the spec?

http://torchlight.wikia.com/wiki/Berserker_Skills in case you're wondering about Tundra skills. No hard numbers on the wiki yet.
Ihategoldenrods

Re: Tundra Berserker

Postby elci » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:24 am

I don't think it is inferior at all. It has some cool skills and I actually plan on adding some of the tundra skills to my "training" build :)
elci

Postby FroKni » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:44 am

It is not inferior, it is not what i look for though.
FroKni

Postby Edheldur » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:27 am

In the Beta I actually created a Berzerker for each skill type. As in one went full Blood, other Tundra and lastly full Shadow.

Shadow seems to be the best, Berzerker seems to be fine while Tundra just lacks. I know in a game you might not go full on one skill type, but really Tundra might work well in combination with other trees. I felt like Ice Breath was inferior in many ways than Howl. It was just a waste of time to use both Howl or Ice Breath. The Cold Steel passive seemed good, but really early on you want heal on crits, and longer duration on your Berzerker Rage (when you have 100% crit). The Storm Axe Throw skill from Tundra really seemed pointless. The Tundra enchant where your attacks unleash chain lighting is really good. That one is a good 1 point investment.

But the problem with a Berzerker is that he needs to stay in and he needs to stay alive although he is very fragile, so that's why you go for Heal on Crit, longer Rage duration, Howl (reduces enemy damage and movement speed in AOE around him), Shadow Dash (mobility and heal).

Berzerker is probably one of the harder classes to grasp fully, and we might not see it played as intended (just like in Diablo2 all assassins were using traps).
Edheldur

Postby wolfmane » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:47 am

Here's a more in depth look at the skills: http://www.runicgamesfansite.com/members/webbstre-albums-pax-2012-tl2-skill-trees.html.

Frost Breath changed heavily from the beta. I had the same issues with it as well regarding its usefulness. As you'll see now, it looks much more promising.

At any rate, the short of it is that Frost is certainly a viable build and I plan on making a frost 'zerker as maybe my second character. I'd actually like to get some friends together with ice builds, something like two zerkers and two mages, to see how nasty that would be with all of the freeze going around.

When I played, it was certainly difficult to start out with. I ended up setting difficulty on the lowest setting just to get enough skill points past the gimpy Frost Breath and into a few skills like Northern Rage and Permafrost. I also worked heavily on getting ice damage enhancing gear, which I had some help with from friends. Once I did all of that I rolled onto the end of Act 1 in Elite difficulty and started pawning face. I still had to rely on my charge bar and doing melee damage for some supplemental damage support, I wasn't completely casting based, but it was a pretty good combination where I would do about 80-90% of my damage with frost and then mop up the rest with melee or charge bar melt any unique mobs.

Since things have changed since beta it will be interesting to see what kind of adjustments I'll need to make for the next version of my frost zerker. I look forward to the challenge.
wolfmane

Postby WhisperByte » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:03 pm

From my point of view stacking a lot of cold damage and using cold (inate, enchanted or socketed) weapons with really high crit chance makes Shatter Storm an extremely fun passive. It basically translates to "100% chance to cast frost nova on every kill with a critical hit or within few seconds of critical hit"
Omae wa mo shindeiru
WhisperByte

Postby BemusedBear » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:47 am

A Tundra (or Ice)-Zerker was one of the builds Doom talked about in the first in the build diversity article on the Runic Games Fansite (http://www.runicgamesfansite.com/conten ... erker.html)

Similarly, here is an "Ice Shaman" type build I have been fiddling with in the theorycrafting stages:
Spoiler: show
Actives:
1. Howl: [area debuff: reduce move, attack, and cast speed. Increase damage taken]
2. Frost breath: [%wdps as ice damage, freeze chance, immobilize chance, increase damage taken]
3. Storm Hatchet [%wdps as electric, reduce move speed]
4. Northern Rage [AOE %wdps, ice damage (iwpl), freeze chance, shieldbreak chance, knockback]
5. Iceshield: [chance to reflect missles, generates charge]
6. Permafrost: [AOE ice damage (iwpl)]
7. Glacial Shater: [AOE geysers, blinds, ice damges (iwpl), knockback, interrupt chance.]
8. Battle Standard: [buff dodge chance, charge rate, knock back resist (t1, mana recharge)
Passives:
9. Cold Steel Mastery [physical & ice damage +%]
10. Shatter Storm [aoe, immobilize, chance freeze, ice armor decreased on kill of frozen enemies]

My thought would be to find a nice ice-staff, and maybe put more stat points into Focus and Vitality then your average Zerker build. This way he would play more like a caster type class.
BemusedBear

Postby CrashFu » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:33 pm

I've been expecting Tundra-focused, ice-staff-wielding berserkers to be INCREDIBLY popular builds..

When you're a melee DPS class, having a reliable ability to slow enemies' movement and, more importantly, attack rates is a VERY good thing. Simply put you'll be locking enemies down and making them easy prey, and increasing your own survivability immensely. Would likely stack well with that passive that reduces enemy armor and increases your own on every melee hit.

Have they changed "Cold Steel mastery" since beta? What was it, again.. a bonus to all melee weapon damage, plus an additional bonus to melee weapon cold damage? It's a passive that just screams "equip an ice staff to do ridiculous damage!"

Also, strongly consider either of the skills that trade your Rage for health or mana bonus. The health restore would supplement your enemy-slowing capabilities to the point of outright tankiness, while the mana restore would allow for nearly uninterrupted flinging of icy magic.
The simultaneous use of a 1-hand melee weapon and a 1-hand ranged weapon shall henceforth be known as "Swashbuckling";
It needed a really cool name to make up for the fact that nobody likes to do it.
CrashFu

Postby Benpasko » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:32 am

CrashFu wrote:I've been expecting Tundra-focused, ice-staff-wielding berserkers to be INCREDIBLY popular builds..

When you're a melee DPS class, having a reliable ability to slow enemies' movement and, more importantly, attack rates is a VERY good thing. Simply put you'll be locking enemies down and making them easy prey, and increasing your own survivability immensely. Would likely stack well with that passive that reduces enemy armor and increases your own on every melee hit.

Have they changed "Cold Steel mastery" since beta? What was it, again.. a bonus to all melee weapon damage, plus an additional bonus to melee weapon cold damage? It's a passive that just screams "equip an ice staff to do ridiculous damage!"

Also, strongly consider either of the skills that trade your Rage for health or mana bonus. The health restore would supplement your enemy-slowing capabilities to the point of outright tankiness, while the mana restore would allow for nearly uninterrupted flinging of icy magic.

Yeah, that's what I'm rolling right now on my hardcore toon. It's crazy effective.
Benpasko

Postby FroKni » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:03 pm

FroKni wrote:It is not inferior, it is not what i look for though.

I eat my words, it is exactly what i have been looking for, and it might be the strongest class build tanking wise, you can pretty much face-tank everything that's not instakill you. Which by the way is a slim chance because of your armor, dodge and shield.

I focus mainly on strength, vitality second and dexterity last. I thought about giving to focus once in a while but it's not worth it.

All in all, not only you are very tanky, can face-tank everything and freeze enemies. You also deal significant amount of aoe damage. I vote Tundra Berserker for the highest survivability class in the game.
FroKni

Postby Afran » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:38 pm

Curious as to what you're using exactly, I'm liking it so far over my level 22 Clawzerk, now at level 12 with this Zerker but 5 skill points unspent as unsure what would be considered must haves, suggestions? Playstyle is being tanky but having nice AoE dps, I'm stacking ice stuff and thus have 5 Cold Steel Mastery so far and 1 Frost Breath, nothing else :p
Afran

Postby FroKni » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:52 am

Afran wrote:Curious as to what you're using exactly, I'm liking it so far over my level 22 Clawzerk, now at level 12 with this Zerker but 5 skill points unspent as unsure what would be considered must haves, suggestions? Playstyle is being tanky but having nice AoE dps, I'm stacking ice stuff and thus have 5 Cold Steel Mastery so far and 1 Frost Breath, nothing else :p

I skipped cold steel mastery for now. As it is not that important early in the game. Maxing Frost breath and Stormclaw is a lot more important, in my opinion. For passives i favor Shatterstorm, Rage Retalation and Shred Armor. I got one point in blood hunger, which i am planning to max when i have the points. I am not far into the game by the way. Just finished act 1. We'll see how it progresses.
FroKni

Postby MGCelestino84 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:12 pm

focus berserker using a staff with ice element on it...sounds sexy
MGCelestino84

Return to Berserker Discussion