Has anyone ever actually used Chain Snare in a build?

Discuss the Berserker, a savage barbarian.

Has anyone ever actually used Chain Snare in a build?

Postby yojimboj » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:10 pm

I mean, ever in the history of the game? I'm curious if it would fit into a DW autoattack build, especially if taken to Tier 2 or 3, or if it's just better to put points into Shadowbind or Battle Rage to achieve a similar CC effect.

Currently starting a 2 sword autoattack build around Storm Claw plus passives, just for style points, and to test out the skills that no one ever talks about!
yojimboj

Re: Has anyone ever actually used Chain Snare in a build?

Postby SweatLaser » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:11 pm

I used it in a couple of previous Berzerker builds (along with Shadowbind). I didn't like it much until Tier II when the range increases. I'm not sure how effective it is in Elite, especially NG+, where you often prefer to maintain a distance from even smaller enemies rather than pulling them in really close (even if they're stunned for a couple of seconds). On other difficulties it may be a good way to take out crowds especially since you're getting splash damage by foregoing claws and using swords instead. My current Berzerker is DW and I keep axes/swords in slot I and a pair of claws in slot II when I can focus in on one champion/boss.
SweatLaser

Postby Reeload69 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:03 am

You can do some nasty sh*t with Chain Snare if you combine it with things like Shadowbind and Red Wolf. Been there, done that. Also with a weapon that conveyed silence each hit. I always wanted to run around and pull sh*t like dolls with Spawn chains :D My build wasn't very well planned and I ended up ditching the character, but Chain Snare turned out better than expected.

I'm currently field-testing new builds, trying to make something really weird. Here's one:
http://torchlight2armory.com/skill-calc ... 71bbJJS0i8

Stats: mostly STR, like a shotgun outlander.
Weapon: Shotgun or cannon. I think I'll opt for a shotgun fro the range. I know I'm dropping many melee passives for this, but I think this one will work. The cannons have a stun, and the shotguns have more range. Both have cone damage, so it will be good for health/mana steal. Ice-type weapons/enchants preferred.
Armor: Sh*tloads of HP and elemental armor/reduction (you get phys%reduction from BR). Just need to survive a shot here and there, health will come from stealing (FB or auto attacks) and Shade. That's why no other healing spells.
Convey effects: Health/mana steal (%steal from armor sets is cool), stuns and/or silence, -armor or dots (not sure, we'll see what's better).

Gameplay: run like a crazy motherf*cker, roar and breathe right and left, drag helpless enemies around like dolls and shoot them with huge guns in the face point-blank.

Mobility? Check. -- 9m Wolfstrike, increased frenzy time, can drag enemies with you.
Control? Check. -- Chain Snare/Wolfstrike stuns, pulls and knockback, stun/silence/knockback from weapons (very easy to proc with CS, especially Tier2), Frost Breath and Howl slow things down or root in place, 50% Shatter Storm also takes care of 'splosions.
Survivability? Check. -- Ice Shield, Battle Rage.
Resource management? Check. -- Wolf Shade, Frost Breath, conal auto attacks = health and mana
Damage? Not sure. I'm kinda worried about single-target damage, but maybe collateral damage from trash mobs can help with boss damage if done correctly.

Now you can wonder... Why the hell would I pick a shotgun with that kit? Simple - for survivability. Wolfstrike away, aim, bang, full health and mana. That's what I think it will look like.

Welp... I'm brainf*cked. Tell me what you guys think, feel free to try and modify the build now that you get the idea. I'll go test a bit now and come back when I gathered some experience :) Cheers!
"Welp, we're boned!"
--Bender the Robot
Reeload69

Postby Reeload69 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:19 am

Update: Focus-based alternative with somewhat similar (yet different) gameplay, more frosty and blowuppy: http://torchlight2armory.com/skill-calc ... uRCX4oO7Bd

Get dual wands with health/mana steal, -armor and GET A SILENCE. Conveyed silence preferred. Why? Because ground-based damage doesn't get reflected by Ice Shield. Better run around like a freak and silence things before they kill you.
How to play? Wolf Shade and Ice Shield always up. Permafrost the whole screen, run in with Savage Rush, grab the whole screen by the balls with Chain Snare, run through them with Rush again to shred their armor and blow up the whole party with Northern Rage. Fill up on health and mana with a few hits from wands (charge up in the process), repeat.

Maybe it's not the most efficient build, but it sounds hella fun and I'm trying it out next.

EDIT: Might add 1 point in Shadow Burst for early survivability. I hate to theorycraft too much, TL2 is anti-theory friendly imo.
"Welp, we're boned!"
--Bender the Robot
Reeload69

Postby Gunhulk » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:27 am

In my experience chain snare before 5 points feels a bit useless but after 5 Points it becomes very powerfull for a DW autoattack build. Use it with gear that have extra splash damage and chain snare will position the mobs perfectly for melee splash.

Reeload69 cheers for the dual wand berserker, I think berserker are actually quite fit for using dual wands with the benefits of frenzy and execute. Something really usefull is to use wands wich have poison as the first damage stat, they will fire target seeking missiles wich is extremely usefull when kiting.
Gunhulk

Postby Reeload69 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:16 am

Gunhulk wrote:In my experience chain snare before 5 points feels a bit useless but after 5 Points it becomes very powerfull for a DW autoattack build. Use it with gear that have extra splash damage and chain snare will position the mobs perfectly for melee splash.

Can you explain? I thought T1 is nothing more than a longer stun, am I wrong?
Gunhulk wrote:Reeload69 cheers for the dual wand berserker, I think berserker are actually quite fit for using dual wands with the benefits of frenzy and execute. Something really usefull is to use wands wich have poison as the first damage stat, they will fire target seeking missiles wich is extremely usefull when kiting.

Poison wands are so damn slow, I hate them ._.To be honest, I'd rather dual wield a pair of full-elemental pistols. They're the the most reliable dual wield option for stealing hp/mp. But, until you get a pair you're left with physical pistols on a Focus-based character. That's why I picked wands. If I get an elemental pistol you can bet I'll switch a wand for it :)
"Welp, we're boned!"
--Bender the Robot
Reeload69

Postby Gunhulk » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:21 am

Can you explain? I thought T1 is nothing more than a longer stun, am I wrong? [/quote]

My bad yes T1 "only" increases stun lenght. When i used it on my base attack berserker it became extremely powerfull at T2 wich is where the range increases to 9 m.

Dual guns sounds fun but in my view theres something awesome with homing missile attacks. Probably looks elite with dual guns when execute is maxed tough.
Gunhulk

Return to Berserker Discussion