Any word on when TorchED2 releases?

Forum for discussing the Torchlight II mod toolset.

Any word on when TorchED2 releases?

Postby Soulmancer » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:24 am

Haven't really found any information about the tentative release date of the editor.
Soulmancer

Re: Any word on when TorchED2 releases?

Postby paledoor » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:42 am

They've said several times that it's being polished and that tutorials are being made. No date of any kind has been given.
There is no birth and no cessation. There is no impurity and no purity. There is no decrease and no increase.
Spoiler: show
paledoor

Postby JoystickMonkey » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:44 am

Yup, it's being worked on! You want me to send you a PM when there's an official announcement?
Runic Level Design
Teaching my Headcrab the finer points of necromancy.
JoystickMonkey
Runic Staff

Postby wizaerd » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:25 am

JoystickMonkey wrote:Yup, it's being worked on! You want me to send you a PM when there's an official announcement?

Is this aquestion for everyone/anyone? I'd sure like a PM when it's announced!
wizaerd

Postby JoystickMonkey » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:39 am

Soulmancer made a really extensive and popular D2 mod, so I'm happy to drop him a PM.
Runic Level Design
Teaching my Headcrab the finer points of necromancy.
JoystickMonkey
Runic Staff

Postby DewBer » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:08 pm

JoystickMonkey wrote:Soulmancer made a really extensive and popular D2 mod, so I'm happy to drop him a PM.

some are still playing it. cant wait to see what he does with the editor
DewBer

Postby Salan » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:09 pm

nice, i think TL2 will have a very viable and long life with all these great modders coming over!

ahh he made hell unleashed, cool!
Synergies Conversion mod: http://www.synergiesmod.com
Elite monsters, Hero monsters, world bosses, rare dragons, rare trolls, three tiers of End Game Raids, Legendary Armor sets, NEW Legendary Weapons, 3 new classes, Mercenaries, and Angels!

Salan

Postby Soulmancer » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:44 pm

Well I frequent the forums to see what everyone is working on but I just hadn't heard or seen any news about the editor lately.
Soulmancer

Postby lyravega » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:31 pm

Oh man, TorchED2 you say? *drools*

*gurgle*
I will be migrating to Steam Workshop soon; not to worry, I won't drop non-Steam support, I will just copy/paste stuff from workshop pages instead of writing same but different "article" three times for every mod.
lyravega

Postby Omnimmotus » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:55 pm

Been checking the forums on a semi-regular basis waiting for its release. Once it's released, I can really begin to enjoy Torchlight 2 in earnest. :3 I've some interesting ideas, but they'll probably be nothing compared to the works of art the community will release.

I'm eager to get at Torchlight 2's innards! But you took your time releasing Torchlight 2 and really did it right, so I'd say take your time with the editor as well so you can do it just as well.
Omnimmotus

Postby bran » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:15 pm

just because i cant make any mods (apparently because of windows xp where dat->pak conversion is not operating) i have to wait for GUTS. i don't want to rush runic games, but meanwhile im running out of motivation, just because everyone makes wonderful mods and i cant do anything. :(
Last edited by bran on Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Clouddancer Mod
- currently working on: "The Gloom"-Mod - fiendish stuff including the Igniter Demon class
"Never sweet the kiss of cold steel..." (bal sagoth)
painting stuff - my gallery: http://bran.cgsociety.org/gallery/
bran

Postby BTez » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:47 pm

JoystickMonkey wrote:Yup, it's being worked on! You want me to send you a PM when there's an official announcement?

I was guessing there was going to be a definitive post on both the News section of the forums and on the Runic Twitter feed when the big moment approaches. I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned to reassure people where they can be watching to know when the what happens.
BTez

Postby Zidders » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:20 pm

bran wrote:just because i cant make any mods (apparently because of windows xp where dat->txt conversion is not operating) i have to wait for GUTS. i don't want to rush runic games, but meanwhile im running out of motivation, just because everyone makes wonderful mods and i cant do anything. :(

So? Plenty of people are going to start making even better mods when GUTS comes out.
(Also, win7 > xp Seriously. I loved xp, too but Win7 is actually pretty good...unless you enjoy playing Scarface:The World is Yours :( )
Zidders

Postby bran » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:48 am

Zidders wrote:
bran wrote:just because i cant make any mods (apparently because of windows xp where dat->txt conversion is not operating) i have to wait for GUTS. i don't want to rush runic games, but meanwhile im running out of motivation, just because everyone makes wonderful mods and i cant do anything. :(

So? Plenty of people are going to start making even better mods when GUTS comes out.
(Also, win7 > xp Seriously. I loved xp, too but Win7 is actually pretty good...unless you enjoy playing Scarface:The World is Yours :( )

it wasnt meant as an offense, pardon me. :(
i want to be part of the modding community and learn and share about things. but as long GUTS isnt out yet my hands are tied...

on work, we use win7, too, its a nice os. but at home, i have xp. i cant change the os on the fly because of program versions & licenses (some are expensive, and i dont want to spend much money on upgrades just because of the possibilty to create pak-files for tl2 (i hope you understand the conflict ill have regarding this ;) ).

AND i beg that GUTS will be usable under xp. i already offered the gods my soul and some cups of hot coffee!
- Clouddancer Mod
- currently working on: "The Gloom"-Mod - fiendish stuff including the Igniter Demon class
"Never sweet the kiss of cold steel..." (bal sagoth)
painting stuff - my gallery: http://bran.cgsociety.org/gallery/
bran

Postby Marsh » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:23 pm

Hello everybody - an update on the Editor.

So what are we doing?

Well first off we have the editor making mods. We can share them locally and play them multiplayer. One of the major hang-ups we are attempting to fix is making the game not crash terribly when you uninstall a mod. So far things are looking great. For instance if you play a character that received specific quests, items, effects, monsters or levels from a specific mod the UI will tell you what will be deleted if you continue without the mod installed. You can also deactivate specific mods per character. We also have the notion of required mods. Required mods would be mods that create specific classes or pet. If you don't have that specific mod installed that character just won't be playable. Also the game has the concept of mods installed and mods active. You can have 200 mods installed but only 3 active. If you specify a character that requires a mod to be active and it currently isn't the game will automatically activate it and you can continue playing with that character. If you select a character that had a bunch of none-required mods active last time played the game will attempt to activate them unless you tell it( the game ) not to by a simple UI check list.

Oh and yes any character that was ever played with a mod will be flagged.

We are still going through the editor and making all sorts of fixes for when things are modified via mods. We are attempting to make the editor a little nicer for modder's. For instance all you to do is select the mod your working on and any changes you make or new monsters; rooms; levels; dungeons - anything - will automatically be saved for that mod. The editor will show you a tree view of all the changed files too. It's much nicer than what we had for TL1.

Release date - I would hate to give specifics but we are also trying to get all the translations out as well as some small expansion packs for the holidays. Read into that as you like. I can say that I feel the mod system we have in place is pretty slick and intuitive - can't wait for you guys to try it out.

ALSO - we have everybody in the office creating tutorials. So we already have a bunch of how-to's and we are making more all the time.

Hope everybody has a nice holiday season. I'm going to get back to work now.
Marsh
Runic Staff

Postby Zidders » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:43 pm

Marsh, I could just about kiss you. Thanks for the update, it means a lot and the way you guys are setting it up is even better than I could have expected. Take your time, though. Better to have it out after the holidays and have it as fine tuned as possible. You folks rock!

Marsh wrote:

Hoo boy. This is gonna be the gift that keeps on giving for the next few weeks :P

Marsh wrote:Hope everybody has a nice holiday season. I'm going to get back to work now.

Happy holidays to all of you and yours, Marsh. Please everyone be safe this holiday season.
Zidders

Postby Dusho » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:49 pm

Thnx Marsh.
Active mods sounds fine, unless mods will start activating itself and overriding mods lower in priority. Are mods prioritized like it was done in TL1?
Also hope there is some solution for TL2 patches updating original .PAK file with newest time overriding all your older mod .PAKs (so shutting down mods).
Dusho

Postby myhideout6 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:11 pm

Marsh wrote:Hello everybody - an update on the Editor.

So what are we doing?

your kidding right? new flag named for modded characters.... or did you just define modding as cheating and if that is true you may as well be.....

I remember your last flag already hows that one doing.....?
Cheaters Never Prosper! :) Our World is riddled with Cheats and Frauds good thing they downloaded Rapid Respec or i would probably keep trying to accept their quest!
Steam = mikerobinsond
myhideout6

Postby lyravega » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:06 pm

Marsh wrote:Oh and yes any character that was ever played with a mod will be flagged.

What kind of a flag are we talking about? If you are going to flag everyone for using any mod, that is a terrible idea. Since there are mods that may be counted as cheats, anyone using other mods that enhance gameplay, UI, etc... will also get flagged and both will be in the same group: flagged for modding. And this is why flagging is a terrible idea, people trying to be legit & avoid flagging will be driven away from mods alltogether. I won't make any mods if it will flag the users, for example. Unless, a white list is also introduced.
I will be migrating to Steam Workshop soon; not to worry, I won't drop non-Steam support, I will just copy/paste stuff from workshop pages instead of writing same but different "article" three times for every mod.
lyravega

Postby Maelkyral » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:41 pm

What does 3 active mods mean exactly? If I'm playing a character that requires 4 different mods to support all its items/skills then it won't work?

Disappointing news regarding the flagging. Will mods made without GUTS (i.e. existing PAK file based mods) also suffer from this? If not, I think I will avoid using GUTS altogether and just stick to other tools. If all mods suffer from this..I don't want to think about that.
Maelkyral

Next

Return to Torchlight II Mod Discussion