Hand Crossbows v1.6 (GUTS)

Want to share your mod with the world? Feel free!

Hand Crossbows v1.6 (GUTS)

Postby Soryuu » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:37 pm

Download v1.6 (Dropbox) // Runic Games Fansite Mirror

April 9th - v1.6:
- Converted to POST-GUTS! Any problems, let me know.
- Changed icons. They look more consistent now.
- Hand Crossbows generally have lower DPS than pistols but can now deal more reliable damage. (Details: Pistol base damage: 50-100; Hand crossbow base damage: 70-70)
- Updated in-game description.
- Added affixes to uniques. Balanced them as best as I could.
Spoiler: show
March 18th - 1.56:
- Fixed another icon not showing up. All icons should be fixed.
March 2nd - 1.55:
- Fixed the icons on some unique hand crossbows because the icons weren't showing up in game.
- Changed soakscalepct (ignore armor) to 15%. I feel that will balance out for all difficulties, not just for Elite play. (I've only added the ignore armor as a placeholder stat until GUTS comes out).
February 24, 2013 - V1.5 (Major Update):
- Removed the piercing bolt skill completely. I did, however, figure out why it was missing targets, but I couldn't figure out how to make it pierce as intended without it bugging out. It was more trouble than it was worth, so I'm waiting for GUTS to come out to work on that.
- Instead, they will now ignore 25% armor with auto-attacks, and they have slightly higher range than pistols.
- All uniques have names. They have some room for improvement, though.
- Uniques still need fixed affixes (for the sake of keeping things consistent).
- Cleaned up the mod and got rid of any unnecessary files.

INSTALLATION (For non-Steam users)
Move the file over to "\Users\<your_username>\Documents\My Games\Runic Games\Torchlight 2\mods"
Run the modlauncher and make sure you have the mod checked on the list before you launch the game with mods.

IMAGES
In-game screenshot / Preview (Shows all modified crossbow models)

ABOUT
This mod adds new weapons called Hand Crossbows. They are treated as a pistol unittype, for now, and use pistol animations. They also spawn in the game along with pistols at blacksmiths, drops from monsters, etc. Any skill in the game that requires a ranged-weapon and/or pistol will work with hand crossbows. Generally, they have lower DPS than pistols but can deal more consistent, reliable damage and shoot slightly further away. Regular attacks can ignore 15% of armor. To help the balance between pistols and hand crossbows, all pistols are buffed by giving them +5 knockback.

I made this mod mainly for the aesthetic look of the crossbows but  did my best to implement them into the game without making pistols obsolete.  All uniques are fully affix'd and balanced them as best as I could. Until we figure out how to make new unittypes with GUTS, hand crossbows may become its own separate unittype in the future. This mod is far from done; no mod is ever finished as there's always something to improve upon. So if you have any feedback, comments,  and questions, please feel free to share!

Special thanks to...
- Runic Games for their excellent work on Torchlight II!
- Salan, Serkevan, lyravega, Zidders, and anybody else I forgot to mention for all your wonderful and helpful feedback and advice. Without this community, I would not have known where to begin with modding and to improve my mod.
- Dusho for the import/export script for Blender.
- OGRE Team for the mesh/xml conversion tools.
- Sluggington for the .LAYOUT editor. (PRE-GUTS)
- Jarcho, cienislaw, and anybody else who contributed to making the conversion tools. (PRE-GUTS)
- A special someone for giving me all the support I will ever need. I cannot express in words how much this person means to me.
Last edited by Soryuu on Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:19 am, edited 135 times in total.
Soryuu

Re: One-Handed Crossbows (Models ready, but items unfinished

Postby Cyberdyne12 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:32 pm

Awesome job Soryuu, I'm sure you put a lot of work into this.
You may not have the stats done but I love the aesthetic look. Thanks a lot for the mod!
Made an account just to say that!
Cyberdyne12

Postby lyravega » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:26 pm

Very cool!
I will be migrating to Steam Workshop soon; not to worry, I won't drop non-Steam support, I will just copy/paste stuff from workshop pages instead of writing same but different "article" three times for every mod.
lyravega

Postby miniminionette » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:03 pm

Vayne from LoL :lol: here I come :D
miniminionette

Postby Salan » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:23 pm

ya they look awesome, i'd like to include them in synergies, probably the best way to get them into the leveling grind from start to finish atm.

It won't be hard to get the random AFFIX'd ones in at least.
Synergies Conversion mod: http://www.synergiesmod.com
Elite monsters, Hero monsters, world bosses, rare dragons, rare trolls, three tiers of End Game Raids, Legendary Armor sets, NEW Legendary Weapons, 3 new classes, Mercenaries, and Angels!

Salan

Postby Soryuu » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:26 pm

Thanks everyone :D

@ Salan, feel free to use them in synergies!

Yeah, the normal and random magic ones are done (white, green, and blues) but I haven't touched uniques and legendaries yet. I still need to make up names and affixes for all of them. As for base stats, they're still using crossbow speed modifiers (except I changed them by 10% faster) but can easily be modified later
Soryuu

Postby Zidders » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:17 am

This is so cool!

"make them shoot faster than 2handed crossbows but have a bit lower base damage, and have higher range than pistols"

I would say make them fire faster and have more range than pistols or two handed crossbows but give them a lower damage output than either. Of course this mod should probably be used along side some sort of extended draw distance mod.

Also, what are the chances of maybe seeing some of the crossbows from the first game get modded into this one?
Zidders

Postby Sneedlebarp » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:11 am

Make them shoot faster than pistols with the sound/graphic of a crossbow and awesome Synergies stats and they are my new go-to weapon! I can see them being in the next tier of weapons!
Sneedlebarp

Postby Salan » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:34 am

Sneedlebarp wrote:Make them shoot faster than pistols with the sound/graphic of a crossbow and awesome Synergies stats and they are my new go-to weapon! I can see them being in the next tier of weapons!

its hard to shoot faster then a pistol hmmm range and knockback and maybe some soak damage % would make em different tho, but gotta balance it to not be OP in comparison or the pistols dissapear
Elite monsters, Hero monsters, world bosses, rare dragons, rare trolls, three tiers of End Game Raids, Legendary Armor sets, NEW Legendary Weapons, 3 new classes, Mercenaries, and Angels!

Salan

Postby Zidders » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:12 am

Seeing as there would be no reason to use a hand crossbow instead of a pistol unless it was magical or designed mechanically to fire faster than a pistol, i'm going to assume that the hand crossbows in this universe fire faster than pistols. SInce you're generally going to get pretty decent range with a pistol then i'm supposing that they fire a lot farther and a lot more accurately as well. Hence the "Fire faster and have more range" part of my suggestion.

Since you need something to counter that in order to keep them from being way too overpowered, I suggested that they be made to have a low damage output. This would give players the ability to deliver a rapid succession of shots to a target a really long way off while giving larger targets with more hit points a fair chance at getting close enough to do at least a little damage. This keeps the game from being too easy, gives the player a rush of excitement and causes them to strategize rather than just pick everything off from a distance.

Maybe make the damage fall off the farther away a target is, maybe. Hitting stuff that is farther off just isn't going to do as much damage as hitting stuff at close range.
Zidders

Postby Soryuu » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:43 am

@Salan,
Soak damage is a good idea, kinda like making hand crossbows like the claws of melee weapons...

@Zidders,
Maybe make the damage fall off the farther away a target is, maybe. Hitting stuff that is farther off just isn't going to do as much damage as hitting stuff at close range.

If I knew how to script that into the game, that would be amazing. It doesn't seem possible at the moment until tools come out, unless I improvise somehow... Some of the crossbows from the first one look very similar to the crossbows in TLII, but I'll take a closer look.

Thank you both for your suggestions!

So here's what I have for base stats: 15% faster firing speed and 15%(?) less damage than crossbows, longest range. 2handed crossbows have 12 range and make hand crossbows have 14-15? Maybe about +10-15 knockback?

How does armor shredding sound? Adding % soak damage is a maybe too.
Soryuu

Postby Zidders » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:55 am

Soryuu wrote:So here's what I have for base stats: 15% faster firing speed and 15%(?) less damage than crossbows, longest range. 2handed crossbows have 12 range and make hand crossbows have 14-15? Maybe about +10-15 knockback?

How does armor shredding sound? Adding % soak damage is a maybe too.

The 15%/15% sounds good. I like the range, too. Is that less knockback than the big bows? I wouldn't give them too much knockback but I like the sound of the armor piercing/shredding and soak damage.

I can't help it, I love dual wielding hehe.
Zidders

Postby Soryuu » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:08 am

Bows (regular 2handed bows) innately have knockback, I think. However crossbows don't have any knockback at all (except for some uniques and random affixes). Correct me if I'm wrong about that though.

So I think I'm going to skip on adding knockback and go with armor shredding and soakdamage...
Soryuu

Postby lyravega » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:42 am

How about piercing? Much like a cannon/shotgonne, but a very short arc/angle (like 5 degrees or something) this time. Not for hand crossbows though, for pistol. Does pistols have penetration?
I will be migrating to Steam Workshop soon; not to worry, I won't drop non-Steam support, I will just copy/paste stuff from workshop pages instead of writing same but different "article" three times for every mod.
lyravega

Postby Soryuu » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:48 am

Pistols can only shoot one target at a time and can't penetrate targets. Hand crossbows fire exactly like pistols for now. So add piercing/short arc attack for pistols, and single target for hand crossbows? Hm... That just might be what I need to make pistols and hand crossbows a lot more different from each other. Thanks!

In the past few days, I've also tried everything to make my own unittype (editting unittype.hie), but I just couldn't get it to work... :(
Soryuu

Postby lyravega » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:05 pm

Never worked with HIE files before. Anything with RAW etc... I can answer, but not HIE :P
lyravega

Re: One-Handed Crossbows v1.1 (Items progress: 20%)

Postby Soryuu » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:01 am

Updated to 1.1, I only changed base stats and names of the crossbows. For now here is what I have compared to 2handed crossbows: +15% attack speed, -20% damage, superior range, and can ignore 50% of armor on autoattacks. Whites, greens, and blues are done, and I haven't made my own uniques/legendaries yet but can spawn with random affixes.

I'm thinking of giving a chance to pierce on crossbows. As for making pistols a little different, the problem with changing its autoattack into a small cone similar to shotgonnes/cannons is its range (range bonuses from long-range mastery won't work on it, etc)...

Found out a way to change how autoattacks look and behave with a simple edit (add "<STRING>MISSILE: " in weapon's dat). I think I had a little too much fun with it. :)
Last edited by Soryuu on Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Soryuu

Re: One-Handed Crossbows v1.1 (Items progress: 20%)

Postby lyravega » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:44 am

Good news ^_^
lyravega

Re: One-Handed Crossbows v1.1 (Items progress: 30%)

Postby Salan » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:18 am

ok so i got your 1.1 update i will include it in a synergies update so you can get more feedback, and I'll keep updating it as you go!

btw I am altering the base files to be inline with synergies other weapons, love the work btw!

Salan

Re: One-Handed Crossbows v1.1 (Items progress: 30%)

Postby Soryuu » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:27 am

Thank you, Salan. I really appreciate it!

Love what you're doing with Synergies too. I've been following its progress for a while now and I'm impressed at what you've got done so far! Congratulations!
To be honest I'm trying to play vanilla as much as possible before I install any big game-changing mods.

May I ask how you're going to balance these weapons in synergies? I know you've made some changes with 2handers and 1handers, forgot what, but just really curious! :)
Soryuu

Next

Return to Mod Showcase