[TEXTURE] Comic-like touch

Want to share your mod with the world? Feel free!

Postby KelinTor » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:54 pm

Heya another mod for you.

First the original idea is not from me it's from Gorrim for a mod in TL1 see his thread viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5927. I decided to apply it to TL2.
So I converted the original textures to give them a different touch, see the pics below to have a better idea.
Also I made it modular so you can decide to not have all the textures. I made a pack for all the area, one for characters and monsters, another for items armors and weapons and a last one for the UI.
Pics :
Start screen (everything) :
Spoiler: show

Grell (monsters only) and a character creation menu (everything) :

Some wolf attacking (monsters only) :

Download link :
Area http://www.mediafire.com/?k9hxetzaqnag18y
Monsters http://www.mediafire.com/?w27aol0bd0aftci
Items http://www.mediafire.com/?1lfllsvc8oriuj3

I'm trying to add it to RGF but not sure if it'll work. Doesn't work for RGF.
Oh boy that was a lot of work, for reference I edited a total of 3670 .DDS+.PNG. Some files were not edited because the result was quite ugly.
Keep in mind that I'm not a pro at this, this is more like to past time until the pros release better textures (like SSO and other talented people) and huh I won't try that again, nearly got burnout with this one.
Last edited by KelinTor on Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[ITEM] Level 100+ items V1.10
[NPC] KelinTor's Merchant V1.38 New quests+Mercenaries scroll+Boss+Champion wave+Add 7 stashes+transfer your gold+ training dummies
The readme contains the links to all my mods (16 total).
KelinTor

Re: [TEXTURE] Comic-like touch

Postby Kva3imoda » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:23 pm

This is great work! Excellent! :)
Kva3imoda

Postby tsuelue » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:09 pm

Yay, 246 hits and already 1 reply. :(

Thank you so much for making this mod, it´s really awesome. And thank you especially for making it modular, because all of it at once is really to much for my taste. :P

I really like the Area and the Monsters texture, seperately, I guess I will alternate, for now I´m gonna stick with the Area texture. Both look really cool, and it´s way easier to distinguish between friend and foe, that doen´t really work to well when a lot of spells are being cast, especially in mp.

Ui texture I actually don´t like at all, that looks weird.
Items texture looks quite nice, but I mostly play at max camera zoom, so I don´t really see it anyway.

Well, I´ve been told that mods are evil and will bring any game to it´s knees and then chop it´s head off, yet I am gonna use your mod in spite of that. :lol:

Thanks again, love it, and I know this was a lot of work. Really appreciate it.
tsuelue

Postby Catdog » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:27 pm

Happy New year KelinTor :)

Wow that was some work... Looks pretty sweet, trying now. I'm curious how this looks with shaders..
Now i want that Superhero mod Ian works on even more! That's potential for a pretty wicked conversion. and thanks for the split files :)
Catdog

Postby KelinTor » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:00 am

Thanks for the feedback and Happy New Year too. I wish health and prosperity for you all.

Shaders? uh... I don't even know what it is nor how it works (blame it on my noobish level), at least I didn't destroyed all the alphas...
I didn't touched the particles nor the spells effects, wasn't sure how it would look in game. The lights too was untouched because this was not so pretty while testing...
The UI was the main reason I made a modular pak (and thanks to Aeydon and M11xStryker who replied to my mod discussion thread), I wasn't sure many people would like that change but put it anyway just in case. Also like tsuelue some people may not like to have everything changed and prefer little touch here and there.
[NPC] KelinTor's Merchant V1.38 New quests+Mercenaries scroll+Boss+Champion wave+Add 7 stashes+transfer your gold+ training dummies
KelinTor

Postby Seer » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:36 am

This looks fantastic, very cool mod to the game's look.
And so he spoke, and so he spoke,
that lord of Castamere,
But now the rains weep o'er his hall,
with no one there to hear.
Yes now the rains weep o'er his hall,
and not a soul to hear.
Seer

Postby Phoenyx » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:14 am

Seems Borderlands meets Torchlight. :D Well done!
Phoenyx

Postby rabidwolf9 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:47 am

I started using this texture pack yesterday and I really like it. Only trouble I had was I had to learn how to convert it to the new GUTs mod system and that the UI part seems to screw things up a lot. Otherwise it looks great. I'm using it alongside the darker ENB mod and I'm very pleased with the look.

Hopefully you will fix the UI, convert this, and publish it to the steam workshop?
rabidwolf9

Postby KelinTor » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:42 am

I'm quoting my post from another thread about updating my mods :
Heya all,
just to inform you that I intend to make my mods Guts compatible however it will take time due to technical problems where I live, highspeed connection is unavailable for many days till repairs are done (estimated to take 1 or 2 weeks). With the current speed available there is no way I can update TL2. Sorry for the inconvenience and believe me it's horrible for me to wait this much while the official tool is released.

Glad you like it, I will try to fix the UI but as I said I can't fix it now as I can't update my game yet thus not having Guts (non-steam version). I don't know if I can upload it to steamworkshop as it's quite heavy.
The forum is bursting with life and I have to stay aside it's frustrating, meh in the mean time I using this 'vacation' to learn other things.
KelinTor

Postby Sendoria » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:15 pm

Steam mayhaps? looks quite nice, but I have decided to only install mods with steam for torchlight
Sendoria

Postby KelinTor » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:42 am

I have the Runic version and it seems I won't be able to upload to Steam Workshop. I'm still pondering if I should buy another copy of TL2 (Steam version) but I'm not too keen on doing that.

If you won't use my mods because it's not on Steam then it's ok, other texture mods by pros will soon be available and my mods are easily replicable with Guts now.
My mods will be uploaded on RGF and eventually Mediafire.

Just for info my Internet connection is still slow so no Guts yet.
KelinTor

Postby thief425 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:03 pm

Kelin... as a fellow retexer, I'd be glad to do the conversion for you if you'd like since your net is down. I can host it temporarily on a mediafire or 4shared server until you get your network back up and can do it yourself. I also don't mind splitting it up into smaller files and putting it on steam workshop for a few weeks until your ISP provider gets their act together and you can upload a proper one yourself.

I can list it as KelinTor's Comic-Like Touchn and attribute you as the creator for a temporary solution.

As long as you're willing to give me permission to do it, I'll update and compile it for you. Your call :D.

Also, I got TL2 on sale on steam for 9.99 just so I could publish my mod there as well. BUT...and it's a big but... Steam has a 200mb limit for filesize, so it's a pain for retexes because they're so big. I had to split mine up in 4 parts, which causes people to use 4 mod slots for one package. I did have someone asking on steam for me to do a cell-shaded version of Enhanced Retex, but, honestly, that's not the direction or style I enjoy, so I can't imagine putting in the work to retexture 6000+ files for something someone else likes. I'm still working on getting my mod to a place that a lot of people will like so I can release it and move on to my next project. I want to work on spell effects and particles next.
thief425

Postby KelinTor » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:47 am

Thanks for the offer and sorry for the late reply I was sick since Friday and got well enough today.
On good news I bought a Steam copy so I'll publish my mods on Steam too. I was finally able to get my hands on Guts and I'm converting my mods now.
Concerning your offer I'll decline it but I am glad I could count on you in this case.
KelinTor

Postby theblackfrog » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:57 am

that sounds cool if u convert them to a real mod on steam....
theblackfrog

Postby KelinTor » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:18 am

It will be converted but my internet connection is still crappy and I didn't have much free time recently.
I might have the time this week to convert some mods.
KelinTor

Postby Dynestrios » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:03 am

Loving this! Can´t wait for your Internet too work properly again!

Good luck,
Dyne.
Dynestrios

Postby KelinTor » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:10 pm

Mods now uploaded to Steam, do not use the mediafire links as it is not updated yet there.
The UI part got left out, it has some bugs since Runic did change some textures and the UI conversion was quite ugly from the start. I'll make a new post when mediafire links will be up-to-date.
KelinTor

Postby KelinTor » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:20 pm

Update : now it is available throu mediafire links, see OP for updated links.
KelinTor

Postby theblackfrog » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:16 pm

very nice mod, it looks way better ingame....ppl should give it a try
theblackfrog

Postby Dynestrios » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:00 pm

Thx again! Best mod I experienced till now.
Dynestrios

Next

Return to Mod Showcase