Announcing FNIStash [Infinite stash, keyword search, grail]!

Want to share your mod with the world? Feel free!

Announcing FNIStash [Infinite stash, keyword search, grail]!

Postby fluffynukeit » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:20 pm

[Original post Sept 7, 2013]
Hello, Runic Games Forum! I'm not a very active member of these forums or a currently active player of TL2, but for about the last year I have been casually programming an infinite shared stash management program for TL2. Chthon beat me to the punch with Stash Ninja quite a while ago (I blame my recent wedding for distracting me for 10 months :)), but I'm finally comfortable enough with the state of my program to put it out there and put it through its paces. Announcing FNIStash!

Features:
  • Infinite shared stash
  • Search items by key phrases
  • Grail reports that show which items you have not found yet
  • Import/export your items from/to Stash Ninja
  • Reads the TL2 PAK files directly, so is automatically updated with future patches (within reason)
  • Other stuff
The homepage for FNIStash is located here and video tutorial is here. Note: I'm still fleshing out the homepage with subpages that explain all the features. I am certain that FNIStash is not perfect, but it has handled everything I have thrown at it. Instructions for reporting bugs are on the website. I will also try to keep close tabs on this thread, but these forums are blocked at my office so I cannot respond during normal east coast US business hours.

For the record, FNIStash and Stash Ninja each aim to serve different purposes. I think there is room in the community for both, depending on what the user wants to do.

FNIStash was built for collectors, not item modifiers. If you are looking to achieve the Grail in TL2, FNIStash will help you get there. This program was a learning exercise for me, but I hope the end product is truly useful.

Happy Grail hunting!
fluffynukeit

Re: Announcing FNIStash [Infinite stash, keyword search, gra

Postby Foldar » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:03 pm

Great work !! I'll have a chance to actually experiment with this tomorrow, but it looks really useful! :mrgreen:
Foldar

Postby fluffynukeit » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:53 pm

Thanks! I'm very interested in what feedback people have so let me know if you have issues.
fluffynukeit

Postby Salan » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:07 pm

Interesting, will it work with mods? Is the mod file reading only the base files or can we target it to the mod files as well? (it updates itself with patches, if we can target the file for a mod, like synergies or far east preview, it would be very beneficial to the mod community)
Synergies Conversion mod: http://www.synergiesmod.com
Elite monsters, Hero monsters, world bosses, rare dragons, rare trolls, three tiers of End Game Raids, Legendary Armor sets, NEW Legendary Weapons, 3 new classes, Mercenaries, and Angels!

Salan

Postby fluffynukeit » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:48 am

It will work with mods depending on what the mod does. If the mod gives you additional pets, for instance, then it should work just fine because the mod won't be changing the inventory system within the core PAK file. If the mod has new item modifiers, or new skills that can fire through item effects, or something else significant, then FNIStash won't work properly with it. Supporting mods is possible in the future, but I'd like to get the kinks in vanilla ironed out first.

And just a heads up if it wasn't clear: this first release is experimental. I tested it decently but some people are still finding problems depending on what items are in the stash. One guy found that the webpage wouldn't start up properly if he had a particular item in his stash that my code didn't support well.
fluffynukeit

Postby Chthon » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:01 pm

We might be well served to combine projects.
Torchlight 2 Rapid Respec - Putting the "hack" in "hack-n-slash"
StashNinja - INFINITE Stash for Torchlight 2
NullMod - Play together in the same multiplayer game with different mods!
Chthon

Postby fluffynukeit » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:13 pm

Chthon wrote:We might be well served to combine projects.

Hey Chthon! My wife was a big fan of Respec a while back when she was still an active player. Great work all around!

I would definitely be up for some kind of collaboration. One thing I wish I had at the beginning was the stash file format publicly documented. I had been waiting for it since TL2 first came out (check your clockwork core email from Nov 7 2012, :lol: ), and after a while decided I would just try reverse engineering it myself. As far as I know, no such document exists. How would you feel about putting our heads together to document our collective knowledge? I'm open to other ideas as well.

As for combining projects, to be completely honest FNIStash has been out for only a couple days, and I'm not ready to relinquish my sense of ownership just yet. There are bugs to fix and compatibility issues to resolve! I hope it doesn't come off as too selfish, but I want to focus on helping my baby take its first steps.
fluffynukeit

Postby Chthon » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:28 pm

fluffynukeit wrote:
Chthon wrote:We might be well served to combine projects.

Hey Chthon! My wife was a big fan of Respec a while back when she was still an active player. Great work all around!

I would definitely be up for some kind of collaboration. One thing I wish I had at the beginning was the stash file format publicly documented. I had been waiting for it since TL2 first came out (check your clockwork core email from Nov 7 2012, :lol: ), and after a while decided I would just try reverse engineering it myself. As far as I know, no such document exists. How would you feel about putting our heads together to document our collective knowledge? I'm open to other ideas as well.

As for combining projects, to be completely honest FNIStash has been out for only a couple days, and I'm not ready to relinquish my sense of ownership just yet. There are bugs to fix and compatibility issues to resolve! I hope it doesn't come off as too selfish, but I want to focus on helping my baby take its first steps.

I'll try to find time to work on file spec documentation. It's something I've meant to do for the better part of a year now, but never seem to find time for. Also, I'm sure that there's a lot of structures I could probably decipher better now that GUTS is out and I've had a chance to use it, but I've not yet gone back and given it the effort.

To be honest, I was thinking about merging stashninja into fnistash, not the other way around, because (1) I really don't have enough time to give stashninja the attention it deserves, and (2) stashninja is a bit of a mess internally -- it's slow and doesn't scale well -- so it might be a better approach to use stashninja's parser as a guide to work out the kinks in fnistash's parser, then rebuild stashninja's editing/cheating features on top of fnistash (probably keyed to a toggle in the options menu so that purists can have the no-cheating, gotta-catch-em-all experience of your original vision).

Also, you wrote that in haskell?!
Torchlight 2 Rapid Respec - Putting the "hack" in "hack-n-slash"
StashNinja - INFINITE Stash for Torchlight 2
NullMod - Play together in the same multiplayer game with different mods!
Chthon

Postby fluffynukeit » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:53 pm

Chthon wrote:
I'll try to find time to work on file spec documentation. It's something I've meant to do for the better part of a year now, but never seem to find time for. Also, I'm sure that there's a lot of structures I could probably decipher better now that GUTS is out and I've had a chance to use it, but I've not yet gone back and given it the effort.

To be honest, I was thinking about merging stashninja into fnistash, not the other way around, because (1) I really don't have enough time to give stashninja the attention it deserves, and (2) stashninja is a bit of a mess internally -- it's slow and doesn't scale well -- so it might be a better approach to use stashninja's parser as a guide to work out the kinks in fnistash's parser, then rebuild stashninja's editing/cheating features on top of fnistash (probably keyed to a toggle in the options menu so that purists can have the no-cheating, gotta-catch-em-all experience of your original vision).

I know what you mean about lack of time. I'm thrilled I actually had the discipline to get FNIStash in a releasable state before getting distracted by something else (I have a full pipeline). I don't know how well it scales since I've only done testing on databases with a few hundred items. I would definitely take a look at SN's parser code to see if it can fill in any gaps in FNIStash if you'd be willing to share, and then migrating functionality to FNIStash as I can. One of the subpages on my site has links to the two main parsing files in FNIStash on github. Most of the work is done in a function called "getItemBytes" in File/Item.hs. You can see by some comments and generic names like "bytes4" for variables indicate what things I understand and what things I don't. I think it should be recognizable to somebody who has knowledge of what it's trying to do, even if you don't know Haskell.

Chthon wrote:Also, you wrote that in haskell?!

Yes, indeed. I was curious about Haskell for a long time, and eventually realized that I wouldn't learn it very well at all unless I tried to build something with it. Sometimes it was messy, but it really started to shine when chaining tons of PAK file lookups together.
fluffynukeit

Postby fluffynukeit » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:10 pm

I have just release version r1.1 of FNIStash. This version has a few fixes and improvements.

• Fixes a bug for items with chance to teleport, health gain per monster, and mana gain per monster. These items will no longer cause FNIStash to crash.
  • Adds more visibility in the console window into which items are being registered, so if one causes a crash you know which one.
  • Errors during initialization are reported in the start up window, so you can more easily see if you have FNIStash misconfigured.

I don't think an export/import migration is needed if you want to upgrade. Replacing the executable is enough.

Chthon, however you want to do a parser logic exchange, let me know!
fluffynukeit

Postby Zidders » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:54 pm

Can you feel the magic? I can feel the magic. Oh yeah, it's magic time.

Spoiler: show
Zidders

Postby Foldar » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:48 am

Hey fluffy, I finally got a chance to test this out and I don't own the steam version of the game :(

Foldar

Postby fluffynukeit » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:04 am

Foldar wrote:Hey fluffy, I finally got a chance to test this out and I don't own the steam version of the game :(

There are instructions on the homepage setup guide to reconfigure it for non steam installations. It's simply configured for steam by default.
fluffynukeit

Postby Foldar » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:43 am

Got it, thanks fluffy :)
Foldar

Postby Sogetsu » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:28 pm

Wow this is so awesome, I am looking for it later, still trying to decide what "Stash Mode" to use, but I think you simply won man hahaha
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sogetsu

Postby fluffynukeit » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:50 pm

Hi everyone. Just wanted to let you know that release r1.2 is out. It has some item parse fixes for some giant fish and also fixes a few other minor bugs. Check it out!
fluffynukeit

Postby fluffynukeit » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:15 pm

Hey everyone. I wanted to let you all know that a new TEST release of FNIStash is now available, t1.3. This release allows users to DELETE unwanted items from the registry, as some users found their registries polluted with unwanted or consumed items. If you want to try this test release, there are quick upgrade instructions on the FNIStash download page.

If you have problems with it, please let me know. I only finished it in the last hour or so and haven't tested it thoroughly yet, but I'm pretty confident in the results.

Happy grail hunting!
fluffynukeit

Return to Mod Showcase