[WIP] Unearthed Arcana - Torchlight 2 Expansion

Want to share your mod with the world? Feel free!

[WIP] Unearthed Arcana - Torchlight 2 Expansion

Postby DeeZire » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:31 pm

Hi all, like many of you here I fell in love with Torchlight II and can't get enough of it. I've also seen a few threads about extra content and expansion packs, so in the spirit of how nice the folks here are I figured I'd give something back and share this with you all :)

There's a surprising amount of stuff in the game that's never used, seen or utilised for various reasons so I have meticulously pieced all of this together over a long period of time and built this mod around that. The aim has been to remain true and faithful to the core game and the developers vision, whilst at the same time remaining entirely consistent with the game world and it's lore.

What I've tried to achieve is something that in terms of it's looks, gameplay and consistency with the game is as good as what Runic would release - because 99% of what the mod features has actually been created by Runic themselves, and given how much I've done, what you have here is probably the next best thing to an official expansion pack. It's on this basis that I used the name 'Unearthed Arcana' as I thought it was quite fitting :)

I've reserved a post below this for updates as I'm currently playtesting and will make any tweaks based on your feedback. The aim is to release on or around the game's anniversary so with that looming and D3 announcing it's expansion pack I thought the time was right :)

The amount of work that's gone into this is insane, but your thoughts, feelings and feedback are welcome.

TLDR;-
- With the latest patch & this mod installed you pretty much have an expansion pack!
- More loot! Over 100 more items
- More monsters! Over 15 more monsters plus over 10 skins and models for existing monster variants
- More to do! Over 10 more random events
- More challenges! Countless more skills for monsters not used in the game
- More quests! Over 10 more complete side quests
- More Phase Beasts! 3 more Phase Beast challenges
- More fishing! Over 20 more fish to be found
- More Mapworks! Over 5 more maproom maps
- More dungeons! 7 entirely new random dungeons ported from Torchlight I

GENERAL ENCHANTMENTS
Spoiler: show
- Added a number of new loading screens based on original artwork by Mike Franchina who worked on the game. Hope he doesn't mind as it was a real shame these did not make the final release.
- Increased the multiplayer maximum player count to 8.
- Fixed a number of issues on the charge bars - the Engineer bar now has different sounds for each charge and the Embermage bar now has it's own sound when full. The Outlander bar now glows properly when full and also has its own sound to indicate this (all of the sounds employed are unused in the game). These changes mean that all charge bars now properly function as they should do including sounds and glow effects.
- Reduced the duration of the tips menu to 10 seconds and the pet return notification to 5 seconds as I felt these got too intrusive even if they proved to be useful.
- Added 3 new fame levels with titles meaning it is now possible to attain 135 skill points in total. This change enhances player character builds without impacting on the core gameplay due to the structure and the mechanics of the skill point system, and was necessitated by the addition of new quests and events (see later) - this way players cannot become over-powered too early in the game by acquiring extra fame that these events provide.
- Enabled a multitude of player character and narrator voices that are unused in the game to reduce repetition and duplication of the existing ones.
- Added a number of new level & layout chunks to existing dungeon tilesets for much greater random environmental variety. I have also fixed and enabled the chunks that are in the game already but are never used or seen.
- Added 3 new emotes to multiplayer games (animations in the game but unused).
- A large number of improvements have been made to the game in the form of sounds, animations, models, music, particles, dungeon environments and more - each individual change is not that significant but the overall collective effect greatly enhances the game. You are sure to notice something you haven't seen or heard before and all of these things were in the game files but never used (note that these are things that are specific to Torchlight II, not recycled leftovers from Torchlight I that remain in the game files).
- There are a number of NPC dialogues that refer to names, places and events that no longer appear in the game due to changes made at various stages of development. There are also a number of NPC dialogues that for various reasons are never seen or used, and instances where NPCs refer to completion of events (or refer to non-completion of events) inappropriately. All such issues have been fixed, so whilst I have kept all of the dialogues intact to preserve the lore and game world canon, I have corrected all errors and made use of those that would not appear. This means that by interacting with NPCs there is a little more to be discovered about the lore and the storyline than you may previously have known. Note that, as in the standard game, an NPC may have more than one dialogue at any one time so interacting with them more than once may reveal more.
- Fixed an issue where it was possible to cast map portals in some areas of the game where it should not be possible to do so (notably some dungeon 'boss' rooms where it should not be possible by design as it makes them artificially easy).
- It should no longer be possible to obtain legendary items from Gamblers - some of the high level items added in a patch were classified as unique items instead which made them available to the pool of items open to the Gamblers, so these have been rendered unavailable to them.
- Enchanters will now walk away after disenchanting items in the same way they do after enchanting items - I made this change to avoid them being unfairly exploited as the concept seemed to be that they walk away after they have provided their services.
- Bincho The Haggler has been enabled in the game - will you find him? He functions exactly like the other Gamblers and has a small number of unidentified items for sale at half price. This NPC was in the game but unused - please be assured that Bincho is not responsible for the sale of kitchens.
- Added a Rejuvination Potion recipe to the Item Combiner - this functions in the same manner as Health and Mana potion recipes and it seemed odd to me that it wasn't in the game already.
- The 'Gem Smasher' and 'Gem Saver' NPCs now have voices as the other merchant NPCs do.
- A Respec Potion has been added to all general goods vendors.
- All of the random dungeons from Torchlight I have been added to the game - Mines, Lava Prison, Palace, Caves, Fortress, Ruins and Crypt - and have been refined and enhanced so that they are perfectly consistent with Torchlight II. Access to these ancient places is only possible through use of a Mysterious Portal scroll that stands a small chance of dropping in the world. These dungeons will always scale to your character level, will always be randomly generated and consist of several floors with a 'reward' room at the end.
- It is now genuinely possible to increase your fishing luck with items (although the items that do this are very rare) - a bug in the affixes meant any such items increased your magic-finding luck instead - the addition of a large number of items available from fishing (many from Torchlight 1) have made this useful now.
- Where appropriate, penalties on items or skills are now in red text as they were in Torchlight I to make it a little easier to compare items - the implementation of this is not perfect but I personally find it better.
- A number of typo's and spelling/grammatical issues have been fixed thought the game. I have also fixed a couple of instances where primary quests would use green text and vice versa which caused some confusion.
- Fixed several issues where some player skills requirements and/or tier bonuses were incorrect.
- There are several other things hidden in the game files that I have included or enabled, although I will not reveal those as in the world of Torchlight I think it's best that some things should remain a mystery...

ITEMISATION ENCHANTMENTS
- Enabled a number of items that do not normally drop or appear in the game, including weapons and armour as well as socketables and spells - for the sake of not spoiling anything they are not listed here although there is quite a lot (over 100).
- A number of spells that are unused in the game (or do not work) have been fixed and enabled so they now drop in the world and can be used.
- Changed a number of icons for fish to ones which I think are more fitting and to make use of some that are not used in the game. Also enabled a number of fish that are unused in the game some of which have effects carried over from Torchlight I.
- Renamed Skull of X'n!troph to Skull of X'n'troph (presumed it was a typo).
- Alchemist Rings now stand a small chance of dropping from the Alchemist. These four rings are each specific to a character class but a bug in the drop tables prevented them appearing in the game.
- Moved General Grell's helms into the Grell's Arsenal set from the Runemaster set to avoid confusion. Note that it is still entirely possible to obtain a complete Runemaster set and thus obtain all of the relevant bonuses. In addition, Grell's set items will now only drop from Grell or his minions and will no longer drop 'in the 'wild'.
- Moved the Vitruvian Ring from the Aegis set to the Cornerstone set. I assumed its placement was an error as its level and description seem more fitting to Cornerstone, and the Cornerstone set was missing a ring making it impossible to complete. Note that it is still entirely possible to obtain a complete Aegis set and thus obtain all of the relevant bonuses so this change now makes that possible for the Cornerstone set too.
- For ease of identification, magic (green) items now have green particles when they drop in the world rather than sharing the blue particles used by rare items - this means their colour scheme now matches their text and icon overlay.
- To make them easier to spot, legendary item drops now have their own red particles and the text when they drop now stays bright red (they normally share the same particles as unique items and their text would turn gold on mouseover - these things often lead to them being overlooked as unique items instead).
- A number of rare items have been re-classified as unique items - this is merely me being picky as the items concerned are unique in that they are all 'one of a kind' so the difference is purely cosmetic in the UI.

QUEST & EVENT ENCHANTMENTS
- Fixed a bug where the dialogues that appear for random events and encounters always informed you that you would receive no gold, experience or fame even if they were to be awarded - the correct numbers now appear. In addition, all such events now have titles instead of being blank (to remain consistent with the game world the titles employed are from unused events or quests that remain residual in the game files).
- In line with the Act II introductory cinematic and some NPC dialogues, the Herkon Embercraft will not appear in Zeryphesh until you complete the 'Embercraft Repair' event in the Ossean Wastes - you will therefore be unable to travel to another town until this is completed. In addition, completion of this event will now result in the Embercraft not appearing in the Ossean Wastes thereafter.
- Fixed a bug that prevented the banner appearing and announcing the start of Act IV.
- Fixed the issue where the word 'hidden' could remain persistent in the Quest Log once you had completed the main storyline.
- The creature that carries the key to the locked golden chest that can be found in overworld areas may now be one of two instead of being the same one all the time - it may be a Twistblade Pixie or Bittersprite (the Twistblade Pixie is in the game but not used).
- A number of quests that are in the game but are unused, incomplete, bugged or otherwise unavailable have been fixed, completed and enabled where relevant;-
- 'Wash Away My Sins' can be found in The Temple Steppes (this now appears instead of the 'Ghosts Of Plunder Cove' quest)
- 'Angry Beasts' may be found in The Temple Steppes (this quest may only appear randomly)
- 'The Merryweather Poultice' can be found in The Temple Steppes
- 'Ghost Of A Chance' can be found in The Frosted Hills
- 'Body Work' can be found in the Ossean Wastes
- 'The Crab Trap' can be found in The Salt Barrens
- 'The Key To Victory' can be found in The Salt Barrens
- 'Ghosts of Plunder Cove' has been moved to near The Ship Graveyard in The Salt Barrens - it makes more sense to me there and appears to be where it was originally designed (the original trigger and quest giver were unused)
- 'Shadow of the Skara' has been fixed so that the bonus reward is now correctly made available
- 'Seeing Things' can be found in The Blightbogs
- 'The Growing Rift' can be found in Rivenskull Gorge
- It is now actually possible to obtain the ring described in the quest 'The Locket' - it stands a chance of dropping from the Wraith Lord (the two variants of this item were unused in the game).
- Elder Valin now has a unique model (this was unused in the game).
- Lord Taldimut now has a unique model - his model was actually given to The Faceless King so I have changed his to the Zerapahi ghost model - things seem more fitting to me this way around.
- The mechanism for events and secondary quests has been slightly adjusted in that their locations will no longer be shown on the auto-map or made immediately obvious as to where their objectives are. I made this change as I wanted to encourage more exploration and interaction rather than have players go immediately to where was needed, so this way things are a little less obvious. To supplement this, any items that must be collected in any quest are now indicated on the auto-map with their own icon once they are discovered to serve as a reminder.
- A couple of icons for quest and level items have been changed to ones I think are more fitting and to make use of those that are not used in the game.
- All Phase Beast rooms now stand an equal chance of appearing in their respective zones. In addition, three Phase Beast challenges that do not normally appear in the game have been fixed and enabled. For the sake of completeness, all Phase Beast challenges now have an 'instructions' message (a couple did not have them).
- You can no longer send your pet back to town from within any of the Phase Beast Challenge rooms.
- A number of random events exist in the game but never appear as they are bugged, incomplete or otherwise disabled - these have all been fixed, completed and added in appropriate areas so there are now many more random events that can occur throughout the game.
- Bounty Boards have been added to each of the 3 towns which will provide side quests depending on certain conditions being met.
- Quests in Act 4 are now all displayed appropriately in the HUD so it is clearer what you need to do and where you need to go.

MONSTER ENCHANTMENTS
- Enabled a number of monster names and titles that are unused in the game but which appeared in Torchlight I.
- A number of monsters that are never used or seen have been enabled, fixed and added to the relevant areas of the game. I have also added a small number of monster variants from Torchlight 1 that do not appear on Torchlight 2.
- A number of existing monsters have been made more unique to reduce duplication and repetition by making use of models and skins that would otherwise not be seen or used in the game.
- All Ezrohir in outdoor desert areas are now their correct desert variants rather than some being of standard appearance.
- There are a number of skills and abilities that are not used by the relevant monsters in the game - these have all been fixed and assigned where appropriate, making quite a few encounters a little less predictable.
- The Swamp Golem that protects Cacklespit has been re-named to 'Ancient Rag Doll'. I did this just for kicks as this is the monster that should be defeated in order to earn the (broken) Steam achievement 'Playing With Dolls'.

NEW GAME PLUS & ENDGAME ENCHANTMENTS
- All Mapworks maps have been overhauled so that they now all properly use their correct themes. Additionally, the maps now use monster sets that are more fitting with their environment and all 'bosses' at the end of each map are now announced in a similar manner to the ones in the main game.
- Nether Portals are now only available in NG+ rather than randomly appearing in Acts II & III in normal mode. In addition, the treasure found in Nether dungeons has been upweighted as it only uses the standard small treasure chest spawn class which I found was unrewarding on the balance of their difficulty and the point at which they appear in the game.
- Fixed a couple of issues where events intended only for NG+ could randomly appear in Normal mode.
- Ice Cave type maps that are available in the Mapworks now have their own icon for ease of identification (the correct icon is now used which was not utilised in the game).
- More maps have been added to the Mapworks that make use of the Desert Caves tileset - this means that each dungeon environment in the game is now represented within the maps available in the Mapworks.
- More random dungeons have been added to the game in NG+ in exactly the same manner that the last patch did, however this only touched Act 1 so I have fixed and added some unused dungeons to the other acts.
Last edited by DeeZire on Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unearthed Arcana - Torchlight 2 Expansion
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=57897
DeeZire

Re: [WIP] Unearthed Arcana - Torchlight 2 Expansion

Postby DeeZire » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:02 am

Latest release - please always use the latest release of the mod.

Note that I have put a little time aside for an updated release as there are a few more things I want to do.

Enjoy!

Runic Games Fansite;-
http://www.runicgamesfansite.com/vbdown ... loadid=555
Last edited by DeeZire on Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
DeeZire

Postby bumbleguppy » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:09 am

I was drooling by the time I finished reading all these changes and fixes, I want it! Is there somewhere I can download this mod?
bumbleguppy

Postby Graeystone » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:44 am

How will this work with MCMM and SynergiesMod?
Graeystone

Postby DeeZire » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:39 pm

@bumbleguppy I'm hoping to release on or around the games anniversary. The mod is now feature complete and I'm currently in a full play testing, bug shooting and beautification pass which I expect will take up to two weeks so Sept 29th looks like a likely release date.

@Graeystone I haven't a clue, although I have not designed it with anybody else's mod in mind as I don't have time for this and it would be a support nightmare every time I made an update or change. Given the scale and number of changes I have made to accomplish this, plus the number of files I have had to modify, the chances are it won't work with many other mods. Note that it already includes the mods that Runic have released - Extra Chunky, Blanks Landmarks, Potion of Respec, 8 Player.
DeeZire

Postby Zidders » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:02 am

Props for the 1st edition AD&D reference.
As my footsteps on the roadway click
There's a place I've yet to be.
My heart is always homesick
For a place I'll never see.
-Zid, "Homesick"
Zidders

Postby darkpoulp » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:41 am

DeeZire wrote:- Renamed Skull of X'n!troph to Skull of X'ntroph (presumed it was a typo).
- Enabled a number of monster names and titles that are unused in the game but which appeared in Torchlight I. I have also removed the 'Alternative 3' name on the assumption that it is erroneous.

The exclamation mark is also a letter from the International phonetic alphabet (it represents a "click", no idea how you do that though), i don't think it was a typo.
I don't think that Alternative 3 is erroneous neither, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_3 for example.

BTW, now that you made everyone drool over your mod, when and where do you plan to release it?
darkpoulp

Postby DeeZire » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:54 am

@Zidders clearly I'm not the only one with RPG history, good spot that's exactly where I got the inspiration from!

@darkpoulp I'm planning on a Sept 29th release, was aiming for Sept 20th to coincide with the games anniversary but still some play testing to do and I'm away on holiday at the moment. Thanks for highlighting those things I'll re-consider the changes in light of that information, I did not realise.
DeeZire

Postby BrianW » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:30 am

Cool mod! Just wanted to confirm that Alternative 3 is not an error.
Runic Games Community Manager :: Mr. Nice Guy

Need help? Send a PM or contact customer support. You can also check our knowledgebase for solutions to common issues.
BrianW
Runic Staff

Postby Rusty » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:19 am

This mod sounds awesome. I have seen many of the unused things in GUTS, but never thought about actually using them. Good job and this sounds huge!
Rusty

Postby strukto78 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:45 pm

awesome! I can't wait to play this!

actually I don't think this will give many problems with Synergies, if it does loading it below Synergies will probably fix them
strukto78

Postby Groomz » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:31 am

strukto78 wrote:awesome! I can't wait to play this!

actually I don't think this will give many problems with Synergies, if it does loading it below Synergies will probably fix them

I hope so because I just can't wait for this one, but I don't want to give up synergies in order to play it.
Groomz

Postby 12aptor » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:06 pm

This looks pretty amazing, but could you post some screenshots or a link to some on an external photo website? I would still like to see some of the gameplay changes, not just read about them. Thx :D
12aptor

Postby DeeZire » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:14 pm

@12aptor I'm on holiday right now so I can only play test and bug shoot on my laptop, I will then do any finishing touches when I return as GUTS only works properly on my desktop. I will try to get some screens up next week. I might just do a gameplay video or trailer while I'm play testing as a few people are wondering how the TL1 dungeons look and play in TL2 (the answer is 'very good indeed'), this way I can show a lot of stuff.
DeeZire

Postby Salan » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:30 pm

it'll be a nice addition to any conversion mod, or even normal play throughs.. He's not really changing the balance anywhere, just putting things in that didn't make it from launch.
Synergies Conversion mod: http://www.synergiesmod.com
Elite monsters, Hero monsters, world bosses, rare dragons, rare trolls, three tiers of End Game Raids, Legendary Armor sets, NEW Legendary Weapons, 3 new classes, Mercenaries, and Angels!

Salan

Postby Danu88 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:35 am

This will be nice to have this MOD :D :D :D :D
``~~ King Angel ~~``
Danu88

Postby Killious » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:19 am

Really looking forward to this one releasing. Thank you for making this for us all :)
Please Don't Feed The Trolls
Killious

Postby mamba » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:19 am

Really looking forward to this one.

Do you mind me adding it to my merge mod http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=150076061?
mamba

Postby DeeZire » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:57 pm

I've updated my original post with a couple more updates and changes I've made during play testing.

mamba wrote:Do you mind me adding it to my merge mod http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=150076061?

Please don't, it's not even released yet and when it is merging it with other mods will (I) require a LOT of work to ensure this one still functions properly and (II) will become a support nightmare for me in terms of eliminating any bugs that are found. This mod is very large and quite complex, it modifies a lot of the original game files and has not been written with other mods in mind.

Please note that this mod already includes the mods released by Runic - Blanks Landmarks (with a couple of bug fixes), Extra Chunky, 8 Player and Respec Potion.

I will be releasing a couple more separate mods later on that are not part of this one as they deviate a little too much from the core game so I did not include them - one that replicates the Ancient Device and Crumbling Vault from D3 and another that adds the skills to each class that are not used in the standard game - feel free to include those ones in any compilations :)
DeeZire

Postby GeorgiaBoy » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:55 pm

Hi DeeZire,

Thanks for your efforts! Hopefully the Sept 29th release will go off without a hitch.

Take Care,

GB
GeorgiaBoy

Next

Return to Mod Showcase