[WIP] Unearthed Arcana - Torchlight 2 Expansion

Want to share your mod with the world? Feel free!

[WIP] Unearthed Arcana - Torchlight 2 Expansion

Postby DeeZire » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:31 pm

Hi all, like many of you here I fell in love with Torchlight II and can't get enough of it. I've also seen a few threads about extra content and expansion packs, so in the spirit of how nice the folks here are I figured I'd give something back and share this with you all :)

There's a surprising amount of stuff in the game that's never used, seen or utilised for various reasons so I have meticulously pieced all of this together over a long period of time and built this mod around that. The aim has been to remain true and faithful to the core game and the developers vision, whilst at the same time remaining entirely consistent with the game world and it's lore.

What I've tried to achieve is something that in terms of it's looks, gameplay and consistency with the game is as good as what Runic would release - because 99% of what the mod features has actually been created by Runic themselves, and given how much I've done, what you have here is probably the next best thing to an official expansion pack. It's on this basis that I used the name 'Unearthed Arcana' as I thought it was quite fitting :)

I've reserved a post below this for updates as I'm currently playtesting and will make any tweaks based on your feedback. The aim is to release on or around the game's anniversary so with that looming and D3 announcing it's expansion pack I thought the time was right :)

The amount of work that's gone into this is insane, but your thoughts, feelings and feedback are welcome.

UPDATE: ReadMe file now included in the download (.RAR).
Last edited by DeeZire on Tue May 17, 2016 1:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Unearthed Arcana - Torchlight 2 Expansion
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=57897
DeeZire

Re: [WIP] Unearthed Arcana - Torchlight 2 Expansion

Postby DeeZire » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:02 am

Latest release - please always use the latest release of the mod.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5w_m- ... sp=sharing
Last edited by DeeZire on Tue May 17, 2016 1:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
DeeZire

Postby bumbleguppy » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:09 am

I was drooling by the time I finished reading all these changes and fixes, I want it! Is there somewhere I can download this mod?
bumbleguppy

Postby DeeZire » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:39 pm

@bumbleguppy I'm hoping to release on or around the games anniversary. The mod is now feature complete and I'm currently in a full play testing, bug shooting and beautification pass which I expect will take up to two weeks so Sept 29th looks like a likely release date.

@Graeystone I haven't a clue, although I have not designed it with anybody else's mod in mind as I don't have time for this and it would be a support nightmare every time I made an update or change. Given the scale and number of changes I have made to accomplish this, plus the number of files I have had to modify, the chances are it won't work with many other mods. Note that it already includes the mods that Runic have released - Extra Chunky, Blanks Landmarks, Potion of Respec, 8 Player.
DeeZire

Postby Zidders » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:02 am

Props for the 1st edition AD&D reference.
Spoiler: show
Zidders

Postby darkpoulp » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:41 am

DeeZire wrote:- Renamed Skull of X'n!troph to Skull of X'ntroph (presumed it was a typo).
- Enabled a number of monster names and titles that are unused in the game but which appeared in Torchlight I. I have also removed the 'Alternative 3' name on the assumption that it is erroneous.

The exclamation mark is also a letter from the International phonetic alphabet (it represents a "click", no idea how you do that though), i don't think it was a typo.
I don't think that Alternative 3 is erroneous neither, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_3 for example.

BTW, now that you made everyone drool over your mod, when and where do you plan to release it?
darkpoulp

Postby DeeZire » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:54 am

@Zidders clearly I'm not the only one with RPG history, good spot that's exactly where I got the inspiration from!

@darkpoulp I'm planning on a Sept 29th release, was aiming for Sept 20th to coincide with the games anniversary but still some play testing to do and I'm away on holiday at the moment. Thanks for highlighting those things I'll re-consider the changes in light of that information, I did not realise.
DeeZire

Postby BrianW » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:30 am

Cool mod! Just wanted to confirm that Alternative 3 is not an error.
BrianW
Community Manager // Mr. Nice Guy

For technical support, send a PM or contact us. You can check our knowledgebase for solutions to common issues.

Check out our brand new IP, called Hob!
BrianW
Runic Staff

Postby Rusty » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:19 am

This mod sounds awesome. I have seen many of the unused things in GUTS, but never thought about actually using them. Good job and this sounds huge!
Rusty

Postby strukto78 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:45 pm

awesome! I can't wait to play this!

actually I don't think this will give many problems with Synergies, if it does loading it below Synergies will probably fix them
strukto78

Postby Groomz » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:31 am

strukto78 wrote:awesome! I can't wait to play this!

actually I don't think this will give many problems with Synergies, if it does loading it below Synergies will probably fix them

I hope so because I just can't wait for this one, but I don't want to give up synergies in order to play it.
Groomz

Postby 12aptor » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:06 pm

This looks pretty amazing, but could you post some screenshots or a link to some on an external photo website? I would still like to see some of the gameplay changes, not just read about them. Thx :D
12aptor

Postby DeeZire » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:14 pm

@12aptor I'm on holiday right now so I can only play test and bug shoot on my laptop, I will then do any finishing touches when I return as GUTS only works properly on my desktop. I will try to get some screens up next week. I might just do a gameplay video or trailer while I'm play testing as a few people are wondering how the TL1 dungeons look and play in TL2 (the answer is 'very good indeed'), this way I can show a lot of stuff.
DeeZire

Postby Salan » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:30 pm

it'll be a nice addition to any conversion mod, or even normal play throughs.. He's not really changing the balance anywhere, just putting things in that didn't make it from launch.
Synergies Conversion mod: http://www.synergiesmod.com
Elite monsters, Hero monsters, world bosses, rare dragons, rare trolls, three tiers of End Game Raids, Legendary Armor sets, NEW Legendary Weapons, 3 new classes, Mercenaries, and Angels!

Salan

Postby Danu88 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:35 am

This will be nice to have this MOD :D :D :D :D
``~~ King Angel ~~``
Danu88

Postby Killious » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:19 am

Really looking forward to this one releasing. Thank you for making this for us all :)
Please Don't Feed The Trolls
Killious

Postby mamba » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:19 am

Really looking forward to this one.

Do you mind me adding it to my merge mod http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=150076061?
mamba

Postby DeeZire » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:57 pm

I've updated my original post with a couple more updates and changes I've made during play testing.

mamba wrote:Do you mind me adding it to my merge mod http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=150076061?

Please don't, it's not even released yet and when it is merging it with other mods will (I) require a LOT of work to ensure this one still functions properly and (II) will become a support nightmare for me in terms of eliminating any bugs that are found. This mod is very large and quite complex, it modifies a lot of the original game files and has not been written with other mods in mind.

Please note that this mod already includes the mods released by Runic - Blanks Landmarks (with a couple of bug fixes), Extra Chunky, 8 Player and Respec Potion.

I will be releasing a couple more separate mods later on that are not part of this one as they deviate a little too much from the core game so I did not include them - one that replicates the Ancient Device and Crumbling Vault from D3 and another that adds the skills to each class that are not used in the standard game - feel free to include those ones in any compilations :)
DeeZire

Next

Return to Mod Showcase